PDA

View Full Version : DMG Errata: Injury-based poisons work for one hit

Demonic Spoon
2015-12-21, 10:49 AM
Errata is here (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/errata-monster-manual-and-dungeon-master%E2%80%99s-guide) if you haven't seen it.

The nature of the DMG poisons has been something of a hot topic in the past. Here's what the new DMG says about injury-based poisons:

Injury poison can be applied to weapons, ammunition, trap components, and other objects that deal piercing or slashing damage and remains potent until delivered through a wound or washed off. A creature that takes piercing or slashing damage from an object coated with the poison is exposed to its effects.

Thoughts? I'm pretty happy about this (poison damage does some pretty bad things to damage parity between classes), but it does make the poisons, especially at the costs given, a lot less useful.

TentacleSurpris
2015-12-21, 10:56 AM
So what happens when you kill a Drow Elite Warrior and pick up his shortsword, crossbow, and bolts? Or is that a different can of worms?

Nishant
2015-12-21, 10:58 AM
I would rule he probably has some extra poison on him; given drow culture, you really wouldn't want to be left without it on the return trip. Makes sense lore-wise, and awards players if they want the poison.

Corran
2015-12-21, 11:35 AM
I like how it lasts until delivered or until it' washed off the weapon. More realistic and you dont have to be in a rush after you apply it (which was kind of silly, as that is how it was played by the previous rules). I also like that the effect takes place only once (ie a fixed number of times), so that it isnt influenced by the number of attacks. But it's true, now you pay too much for just one minor effect, the ost should go down.

Demonic Spoon
2015-12-21, 12:19 PM
Buying mechanical power doesn't show up anywhere else in the edition by default, and I think that's for the best. I rather like the idea that poison is something rare you use for very specific cases (or if you're uber-rich), not something you keep on hand for every fight.

Tanarii
2015-12-21, 01:22 PM
I think the PHB Basic Poison needs the same errata. Because otherwise some people will try to claim that this is a DMG errata and it doesn't apply. :smallwink:

SwordChuck
2015-12-21, 01:37 PM
I think the PHB Basic Poison needs the same errata. Because otherwise some people will try to claim that this is a DMG errata and it doesn't apply. :smallwink:

In a way, they would be right. Players don't have access to the DMG rules and thus can't just say "I'm using this from the DMG".

To expect them to use an errata from a book they don't own and can't really use... Is a bit silly

Shining Wrath
2015-12-21, 02:32 PM
It makes sense; some of the DPR examples where a high-level fighter applied, say, wyvern's venom got to very large numbers. A lot of high level creatures are immune or resistant, but that high level fighter could chop his way through, e.g., a tribe of cloud giants in a minute.

Knaight
2015-12-21, 02:43 PM
I'd consider this long overdue. Poison remains useful without being brokenly overpowered, ranged characters start getting the most benefit out of it, and it works best in surprise attacks. All in all, sounds about right.

SwordChuck
2015-12-21, 02:47 PM
It makes sense; some of the DPR examples where a high-level fighter applied, say, wyvern's venom got to very large numbers. A lot of high level creatures are immune or resistant, but that high level fighter could chop his way through, e.g., a tribe of cloud giants in a minute.

I need to make a bunch of low CR Cloud Giants... I like the idea of a high level fighter mowing down a tribe of cloud giants...

Tanarii
2015-12-21, 02:50 PM
In a way, they would be right. Players don't have access to the DMG rules and thus can't just say "I'm using this from the DMG".

To expect them to use an errata from a book they don't own and can't really use... Is a bit sillyIf the DM knows about the errata, and chooses to use it, he can pass the information along.

But yes, I agree, despite my tone in my last post. That's why I think they need to add a PHB errata as well.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-21, 04:06 PM
I need to make a bunch of low CR Cloud Giants... I like the idea of a high level fighter mowing down a tribe of cloud giants...

Rename them "mist giants", give them a low AC because when you swing at them it's hard to mist.

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-21, 05:44 PM
Rename them "mist giants", give them a low AC because when you swing at them it's hard to mist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verypunny