PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Adventures

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Bigmac
2007-12-11, 09:54 AM
The beasts, engulfed in the swarm, have had enough. Finally managing to get their bearings, both animals decide that the chance for food is not worth the trouble and stings they are recieving. The animals turn and begin running away down the corridor, fleeing from the swarm and moving out of sight as they do so.

Asmodeus
2007-12-11, 10:14 AM
Wrench

"Well, that was an unusually fortunate turn of events."

Wrench hurries back to working on the rope knots.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-12, 11:01 AM
Butch

Butch grumbles under his breath before speaking up. "We can't leave that passage unsecured. We're badly exposed out here. Is there any way to collapse the walls in around the opening to block it?"

Asmodeus
2007-12-12, 11:38 AM
Wrench

"Not unless you carry some explosives with you that you haven't told us about. Now hurry up with the rope so we can get to the ship!"

As soon as the rope is ready, Wrench will start climbing down. (Take 10)

Velvet Elvis
2007-12-13, 01:41 AM
Caskin

The cloud of aggressive little bats give chase, nipping at the bear-like creatures until they and the swarm are out of sight. Caskin continues concentrating for another few moments to ensure the creatures have reason to continue to flee for as long as possible, eventually sensing that the swarm has dissipated. The already dulled din of chittering and grey noise of thousands of tiny flapping wings suddenly ceases, leaving only the sound of the rushing water as it tumbles over the ledge.

"Well, that was interesting," Caskin says offhandedly as he scuttles down the wall and hops to the floor on his way to join the rest of the band near the falls.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-16, 12:33 PM
Butch

With the danger gone, Butch prepares again to leap the creak. With a running start, he vaults across easily.

He called out across the din of the waterfall. "WRENCH! YOU AND MR. CECIL KEEP WORKING ON GETTING TO THE SHIP. WE'LL SECURE THE CAVE."

Turning to Azmirith and Caskin. "Azzy, Mr. Caskin, I need you two to cover me while I take some of these corpses over there. If you've got some suggestions for a quick fire to block the passage that would be good as well. Hopefully, those creatures will be satisfied with the bodies so that a few arrows will be enough to keep them at bay. Mr. Caskin, that ledge to the south looks like a good point for your attacks. Azzy, you and I will take up a position at the other tunnel exit directly across from that cave. If the creatures decide to come out, we'll convince them that the corpses are plenty tasty."

Take 10 to jump across river
Take bodies to N13
If available build fire at N12
Azmirith and Butch stationed at N2 and O2
Caskin stationed at T7

Velvet Elvis
2007-12-17, 01:43 AM
Caskin

Caskin turns to look where Butch has decided was a good spot for him to lurk. "M'yeah, I suppose that's as good a spot as any. Can I borrow that sunrod you lit up earlier?"

Accepting the glowing stick from Butch, Caskin heads toward the ledge, but not in a straight line. Instead, he makes his way back almost to the same spot he was in earlier, taking a moment to peek down the corridor where the bear-things had disappeared. Seeing and hearing no sign of them, he continues along the wall and eventually scales it to achieve a vantage point allowing him to look into the passage that opens onto the ledge he's expected to man.

Seeing nothing untoward with his naked eye, the sunrod is flung across the ledge mouth and into the dimness beyond. He didn't mind being set out all by himself, but he wasn't about to do it with his back to an entirely unexplored passage.

Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 09:36 AM
Wrench

With Butch occupied with other things, Wrench will take up the task of knotting the rope together, then tying it to the piton, and letting it dangle over the cliff.

As soon as he's finished, he calls out "Ready over here."

{OOC: Taking 10 on use rope checks to tie firm knots.

With a rope and a wall to brace against, the DC to climb is 5. easily accomplished by anyone who is conscious.}

Bigmac
2007-12-21, 08:25 AM
Butch begins his grisly work of moving the corpses that are about under the watchful eye of Azmirith and Caskin. The bodies are noticably harder to move than bails of hay or any other farm debris that might have been moved by Butch in the past. While he is working with the reamins that are lying around, Wrench finishes up the rope and tosses it over the ledge. It unrolls as it begins its decent into the darkness of the chasm below.

Wrench grabs hold of the rope and swings his legs over the edge. HIs hands grip each know tight as his legs search for a knot lower down the rope. As the warforged puts his full weight on the knots, the rope grones as it stretches a bit, but the knots hold and the rope doesn't break. Cecil let's out the sigh of relief that Wrench is unable to do. He waits for the warforged to travel a safe distance down the rope towards the crashed airship before he too begins the climb down into the depts. While there are still some strings of sunlight that manage to sneak past the overgrowth of the chasm above, precious few manage to make it all the way to the bottom where the waterfall pools below the ridge. In addition to the lack of light, the spray from the nearby waterfall manages to land in annoying places for thosw who are climing down as well as making the rope more slick than usual.

Butch finishes moving the corpses next to the mouth of the opening from which the animals attacked. The work has left bloody stains on his cloths and armor an the foul stench of death hangs in the air near him. Seeing that he is finished with his task, Azmirith come out from his vantage point while Caskin remains in his elevated watch.

Bigmac
2008-01-16, 06:07 PM
The airship, or what remained of it, was in bad shape. The hull had sustained massive damage as it made its way to the bottom of the chasm with splinters of soarwood strewn all across the deck. The wood creaks and feels as if it is about to give as Wrench shifts his weight from the rope to the wreckage. The sun rays barely mange to grace the walls of the chasm tens of feet above the rock floor. Butch’s sunrod is put to good use when the fighter eventually manages to reach the wreckage along with Azmirith and Caskin. Cecil orders a quick but through search of the wreckage, but advises that it would be best to stick together just in case.

As the group advances further into the remains of the ship, burned and charred bodies lie near the area where a fire elemental was once bound to serve as the ships’ power source. Investigating the area further, they find pools of dried blood but no bodies as well as a few pockets of wood that seems to have been eaten away by some sort of corrosive substance. The floor gives way in a few places as they pick their way through the debris and clutter that inhabits the ship towards the captain’s quarters. The door lists off to the side clinging to a single hinge to avoid falling to the deck.

Inside the captain’s quarters, it looks that someone or something has already come through here and sifted through the already disturbed items in the room. Objects are ripped asunder and shredded mementos litter the room. Furniture is overturned and destroyed, whatever contents it held either removed or thrown aside. Azmirith wades into this chaos, determined to see if he can find something that might have been missed. Butch stays with Azmirith providing him with light while the others begin to remove some of the destroyed contents from the room.

Caskin comments that whatever they were looking for is probably gone, but Cecil decides that they should give Amirith a few more minutes, not knowing what else to do. The decision pays off as the ninja manages to find a well hidden compartment that also happens to be trapped with a contact poison. Using a sheet of paper to grip the release mechanisim he avoids the toxin and opens up a small pocket in the wall. Inside is a plain lockbox.

As he reaches for the lockbox there is a loud crash as a boulder hits the floor near the airship. A moment later, there is a similar sound, this time accompanied by the sounds of wood shattering and debris flying. The ship lurches under the impact. The room tilts to the side as the whole ship rotates. What was clutter before becomes airborne projectiles as unsecured items go flying about. Amirith manages to grab the lockbox as the group begins to exit the captain’s quarters.

More rocks come flying in from the north side of the chasm, hurled by large creatures standing on the rim. Some fly wide of the ship, but others slam in to what is left of it, ripping gaping fractures in the hull. The impact keeps jilting the ship and the party does it’s best to simply survive the onslaught. As the ship continues to tilt, the group manages to jump off to solid ground and begin moving towards safety as a second volley of rocks begins to slam into the ship. Caskin notices a passageway behind the waterfall and the group quickly manages to follow it away from the sounds of the ship being destroyed. It leads them into a damp cavern that lead down into the depths, even below the chasm they were previously exploring.

Citizen Joe
2008-01-17, 12:08 AM
Butch (9/16(18) hp)

"Did everyone make it?" Butch asks while shaking off the water. "I think we'll be safe from the rocks in here, but I've still got that feeling that we're about to be jumped by some vicious creature. Probably whatever melted the deck of the ship. Well, lets secure this cave and then we'll assess our situation. We're currently without rope unless someone has a hidden supply. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and those guys up top will cut the rope. But honestly, I think we need to find another way out of here."

Asmodeus
2008-01-18, 08:33 PM
Wrench

Wrench looks towards the back of the cave. "This is not good. I still haven't had a chance to recover my infusions.

I'll check the back of the cave."

The warforged moves a bit farther into the cave, checking to see if it came to a stop or extended deeper into the earth.

MandibleBones
2008-01-20, 04:43 PM
Cecil (HP 12/20)

Cecil limps slowly toward where Wrench is examining the cave. His falchion is on his back, hanging from only two of the three straps, and his left side looks bruised. The bedroll has fallen from his ragged pack and looks to be lost in the ravine. In his right hand, he holds his short sword as if expecting to be jumped at any moment.

"Status?" he queries to nobody in particular.

Asmodeus
2008-01-20, 05:23 PM
Wrench

"Uninjured, but need rest before I can produce more infusions. I've got scrolls and potions to last us, but we should find a secure place where we can make sure we have retrieved the proper item."

Bigmac
2008-01-21, 01:20 PM
The cave is damp and the roar of the nearby waterfall makes it difficult to hear the discussions going on. The only light, save the the dim, fading, glow from near the hidden enterance is that given off by Butch's sunrod. It illuminates a small tunnel the extneds out of the cavern area and away from the enterance. There is a pool of water in the south of the area, but it seems to drain off somewhere else. While somewhat defensable, the noise from the falls would be sure to mask the approach of most creatures.

Velvet Elvis
2008-01-22, 06:50 AM
Caskin

While trying not to shout, Caskin suggests that everyone move farther into the cave and away from the entrance. No doubt the rush of sound from the falling water masked the quiet addenda that involved everyone being eaten at the same time. Or something to that effect.

Taking his own advice, Caskin follows Wrench's path, fishing out one of his own two sunrods in the process, but leaving it unlit for the time being. He slips it into an open slot next to his wands--a bit tight, but at least there's little chance of losing it. In so doing, he draws a thin blue wand with a silver tip and gives it a shake toward a swath of battered Caskin-flesh. The tip briefly glows blue as the energy transfers to the wounds, sealing them. For the most part.

Caskin smirks, and says, "I guess I'll live," as he returns the wand to its sheath.

Becoming less self-involved, he quips tentatively, "Might as well find out what we've gotten ourselves into before we settle down to tea...." while drawing and preparing his crossbow.

KCiemir
2008-01-22, 10:47 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith breaths a sigh of relief, as he sees the entire party made it out with only minor injuries. As the adrenaline rush wares off, he notices he is still hurt from the earlier battles, and he feels a new throbbing pain in his right side, where a piece of the ship hit when he was trying to secure the box.
Ach, its nothing serious. He tells himself.

He follows Caskin's advice, and moves back away from the rushing waterfall: it was difficult to hear with all the noise, and he didn't like not knowing if something was sneaking up on him. As he drew even with Cecil, he bent down, put the lockbox in his pack, and readied his crossbow.

Rising back up, and slinging his pack over his shoulder, he turns to the others.
Speaking rather more loudly than he would have liked to overcome the noise of the waterfall, he says "Well, I think we should secure somewhere along here, and rest. Wrench undoubtedly needs some rest, I know it wouldn't hurt me, and I know everyone is tired after a long day of searching."

He considers further, and looks around "I think we should try not to move too far away from the waterfall, because we won't get lost, we will know if anyone comes our way. Also, we only have two directions to defend against, rather than an indeterminate number if we press on"

He then looks around for the reactions and responses of the others.

MandibleBones
2008-01-22, 10:55 PM
Cecil

Cecil nods his agreement with Azmirith and Caskin, shunting aside a quick glance at the lockbox. He smiles, which turns into a grimace as he puts weight on his leg.

"Resting," he says, "is definitely a priority, I think."

Bigmac
2008-01-23, 01:14 AM
Those exploring the passage see that it starts out fairly wide, about 8 feet across and about 7ft high, but begins to narrow after a few dozen feet. There is a slight slope downward that increases in angle as the walls get closer together. Eventually the walls close in close enough that it would take a fair amount of effort to squeeze through, although it could still be done. Holding the light into the narrows, Butch can see that the downward tunnel does eventually begin to broaden after the chokepoint, but not too much.

Citizen Joe
2008-01-23, 04:04 PM
Butch

"Looks like it widens out deeper inside. Maybe another cavern. If it is safe in there, we can use this passage as a choke point to defend against anything trying to get in. We'll need a volunteer to go in and check it out. Someone that can slip back out if there is trouble. Whoever goes in, don't attack anything because the survivors may have holed up in here."

Butch then pulls out another sunrod and chucks the failing rod down the passage to illuminate it.

Velvet Elvis
2008-01-24, 06:07 AM
Caskin

Caskin's eyes follow the bounce of the dying sunrod as it clatters through the chokepoint, hoping to see something safely mundane.

Bigmac
2008-01-24, 11:02 AM
The opening ahead is barely illuminated by the light of Butch's sunrod. As he tosses another sunrod into the opening, it looks to be a small cubby, no more that 25 feet across. There are some rock formations around the edges of the room and a few stalactites that hang from the ceiling. The shadows dance as the sunrod bounces along the floor to its final stopping point. Caskin thinks he might have saw something moving down there as the sunrod entered the room, but he isn’t sure if it was just the shadows dancing to the new light.

Citizen Joe
2008-01-24, 06:15 PM
Butch gestures to either side of the crevice and then takes up a position with his scythe ready above the choke point. With the ambush set, he announces loudly over the din of the waterfall. "I LOOKS CLEAR. BETTER HAVE ONE OF THE WIZARDS CHUCK A FIREBALL IN THERE JUST IN CASE!"

Fester
2008-01-24, 06:47 PM
Johann

Still groggy. Still hungry. Still cold.

The gnome heard a small clinking sound, unlike anything he had heard in the past few days. Light was flickering in front of him, but what it was, he couldn't say. Around the light were several figures; bigfolk, most likely. Before he could get a better glance, a second source of light came flying towards him. Johann dove, instinctively, retreating into the shadows and hoping that the interlopers couldn't see as well as he could in such conditions.

A booming voice echoes through the cavern, "I LOOKS CLEAR. BETTER HAVE ONE OF THE WIZARDS CHUCK A FIREBALL IN THERE JUST IN CASE!"

Wizards? Time to roll the dice.

"I'd rather you didn't char me alive, thanks", he called to the interlopers.

Citizen Joe
2008-01-24, 07:31 PM
Butch

"BRELISH MILITIA RESCUE TEAM... STEP FORWARD PLEASE AND IDENTIFY YOURSELF." Butch calls down into the hole.

KCiemir
2008-01-25, 11:27 AM
Azmirith

Azmirith, no novice when it comes to being double-crossed, raises his crossbow to the hole, and steadies his aim. He calls out "Come out with your hands open, and in the air. We will not hesitate to shoot if you make any aggressive motions!"

He signals the others to raise their respective weapons, whispering to his comrades "A hole like that would be a great place for some dangerous beast to hide. We need to be careful." He then returns his gaze to the hole, prepared to shoot if the thing inside is anything but peaceful.

Fester
2008-01-25, 04:35 PM
Johann

It's been long enough. If this isn't a 'sign', then they've just sent me here to die.

Johann sighed, and walked toward the glowing object that was nearest to him. He scooped it up in one hand, and began to walk toward those who had called to him. As he walked, he talked.

"Imagine, if you will, that you are a beggar living in the streets of some large city; Sharn, let's say. It has not been a particularly good day's begging, and you find yourself without food late in the evening. This is not an uncommon problem for a beggar, it is nonetheless unfortunate. As you walk the streets toward whatever hovel you call home, you find yourself thinking, 'I would really like a sandwich right now'."

"This is not an uncommon thought for you to have, but what is not is a plea; you are not offering your soul to the Keeper in exchange for a sandwich, nor are you pleaing to Boldrei to bestow a boon upon you; you are simply expressing a desire to have a sandwich."

The sound of the gnome's footsteps echoes through the cavern as he continues he tale.

"As it happens, a sandwich appears in front of you. You did not create the sandwich, did not tap into some hidden power to summon it from beyond the aether. By the same token, it did not simply fall from a higher place; one moment there was air, the next there was a sandwich hovering in front of you, and the next it was fallen at your feet. What do you do? Do you spit upon the accursed sandwich and continue on your way, or do you thank the Host for their mercy and eat it? This is the problem that currently faces me, and, to a lesser extent, faces you."

By the time the gnome has finished talking, he has approached the group; a warforged, three humans, and someone in a mask. The masked one was probably human, but might be half elf or even something more exotic, but it was hard to tell.

Johann's round face was dirty, but he was smiling nonetheless. The hand that didn't hold the sunrod was buried deep in the pockets of his robe. With a slight bow and a flourish of the sunrod, he speaks again, after having examined those whom he was talking to.

"Johann Creely, at your service."

Asmodeus
2008-01-25, 04:59 PM
Wrench

Wrench crouches down to look the gnome in the eye and says "I don't eat sandwiches."

Citizen Joe
2008-01-25, 06:52 PM
Butch

Butch eyed the gnome before him suspiciously, not sure what to make of it. "I'm sorry, Mr. Creely, I was expecting half elves. Were there any other survivors? I won't ask what you were doing aboard the airship, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. However, anything you can tell us about what brought the ship down or what dangers you have since faced will be very helpful. Oh... how rude of me. I am Butch Grimm, from Shavalant. Mr. Caskin over there is our Finder. This is our mechanic, Wrench. The man in the mask is Mr. Azmirith, hailing from the Far East. And this is our leader, Secil of House Orien."

Fester
2008-01-25, 08:24 PM
Johann

The gnome's heart sank. A dragonmarked? Damn them! Still, the smile never left his face.

"As for what shot down the airship, I can't say. What is of more importance is what happened after that; hordes of animals, foaming at the mouth, eating anything that moved. I've been here hiding here since the crash, waiting. But, more important than my life is what people think of me. While I will not divulge exactly what my goals were in boarding the airship, I am most curious as to what you think I was doing there."

Taking 10 on a sense motive check to tell if the warforged is threatening me or is just stupid

MandibleBones
2008-01-25, 09:12 PM
Sesil

Sesil waves with his good arm. "Nice to meet you, Creely," he says, "And thanks to the Soveriegns your survived. I'd hate to think we lost one of ours for nothing on the way in." He scowls.

Citizen Joe
2008-01-26, 05:27 PM
Butch

Butch raised his eyebrow in a half incredulous half smug smirk as he looked down at Johann. He waves off the question with one hand. "Hey, I'm just some country bumpkin from a small farming village. What you an' yer Houses be doing with dem new fangled flying contraptions ain't none my business."

Fester
2008-01-26, 07:05 PM
Johann

Were he not already smiling, Johann would have done so. A valiant attempt, he thought to himself, but I've been playing these games since before you were born. His eyebrows lower as his smile widens, quickly shifting from joyous greeting to smug satisfaction, with the slightest hint of malevolence.

"When first you spoke, farmer, you did so with candor and respect. While not eloquent, you were succinct; not a word was wasted when you expressed your point; you need information about the crash, and asked me directly to relay that information to you, which I plan to in due time. You even stopped yourself once you recognized that you had violated a mild social taboo; that is, you didn't introduce yourself and your compantions before engaging in conversation. Such an act lends one to believe that YOU, farmer, are smarter than your appearence would lead one to believe. I have no doubt that you would be able to maneuver yourself gracefully within Zil social circles, should the opportunity present to present itself."

Johann begins to pace in slow circles around Butch, continuing his diatribe.

"Within this greeting, however, was a barb at my expense, either unintentional or deliberately hidden to mock me; you said that you knew, or at least suspected, what my motives were regarding my boarding of the (now downed) airship. Now, my social intuitions are not what they once were, and I was unable to determine what it was, precisely, that you thought I was doing on the airship; perhaps you thought I was a changeling, and that this is all an elaborate ruse to catch you all off-guard while my companions strike your party from behind. Or, perhaps you thought that I was the one behind the animal attacks, or that I even caused the airship to crash. Or, perhaps you just thought that I was a simple gnome traveller, making his way towards Droaam out of boredom or wanderlust. Again, my social intuitions failed me, and I was forced to ask what, exactly, your thoughts were regarding my involvement in the crash."

"Now, at this point, your mannerisms change. You are no longer the quick-witted man you had lead me to believe. Instead, you are a down-home country bumpkin who", Johann's voice shifts to mimic Butch's tone and accent, "don't know nuthin 'bout none of dem dere new fangled flying contraptions. Such a tone would lead one to believe that you are far to simple and plebeian to harbor suspicions about my motivations and background. Not only that, but you identified me as being involved with the Dragonmarked houses ,which, I assure you, I am not. Were you to make such an intuitive leap would mean that you were remarkably backward in the ways of Khorvaire; anything foreign and sophisticated is the work of the Houses, and is beyond the purview of such a plain, unassuming peasant such as yourself. In short, you were trying to make me think that your claim that what I was doing aboard the airship 'didn't take a genius to figure out' was simply off the cuff and something best left ignored, since you are obviously just a redneck not worth harboring suspicions about. And such a ploy might have worked, had you not given yourself away ten seconds earlier by interrupting your informational questionings for the sake of social courtesy."

Johann's pacings cease, and the smile evaporates from his face into a cold stare as he looks up at Butch.

"And, of course, all of this was a distraction, as you didn't answer my question. Now, I'll ask again; what precisely do you think I was doing on that airship?"

Citizen Joe
2008-01-26, 08:33 PM
Butch

"Very well, it's your throat." Butch started with a shrug. "If you won't heed my warnings about conflicting Houses, then I will explain. I'm no expert in the Houses, but what I know I learned while I was squiring for a knight. And what he taught me was how they ally and conflict with each other. The Host knows how long ago but Sivis unlocked the elemental secrets and developed the Rail for Orien and the two Houses were best of friends. Then Sivis went and sold out the elemental secrets to Lyrandar making the airships and creating an ongoing mercantile war between those Houses. Now, I'm not blaming Lyrandar for wanting a share of the pie, but Sivis just turned their back on their own values of keeping secrets. I mean you can see how that betrayal can have long lasting effects."

Butch paused for a moment and then paced around Johann almost mockingly and then spun his scythe about gesturing at Johann with the point. "Now way back at Orcbone I brought up this conflict between Orien and Lyrandar to Mr. Secil. Now, he's a good man and he's willing to let bygones be bygones, taking this as an opportunity to mend fences between potential business partners. But a gnome on an airship... on the border... with the Brellish military keeping this hush hush... It's obvious that Sivis is testing a new power system in a secret war machine created for long range spying missions, and you were sent along to report on its efficiency. Now, I'm not going to say you're stepping on Tharashk toes, particularly with the location the ship went down and the whole spying thing, but I wouldn't blame Mr. Caskin if he were upset with you. Ironically, if you had just asked the locals you would have KNOWN you can't take airships into Graywalls because of the unpredictable winds and the Sisters using the whole area as a magic sink to power up the Crag. I mean what were they thinking... Fire rings... with THESE unpredictable storms... I mean do some research... And now the locals have to go in and clean up the mess... sweep it all under the rug... just so we can keep the peace... It's been what... Four, five years since the signing and you're stirring the pot again."

At this point, Butch rolled his eyes and stormed off near the entrance of the cave to cool off, swinging his scythe about as if fighting imaginary monsters.

Fester
2008-01-26, 09:29 PM
Johann

As Butch storms off, the smile returns to Johann's face. The farmer wasn't oblivious of the political games of the houses, and he certainly wasn't stupid, but the farmer wasn't as cunning as he thought he was. Still, it wasn't a good idea to alienate his charges; he resolves to make it up to the farmer at some later date.

"So, I see that some of you are injured. My healing abilities are somewhat limited, but I will gladly do what I can to make your journies easier. Who is in the worst condition?"

(OOC: who currently has the least HP?)

MandibleBones
2008-01-27, 12:22 AM
Sesil

The old soldier looks at both the gnome and the farmer with little emotion on his face, then quietly speaks.

"Butch, it's entirely possible this gnome has little contact with House Sivis at all," he says, loudly enough to be heard but softly. "It's fairly possible that he's simply a Zilargan patriot," he emphasizes the last word, "On business with our fair Breland. That would be enough reason for our country to want to hush up the crash before the Droamites found it, would it not?"

He turns to the gnome, saying no more on the subject.

"Please see to the others, friend Zilargan, and if they are all right, I could use a small bit of help in that area myself," he adds. "Our cleric, a good man and true, was lost to a beast from Below on the way here, and I fear we could all use some rest and recovery before we make our way out."

Fester
2008-01-27, 01:30 PM
Johann

Johann frowned. Ah, NOW it all makes sense.

"Oh dear,", he says as he hangs his head, "my condolences on your loss. I hope his soul find peace in Dolurrh."

Johann closes his eyes and mutters to himself for a few moments.

If you hear this, he is speaking in some sort of esoteric language (draconic). If you speak it;
May you find your place within the Prophecy, dear departed one.

As his eyes open, the smile returns to the gnome's face.

"Well, I have been staying in this cavern since the crash, and have encountered no trouble thus far. Truth be told, I would rather tell the tale of how I ended up in this dank pit around a fire; camping here would probably be a good idea. But, in the mean time, let's tend to those wounds, shall we?"

Without looking away, Johann tosses the sunrod vaguely in the direction of the goateed man (OOC: Caskin), saying, somewhat as an afterthought, "Hold this for a moment, dragonmarked, will you?" His other hand, which was buried within one of the robe's many pockets ,emerges, bearing with it an odd scroll, the ends of which are reinforced with wooden embroideries. With a flick of his wrist, the scroll unfurls, revealing a series of characters written with a strange ink that reflects the dim light with a golden sheen. He places his empty right hand upon Cecil, and begins to mutter to himself in a smattering of various languages as he eyes scan the content of the odd scroll. His right hand begins to shine with an faint glow.

"This should just take a moment, soldier."

Casting Cure Light Wounds on Cecil
[roll0]

Without putting the scroll away, Johann makes his way toward the masked man, and places his hand upon him as well.

"Your turn, masked one."

Casting Cure Light Wounds on Azmirith
[roll1]

Johann rolls the scroll back up and returns it to the pocket of his robe.

"I've got one more big one for today, and I'm going to save it for the farmer over there, once he stops throwing his hissy fit." Johann's smile widens warmly. "I've got a few more small heals, but its minor stuff, really; just good enough to get rid of scratches and bruises. However, they can be pretty effective if used consecutively on a single targer. If you need water, I can take care of that for you too. Now, seeing as how I'm almost out of food, how about we make a campfire and have dinner so I can regale you with my wonderous tale of not being killed in an airship crash and sitting in a cave?"

Bigmac
2008-01-29, 10:45 AM
Azmirith mentions that he hears something coming, even about the sound of the waterfall. The group quicly moves down the tunnel and though the narrow passageway into the small opening. They make a small blockade of the tunnel with their packs and any of the debris they might have collected on their person. They huddle up in the dim light cast by a shielded sunrod. The sunrod is positioned so as to not cast much light, if any past the blockade back into the cavern with the waterfall. The group can hear and feel heavy footsteps made by one or several large creatures. They roam about in the room above before having a quick discussion.

Listen DC16

If you understand Giant

"I dunno where day go. Maybee down da hole. You stay. See if dey come outta der."

The noises eventually settle down and time passes. During the night, Caskin discovers that there is an opening in the ceiling the leads to another passageway out of the opening.

Asmodeus
2008-01-29, 10:55 AM
Wrench

[roll0]

Fester
2008-01-29, 04:06 PM
Johann

[roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 11:24 AM
Sesil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=1664)

The old campaigner looks up from his brooding and perks his ears up.

[roll0]

He can't tell what the voices are saying, but he knows something is coming.

"Something's on its way," he whispers. "Something with a deep voice." He unshoulders his falchion and places himself between the entryway and the wounded. "Get ready."

Readying an action to cast true strike the moment he sees a shadow from whatever is coming.

EDIT: After nothing comes for a while, he'll sit down where he can see the hole and rest with the others in shifts.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-05, 11:57 AM
Butch

In the morning, Butch stretches out with a great yawn and a bit of a groan. Blinking a bit, he notices that he fell asleep in his armor. "Wow, I must have been really worn out. I slept right through the night like a baby."

Rummaging through the wonderpacks, he pulls out the rations and portions out a days worth, filling everyone's food pouch before storing the rest back in the wonderback. Quenching his thirst and draining his waterskin, he lays it out on his bedroll. Slowly and carefully he lays out all the available equipment and studies it intently, taking inventory and formulating plans.

Equipment list coming...

Butch's backpack
pouch with 10 lbs of trail rations
flint/steel
50' coil of rope
5 3 sunrods
2 tents
a small bundle of firewood (5 'nights' worth about 33 lbs)
2 buckets, one of them has roughly six pounds of trail rations inside
1 bucket
1 pack saddle
Butch's prized military saddle
Butch's bow
3 quivers of arrows
Butch's chainmail armour
Butch's scythe
Butch's flail
Butch's sickle
a shovel
a honing stone
15 lbs of trail rations (this is replacement rations, everyone should have whatever they started with and this is what is left in reserve.
5 bedrolls (1 per person)
5 winter blankets (1 per person)
10 waterskins (2 per person)
2 climbing kits/harnesses

Bigmac
2008-02-05, 01:47 PM
Azmirith sets off to see what the noise was all about now that the sunlight is starting to cast enough rays so that he can see without using a torch. He quickly dissappears from view as he sneaks along the edges of the tunnel towards the waterfall. Minutes later he is standing next to Cecil, although no one really noticed his return. "There's a large humanoid of some sort out there watching the exit. Well, not all the time, but he looks over at the tunnel every minute or so. He's got a massive morning star and is wearing well crafted armor with spikes on it. I watched him for a while, and he didn't really move from his seat on a boulder near the waterfall."

Hearing the report, Caskin rises groggily off the floor of the cave where he slept all night. He lets out a big yawn as he stretches his arms. "I'd much prefer a bed the next time we do this. I wonder if we could fit one of those in those packs of ours. Well, I did manage to explore the tunnel up there" he motins to the opening near the top of the cave (about 6 feet off the floor) "and all I can tell you is that it does go on for a bit and there are no nasty giants waiting for us that way."

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 01:58 PM
Sesil

"I'm going to go ahead and say we'll go the way without large humanoids with maces. Any arguements?" he says drily, looking around at the group. He rubs his sore back, and then wistfully looks at the spot where his bedroll should hang on his pack.

Fester
2008-02-05, 03:23 PM
Johann

Johann shook his head.

"Ogres don't guard empty caves; if he's guarding something, it may be of value. Although, on the other hand, his 'treasure' may be something like ogre young, or a religious relic, which would only lead us to more trouble. Still..."

The gnome continues think out loud, weighing the group's options.

Johann's left hand is clutching his scroll within his robe, and he has readied Magic Missle for anything that charges into the room

Citizen Joe
2008-02-05, 06:19 PM
Butch AC: 17, hp: 21/25

Butch smirks at Johann. "You know, prisons have guards too."

Turning to Secil he continues, "I reckon that would be for the best. As they say, it is our game to lose now. We don't necessarily have to be fast now. By my estimate, we've got about 5 days of food left, plus whatever the rest of you have. Without the horses, we're looking at a three day hike back to the trade road." Glancing at Wrench, "Better make that four days."

Then he picked up his bucket. "Water will be more of a problem, unless we have someone to magik us up some. In the meantime, there's a nice waterfall that we can fill our skins with."

Inspecting his pile of equipment again, Butch sucked on his teeth. "We're short on light too. I've only got 3 sunrods left. Don't see much point in my bow in these twisty passages." Sighing deeply, Butch packs away the tents and half the firewood. Then he placed his quivers into the haversack without the firewood. "Alright, I'll take one of the wonderpacks. Wrench, you've got the other. Everyone else, secure your bedrolls in your own packs. Make sure you fill your skins too. Azzy, you get one of the climbing harnesses and I'll take the other. Mr. Caskin can get by without. We will assist the rest of you while climbing. This passage looks like a natural drain for the canyon. Fortunately, we aren't dealing with the spring thaw when a torrent would be running through here."

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 07:10 PM
Sesil

"Light," he muses, "Is not as much of a problem as it could be. Let me know what and where neats to be illuminated, and it will be as bright as day before I can snap my fingers." He pauses. "Well, as soon as I can, anyway."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-05, 08:19 PM
Butch

"OK, light is taken care of. How about water? Before we leave this source, can anyone make water along the way? What about food? And while we're magicking away all our problems, can anyone magick us back to Orcbone or even the trade road?"

Fester
2008-02-05, 09:04 PM
Johann

"Water", says Johann with a glint in his eye, "will not be a problem."

Johann's left hand produces his strange scroll from one of the many pockets in his robe and begins to study it intently. His right hand then extends, and, glowing faintly, he makes a small flourishing motion. Water slowly seeps into the bucket, as if it were leaking from the outside in. Within moments, the bucket is filled is filled.

Casting Create Water to fill the bucket, mostly to show off

Johann places the scroll back within his robe, and crosses his arms, as if he had just performed some great miracle.

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 10:20 PM
Sesil

"I cannot 'magick' us out of here, no," he says, "though I think, with proper water and the possibility of food, that we'll be fine."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-06, 10:17 AM
Butch

Butch nods and then ponders for a moment. "OK, here's the plan. Everyone close... For starters, we need a small fire maybe a torch to check if there is a breeze and which way it is flowing. Hopefully it flows out past the waterfall, but even if it goes through that back passage we'll be ok. If there is no breeze, then a fire will choke us to death and it means there is no exit up there and we'll have to fight our way out past the ogre. Assuming there is some air flow, we'll build a campfire with the spare wood. Then use some of the blankets so that they cast shadows inside this chamber. That should be enough to convince the ogres that we are still in here which may let us slip out the back unnoticed. Mr. Caskin, you and Wrench will make our blanket decoys. Wrench, we may need to fabricate some rope from the blankets but don't go crazy with them, the rest of us like to have a warm blanket at night. Mr. Sesil, you and Azmirith are on fire duty. Make sure we have air flow and set up the campfire so the shadows will be visible from outside. Mr. Johann, keep an eye on the passage so we don't get surprised. I'll finish packing up. With any luck we'll be in the clear by lunch time."

Bigmac
2008-02-07, 12:51 AM
A torch is found and light by a tindertwig. Caskin carries it up to the opening and holds it there, watching to see which way the flames move. The fire seems to stand still, untill there is the faintest of shifts as the fire bends away from the waterfall. Seeing that the passage offers a hope of escape, the party begins to follow Butch's plan.

Wrench finds some rope and works with Caskin to secure it to the enterance of the opening up above so that the crew can scale the distance with little danger. Azmirith decides that it would be best for him to keep an eye on the enterance, not fully trusting Johann just yet. The gnome is sent to help Sesil create and manipulate the fire. When everything is ready, the group climbs up the wall with the aid of the rope and enters into the new passageway.

The cavern walls are damp from the moisture of the waterfall spray, even this far into the cave. Moss and other fungus grows in patches here and there. Between Butch's sunrod and the magic of Wrench, Sesil, and Johann the party is able to create enough light to traverse the cave safely enough. There are several places where it appears the cave comes to a dead end, only to have a path found by Caskin or Azmirith that manages to keep the party moving away from the wrecked airship and hopefully back towards civilization.

A brief stop for rations after a few hours is the only respite the group gets as Sesil pushes them ever forward. Caskin makes some offhanded comment about how it felt like the group was moving two feet down for every 3 feet forward and that perhaps the giants would be preferable, but otherwise keeps his wit to himself. As the hours wear on, the realization that there was no nearby exit is hard to ignore. As far as Butch's stomach is concerned, it is time to stop once again, this time for the evening meal. A suitably wide space within the cave is found around a half hour later, and this time Caskin is the one to speak up and request that some sort of camp be made before his feet fall off.

Asmodeus
2008-02-07, 09:00 AM
Wrench

Wrench decides against creating any new scrolls overnight, since he needs to rest to regain his infusions. He follows Butch's orders without question for once, although internally, he wonders if all of this is really necessary. Even though he never had much formal military training, the military efficiency seems to be inborn. Regardless, he takes to each task with determination and does what he can to help.

When they stop again, he poses an odd question. "Does your kind fear being buried alive?"

MandibleBones
2008-02-07, 09:02 AM
Sesil

"Very much so, yes. Why do you ask?" He looks quizzically at Wrench.

Asmodeus
2008-02-07, 09:07 AM
Wrench

"It just seems to be an odd fear for you. If I remember correctly, you would suffocate eventually and die. But for me, I would have no such release. I would simply be trapped for all eternity, immobile, and with no way to escape.

They've done experiments where they buried warforged alive, to see how long it takes for them to go mad from the experience. I would consider losing my mind a fate worse than death."

Bigmac
2008-02-08, 10:59 PM
Tired from their travels, the group sets about making a small campsight to rest. The air down in the cave is stale, and there is little noise. It is easy to imagine that even a warforged could go mad if given enough time to itself down here. Having saved most of his infustions gained the night before, Wrench occupies his mind by working on a new scroll as he keeps an ear out for trouble. While there a few times when the warforged thinks he hears something, when he pauses to listen, he hears only the silence. At the appointed time, Wrench goes about waking the other group members up.

Butch gets another torch lit, and tries to determine if it dances at all in the bowels of the earth. He thinks that it does, but isn't confident in his ability to know the secrets of the underground. Now that the group is up, the quesiton remains, should they press forward, or try to go back and hope that whatever was watching the cave is gone?

MandibleBones
2008-02-09, 10:53 AM
Sesil

"It seems we're stuck between a known hostile and the unknown," he says. "Now, the curious side of me, and the side that wants to lose no more of us, says we go forward. But I put it to vote, and open the floor to debate, since we're not in such a rush this time."

Asmodeus
2008-02-09, 11:06 AM
Wrench

"No disrespect, Commander, but I am in favor of turning back the way we came. We know our path is true there, and now that we have rested, we can easily best the creature.

However, I follow your lead. If you say carry forward, then that is my vote as well."

Fester
2008-02-09, 01:28 PM
Johann

The gnome, as usual, is wearing his trademark smile while odd words leave his lips, as though he himself was unaware of what he was saying.

"I obstain from voting."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-10, 05:43 PM
Butch

"Sir, as it stands, we have won. While it would be nice to get home and enjoy a warm bed, we cannot risk the mission by taking our objective back into enemy hands. We'll be just as dead but we will have failed Breland. By my estimate, we can manage about two more days before we reach the point of no return. At that point it will be an all or nothing struggle against the ogres since we will need their provisions to get out of the mountains. So, from a food point of view we have another day and a half before the decision really needs to be made. If we do turn back, I suggest hiding the box so that a fully armed team can recover it later."

Bigmac
2008-02-12, 05:24 PM
After clearing up the camp, the group is ready to move on. The cavern moves down at a good pace now, and Wrench needs to fasten a rope so that he is able to travel down the passage safely. Caskin is easily able to retrieve the rope once it is finished being used. After the decent, the tunnel levels out once more and starts to widen. What was something brely noticable when camp was broken is now fairly obvious. It is getting hot in the tunnels, and the heat seems to eminate from up ahead.

The tunnel suddenly opens up into a large cavern. A river of lave flow across the room in front of you. Two swaths of earth can be used to cross where the lava flows underneath the ground. Across the cavern is a lavafall that spalshes lava on the ground around it. The thing that catches most of your eyes, however, are the Khyber dragonshards that populate the area. That, and the encampment in the middle of the cavern. Humans, half-orcs, and dwarf bodies are strewn about a few tents set up as a makeshift campsight.

OOC:
Map to come later. The cavern is pretty huge, about 150ft across, about twice that long. Campsight is across the river but before the waterfall. If you have magic of eberron, that map is in that book around page 18 or so. Go ahead and roll spot / listen checks. And initiative (no combat yet, but it will be good to know just in case. heh).

MandibleBones
2008-02-12, 06:36 PM
Sesil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=1664)

"By Aureon's twisted Shadow and all the Sovereigns and Six," Sesil breaths, "What infernal force cause this carnage?"

Spot: [roll0] , Listen: [roll1] , Initiative: [roll2]

Fester
2008-02-12, 09:21 PM
Johann

"Hard to say", says Johann as he looks up at Cecil grimly. "There are things lurking within the depths or Khyber that would shatter a man's sanity in mere moments, things that could destroy you so utterly that not even the most potent spellcasters in recorded history could bring you back, and things that could do far, far worse."

Johann gestures toward the encampment.

"This was probably a mining expedition, and they were most likely attacked by things they had unearthed; if this was the work of a rival seeking to commandeer the dragonshard vein, then they would have gotten rid of the bodies and simply subsumed the camp, rather than just abandoning it and leaving the corpses here to rot. There is a force at work here that is...unhuman, to say the least. Even fiends recognize the value of the shards, and a shrewed thing of Khyber would most likely wait until the vein had all but run dry before launching the attack on the camp so it could claim the harvest as its own; that is, assuming it did not simply cajole, threaten, or enslave the miners. No, what killed these men is something different entirely; either a thing so powerful that it was unconcerned with the power that dragonshards hold, or something which is wholely unconcerned with wealth."

Johann reaches into his robes, and produces a small crossbow, sized perfectly to fit into his child-like hands. Another hand reaches into a pocket and finds a bolt, which is meticulously cocked into place.

"You had best be on your guard, Soldier. It is not just the dark we should be afraid of."

Spot: [roll0] Listen: [roll1] Initiative: [roll2]

Citizen Joe
2008-02-13, 01:01 AM
Butch

Butch looks back and forth to Sesil and Johann, an incredulous look on his face. "You're kidding right? I'm surprised we aren't already dead. If that is really lava, then something is seriously suppressing the heat and smoke. Sure it is hot, but we should be bursting into flames right now, if we hadn't already passed out from the fumes. My guess is this mining crew has some sort of protective device active and it stopped working for a moment."

Butch snaps his fingers in sudden inspiration. "Whatever caused the protective device to fail probably knocked out the airship's power as well."

Asmodeus
2008-02-13, 09:03 AM
Wrench

Wrench offers no further commentary on the state of things. Instead, he just takes in the scene. He is somewhat surprised by Butch though. For someone who claims to be a simple country boy, he seems to know more than his share about mining, and lava, and more than a few other things.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

MandibleBones
2008-02-13, 09:53 AM
Sesil

The old man smiles grimly, lowering his sword a fraction. "Butch, you're probably right and I'm overthinking it," he says. "What was it the Sovereigns said? BLAH BLAHDY BLAHBLAH BLAH BlAHDY. BLAH BLAHDY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHDY BLAH*?"

*Gnomish:
There's something moving behind the pillar. I don't think it knows I see it. Want me to light it up?

Citizen Joe
2008-02-13, 10:02 AM
Butch

"Well, looks like at least one of us needs to test the 'safe' ground. Mr. Sesil is out because he needs to guard our package and we need to keep Mr. Johann safe too. Mr. Caskin, you may take part in this if you wish but otherwise it is down to Azmirith, Wrench and myself. Whoever goes, we can wrap them in water soaked blankets to try to afford a little protection. And don't take the Wonder Packs with you, just in case. Alright, lets draw lots... short straw tests the path."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Asmodeus
2008-02-13, 10:34 AM
Wrench

While Butch starts trying to find straws, Wrench will just start walking down towards the camp.

Fester
2008-02-13, 03:30 PM
Johann

Johann gently pats Cecil on his side. "Your memory must be failing you, soldier. I believe it goes *insert other language gibberish here*."

*gnomish
If its hiding, it probably isn't friendly. My magic missles most likely hit harder than yours, so if you light it, I can blast it.
SPOILER WITHIN A SPOILER
Readying Magic Missle to cast at whatever is hiding, assuming I'm in range and it looks dangerous

MandibleBones
2008-02-13, 03:38 PM
Sesil

In response to Johann, the old campaigner snaps his fingers. Four familier balls of dancing light swarm past Wrench and around the movement he'd spotted.

Bigmac
2008-02-14, 08:50 AM
Mappage, click the link for a bigger version.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2757/khyberet5.th.png (http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khyberet5.png)

Purple = dead people
Brown boxes = campsight / tents
Yellow box = something that ran behind the rock pilar. It was on 4 legs and looked like nothing you have ever seen before.

Asmodeus
2008-02-14, 09:28 AM
{OOC: Are we in initiative? And was it absolutely necessary to put me inside a lava pool?}

Wrench

Wrench sees the lights go zooming past him, and draws out his weapon, while watching where the lights are going.

Bigmac
2008-02-14, 10:38 AM
@Asmo,

Not in initiative just yet, something just darted away from the lights and ran behind the stalagmite. Wrench probably was only aware of the lights flying over his head.

@All

Disregard the lavapools in the party's area, as well as any descriptive text (ie futher into khyber ect) in the picutre.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-17, 07:09 PM
Butch

Butch reaches into the haversack and pulls out a quiver then readies his bow nocking an arrow. "Ready Sir. Say the word and I'll test the air over that lava over there. We'll see how far this protective field extends."

Bigmac
2008-02-19, 12:33 AM
Four creatures rush forth at the party at nearly the same time. Two emerge from a tent within the campsight, while the other two come around the stalagmite running past the dancing lights. The things are roughly the size of a bulldog but have four stubby legs that branch out of their sides and are closer in nature to spider's legs. Each creature also has two whipelike tenticles that protrude from where a face should be. There are no eyes nor mouth visable on the creatures.

Butch is the first to react. We're no officially in combat.

Mappage:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2186/khyber2gk4.th.png (http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khyber2gk4.png)
Click for a bigger version.

Initiative:
Creatatures
Butch
Wrench
Johann
Sesil
Azmirith
Caskin

MandibleBones
2008-02-19, 10:09 AM
Sesil (Free action: speaking)

"Butch," he says drily, "Consider the word given."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-19, 10:57 PM
Butch
AC: 17 hp: 21(25)

"Ack! Demons!! Wrench! We'll make our stand at the entry tunnel!" Butch calls out as he lets his brown fletched arrow fly, then pulls out a black fletched arrow, preparing for his next shot.

Standard Action: Fire normal arrow at closest creature. Range is 110' for the bow but I'm not sure just how far the creatures are so I'm not modifying for range.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Move Action: Prepare Cold Iron arrow (the black fletched ones).

Asmodeus
2008-02-19, 11:17 PM
Wrench
HP: 16/16
AC: 21 (vt:11 ff:20)

Wrench focuses a burst of magical energy upon his weapon as he infuses it with a Frost enchantment.

{Spending 1 action point for a speedy infusion}

Fester
2008-02-20, 05:15 PM
Johann
HP: 18/18
AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat: 14

Johann fires the loaded bolt in his crossbolt, then scrambles to place Butch between himself and the strange creatures.

Attack 1d20+3
Damage [roll0]

Fester
2008-02-20, 05:17 PM
OOC: i'm targeting whatever butch is targeting, and i fudged that attack roll, so i'll redo it below.
[roll0]

Fester
2008-02-20, 05:19 PM
threat confirmation [roll0]
extra damage [roll1]

MandibleBones
2008-02-21, 05:12 PM
Sesil

Smiling the grim smile of someone actually prepared for combat this time, the old campaigner, Sesil moves toward the bridge in front of him, placing his back against the wall and not straying too far from the group. Nothing he has will reach the distance, so he steels his will for the fight to come.

"Don't let them gang up on you, gentlemen," he says, his voice as steely as his readied sword. "We're at the top of our game today, and I for one would like to see our Zilargan friend's mettle too," he grins a half-smile at Johann, all teeth and determination. "And what better creatures to fight than spawn from the depths of Khyber herself?"

Readying an action to arcane-channel Shocking Grasp and attack the moment a beast crosses my path

Bigmac
2008-02-24, 07:58 AM
Caskin fires an arcane blast, that combined with Butch's and Johann's projectiles manages to bring one of the creatures down. Azmirith moves next to Sesil and draws his morningstar.

The remaining creatures charge forth at full speed towards Azmirith. As they do so one of them passes next to Wrench and another by Sesil. Both get an opportunity to attack the creatures as they pass.

OOC
All the creatures run towards Az. Wrench gets an AoO and Sesil's ready action triggers. After this, it goes to the top of the round. Butch is up.

Map:
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9622/khybersmallmz3.png (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khybersmallmz3.png)

Asmodeus
2008-02-24, 09:51 AM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 21(vt:11 ff20)

As the creature foolishly rushes so close to Wrench, he reacts quickly and swings his morningstar around, leaving a trail of frost in the arc of the swing.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Asmodeus
2008-02-24, 09:53 AM
(Threatening Critical)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Citizen Joe
2008-02-24, 11:05 AM
Butch
AC:17 HP: 25/25

Unable to get off a second shot, Butch drops his bow and takes up his scythe, swinging it hard at one of the creatures.

Free Action: drop bow
Move Action: equip scythe
5 foot step:
Action: Power Attack (2) + flanking
[roll0]
[roll1]

MandibleBones
2008-02-24, 01:27 PM
As the creature charges, Sesil brings down his mighty falchion.

Attack! [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Possible crit confirm (on 18-20): [roll2]
Possible crit damage: [roll3]

Asmodeus
2008-02-24, 01:27 PM
{OOC: Butch, you confuse the hell out of me. Going by the map, there is no way you can 5 ft step and flank anyone. But then, I don't really rmeember who any of the colors represent other than I'm green and Sesil is Blue.}

Wrench
HP: 16/16
AC: 21 (vt:11 ff:20)
(if charging, reduce AC approprately)

If an opportunity is available, Wrench will move into a flanking position with an ally and attack. Otherwise, he'll just charge the nearest foe and attack anyways.

[roll0]
Mods: +1 STR, +2 BAB, +2 Flank or Charge
[roll1]
[roll2]

MandibleBones
2008-02-24, 01:30 PM
As Sesil swings, arcs of lightning crackle from his blade.

Forgot the arcane channeling. Shocking Grasp: [roll0]

Fester
2008-02-24, 02:58 PM
Johann
HP: 18/18
AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat: 14

Gnomes are notoriously two faced, and Johann was no exception. The smile was a mask which he whore; a mask which could mean any number of things. This smile, however, was different from any of the others he had worn before. There was a sense of purpose behind his eyes, a sense of knowledge of things beyond mortal comprehension. This was not a trick or bravado, not an intimidation tactic or a bluff; the gnome simply looked like he knew, although what he knew and how he knew it none could say.

With this newfound determination, Johann quickly steps behind Azmirith and makes various arcane gestures with his left hand. He speaks in magic tongues, and his hand begins to glow with a faint red light. As his spell finishes, a bolt of red leaps from his outstretched hand and is sent careening towards one of the beasts.

"You're done."

Swift action: entering Prophetic Favor, +1 to all saves
Move action: moving to the square to the upper left of Azmirith, so anything that wants to hit me will need to provoke an AoO.
Standard Action: Casting Magic Missle on whichever beast looks the weakest
[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2008-02-24, 08:58 PM
(Map in spoiler)

Round 0=Arrows/missile weapons
Round 1=Demons close and these actons
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/Khyber3.jpg
1-3 = demons (I believe #1 passed by Wrench earlier and got hit with AoO).
A = Azmirith (???)
B = Butch -> 5' step NE for flank #1 with Azmirith
C = Caskin (???)
J = Johann -> 5' step NE -> magic missile (didn't see the roll)
S = Sesil -> Attack with Falchion.
W = Wrench -> walk N 3, AoO from #2, N 1, Flank #2 with Azmirith
OR Charge N3, AoO from #2, finish charge N1, Attack #3 with charge bonus.

Asmodeus
2008-02-24, 10:13 PM
{OOC: Somehow, I missed your square. Sorry about that, Butch.}

Fester
2008-02-25, 12:56 AM
rerolling because i'm a retard, apparently.

[roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-02-25, 03:17 PM
Sesil

Seeing that the creature needs more encouragement to quit this plane, Sesil swings again.

[roll0] Damage [roll1]

MandibleBones
2008-02-25, 03:19 PM
Apparently, his swing is harder this time.

Sure, NOW I critthreat. Crit confirm: [roll0] And damage: [roll1]

Bigmac
2008-02-25, 05:01 PM
As the creatures rush forward, they are greated by an onslaught of death and destruction. Wrench smashes one as it passes by and Butch finishes it off easily. Similarly, Sesil slices through one as it passes. It stops, falling to the ground and moves just enough to quiver from the shock that killed it. Wrech then charges the last creature and wounds it severly. Again, a teammate steps up to finish the creatrue off, this time it's the gnome unleashing a burst of magical energy that kills the creature.

The cavern is silent once again now that the brief and brutal combat has ended. Who knows how long it will stay that way.

Asmodeus
2008-02-25, 05:18 PM
Wrench

With a low whisper, Wrench extinguishes the magic surrounding his fist. The ice around them melts away leaving nothing but a trace of quickly evaporating moisture.

He looks around to be sure there are no other immediate threats before he begins to check the bodies for anything valuable.

{OOC: Nothing like a good slaughtering to get you back in the mood for a game.}

Citizen Joe
2008-02-25, 05:35 PM
Butch pokes at the creatures. "Think they are edible? We'll be running short on rations eventually." He furrows his brow. "Then again, if they live down here they must be immune to the heat, so we won't be able to cook them."

Standing, he scans the cavern. "Those stalagmites look suspicious, better stay away from them for now. Sir, I recommend we secure the area around that camp first and then search for any supplies. I don't believe they got down here through the same tunnel we took, so there has to be another way out of here. Once the area is secure, we'll need to get rid of the corpses since they will draw out scavengers."

Note that the other exits aren't visible from our position.

Asmodeus
2008-02-25, 05:43 PM
Wrench

"I'm not sure about the same tunnel, but they most likely got here through that same switchback we took to get down into the chasm.

The only other tunnel we found was that one that was sealed off by a big rock. If we take a different route to the surface and its blocked by a rock, we'll be trapped.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-25, 05:48 PM
Butch

"Good point, Wrench. We'll make sure we bring back some of the mining tools so that we can move the rocks to escape."

MandibleBones
2008-02-26, 09:18 AM
Sesil

"If we finished these off so quickly, I have my doubts as to whether they were the cause behind this carnage." He looks around, as if looking for a larger creature - perhaps a mother. "Be on your guard, gentlemen."

With that, and with his sword still out, he walks purposefully toward the nearest cluster of Khyber shards.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-26, 10:51 AM
Butch

"Azzy. You and Mr. Caskin scout out that pass to the left. Do NOT engage the enemy. Report back with your findings. Wrench, take Mr. Johann with you to inspect those bodies and look for supplies in the camp. Do NOT enter the structures yet. Report your findings back to Mr. Sesil. I'll secure the central bridge with my bow."

Butch escorts Sesil over to the bridge overlooking the only visible cluster of shards, a group on a small island in the middle of the river of lava. With an arrow nocked, he scans the cavern for trouble, asking over his shoulder. "That don't look natural, sir. Ye s'pose it's keeping the heat down in here? Like a block of ice or sumpin?"

Note that we really can't see much of the cavern from where we entered. Only that one bunch of shards is actually visible. Likewise, the other exits were/are obscured. Since Azmirith and Caskin seem to be NPC's at this point, it gives Bigmac a means to point out the rest of the features of the cavern. Wrench has always shown interest in 'looting' bodies and Johann seemed interested in the 'miners' so Butch sent them to inspect. So this is more of an opportunity for the Exposition Fairy to show up than ordering people around.

Asmodeus
2008-02-26, 11:46 AM
{OOC: I'm still waiting for a response on the last set of looting.}

MandibleBones
2008-02-26, 04:56 PM
Sesil

The older campaigner looks down at the shards and the island. "I've heard these things bring a pretty penny back on the surface," he says. "Must be what these campers were here for... I wonder if there's any more? It would be a shame to leave them..."

How far down is the island? Could I reach it by taking 10 on a jump check? Is it within range (10') of my dimension leap for the way back up?

Bigmac
2008-02-26, 05:50 PM
While there may be some sort of magic at work in this cavern, standing so close to the lava on the bridge Butch and Sesil begin to sweat profusely as their armor becomes uncomfortably hot. Wrench, oblivious to the heat, heads over to the campsight. There, he manages to find 6 decesaed bodies, all with various sets of armor and weapons on their persons. A few have coin pouches attached to their belts, but it looks like the backpacks / other provisions must be inside the tents. Caskin walks along the ceiling, trying to get a good overview of the cavern while remaining out of harms way. Azmirith decides to go with Wrench and Johann over to the campsight instead of scouting out another corridor. As the two on the bridge discuss the khyber shards, a bubble of lava burst just upstream, spilling the motlen liquid out of the river and onto the ground. Whatever protection there is in the cavern obviously doesn't help protect from direct contact as the rocks sizzle where the lava lands.

Asmodeus
2008-02-26, 06:33 PM
{OOC: I was searching the monsters, not the camp bodies. I have no intention of going to the camp while there are dragonshards to be had!}

Wrench

Wrench goes with Sesil to have a look at the dragonshards. He says to Sesil "If those are true Kyber Dragon shards, they are most certainly valuable. These are the types of shards used to bind elemental power. With a sample of these, I could potentially create some amazing items. Of course, I'd have to get some information from the Zil gnomes. Perhaps our new companion could assist with that.

Do you think we could retrieve some? I might be able to conjure up some protection from the lava."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-26, 09:44 PM
Butch

As sweat drips from his brow, Butch's attention is drawn to that bubble of lava and its effect on stone. "You see... THAT'S what..." He paused mid statement when he saw both Wrench and Sesil eying the shards in the middle of the lava stream. Looking them over, he uses the end of his bow to ease them away from the edge. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Stop what you're thinking right now. If Wrench is right and these things harness elemental energy, then they're probably the only things keeping us alive right now. Stay focussed on the mission, Sir. The moment you let your purse decide your actions you'll end up all kinds of dead."

MandibleBones
2008-02-26, 10:28 PM
Sesil

Sesil nods. "That's probably a good plan, Butch. Let's check for another way out." He leaves the bridge, looking for a second exit and cooler climes :)

Search: Take 20 for 21 total.

Asmodeus
2008-02-26, 11:19 PM
Wrench

Wrench thinks for a moment about how he can get those shards. He knows he can survive the lava with an infusion, as long as he doesn't become completely immersed in it. He tries to get a gauge for how deep the lava flow is, based on how fast its flowing and how wide across it is. It must be shallow, if there is an area above the surface right in the middle.

Finally, he decides to risk it. He infuses himself with resistance to heat damage and begins to wade into the lava. As long as the flow doesn't get too deep, he'll try to reach the dragonshards. (Resistance 10, against 2d6 dmg should be pretty well protected as long as i don't stay in very long.)

Citizen Joe
2008-02-26, 11:58 PM
Butch

Butch breathed a sigh of relief having talked Sesil out of a foolish notion and then followed him off the bridge. "It is for the best, Sir. We wouldn't want to be jumping any claims anyway."

Wiping the sweat from his brow, he asks... "So, Wrench, what do you make of these bodies? Wrench? Oh GREAT HOST! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

Bigmac
2008-02-27, 10:15 AM
Wrench slapshes into the lava, the molten currents swirling around his metallic body. Yet the river does not seem to damage him as he moves towards the island. Once there he sees several Khyber Dragonshards growing out of a rock formation in the center of the island.

Asmodeus
2008-02-27, 11:48 AM
Wrench

Wrench will attempt to pry as many of the shards loose as he can, in as much of a complete condition as possible. He'll stuff whatever he can recover into his backpack, and when he finishes, he'll cross back over the lava flow to rejoin the others.

[roll0]

{OOC: I'm assuming that the part about crafting with them and their ability to enhance certain powers is common knowledge for artificers.}

Bigmac
2008-02-27, 12:54 PM
The crystls seem to be imbedded into the rock and Wrench is unable to remove any of them by hand. They look like they would need to be cut out of the rock in order to be removed.

Asmodeus
2008-02-27, 01:25 PM
Wrench

Having determined that the rock is too large to take en masse, and that his own tools could potentially damage the crystals, he crosses the lava again and heads over to the camp, where he begins searching for the appropriate tools. He figures that these miners must've been after these shards so they must have the appropriate equipment.

Bigmac
2008-02-28, 06:10 PM
The main campsight has an uneasy feel to it. The 6 bodies (4 human, 1 dwarf, and 1 half-orc) seem to be mostly intact displaying no obvious wounds. The half-orc seemed to be the best equipped, wearing half plate armor and has a wicked looking greatsword on the ground near him. The other bodies are all wearing learther or studded armor with various melee weapons on their belts or on the ground. Caskin manages to identify the leader of the camp by his House Tharashk brooch.

Exmining the contents of the tents reveals a 2ftx2ftx1ft lockbox in the main equipment tent next to general supplies such as rockpicks, gloves, rations, and other supplies. The other tent appears to have been the sleeping tent with double cots smashed one next to the other. A few personal belongings lie on the stretched canvas of the cots and a small footlocker is found locked at the end of one bed.

Asmodeus
2008-02-28, 06:53 PM
Wrench

Wrench gathers up some rock-picks and other equipment suitable for harvesting the dragonshards and carries them under one arm, while dragging the lockbox out with the other.

"Butch, maybe you can force this box open. I'm going back for the shards."

Wrench will drop the box at the front of the tent and head back to gather the shards.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-28, 09:18 PM
Butch stops Wrench, casually at first and then forcibly. "Wrench! WAIT! You'll get the rest of us killed if you go after those shards. All these men died from the heat... suddenly. You didn't see any bodies on that island right? You know why? Because the guy working on the island got incinerated by the lava. If you damage those shards, this whole place will go up in flames and we'll all die. I have no idea how you managed to walk right through the lava back there but trust me when I say that releasing the full force of the lava will destroy even your frame."

Butch gestures to the Tharashk brooch identified by Caskin.

"There's more." Continues Butch, "These aren't our shards to take. Clearly Tharashk has staked a claim on this site and they are excellent trackers. If you try to take their shards, they WILL track you down. Then let's say you survive the torrent of heat, the relentless assassins and somehow make it back to town. Who are you gonna sell it to? Ain't nobody in town able to use it or even afford to give you what it is worth. You need the people with deep pockets to make use of it. They're gonna ask questions. Questions that you won't have answers. So let's say instead that you put all our lives on the line so that you can keep those shards for yourself. What are you gonna do with them? You don't have the cash for research. Ain't nobody gonna tell you how to use it for free. Again, you got a big ol' rock you can't use or tell anyone about lessin' it gets you killed."

Butch gathers everyone around. "I wanna make this VERY clear. I signed on to this team to keep Mr. Sesil safe and to accomplish a mission given to me by Breland. You all know that mission already, and Mr. Johann, you're just a bonus. So NOBODY is gonna jeopardize that mission. Got it?"

Asmodeus
2008-02-28, 10:51 PM
Wrench

If Wrench had eyes to roll, he'd be rolling them now.

Instead, he says "Butch, you are being paranoid. And you aren't making much sense either. I would never endanger anyone's lives who wasn't endangering mine, but I doubt I'll ever get another chance like this, and I don't intend to squander this opportunity.

However, just to set your mind at ease, I'll make sure that the shards I take are not the source of death."

Wrench heads back over to the rocks and spends a minute with them, confirming that they are not magical.

[roll0] DC 15 to detect magic.

{OOC: Using AP to increase result and succeed.}

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 08:12 AM
Butch

Butch draws back an arrow pointed at Wrench, "By the HOST! I MEAN IT WRENCH! Do NOT touch that rock. There is nothing you can say that will convince me that it is NOT magical. Don't make me do this. Just back away slowly and nobody gets hurt."

Asmodeus
2008-02-29, 08:44 AM
{OOC: Holding for the DM to tell me about the rocks.}

Fester
2008-02-29, 09:32 AM
Johann

Johann calmly speaks for the first time since the battle. The knowing glint in his eyes has faded, but he is armed with his trademark smirk.

"We are at an art gallery, standing in front of a particularly beautiful painting. It matters not where the gallery is, or what the painting is of; the important point is that we are looking at it. The warforged sees the colors and brushstrokes, the attention to detail, but he misses the soul of the piece. To him, it is just a collection of colors thrown on a canvas, albeit thrown together ornately and delicately. The greater significance is lost on him, because although he can see the colors, the feel is lost on him."

"Similiarly, the farmer looks at the same painting and immediatly recognizes the impact of the painting, instantly grasping what the artist was trying to express. However, the farmer is colorblind, so rather than an array of colors, he sees a black, white, and various shades of gray. Now, the farmer knows that gray comes in various shades, he acknowledges that those shades exist, but he has trouble distinguishing between them. Simply put, although he understands the idea of the painting, he cannot appreciate it for its aesthetic value."

"The others? The masked one cannot see beyond his own mask; too caught up in death to pay attention to anything but himself. The Dragonmarked is looking at another painting entirely, murmuring to himself if he should purchase it. And myself?"

Johan chuckles.

"I own the gallery. Now, as it stands, there is only one rightful owner of the painting in question; only one person who should buy that particular piece, because only he has the capacity to truly appreciate the painting. And it is he to whom we should trust in judgement."

Johan's eyes fall to Cecil, and the smile widens.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 10:14 AM
Butch

"Ya hear that, Wrench? Johann is calling you a thief. You gonna take that from a pipsqueek like him? You should come back over here and kick his ass."

Bigmac
2008-02-29, 11:16 AM
As Wrench examines the crystals, he can tell that there is a latent magical capability within the crystals but that the school of magic is not clearly defined. The latent capability, while present, is not enough to consider the crystals a source of magic at the moment.

Caskin chimes in on Butch's commet about House Tharashk. "While I doubt those particular crystals are claimed by my house, since it seems something stronger has a firmer claim on this cave, I would say that whatever is in that box is House Tharashk property along with all the equipment in the camp. Including the mining picks. Your're wasting our time warforged. It would take days to extract those crystals, and I doubt you have the skill or training required to remove them safely. Let us take what we need, complements of my house, nd let us focus on getting back to where we can see the sun again. If you wish to remain here and waste your time, that is up to you I suppose.."

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 12:25 PM
Butch

"Alright, Wrench. By my count that's five votes to one against fiery death by greed. Now get back over here and stop messing with that Armageddon Stone!" All the while, Butch kept his bow trained on Wrench.

Asmodeus
2008-02-29, 01:19 PM
Wrench

When Butch takes aim at him, Wrench moves behind the cluster of rocks and uses it for cover, while assuming a completely defensive stance. {OOC: AC is now 25 or 29, depending on flat-footed status}

"Butch, you are a fool. Put that weapon down. I won't be picking any fights with our new friend, and I certainly won't be listening to you while you are aiming a weapon at me! I've already told you that these rocks are not causing anyone's death."

When Caskin speaks, Wrench is quiet for a moment before he finally says "I don't dispute your house's claim on its property. I could probably get a shard, given enough time, but you are right. I don't have the proper equipment without taking it from the camp, and I don't have the training to be efficient about it.

If you would kindly do something about that lunatic pointing a weapon at me, I'd be much more willing to help get us out of here."

Asmodeus
2008-02-29, 01:22 PM
{Adding a Diplomacy Check to try and convince Caskin to help me.}

[roll0]

{*Sigh* the dice hate me today.}

Bigmac
2008-02-29, 01:27 PM
Azmirith whispers into Butch's ear from just behind him. Butch was completely unaware that the ninja was even there.

For Butch
"Lower your weapon. We are all friends here, there is no need for violence." You can't see him since he's behind you, but you can feel that he is very close and could get the drop on you if he wanted to.

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 02:28 PM
(Edit: Bah screwed up with a typo in the dice roller. Use the next post.)

Action: Shoot one of the smaller invisible shadowy things by the columns
[rollv=Attack]1d20+5[/rolv]
[roll0]
[roll1]
Move Action: Reload on the move 20' into camp

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 02:30 PM
Butch

"I expressed my concern. I made a suggestion. I asked politely. I told you flat out. You FORCED this Wrench! Now STEP AWAY FROM THAT ROCK! You're endangering everyone." Butch starts to pace off to the side heading back towards the bridge to maintain a bead on Wrench. "You can't hide forever, Wrench... eventually you'll have to... What the? Aw crap! INCOMING!!"

Butch launches his arrow towards the stalagmites across the lava river then reloads as he moves back into the camp. "GET TO COVER!" he shouts, bringing his bow back up to fire.

Action: Shoot one of the smaller invisible shadowy things by the columns
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Move Action: Reload on the move 20' into camp

Asmodeus
2008-02-29, 03:04 PM
Wrench

Wrench looks over to where Butch is shooting...

If something is there...
"Olladra's Bloody Nose! I'm surrounded?"

Wrench withdraws a scroll and readies himself to use it if needed.

if nothing is there...
"Mr. Sesil, he's gone crazy! He's shooting at nothing now, and won't listen to reason that these rocks are not causing any magical effects. Permission to restrain him, Sir?"

Citizen Joe
2008-02-29, 03:20 PM
Butch

"DAMMIT! I lost sight of it. Can anyone see one? Watch the river. I doubt they can hide their passing. Keep the bridge locked down too. The CASE! DAMMIT! Who's got the case!? Get it to safety!"

Asmodeus
2008-02-29, 04:29 PM
[roll0]

spotting.....

{Edit: SEE??? What did I say? The dice do not like me. I TOLD YOU!}

Bigmac
2008-02-29, 04:45 PM
Wrench looks about, and not seeing anything says, "Mr. Sesil, he's gone crazy! He's shooting at nothing now, and won't listen to reason that these rocks are not causing any magical effects. Permission to restrain him, Sir?"

MandibleBones
2008-03-03, 06:50 PM
Sesil

Sesil, dashing over, sees nothing. "Butch," he says, calmly but with a sense of urgency, "Explain, and quickly, what you see. I need to know if something could be playing with your mind." He turns his head to Wrench. "Wrench, can you last in that lava for a while longer? I think you might be safer there for the time being."

Sorry, all - somehow I missed this page entirely this morning.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-03, 08:29 PM
Butch

"Shadows sir. Lots of them. But they all scattered when I called out. I think they might be able to turn invisible like Azzy because I can't see them now. Wrench should be safe where he is, unless they can walk through the lava like him. We need to find someplace to restrict their progress. We're dead if we stay out in the open."

Asmodeus
2008-03-03, 10:55 PM
Wrench

"I've got no problem staying here, Sir, but I'm more worried about that lunatic, than whatever shadows he sees. I still think you should let me disable him. We can take him back to the surface and get him some help."

In his mind, Wrench tries to estimate whether or not he could successfully bullrush Butch and distract him before any of his teammates were put in danger by the hallucinations.

{OOC: BigMac, about how long has it been since I cast this infusion?}

MandibleBones
2008-03-04, 08:23 AM
Sesil

"That's a negative, Wrench," Sesil says, shaking his head. "And Butch, no more pointing weapons at teammates," he adds. He grabs Butch's arm and places it over his own. "Now, show me where to put the lights."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-04, 11:37 AM
Butch

"Dammit, Sir! How should I know where they went? They're invisible! And Wrench is the one endangering us all! Something is keeping that lava baking us all and he said those rocks absorb heat or something. Now he's trying destroy the rock and roast us all! I told him FOUR TIMES to stay away from that thing. I even restrained him once. But he is so set on getting us all killed that he broke free and went right to that damn rock. I'm trying to protect you, sir, and the rest of us. I'm also trying to stay on mission sir. Now, since nobody snapped to on my warning, I'm pretty sure we're completely surrounded now. So, please consider this a request..."

Butch then forces Sesil into one of the tent where the lock box was found.

"Mr. Johann, I suggest you join us!" He calls out, dragging the lockbox in and then guarding the entrance into the tent.

Inside the tent...

Butch stands inside the tent entrance, scythe at hand ready to strike down anything moving the flaps. "Sir, they found this box in here, maybe there is some information inside. I hope to the Host that rock isn't what is keeping us alive but we need to figure out what is. And please tell me you have the ship's case with you. That's our only guarantee that we'll get paid."

Asmodeus
2008-03-04, 11:40 AM
Wrench

Wrench mutters to himself If this damn thing weren't so valuable, I'd smash it myself just to prove him wrong.

When Butch heads into the tent, Wrench will go back to trying to figure out how to get some of the shards out. He feels a little sorry for using tools that aren't his own, but then again, the dead miners don't need them, and he'll return them as soon as he gets a shard. With that settled in his mind, he starts trying to harvest a dragon shard.

He feels no need to hurry, and isn't really concerned about whatever craziness Butch claims to have seen. Butch has clearly gone mad, and is having hallucinations.

Wrench focuses his labor on trying to get the rock itself which contains the shards out in one piece. He can then focus on getting the shards out later, or even putting the rock inside his haversack and taking it to a professional to harvest the shards.

Bigmac
2008-03-04, 05:17 PM
Wrench, Caskin, and anyone outside the tent

Wrench begins to pound on the rock with the mining picks he found at the camp. The weight of the pick is vastly different from the weapons he has used, instead of a broad blunt impact area, all of the force is channeled into a single point. It is a bit awkward to use and the first time he strikes the rock the resulting vibrations in the haft nearly cause he warforged to drop the pick. Resolute, Wrench slowly begins to get the hang of the tool and is starting to eat away at the rock slowly.

Everyone else whose in the tent (assuming Sesil didn't try to stay outside. If he did then we can retcon)

When Butch asks about the case form the ship Azmirith simply says, "I have the package secured in my backpack. If required, I can attempt to disable the lock on it, or on the box there.".

Citizen Joe
2008-03-04, 05:44 PM
Meanwhile, inside the tent...

"Try to open the miner's box. We need information. I think we found some acid some place. I don't know who has it though." Butch says to Azmirith. Then he addresses the rest of the people inside. "Listen, I don't know how long Wrench can keep them from that rock but we won't have much warning if this place goes. First thing, drop to the ground, get a good breath of air and close your eyes... in that order. The hot air roasted those miners from the inside and I bet their eyes are clouded over from the heat as well. Hold your breath until the stone is able to reactivate the protective field. I doubt it will be too long or their bodies would have burnt up from the prolonged heat. If we can get under some wet blankets that may be the extra edge we'll need to survive this."

Butch continues to guard the tent flaps while Azmirith works on the lock.

Bigmac
2008-03-05, 10:20 AM
Inside the tent

Azmirith begins to work on the lock with some lockpicks that the carried somewhere within the folds of his clothing. He deftly begins to manipulate the tumbler with one pick while keeping the tension on the tunstile with the other. Finally, after several minutes, the lock clickes open and is removed from the box. When it is opened, inside are three dragonshrds like the ones out in the chamber as well as another, small box. This box is emblemized with the crest of house Cannith, but there is no apparent way to open the box.

Outside the tent
Wrench continues to take his time gathering the piece of rock he is working on. Upstream a bublle in the the lava bursts sending lava in every direction around it.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-11, 09:45 AM
Inside the tent...

Butch seems tense and anxious. "It's too quiet out there." He mutters and then pushes aside the tent flap enough to peak through. "DAMMIT! What is Wrench doing!? He's gonna get us all killed if he keeps beating on that rock. I don't see any shadows out there. Maybe they went back to..." Butch's jaw hung low. He uttered a string of guttural words which must be some sort of Orcish curse as he dropped the flap to the tent. "Get all the supplies you can find FAST! Search those bodies out there for identification papers and maybe get a lock of hair from each corpse. We need to move fast. Whatever those shadows are, they must have seen Wrench beating on that rock and escaped through a tunnel over behind those columns. Keep that box out of the wonder packs though, I don't want to mix magiks."

MandibleBones
2008-03-11, 03:37 PM
Sesil

Sesil quietly picks up the Cannith-box. "I'll hold on to this," he says. "Butch, if you could please tell Wrench that we've found a few shards and he can go ahead and leave the lavarocks be? That would likely get him out here faster."

The soldier isn't quite sure of what's going on, but he can guess - if Butch's shadows ARE real, they may have gone for reinforcements.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-11, 07:00 PM
Butch

Butch nods and ducks out of the tent. "Wrench! Mr. Sesil says we don't need those shards and orders you to leave those lava rocks alone! Now get back over here and help gather supplies. We don't have much time."

Asmodeus
2008-03-11, 10:27 PM
Wrench

Wrench continues his work saying "Go back inside the tent and lay down, Butch. You're seeing things again."

MandibleBones
2008-03-12, 08:00 AM
Sesil

Sesil pokes his head out of the tent. "What I was trying to say, Wrench, is that we've found a few shards already."

Asmodeus
2008-03-12, 08:11 AM
Wrench

"Sir, I don't think I'd be comfortable stealing shards that belong to someone else." Wrench looks at Caskin to see what his reaction to all this is.

Bigmac
2008-03-12, 12:42 PM
Caskin says that while the shards in the cavern don't belong to house Tharashk, the ones in the box most certainly do. The inclusion of a box of some sort from house Cannith is a bit puzzling though. Regardless, his house would surly be willing to pay a finders fee for the shards and the safe return of the corpse of the marked member of the house.

MandibleBones
2008-03-12, 12:47 PM
Sesil

Sesil nods at Caskin. "If these in the box belong to the House, as you say, rather than these individuals, we'll certainly get them to their owners," he said. He makes no mention of the Cannith-box.

"Be careful, Wrench, and watch your back," he adds, hoping Butch IS imagining things.

Asmodeus
2008-03-12, 01:08 PM
Wrench

During one point of the work, Wrench casts an infusion to enhance his skill at mining. (Skill Enhancing Item) Then Wrench continues trying to harvest a shard which he can truly claim as his own.

However, even with the proper tools and an infusion enhancing his skill, he finds he is unable to harvest a shard. Disheartened, Wrench will slog back through the lava to rejoin his companions. He returns the tools back where he got them, and reports to Sesil "I'm sorry, Sir. I've failed at my attempt to harvest a shard for our own use."

[roll0] DC 20
If failed, but over 14, use AP
[roll1]

Edit: Add +4 competence for infusion to enhance my profession skill, and +2 for the tools circumstance bonus. = success!!! woot!!!

Edit2: um, nevermind. Not success... I had the wrong initial modifier.
Roll 10 - 2WIS +4Competence +2 circumstance = 14. Not using an AP to try and succeed, so failure, hard core.

MandibleBones
2008-03-12, 01:41 PM
Sesil

Sesil begins to clap Wrench on the back, then pulls his hand back gingerly, remembering where the warforged just was.

"It happens to the best of us, Wrench. There will be more shards later on - perhaps we can barter with the Tharaskh for one if we end up needing them. Now, let's start looking for another exit."

He looks at everyone else. "Preferably in pairs - I don't want anyone getting surprised and ambushed by another unsuspected creature."

Asmodeus
2008-03-12, 02:55 PM
{OOC: Is fester still with us? If so....}

Wrench

"I'll go with the gnome. I'd like to get to know him a little better."

Wrench approaches their diminutive companion. "Shall we do a little exploring then?"

Fester
2008-03-12, 07:14 PM
(ooc: yes, been busy)
Johann

"Why yes, I would be delighted to share your company, warforged."

Asmodeus
2008-03-12, 09:23 PM
Wrench

Wrench offers a handshake to Johann. "My name is Wrench."

Wrench starts walking towards the southern end of the cavern. "I want to apologize for Butch. I hope his behavior lately hasn't left you with a poor impression of us. He means well. He just doesn't understand about how some things work in this world. He comes from a simple background, and hasn't had much experience with things of a magical nature.

Of course, he's never turned violent about it before...

So, tell me about yourself. Where are you from? What are your interests?"

Bigmac
2008-03-14, 08:40 AM
The gnome and warforged make their way to the southern side of the great cavern. There is a large indention of rock into the cavern in between the lava river and the pool of lava that is accumulating on the floor. Across the lava river, on the southwest side of the cavern is what appears to be another entreance into the cavern from a different direction.

While that pair is off exploring the southern side of the cavern, Azmirith and Caskin will head out to explore the area above the ledge on the eastern side of the cavern, leaving Butch and Sesil in the camp for now.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-15, 09:53 PM
Butch

Butch looks about the cavern, scooping up some gravel from the ground and letting it fall through his fingers, then gazing upwards. He then raises and eyebrow and shakes his head at Sesil. "Sir, this just doesn't feel right. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about mining, 'ceptin what I've heard around town. I mean sure, I've used a pick to dig rocks out of the field every spring, but going right into the rock like this... No sir. But still... Here, let me tell you a little story while the others secure this cavern..."

He flipped his scythe about in a gesturing manner as he started his story. "I was raised on a farm a bit north of Shavalant, close to Silver Lake. Actually, it was closer to a horse ranch than farm. But we still needed to plow the fields to help the War effort. I lost two brothers in the fighting, but I was still too young to enlist so I couldn't do anything about it. When Pa passed in his sleep, Ma had to rely on me to do most of the work on the farm. I did my best to train the horses for the cavalry but they all got sent off to fight. So that just left me there to till the fields by hand."

He flexed his well muscled body, "It's good for the body, but all that time in the field gives you lots of time to think. With Sissy off studying in Sharn, I had lots to think about with her letters home. So, ya, I had lots to think about while I tilled the fields."

He wiped some sweat from his forehead and tried to work his way back to his point. "OK, so, I know about horses... and horses need shoes right? Well that meant heading into town to the blacksmith. That was pretty neat. He heated up the iron until it was glowing hot and then bent it into a horseshoe. I even saw him pouring molten steel into a casting to make some nails. Talk about hot. He had me stoke the fire once... gah... I almost choked to death on the smoke... and the sparks... oh my... Some sparks landed near, not in, but NEAR some hay. It started smoldering and it would have started a fire if we didn't dump that bucket of water on it right away. Ya, I wasn't allowed to help anymore after that."

Butch sucked on his teeth a moment before continuing. "So that left me with some spare time to take up my other hobby... eating. During the harvest festival, the local bakery makes these delicious blueberry pies. I had a chance to help out one day. Opening that oven just about knocked me off my feet with the blast of heat coming out of it."

Butch gave Sesil a slight nod. "You're not seein' it are ya? This whole cavern should be an oven. And that 'lava' over there should be as hot as molten steel. We should be exploding into flames. But we're not. By the Host, Wrench just waded right through it. But it ain't more uncomfortable than a hot summer day in here. This dirt... it ain't right neither... Them bridges over there... not one but TWO! Ya, that ain't natural. I mean look up. You can't tell me there ain't nothin' wrong with that."

Asmodeus
2008-03-16, 11:55 AM
Wrench

Wrench makes some smalltalk with the gnome, listening politely and with interest if/when Johann chooses to speak.

When the discovery of the new passage way is made, Wrench tries to get an idea of where the path leads. Most importantly, whether it slopes up towards the surface, or further down into the depths.

MandibleBones
2008-03-16, 05:28 PM
Sesil

Sesil is polishing his falchion and trying to work out the lock on the cannithbox.

"I'll be the first to admit that it's odd," he says, "But who knows how the planes and the pit interact? It could be some odd conjunction with the land of fire, or just the natural magic of Eberron's treacherous sister below us. There's magic everywhere in the world, Butch, and it's no more unnatural than your pie oven."

He continues studying the cannithbox. His voice hasn't lost the haunted quality from Threshkor's death yet, but it sounds like he's trying to ignore it at present.

"On a related note, pie sounds rather good right now."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-16, 08:19 PM
Butch

Butch raises an eyebrow and then continues the metaphor, "So then you don't mind that WE are the pies?"

Butch tried to look serious and then his stomach grumbled. "Dammit! Now I'm hungry for pie!"

With a sigh and a grumble, he continues. "Sir, I know we've got magic throughout the world. But there's magic and then there's twisting and contorting the very laws of existence to your whim. And that is just the start. Our mission is to get that box back to Orcbone... maybe Mr. Johann too... I bet we could get pie if we brought him back... mmm.... pie... But that's not the point. We are just getting more and more questions and nobody is bothering to even ask them. I would say we know exactly zero about what happened, but I think we've got false information so we're actually in the negatives. I mean, you'd think that existence unmaking itself before our eyes might be cause for at least a passing comment. For all we know, that may actually be a river of cherry pie filling flowing past... mmm... pie..."

Asmodeus
2008-03-16, 10:07 PM
Wrench

Wrench will lead the way back to camp. Upon seeing Sesil, he'll say "Sir! I believe I've found another way out. There is a passage to the south that leads up."

MandibleBones
2008-03-17, 09:12 AM
Sesil

"Good work, Wrench. Any hostiles?"

Asmodeus
2008-03-17, 10:48 AM
Wrench

Turns his head to look at Butch, although he speaks to Sesil. "No, Sir. No one has tried to attack me since leaving the mining camp."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-17, 07:45 PM
Butch

"Umm... which way is south now? I got really turned around in those tunnels. Are you talking about that opening across the lava behind those columns?" Butch points across the lava river to the opening on the far wall. "I suspect the shadows fled that way when they saw you trying to destroy the shards. I may have scared them off with my arrow too. If we use the tents, we can seal off that entry tunnel well enough that all the fumes have to go out that one chimney. It will probably have a more dramatic effect on our torches so we'll be able to follow the flickering flame out to fresh air."

Bigmac
2008-03-19, 07:10 PM
Caskin an Azmirith return from the eastern passage and report that the tunnel seems to head further into the depths. Azmirith mentions that he thought he heard some movement, so they headed back as quickly and quietly as they could. Caskin gathers a few things from the camp, the box with the dragonshards being among them and looks to the others. "So, we ready to head out of here the way Wrench found, or are we headed back the way we came?"

Asmodeus
2008-03-19, 08:00 PM
Wrench

"What about the bodies? Should we leave them? I don't think we have time to bury them, but should we cremate them in the lava?"

Citizen Joe
2008-03-20, 11:12 AM
Butch

"Alright, let's finish searching these bodies. Find their travel papers and identification. Then gather up any personal belongings, family heirlooms and such. Then get a lock of hair from each as a memento for their families. Mr. Sesil and Mr. Caskin can verify the documents. Mr. Johann, make yourself useful and make note of their cause of death, date, etc. Wrench, your wonderpack has the firewood in it. Help me construct a pyre. Destruction of the corpse is not the point of the ceremony. We need to respect their souls. That means a proper pyre. If you need to sate your desire for destruction, those creatures that attacked us at the entrance still need to be disposed of. Mr. Sesil... Mr. Caskin... You're both representing your Houses here. Bringing back a corpse will severely hamper us. However, if you deem it necessary to your Houses, we could probably arrange something. Just weigh our risks in your assessment."

Asmodeus
2008-03-20, 12:21 PM
Wrench

Wrench's voice takes on a tint of anger, which is very rare for the artificer. Fortunately it fades away quickly. "Just because I don't face the threat of death from age doesn't mean I think it requires destruction.

However, I still think that we need to be expedient, and it would be quicker to place the bodies in the lava than dig a grave, or construct a pyre. It would also consume less of our limited resources. But if you still deem it necessary to be respectful to the dead, so be it."

Wrench will assist with building a pyre, if its still requested.

MandibleBones
2008-03-20, 01:49 PM
Sesil

"I'm no chaplain, but I think the lava should make a fine pyre, Butch, if we are careful to pay our proper respects first. While you're gathering their things, see if you can't find some indication of their faith, if any... if not, the Host shall have to suffice."

He proceeds to help prepare the bodies for cremation as best he knows how, murmuring a silent prayer to Aureon and the Host as he does.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-20, 05:16 PM
Butch

"Perhaps you did not notice the bubbling nature of the lava. And the splashy nature of dropping corpses into a liquid. I would like to consider my health a resource that I'm not willing to expend when there is a perfectly good pile of wood to use. Besides, you can carry more loot in your wonderpack if we empty all that firewood, Wrench."

Butch then sets to building his pyre from the firewood, placing the corpses on the pile of wood as they are searched.

Asmodeus
2008-03-20, 09:15 PM
Wrench

Wrench will leave the haversack with Butch for the moment. As the bodies are looted, he'll carry them over to the nearest bridge and drop them, with as much respect as he can, into the lava. If he can do this while Butch is distracted with building a pyre from firewood, all the better.

If the laws of physics hold true, he will be in no danger from lava splash as long as he's the one dropping the body, and he will make sure no one is near before he releases. If for some reason, the laws of physics don't work in his favor, he'll probably get a single point of splash damage per body, and fix it with an infusion later. If, against all odds, he takes excessive damage from some errant splash on the first body, he'll not drop another.

Finally, he'll take his haversack back, without any wood in it, and say "You're right, Butch. I can carry much more gear without that useless wood taking up space."

Bigmac
2008-03-21, 07:57 AM
Butch easily notices Wrench taking the body over to the bridge, even while he is still in the process of building the pyre. Caskin also notices and makes the comment, "Better hurry up Wrench, or he's liable to get he bow again."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-21, 09:19 AM
Butch

Busy with constructing the pyre, Butch doesn't seem to notice the corpses going over the bridge. As the last corpse goes into the lava he calls out. "OK, the pyre is finished. Bring the bodies... Now, which one was the House member we were taking back for the reward? And has anyone seen my keys?"

Asmodeus
2008-03-21, 01:22 PM
Wrench

"No one said anything about taking a corpse back. In fact, I believe you yourself said that it would be a burden, Mr. Butch.

Sir, I'm ready when you are." The last part is directed to Sesil.

At some point, he will head over to Caskin and say "Mr. Caskin, do you think it would be ok if I were to look at one of the shards your people have collected while we head back to the surface? I won't keep it; I would just like the chance to examine one while I can."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-21, 01:46 PM
Butch

"Wow, Wrench, you don't listen to anyone do you? Mr. Caskin said that his House would reward us for the safe return of the dragon marked body. Oh well, it can't be THAT much harder to just use the lock of hair rather than a whole body, right Mr. Sesil?"

Butch then presents the stack of identification papers, heirlooms and locks of hair to Caskin. "On behalf of the village of Shavalant and the Nation of Breland, I extend our gravest regret to your House's loss. Take comfort in knowing that they died furthering the interest of you House." Butch gives Caskin a salute and then turns back to the tents.

"Let's tally up our equipment and supplies before we head out."

I believe we have about 2 days worth of rations left. Not sure how much we found in camp.
We lost all our rope back on the cliff. I'd like as much rope as we can find/carry.
We used up a couple blankets to make ropes, I'd like to replace those.
We want some mining equipment like picks and things. Butch has his shovel still.
I'd like to make sure our waterskins are full and everyone drain then first to offset all the heat in the cavern.
Torches or candles... something to make smoke so we can follow the flow. I'm assuming someone can produce magical light. If there are sunrods in the camp we'll take those too.

[spoiler

MandibleBones
2008-03-21, 01:52 PM
Sesil

"As I've said before, a light source shouldn't be a problem for us. How is our water situation doing?"

Asmodeus
2008-03-21, 02:18 PM
Wrench

Wrench stays quiet for a moment as he thinks back, then says "I didn't notice any of the bodies having dragonmarks, but I wasn't looking for them. Mr. Caskin, you didn't happen to save the marked body, did you?

If not, I'm very sorry for forgetting to save that one."

Citizen Joe
2008-03-21, 03:21 PM
Butch

"Good point, Mr. Sesil. Back on the farm during summer we had a couple people go down from the heat every week. Mom always brought some fruit drinks when we were at the close fields, but otherwise it was just water from the collection barrels. Dammit... now I'm thirsty... and I want pie!"

Bigmac
2008-03-22, 06:33 PM
Caskin did indeed save the dragonmarked body in the off chance he was of major importance. Perhaps the reigning members of the house could extraxct se information from the corpse.

The group starts to take the sthern exit from the chamber. An hour orso after they left the chamber they come to a high wall, about 100 feet or more high that has a narrow opening in it. I takes nearly the rest of the day for the group to travel the opening with all of their equipment and gear intact. There isa space just above the opening that looks like an adequet place to camp.

Asmodeus
2008-03-24, 12:38 PM
{OOC: I'm afraid I need to be gone for the week. Put me on drool rule or someone can control me if needed. Cya this weekend.}

MandibleBones
2008-03-24, 12:53 PM
Sesil

"Let's definitely rest here," Sesil says. "We need to set up watches for the night, as well - I'll take either first or last, whichever isn't wanted."

Asmodeus
2008-03-28, 02:32 PM
Wrench

Wrench settles in for a boring night.

To keep himself occupied, he will try to examine the dragonshards that they managed to recover, if Caskin is ok with it. Otherwise, he goes over the contents of the box that Asmirith has been carrying from the crashed airship.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-29, 10:37 AM
Butch

"Alright. Let's get a blanket over that opening so we don't give away our position with our lights. Everyone, let's go ahead and finish off the trail rations. We'll be getting by on mine rations after this. Mr. Johann please make sure all the skins have water and fill the bucket. I'm sure you are all too polite to mention it, but I am reeking from that lava cavern back there. When we get back to the surface, I'm sure the Droaamites will have some dogs searching for us so there is no sense making their job easier with a stronger scent. We'll take four hour shifts on watch. I'll take the last shift so I can pack up. Mr. Caskin and Azzy are on second watch. Wrench, you may examine the shards during that time under Mr. Caskin's supervision. Mr. Sesil and Mr. Johann have first watch. Wrench, during the first watch, I want you to sort through and inspect all the gear we gathered from the mining camp. You and I are the heaviest of our group, if a nicked rope gives way, it will be while we are climbing it so this is particularly important. Last watch, you're with me... and that means watching, not intense study of some rock while someone sneaks up. First focus is on our safety, got it?"

Asmodeus
2008-03-29, 04:23 PM
Wrench

Wrench doesn't respond to Butch in the least. He just continues with whatever he was doing before.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-30, 09:19 PM
Butch

Butch raises an eyebrow at Wrench. He claps his hands in front of Wrench. "Hey! Focus. You're on third watch with me and I need this gear inspected."

Asmodeus
2008-03-30, 10:31 PM
Wrench

Wrench takes his gear and moves to the opposite side of the cave, away from Butch.

Bigmac
2008-03-31, 09:01 AM
The night passes uneventfully, and the group begins the slow journey out of the bowels of the earth. The passageways are much steeper than the ones leading down into the cavern, but around lunchtime, Azmirith manages to find a path that looks older than some dawrfs, but is still intact. Progress goes much faster on the path, steps being much easier to climb than rope. When the party finally escapes the passage, it is late in the afternoon and you realize that the exit from the caverns was hidden is in the middle of the switchback that traveled down into the valley.

MandibleBones
2008-03-31, 06:06 PM
Sesil

Sesil murmurs quietly: "We need to find somewhere to rest that's on our path out of here," he says. "Azmirith, if you could disappear and scout a bit ahead, I'd like to avoid running into any animal-driven ambushes."

Asmodeus
2008-03-31, 07:41 PM
Wrench

Once they get out into the open, Wrench is going to try and find a way to speak with Sesil privately.

(Sesil)
"Sir, I don't want to cause dissension in the ranks, but I don't know how I can trust Butch again. After someone points a weapon at you, it becomes very difficult to turn your back on them, let alone trust them with the safety of your life.

Do you have any advice?"

Bigmac
2008-03-31, 08:01 PM
Azmirith nods towards Sesil and heads off to scout the immedeate area.

Bigmac
2008-04-02, 08:46 AM
Azmirith appears behind Sesil a while later. He says softly, "There is a group of dog headed humanoids up ahead. I spotted around 5, not telling if there are more. They were wearing a mixture of leather and mail. Most had bows or spears and a flail. They had a sentry posted, but I don't believe that I was noticed. It would be difficult to pass by them unnoticed, unless we climb over one of these mountains."

Asmodeus
2008-04-02, 09:02 AM
Wrench

"Only 5? Oh we can take em!"

Citizen Joe
2008-04-02, 05:34 PM
Butch

"Umm... Wrench... Unlike our standard procedure, it sounds like they are dug in and will launch numerous volleys of arrows at us as we try to close. Also, they are likely just a scouting party for the main group of Droaamites. All they need to beat us is to raise an alarm and the entire valley will get sealed. Barring any brilliant tactics that will stop them from raising an alarm as soon as they see us, we should just climb over the mountain."

MandibleBones
2008-04-04, 07:21 AM
Sesil

"I am with Butch on this - if we can avoid combat, we should. I want no more lost men," he adds grimly.

Asmodeus
2008-04-04, 07:43 AM
Wrench

"Yes, Sir."

Wrench takes his pack and withdraws the climbing kits, as well as a length of rope, and a grappling hook.

"Where would you like to ascend today?"

Bigmac
2008-04-04, 09:02 AM
Azmirth, tired of all the climbing, decides to speak. "Perhaps there is a better way. If we could neutralize the lookout, we should be able to pass by fairly easily. I'm no expert in magic, but perhaps our friend here could be of some assistance in the matter.

Johan, hearing Azmirith's comments, speaks up. "There once was a boy who was entrusted to search for lost sheep. He looked here and there, all about really. Problem was, he couldn't find them, even though he knew the sheep were close by. Instead of walkikng in circles looking for the sheep, he decided to find the highest hill and keep a lookout for them. He stood there for a few hours, but nothing happened. Depressed, he sat down in the shade of the tree. The shade felt good, and it was cofortable. So comfortable that he fell asleep. When he awoke, he saw that not only had he not found the sheep he was looking for, but that all his other sheep had gotten away too."

Citizen Joe
2008-04-04, 09:45 AM
Butch

"Yes! Of course. We just drop sheep on them from up high. That is brilliant." Butch smirks. "Everyone, back into the hidden cave while we go over this."

Back in the hidden cave. "Alright. Caskin will go up the crevasse ahead of me scouting out ledges and secure points for tying off. I'll be exposed, free climbing that niche up to a suitable ledge. Azmirith will hide at the bottom acting as a scout if anything comes snooping around. When everything is clear, I'll tie off a rope and haul each of you up one at a time. Just throw the loop around you and hold on. We'll need to do this anyway to get the corpse up and over. Meanwhile, Caskin will be scouting for the next ledge. You three stay hidden in this cave until Azmirith signals you. Mr. Johann, you'll be riding the corpse up the mountain. I know it sounds distasteful but I'll need you there to make sure it doesn't get fouled in branches. Next up would be Mr. Sesil... then Wrench and finally we pick up Azzy."

Asmodeus
2008-04-04, 11:01 AM
Wrench

"As much as I hate to admit it, Butch is right. If we are going to climb up high enough to drop sheep on them, we may as well just climb over and around them."