PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Adventures



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bigmac
2007-06-12, 10:16 AM
The group had set off early in the morning with only a few rays of sunlight to brighten the dusty road. Orcbone was a good two day ride and every second of daylight counted. The magebread horses were saddled up for the riders escorting the animals and the rest of the horses were bridled together in a line with a member of House Vadalis leading the column. Off to the side a large and powerful brown bear loped along with a rider in a saddle on its back. Cecil the Grey of House Orien had been tasked to see to it the animals were delivered safely to Lord Veirner ir’Tajar. The message informed him that there had been evidence of bandit activity in the area so he had hired on what competent help he could find in the small town on short notice.

As the sun fully rises above Eberron the warmth drives away the cool of the morning. It was still early in the summer season but the days felt hotter than the same time last year. The road twists through the small farms and ranches that fill the countryside. Beasts of burden drag watering carts across the fields under the watchful eyes of the landowners. A few wave and smile as you pass by. Shortly after midday the group stops to eat their lunch in the shade of a few old trees. The short reprieve from the saddle is refreshing even if the trail rations aren’t. The two members of House Vidalis see to the care and feeding of the horses. Your meal is interrupted by a loud growl followed promptly by a shrill scream. The bear has risen up on its hind legs and swiped a massive paw across the handler’s chest leaving a mess of flesh, clothing, and blood in its wake. Screams of pain and terror mix as the man falls to the ground at the feet of the beast.

EDIT: Initiative Order:
Azmith
Cecil
Butch
Nadeem
Bear
Wrench
House Vadalis trainer

Citizen Joe
2007-06-12, 10:57 AM
"Aw SHAVARATH!" Butch curses, springing to his feet. "The HORSES!!"

Butch moves to the horses to control them.

[spoiler]
Initiative [roll0]
Move action up to 20' towards horses
Action: Calm horses and lead away Skill Check Animal Handling [roll1]
[/quote]

Citizen Joe
2007-06-12, 10:58 AM
DRAT messed up the formatting... sweet animal handling check though

MandibleBones
2007-06-12, 12:22 PM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=16573)

The older man, voice calm but stern with the strenght of war, draws his large sword.

"Butch," he calls, "Gather the others and keep the horses out of the way of that bear." He motions to the two strongest. "You two, with me."

Cecil advances towards the beast, keeping his falchion between himself and the bear's claws... keeping a wary eye out for whatever might have spooked the ursine creature in the first place.

Spot to notice what might have spooked the bear. (1d20+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1098252)

Citizen Joe
2007-06-12, 12:45 PM
"On it, Sir!" Butch exclaims, seizing the horse reigns. "Whoa girl... easy does it... I got you now... you're safe... come along now..."

Ishikar
2007-06-12, 02:05 PM
Nadeem

Hold, let me try calming him before we fight. Nadeem moves foward slightly speaking softly in a calming manner while motioning to calm the bear.

Wild Empathy Check: [roll0]

KCiemir
2007-06-12, 06:14 PM
{how should we head our posts?}
Azmirith

Azmirith reacts quicker than seemed possilbe, Before Cecil, butch and Nadeem had a chance to speak. like a whisper, he says: Be seen striking your foe, and you shall be shown no mercy.. While he says this, his figure, still conceled witihin the hooded cloak slid, like a shadow in the night, to behind the bear, morningstar glistening in his hand.

move around bear(double move if necessary) so not to provoke AoO, and be behind the bear. Ready action to attak if bear strikes again.

Bigmac
2007-06-12, 07:03 PM
Azmith springs into action and moves quickly to position himself behind the massive bear. As he is moving towards the bear, Butch grabs the lead horse by it's reigns and quickly moves the train calmly away from the roaring predator. The horses follow his lead without struggling and are surprisingly calm despite the smell of blood in the air. Cecil yells out his orders while drawing his weapon. He takes a quick scan of the surroundings to see if something might have spooked the animal, but can't seem to find anything. As he is looking around Nadeem tries to placate the animal. His motions go unnoticed as the bear begins to tear into the man on the ground in front of him. The screams are quickly silenced as the bear rips the man's throat out with a single bite. It then turns to face the person standing behind him.

KCiemir
2007-06-12, 07:12 PM
{can Azmirith take the readyied action to attack the bear when it strikes at the guy on the ground? If so:}
Open if readied attack is made, ignore if not

In his wispered voce, Azmirith says:You have oversteped your bounds!. As these words spring from his lips, the morningstar comes down at the bear. [roll=attack]1d20+4[/rpll], EDIT=mispelled:smallfurious: . damage= [roll0]

KCiemir
2007-06-12, 07:17 PM
Attack roll

[roll0]

Bigmac
2007-06-12, 07:22 PM
{OOC Azmuth didn't declare a readied action till after I posted, so I'm going to say it took a double move to get behind the bear without provoking an AoO. You will, however, attack when it is your turn to act next round with the same rolls, if you wish.}

Asmodeus
2007-06-12, 08:19 PM
{Mac, my PM box is full so i can't reply. For future private stuff, use spoilers.}

Wrench

Wrench, given no orders, looks around, feeling rather lost. Fortunately for him, his confusion leads to a discovery. He points to a farmer in the field about 100 ft away saying "Sir! Over there!"

Seeing that the person appears to be in concentration, as if maintaining a spell, Wrench tries to identify the spell being used.

[roll0]

If he identifies the spell as an aggressive spell, or the cause of the bear turning on its master, Wrench will draw a scroll of Magic Missile and cast it, targeting the farmer, hoping more to disrupt the spell rather than to cause death.

If he can't identify the spell, or if its a spell that isn't aggressive, Wrench will delay until he receives orders from Cecil.

Bigmac
2007-06-12, 09:03 PM
Wrench studies the man he pointed out who is watching the events intently, and while he is pretty sure that there is something magical going on with the man, he isn't sure exactly what it is. The House Vidalis trainer who is standing runs over to Butch and takes the reigns from him. He is out of breath from the short sprint, but manages to wheeze out a few words."I'll take these guys for ya." Azmuth, seeing the animal continue to attack the downed man swings his morningstar into the thick hide of the beast. It gives a growl of pain as a bone gives way to the pressure.

Mappage Round 2:
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8572/mapxh8.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mapxh8.jpg)

Initiative Order:
Azmith (already gone) (Red Circle)
Cecil (Blue Circle)
Butch (Dark Green Circle)
Nadeem (Orangish Circle)
Bear (Big Brown Circle)
Wrench (Light Green Circle)
House Vidalis trainer (Purpel Circle)

{Azmith, I assumed you wanted to attack. If you don't let me know and I can modify this post. All, click on the map to get a bigger version. I didn't have time to add letters and numbers for the grid, but assume the following convention..Left side top to bottom is alphabet A,B,C,D, ect. Top side left to right is numbers 1,2,3,4 ect. So Azmith is in square B3.}

Asmodeus
2007-06-12, 09:08 PM
{OOC: You need to tell us which colors represent which person.}

Citizen Joe
2007-06-12, 09:25 PM
BUTCH (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch quickly looks back to the bear as he runs his hand over his bow, still attached to the saddle. Seeing the others already engaged, he draws out his scythe instead. Handing off the reigns, he directs the Vadalis trainer, "Go, get them to safety. We'll handle this."

He turns, ready to charge the beast and shouts, "It's tasted human blood! We must put it down!"


Move Action: Draw scythe
Move Action: Manipulate item: Hand off horses

MandibleBones
2007-06-12, 09:33 PM
Cecil

"Good catch, Wrench!" Cecil barks approvingly. "See what he's up to, will ye?" The aging courier places himself directly opposite Azmith and swings his falchion two-handed. A silent prayer to the Host to protect him passes his lips as he places himself in harm's way.


Attacking the bear (+2 flanking) (1d20+8=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1099008)
Damage to the Bear (2d4+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1099011)

Asmodeus
2007-06-12, 09:53 PM
Wrench

Wrench says to Cecil "He's concentrating on a spell of some sort. I can't tell which one. Should I try to stop him?"

If Cecil says to stop him, Wrench will draw the Magic Missile scroll and use it on the farmer. Otherwise, Wrench will run towards the man and ask him "What are you doing there?"

MandibleBones
2007-06-13, 05:47 AM
Cecil

"Go find out what he's doing. If he runs away, stop him."

Asmodeus
2007-06-13, 07:25 AM
Cecil

"Go find out what he's doing. If he runs away, stop him."

{OOC: ok, not doing the magic missile thing. running up to the guy.}

KCiemir
2007-06-13, 05:47 PM
{Azmith, I assumed you wanted to attack.

Thats fine, Azmirith attacks

Ishikar
2007-06-13, 09:45 PM
Nadeem

Moving forward across from Azmith Nadeem attacks the frenzied animal.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
((Sorry about the delay, I had forgotten to subscribe to this thread. that has been fixed))

Ishikar
2007-06-13, 09:46 PM
Critical confirmation roll: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

Bigmac
2007-06-14, 07:52 AM
Cecil gives the warforged it's instructions before he returns his attention to the more pressing matter of a raging bear. Moving withing arms reach of the animal the veteran warrior swings his falchion in a wide arc across the bear's exposed flank. What should have been a massive gash is instead a small scratch that didn't even cut through the thick hide of fur.

Wrench, having received his orders, begins to run off after a strange human to the east that is watching the fight. His adamantine body leaves deep imprints in the earth as his massive body lumbers forward towards the man. He calls out to him, "What are you doing there?". The farmer does not take his focus off the fight, but manages to respond. "I'm watching the show. My money is on the bear." Despite his lack of understanding when it comes to the actions of humans, or any organic creatures at all, the warforged finds the comment to be lacking sincerity.

Butch draws his weapon as the trainer takes the horses from him. He watches as the elf Nadeem swings his double bladed staff in a powerful reverse thrust that plunges the blade into the bear's back several inches deep. As he pulls the weapon out a fine mist of blood sprays through the open wound. The bear had been focused on it's first attacker, Azmirith. He swings a massive paw across his chest that tears through his armor and leaves three crimson trails starting at Azmirith's left should and traveling down to his abdomen. Azmirith retains his wits and deftly avoids the left paw that reaches out to grab him and the ferocious maw that closes inches from his throat. Seeing the bear wrecking havoc, the House Vadalis trainer leads the horses to a nearby tree where he begins to tie them up.

For Azmirith
you take 12pts of damage
For Wrench
somehow you passed your sense motive. He's up to something

Round 3 Init Order
Azmirith
Cecil
Wrench
Butch
Nadeem
Bear
House Vadalis Trainer

Map is up. Please note that I had to shift things a bit since wrench started to go off the map. I hope it doesn't cause too much problems. For reference, the farmer is currently located at B,-15 (fifteen spaces off the map to the left in row B).

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d463ba206c.jpg (http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?d463ba206c.jpg)

Edit: added spoilers, clarified text, fixed misspelling, added mappage

Citizen Joe
2007-06-14, 08:22 AM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch takes off at full speed heading for the battle. His scythe blade swaying dangerously as he moves. "I'm coming SIR!" he yells. As he gets close, Butch brings his weapon to position and starts to make his final approach.


Full round action: Run (x4)
Start: M1720
End: B69
Total distance 11 diagonal squares.. 16 total move.

This always seems to happen to me... getting stuck out of the fight waiting for an elevator or some other thing.:smallmad:

MandibleBones
2007-06-14, 11:12 AM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=16573)

Seeing his sword has no effect, Cecil takes a step back to clear himself from the bear's paws. Concentrating, he extends his hand, where a glowing ball of green light appears. The light shudders as if charging, and as he calls out a work in the language of magic, the ball streaks towards the bear.


5-foot step, then acid splash.

Ranged touch for Acid Splash (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1101586)
Crit Confirm for Acid Splash (1d20+5=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1101589)
First roll is normal damage, 2nd adds any critical (1d3=3, 1d3=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1101592)

Ishikar
2007-06-14, 11:38 AM
Nadeem

Taking his early success as a good sign Nadeem shifts his grip and sends both ends of his blade slashing across his enemy.

Attack1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack 2[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Asmodeus
2007-06-14, 12:16 PM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 19(vt:11 ff:18)

Wrench draws the scroll of Magic Missile, and says to the 'farmer' "Release whatever spell you are maintaining, or else!"

Wrench then readies himself to cast the spell and target the farmer, if he does not comply with the demand.

[roll0]

Asmodeus
2007-06-14, 12:40 PM
[roll0]

DC = 21

Edit: Using an action point to emulate the Feat Skill Focus(Use Magic Device). Grants a +3 bonus to the skill check for a total of 21 exactly.

5 action points left.

KCiemir
2007-06-14, 06:01 PM
Azmirith 4/16 HP

The deep gash across his chest didnt dull his wits a bit, and he soon realized his mistake. In order to avoid any more attacks, he focuses for a spil second, and with a swish of the cloths on his back, he disapears. {if he can still take AOOs when invisible, this is withdraw, not sure on rules}

use 1 ki power to use ghost step, invisible. Azmirith will be invisible untill the beginning of his initiative again. it is a swift action that does not provoke AoO
He will move (or withdraw, if AoO still aplies) to F4 (west to B4, south to F4 for 30 ft), and drop his morningstar (free) and if it was not a withdraw action, draw his crossbow (move) effectivly making this a double move round.

MandibleBones
2007-06-14, 06:55 PM
Cecil

"Soveriegns and Six, Azmirith, I absolutely forbid you to die," Cecil barks. "That's an order!"

Bigmac
2007-06-14, 07:38 PM
Azmirith disappears from sight to the amazement of all. Soft footfalls lead away from the animal as another member of the groups retreats from the animal as well. Cecil takes a short step back and calls forth energy arcane. A spray of foul smelling liquid springs form his hands and lands on the bear, singeing it's hide and burning away it's flesh where ever the liquid touches.

Wrench stops his advance on the farmer as he draws forth one of the many scrolls he carries. As the man continues to maintain whatever spell he is focusing on Wrench begins to read the arcane words on the parchment. For some reason, now that his associates are in danger, it is more difficult to concentrate on bringing forth the arcane energy stored within the scroll. He feels the magic slipping away and redoubles his focus in order to produce the projectile of force that he sends towards the man. The man stumbles as the missile strikes him in his chest. He extends his hands to keep from falling and maintains his balance, but Wrench can tell that his effort was not in vain. The man has clearly lost whatever spell he was focusing on. He yells out, "Some other time you imperial dogs!" He then starts to run away from Wrench into the surrounding farmland.

The Bear screams in rage as it has lost it's prey and felt it's skin melt away all at once. It turns towards the nearest victim who happens to be holding a double scimitar drenched in it's blood. The bear strikes a frightful figure as it raises up to its full height before descending down on top of Nadeem. The elf tries valiantly to ward of the attack with wide slashes using both blades but to no avail. The bear lands on top of the elf with a sickening thud. The elf lets out a scream as his rib bones collapse underneath the weight of the massive creature. As the creature moves forward to keep the elf pinned, Cecil sees an opening to attack the distracted bear. He lets his anger power his mighty falchion down and into the left shoulder of the bear. It cuts deep into the joint, severing muscle and tendons alike.

Having secured the animals the group was charged with delivering, Butch runs towards the melee as fast as he can manage, but is still a few feet away when the elf falls. He can see the life slowly fading from the elf's eyes as the beast holds him down.

For Nadeem
You take 10pts of damage from the blow, and are now grappled. You failed your opposed grapple check and so take another 11 points of damage. that leaves you at -9. I'll allow you to spend an action point to auto stabilize if you want to do that.

For Cecil
I went ahead and rolled the AoO for you when I noticed you got one for the bear moving to maintian a grapple. You did 11points of damage

Mappage:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6909/grid3ut5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Edit: Added AoO for Cecil that I noticed when making the map, map is up

Citizen Joe
2007-06-14, 08:15 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch glances to his blade to make sure it is in position and then turns back to the bear. Seeing only blood where Azmirith once stood, he yells out, "By the gods! This fell demon has swallowed Azzie whole." He starts moving in and shouts to Cecil, "Sir! we can still flank it! Find me an opening and I'll cut our friend out of its belly!"


Action: delaying until Cecil 'finds me an opening'
Move: Heading towards C65

Ishikar
2007-06-14, 08:18 PM
Nadeem

((Using an action point to stabilize))

MandibleBones
2007-06-14, 08:50 PM
Cecil

Seeing Butch move to flank the bear, Cecil takes a step back to match him. He waits until Butch is in place, then swings mightily. "Now, Butch! Here's your opening!"

5-foot-step to F-8, hold action until Butch is in place, then attack.
Bear attack part duex (bear is flanked again!) (1d20+8=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1102492)
Damage against bear! (2d4+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1102495)

Asmodeus
2007-06-14, 08:50 PM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 19(vt:11 ff:18)

If the bear is alive on my turn:
Wrench turns and advances on the bear, slamming it with his metal fists. "You soft-skins are really far too fragile for this kind of work." he comments to Cecil seeing the state of Nadeem.

[roll0]
Modifiers: +1 BAB, +1 STR
[roll1]
Modifiers: +1 STR

If the bear is dead, or no longer mauling Nadeem:
Wrench hustles over to the fallen elf and draws a scroll inscribed with a healing spell, ready to administer it. "You soft-skins are really far too fragile for this kind of work." he comments to the fallen elf, regardless of the fact that the elf is unconscious and can't reply.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-14, 09:27 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch steps into the swing hard bringing the scythe upwards at the bear. "FOR PONY!!" he shouts.


Doh! I was hoping for an Aid Another for a further +2 to my attack. Cross your fingers, I expect an action point will be needed.

Move action: Move to C5 flanking bear (no dex bonus to AC due to grappling) from Cecil
Standard Action: Power Attack (2): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Critical confirmation if needed [roll2]
Extra damage if applicable [roll3]



EDIT:
Using 1 action point to Improve Power attack, doubling bonus for an extra 4 points more damage... total 16 damage

KCiemir
2007-06-15, 06:05 PM
Azmirith reappears, with crossbow drawn.

If Bear is still Alive:
Looking down to see Nadeem crushed by the bear, Azmirith pulls a bolt and loads his light crossbow, then firing it into the flank of the bear.
[roll0]
[roll1]


EDIT, forgot shooting into MElee, that should be 10
If Not, he will pick up his weapons and go to aid his fallen comrade.

Bigmac
2007-06-16, 07:35 AM
Azmirith can barely hold the crossbow steady. His muscles burn as they try to hold the weight in front of him without shutting down from the pain. He notches a bolt into the firing mechanism and somehow finds the strength to pull the trigger. The bolt flies a few feet before striking the dirt near the bear.

Cecil hear's Butch's words and gives the young farmer a nod. It was a daring plan, for if it failed the bear would surly turn it's mighty fury on Cecil next. Yet the veteran would take that risk, stepping in front of the bear and pausing ever so slightly for Butch to make his way behind it. As the bear shifts his attention to Cecil he is reluctant to let the elf up, not sure if it would run away like the last human. That mistake costs the animal as Cecil cries out, "Now, Butch! Here's your opening!" He lowers his falchion into the gash he already created on the bears' left shoulder. The blade finds its mark, cleaving into the bone and ripping the limb from it's socket.

Butch, seeing his commander strike true follows with a strange cry of "FOR PONY" as he plunges the end of his scythe into the bears back putting the muscles trained on the farm to good use. The scythe catches on something and makes the follow through difficult. Butch places a foot on the back of the bear to brace himself as he pulls the scythe free, severing the bear's spinal column in the process. The animal falls over to its left and begins twitching for a few moments before lying still in a pool of blood that is rapidly forming beneath it.

Wrench rushes over the the fallen elf and makes the comment, "You soft-skins are really far too fragile for this kind of work." as he pulls out another of his many scrolls and prepares to use it. The House Vadalis trainer has finished tying the horses up and is running over to the group. When he gets there, he stands in amazement at the scene before him and simply sits on the ground near his fallen housemate trying to take it all in.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 08:15 AM
Butch slipped the end of his scythe under the bear and pries the weight off of Nadeem. His muscles strained to hold the bear clear, "Sir! This thing is very heavy! We'll need to roll it over so I can cut..." Just then he sees Azmirith. "Oh..." His grip slipped a bit in confusion but then redoubled his efforts. "Is Nadeem OK, Sir?"

MandibleBones
2007-06-16, 10:18 AM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=16573)

The old soldier breaths a sigh of relief as the bear falls. After a moment, he turns to where Nadeem lies and Azimuth sits wounded. "Can you patch them up, Wrench?" he asks, not unkindly. It's a rhetorical question, though, as Cecil, with faith in Wrench's medical skills, walks over to the bear. Almost like a gentle father, he reaches his arm down and closes the beast's eyes. "Well fought, good servent," he murmers. "Would that you could have served us longer instead of succumbing to madness." He steps back. "May you find peace."

Stepping back from the dead animal, Cecil looks around to take stock of the situation.

Asmodeus
2007-06-16, 10:31 AM
Wrench

"Well, I'll do what I can. Although working with people is not the same as working with metal..."

With that, he unfurls the scroll and begins his attempt to activate its power.

[roll0] DC 21

[roll1]

Edit: Wrench, failing to activate the scroll, instead tucks it away, draws out a potion and pours it down Nadeem's throat.

{OOC: I'm guessing its ok to use the same cure check that didn't get used above. Nadeem is healed for 7 damage.}

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 10:57 AM
Butch takes a good look at the bear's muzzle and then stands up next to Cecil. "It's a demon, right? Because we needed cold iron to kill it." Butch raises a quisical eyebrow and pokes the bear's corpse repeatedly to make sure its dead.

MandibleBones
2007-06-16, 11:00 AM
Cecil

The old man looks at Butch oddly. "No, Butch," he says. "Not a demon. Just a powerful animal driven mad by dark magic." He turns to walk back towards his injured men. "Now stop poking it before you disturb its eternal slumber." He looks over his shoulder. "After all, it was hard enough killing it the first time."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 11:12 AM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch eyes the bear warily. "Ain't never seen nothing like that around these parts, Sir." He rubs his chin thinking hard. "Well... maybe those bears on the north side of Silver Lake... But they're 'bout half that size... and they ain't so nasty. Lessen you provoke them or iffen they be desperate or sick or something. I dunno sir. I ain't never heard of one of them bears swimming all the way over the lake... and the local bears is black. I mean how'd it get here?"

Asmodeus
2007-06-16, 11:19 AM
I mean how'd it get here?

Wrench

After pouring the potion down Nadeem's throad, Wrench replies to Butch by saying "Oh! I know how it got here! The guy who was riding on it rode it here!

(To Cecil)Sir, I've patched Nadeem up as much as I can for the moment. He'll be ok with some rest.

Also, Sir, what is an 'Imperial Dog'? Is that anything like a Golden Retriever?"

{OOC: I love playing low WIS chars. hehe}

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 11:27 AM
Butch

"Guy rode in on it?" Butch looked puzzled. "Oh wait, I get it. Its a riddle right?" Butch ponders for a moment and then sighs. "No, I don't get it. That doesn't make sense. What guy?"

Asmodeus
2007-06-16, 11:35 AM
Wrench

"No, Mr. Butch. No riddle. Although I do like those. Did you ever hear the one about the ... uh... well I forget.

But anyways, the bear had a rider."

Wrench points to the saddle the bear has on, and the first guy who the bear mauled to death. "That was the rider."

{OOC: I'm assuming you did see the part in the original post where the bear-rider was riding with us, yes?}

MandibleBones
2007-06-16, 11:43 AM
Cecil

Cecil nods. "Perhaps we had best devote the rest of the day to resting," he said. "I'd rather lose half a day's travel than lose more people." He turns to Butch. "The bear came with us, remember? For our 'protection'," he says ruefully. He looks at Wrench. "And I don't know where he came up with 'imperial dogs,' Wrench. Maybe he thinks we're working for King Boronal."

"Alright, let's make camp here this afternoon and evening," he says. "We'll give the rider a proper burial, and provide the bear with a funeral pyre, lest he rise during the night." He turns to the injured. "Azi, Nadeem, your job is to rest and recover - we move out tomorrow morning, so I need you in fighting form, or as close as you are able." He sighs. "The rest of you, when nightfall comes, we'll set watches. Butch, you and I can take first watch. Wrench, you and the our friend from Vadalis take second. Make sure the horses are secure and keep the fire burning."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 11:51 AM
Butch

"Buh... wha? That thing was with us the whole time?" Butch rubs his eyes. "I gotta get more sleep. I mean yea, it was a bit furry for a horse, I guess..." He ponders for a bit more. "So then it wasn't sick?"

MandibleBones
2007-06-16, 11:59 AM
Cecil

"Depends on your definition of sick. Wrench, what was that guy doing over there? Casting a spell on our ursine companion, no doubt?"

Asmodeus
2007-06-16, 11:59 AM
Wrench

"I never did understand this 'sleeping' thing you do.

But someone should try to tend the wounds of those resting.

He was definitely doing something magical. I wasn't able to tell what it was though."

Bigmac
2007-06-16, 12:12 PM
The potion begins to close some of the wounds on Nadeem, but he is still badly hurt and unresponsive. The remaining House Vadalis servant traveling with you finally snaps out of his daze when he hears you talking about the rider. He says softly, "His name was Kaden. He was a good man." He stands up and begins to see tend to getting the man in a respectful state. "I've never once in all my years seen a properly trained magebread animal turn on it's rider. I just don't understand. Lord ir’Tajar will be sad to learn that the bear he requested had to be put down. But better here than on the front lines I suppose. And thanks to your quick thinking the horses are safe at least."

{OOC: feel free to roll knowledge local or knowledge history for info on imperial dogs. Also, it's fine to use the same roll for the potion. }

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 12:12 PM
Butch

"So then its safe to eat?" Butch asked dryly. "I mean I don't want to sound gruesome, but that's a big waste of good meat there. And we don't know how long we'll be out here."

MandibleBones
2007-06-16, 12:19 PM
Cecil

"May Kaden rest in peace as well. I regret that I have not asked your name - and I would learn it, if you would give it."

Knowledge (Local) for 'Imperial Dogs' (1d20+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1105228)
Knowledge (History) for Imperial Dogs (1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1105229)

Bigmac
2007-06-16, 12:44 PM
The man extends his hand and gives a firm handshake to Cecil. "The name's Gustev. I had expected this to be a fairly boring trip to tell the truth. First time I ever had problems riding to Orcbone."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 01:25 PM
Butch

Butch shrugs, uncertain what to do, but then goes back to his duty. A quick trip to the horses and he returns with his shovel and blanket rolled into a tight bundle.

"I aint sure what the rites are in your family, Mr. Gustev. But, I do give you my regrets. I can dig a grave... maybe over near them trees there, but you might want to take his body back to town for a proper funeral. Either way, we need to bundle him up tight. You can use my blanket if you like. By morning the horses ain't gonna be liking the smell of death, so we need to make some plans."

Butch then looks again at the bear. "That's an awful large pyre we're gonna need for that thing. Maybe someone could help look for some wood while I'm digging. Actually, someone should scout the area. Maybe there's a farmhouse nearby... Maybe get some help. Or at the very least be able to get rid of this thing."

Butch then hands his blanket to Gustev and looks to both Gustev and Cecil for a final decision about the grave.

While they decide, Butch offhandedly comments to Wrench, "You know, around these parts, we got three troublemakers. We gots our locals, you know, bad apple in every barrel. We got Droamites, what don't use no fancy words like 'Imperial'. And then there be the Reachers from up north, past the lakes. Most of em are kinda... wild? I guess that's the most polite term. But their religious types, they might be using 'Imperial'. Just a blind guess mind you."

MandibleBones
2007-06-17, 10:09 AM
Cecil

Cecil nods. "We've got time before nightfall. Take someone with you, though - I don't want anyone caught out alone."

Asmodeus
2007-06-17, 10:18 AM
Cecil

Cecil nods. "We've got time before nightfall. Take someone with you, though - I don't want anyone caught out alone."

Wrench

Wrench pipes up. "I'll go, Sir. I was not damaged in the battle."

Wrench will go and help Butch gather wood. He doesn't mind the work, and he doesn't get tired. He volunteers mostly so he will have something to keep his mind on.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-17, 10:48 AM
Butch

Butch leaves his shovel behind and leads Wrench over to the clump of trees where the horses are tied up. Noticing some twigs around the tree, he speaks up, "I don't reckon that will be enough. We'll be needing 'bout a cord, cord and a half to make a proper pyre. I'm gonna mount up so I can get a better view. I figure we'll head out 'bout four hunnerd yards then circle, keepin' these trees in sight. Iffin' we don't find no buildings, we'll start gatherin' what we can." Butch slides his scythe into a loop on his saddle and hoists himself up. He then readies his bow with an arrow and heads out slowly with Wrench beside him.

KCiemir
2007-06-17, 04:12 PM
Azmirith

Once Butch and Wrench are gone, and everyone seems to be working, Azmirith goes to the House Valdis representitive, and asks
"Pardon me, friend, I know little of the dealings of house Valdis. If you woulndt mind, could you explain to me magebred animals, and what Lord ir'Tajar wants with them?"

Bigmac
2007-06-17, 08:02 PM
Butch and Wrench

You set out in search of firewood. There are few trees in the area, but it makes keeping the ones by the rest of the group in sight fairly easy. Shrubs and underbrush are the most viable options for tender and flammable objects that are nearby.

Azmirith, Cecil, Nadeem

Gustov leans back and begins to relax as he talks about a familiar subject, "Magebread animals are the trade of my house. We create animals that are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, and better trained through the proper application of magic and breading. We mostly focus on dogs or horses, but Lord ir'Tajar likes to equip some of his fancier woodland troops with magebred bears or even ghost tigers. It helps to even the scales when dealing with the horrors of Drooam. As you can see, the bears are truly fearsome in battle, especially with a capable rider on top of them."

Asmodeus
2007-06-17, 08:54 PM
{OOC: You forgot to reply to the knowledge checks about 'imperial dogs'.}

Wrench

Wrench will gather whatever he can find and return with it to camp. If it seems more is needed, he'll make extra trips.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-17, 09:21 PM
Butch

Butch gathers what he can but clearly gets more and more frustrated as he searches. Eventually he sighs deeply and says, "We better head back, Wrench. The just ain't nuff out here for that pyre. I suspect the locals already gathered the deadwood from the winter for their own supplies. The rest of this is still too green from the spring growth to make good firewood."

With a bundle of twigs over his shoulder, Butch leads the horse and Wrench back to camp. Dropping his load and tying the horse back up, he breaks the news to Cecil.


"Sir, I'm afraid I got some bad news. Taint nuff firewood for a pyre for something that big. I reckon the locals already gathered the deadwood for their own fires. I didn't see no house neither. Now here's the bad part. That corpse is gonna draw wolves tonight for sure, and we don't want to be here when they get here. I suggest we make a couple litters and drag Nadeem and Kadem out of the range of the smell."

Bigmac
2007-06-18, 05:54 PM
The group makes camp for the night, making sure to keep the dead away from the others. Gustov tends to Nadeem's wounds, dresses them up and changes them every so often as is necessary. He comments that it is amazing that the elf is still alive at all, though the magic from the warforged certainly helped. Those who keep watch during the night notice a few criters taking advantge of the large corpse, but nothing comes near the small fire in the center of camp. During the last watch of the night, as Cecil and Wrench are keeping watch waiting for signs of sunrise, Cecil is making his rounds when he spots a humanoid figure crawling towards the tree where the horses are tied up.

MandibleBones
2007-06-18, 06:14 PM
Cecil (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=16573)

"Ignis!" Cecil shouts, pointing at the figure. A brilliant burst of light appears in front of it. "Arise, men! A horse-thief comes!"

OOC: Casting flare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flare.htm). Fort save, DC 12 or be dazzled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazzled).

Bigmac
2007-06-18, 07:12 PM
With a single word Cecil causes a blinding light to appear near the trees. A startled exclamation of surprise can be heard from the figure on the ground. Wrench turns to see what is going on and can tell there is something on the ground near the horses. Azmirith hears Cecil's cry and wakes from his slumber, as does Nadeem. He opens his eyes to see his chest heavily bandaged and a throbbing like a million horses running in his head. He steadies himself as he gets his bearings. Butch is still fast asleep, tired from his previous watch and oblivious to the world around him.

Mappage:
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2878/campco6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

(EDIT: Legend.)
Colors correspond to player speech. Light green is Wrench. Black dot in camp is the fire. Brown Circles are trees, maroon ovals are horses. Light bule is intruder. Cecil and wrench have either torches or magical lights they used during their watch, player choice. It is only partiall cloudy tonight and the moon is waxing but not yet full so shadowy vision out to 20ft for humans is possible without light source.

{Roll Initiative and post either a standard or move action. Cecil has already gone this surprise round, but everyone else can go. Butch needs to roll a DC 5 listen check with a -10 modifier for sleeping to wake up on his own. If someone yells at him to wake him up it lowers the DC to 3. If someone takes a standard action when next to him to wake him he wakes up automatically. It has been 8 hours since the battle, so Nadeem is at 2HP from healing received by Gustov. Azmirith is at 6hp from his rest.}

Ishikar
2007-06-18, 07:57 PM
Nadeem

Standing near the fire barely able to make out figures in the distance with his slightly blurred vision he turns to before walking over and waking Butch.

An enemy comes. Action is needed now if we are to protect our charges.

Asmodeus
2007-06-18, 08:06 PM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 19 (vt 11, ff 18)

[roll0]

Wrench had spend the past few hours tinkering around with the various equipment he carried with him. He checked many times over the condition of his gear, as well as its placement and readiness for use. It wasn't that he did this out of a military habit so much as it was a relaxing exercise for him. Such minor tasks allowed him time to think about his infusions and how best to use them to aid himself and his companions, as well as recover the energy necessary to use them.

Wrench often pondered about ways to improve his own abilities during these times.

It was unfortunate that the rest had to come to and end because of interlopers such as these. But Wrench felt renewed and ready to face them. He immediately starts heading towards the flare Cecil sent up. Suddenly, he gets an idea, and begins casting an infusion upon himself. Within moments, his own hands are wreathed in flame, providing a source of light like two torches.

{OOC: Using an Action Point to cast this particular infusion as a Standard action. Casting Personal Natural Weapon Augmentation(Flaming). Makes my natural Slam attack act as if it has the Flaming magical ability.

I assume the 'something on the ground' you were referring to was the person crawling, and not a seperate object. Where is Gustav?}

MandibleBones
2007-06-18, 08:35 PM
Cecil
(http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=16573)
HP: 20
AC: 15 (t11, ff14)

Initiative (HORSE THIEF! BWAHA!) (1d20+1=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1110016)

Citizen Joe
2007-06-18, 09:16 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch grumbles as Nadeem wakes him. He sits up trying to focus on the dark shapes and blurry lights. "Find me a target," he says quietly to Nadeem with a touch of menace. Then he reaches for his bow...


This round spent waking up.
Note: Not wearing armour. Also, all his gear is in a pile next to him since you don't keep horses saddled overnight.

KCiemir
2007-06-19, 06:30 PM
Azmirith, 6HP

As he was still lying down, Azmirith is able to take no action other than to stand, grunting heavily as the slashes across his chest sear with pain. He mutters:"By the host, I need more Sleep"

Bigmac
2007-06-20, 10:21 AM
Wrench causes his hands to burst into flame that make the shadows to come alive as they move about in response to the dancing fire. Amirith makes his way to his feet despite the protests of his wounds. Nadeem, in a similarly wounded state, moves quickly to wake up his human compatriot who seems to be oblivious to the world around him until roused by the elf. Butch shakes off his slumber as he begins to get his wits about him. Reaching for his bow he takes a quick look around the camp.

Cecil's attention on the human in front of him is redirected by the sound of hushed movement to his left. An arrow lodges itself in his left arm as another goes whizzing just over his head. It seems the intruder was not alone.

Mappage:
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5957/campfightmf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Legand: same as before.
Init Order:
BG2
BG3
Cecil
BG1
Butch
Wrench
Nadeem
Azmirith

For Cecil
you take 4 pts of damage

Asmodeus
2007-06-20, 12:22 PM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 19 (vt 11, ff 18)

Wrench will head towards the enemy nearest to the horses.

(Double-Move to M-9)

Citizen Joe
2007-06-20, 12:45 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

With a smooth action, Butch rolls up onto his feet, arrow drawn as he scans the situation. Seeing a shadowy form to the left he lets the arrow fly. As it goes, he shouts out, "Don't let them close, I won't be able to use my bow!"


Move Action: Stand
Free Action: Ready bow (normally move, free when combined with a move action if BAB +1 or better)
Free Action: Ready arrow
Standard Action: Attack target #2 at K15 (range 70 feet, Short range for composite longbow) (note Rollv will show actual die roll then final result)
[roll0]
[roll1]
Possible miss due to concealment (<=20%)
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

MandibleBones
2007-06-20, 12:45 PM
Cecil (16/20)

Cursing, Cecil drops to one knee for better cover, and puts the torch between himself and the archers for better concealment. With his free hand, he traces an intricate pattern into the air and whispers words of darkness towards the horse thief.

With the spell cast, he draws his short sword and prepares for battle.

Cause Fear at the horse thief (standard action) and draws sword (move action). If the rest of the action described counts as a move rather than a 5-foot-step or free action, forget the sword - I'll draw it next time or fight with the torch).

Bigmac
2007-06-20, 01:07 PM
Ducking to aviod more arrows, Cecil again calls forth arcane power to his aid. He traces a pattern in the air and utters the words that will bring terror unknown to his enemy and cause him to flee for his life. Unfortunatly, the man does not flee, but instead advances into the horses with sword drawn. He moves towards a dense consentration of animals and brings his weapon down on the teather slicing it in half.

Butch makes out a few shadowy shapes in the light cast by Cecil's torch. Grabbing a bow and swiflty notching an arrow he lets his arrow fly at the nearest shape, but he is unable to tell if the arrow found it's mark or not. Regardless, he relays his concerns about melee to his companions.

Wrench has no such concerns about up close confrontation. He moves with purpose towards the attackers, his flaming fists lighting the way as he lumbers forward. As he passes near the horses, one of them becomes spooked by the flames and begins to tug on it's teather, trying to get away.

{OOC: BG1 moves to O5, cuts loose horse in P5-Q5. The horse in N6-N7 is spooked by Wrench's flames. Will update map after Azmirith and Nadeem take their actions.}

Ishikar
2007-06-20, 01:20 PM
Nadeem

Moving towards the horse thieves Nadeem draws his bow and nocks an arrow, firing it as soon as he approaches.

Moving from D-7 to I-9. Firing my bow at BG2 afterwards.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

If needed:
Crit confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Citizen Joe
2007-06-20, 01:20 PM
I gotta head out to work so here's Butch's Action for next round

Butch lets loose a volley of arrows into the shadows...


[roll0]
Action: Full Attack Target #2
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

Citizen Joe
2007-06-20, 01:26 PM
Butch

...and then again...

Miss chance on first arrow <=20 [roll0]
Spend action point to get extra attack in a full attack
[roll1]
[roll2]
Miss chance on second arrow <=20 [roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

KCiemir
2007-06-20, 05:43 PM
Azmirith, still 6hp

Azmirith moves around the fire, trying to make out the threat. He tries to stay as low-profil as possible, so as not to aggrivate his stil tender wounds. When he reaches his postition, he withdraws his crossbow.


Move in straigt line to C11
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (there may be a circumstance bounus to this, as it is dark, your choice)

Bigmac
2007-06-21, 09:37 AM
Azmirith nimbly avoids the fire as he moves to the edge of it's light. Within the comforting confines of the shadows the ninja blends in with his surroundings as he readies his weapon for the right moment to strike.

More arrows fly from the attackers. One arrow flies true, managing to find a small gap in between the adamantie plates of the warforged. The arrow would have normally pierced the lungs of a human, but it mattered little to a creature made of wood and metal. Two more arrows miss Cecil's crouching frame and fly harmlessly overhead. After firing his volley, one of the men quickly retreats back into the shadows.

Mappage:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4425/campfightqb9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The man was last seen by your light in square with the question mark.

For Wrench
You take 6pts of damage. Your fortification negated the critical hit scored on you.

Asmodeus
2007-06-21, 09:48 AM
Wrench
HP: 13/13
AC: 19 (vt 11, ff 18)

Wrench moves to O-6 and attacks Enemy(1)

{OOC: You have the rolls copied to the OOC thread, Mr. DM.
And where is the Vadalis guy?}

MandibleBones
2007-06-21, 10:37 AM
Cecil

Wordlessly, Cecil launches himself from a crouch and runs towards the visible bowman, attempting to tackle him and keep him from continuing to fire.

Move to C15 and initiate grapple with enemy 2. Melee touch to grab (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114677), Grapple check (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114687). Spending two action points (one each to add 1d6 to each roll): Action points (1d6=3, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114699)

Final rolls:
Grab: 15
Grapple: 14

Asmodeus
2007-06-21, 11:21 AM
Cecil

Wordlessly, Cecil launches himself from a crouch and runs towards the visible bowman, attempting to tackle him and keep him from continuing to fire.

Move to C15 and initiate grapple with enemy 2. Melee touch to grab (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114677), Grapple check (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114687). Spending two action points (one each to add 1d6 to each roll): Action points (1d6=3, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114699)

Final rolls:
Grab: 15
Grapple: 14

{OOC: Can only spend 1 action point per round.}

Bigmac
2007-06-21, 11:24 AM
{pick which one to apply the roll to and I'll have he results up shortly.}

MandibleBones
2007-06-21, 11:26 AM
{I'll apply it to the grab roll - second one's not much good if I can't grab him in the first place, is it?}

Bigmac
2007-06-21, 11:45 AM
Cecil charges after the archer that he can still see. He rushes to close the distance as fast as possible before he can fire another arrow. Cecil wraps his arms around the man's torso and manages to hold on despite the best efforts of the victim to break free. Cecil maneuvers around behind the man using his right hand to coearce an arm behind the archer's back and begins to press upward applying pressure to the joints. Cecil's left arm encircles the man's throat and as he tightens his mucles it begins to restrict blood flow to the man's brain.

The horse thief takes a short step and this time manages to cut the reigns to two animals. The horse that was already panicked by Wrench's flames begins to run away from them, and the other two horses begin to follow suit.

Butch, about to fire on the man, decides that it would be better to find a different target. He scans the area and manages to make out a shadowy shape he hopes is the fleeing archer. He fires two arrows one right after the other in the hopes that one of them would find their mark. It's hard to tell, but he feels like he saw the shape slump to the ground. He thinks.

Wrench decides that it is time to put a stop to the horse theif and moves to engage him. As Wrench approaces the horse theif turns and faces the construct with a short blade drawn and conviction on his face. He is about to say something but it is cut short as the warforged connects with his looping swing right between the neck and collorbone. A lound crunch is followed by screams as the man's face and hair catch on fire. Even though the flames don't last long, the man is on the ground and doesn't move after they go out.

{OOC Butch I changed your action, I hope you don't mind. Even though 2 of the 3 guys are dead, and the other one grappled, I want to finish up this round and then we can exit combat. Cecil needs to roll unarmed damage for the succesful grapple (non-lethal of course) and the horses are fleeing to the SE if the top of the map is N.}

MandibleBones
2007-06-21, 12:35 PM
Cecil

"When you lot have a chance, I'm sure we can find a few questions for this one, no?"

Non-lethal damage (1d3=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1114865)

KCiemir
2007-06-21, 05:32 PM
Azmirith

THe slowest of the lot, Azmirith is glad to see the treat wraped up. without stepping from the shadow, he tries to determine if the other theives are dead.

[roll0]

Citizen Joe
2007-06-21, 05:40 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch slings his bow and quiver over his shoulders as he moves quickly to the horses. He grumbles out some inaudible curses as he moves.

"I'll gather the horses, Sir."


Double move (60') from C7 to L7 next to the 'fat' horse, presumably the biggest one since Butch is kinda heavy.
Free Action: Put away bow in a move action
Free Action: Put away quiver in a move action

Asmodeus
2007-06-21, 07:13 PM
Wrench

Wrench speaks a command word and douses the flames from his fist to avoid spooking the horses any further.

"Where is Gustov?"

Ishikar
2007-06-21, 07:19 PM
Nadeem

There is still work to be done. One of our foes seems to have fled. We should try to track him down to see where he's going or who hired him.

Track Check: [roll0] ((adding favored enemy bonus beause they're human))

MandibleBones
2007-06-21, 07:46 PM
Cecil

"Uh, guys, a little help here? I can only hold him so long..."

Asmodeus
2007-06-21, 08:10 PM
Wrench

Wrench will come over and use his slam attack to coup-de-grace, with non-lethal damage, to knock the prisoner unconscious.

He will then draw a silken rope out of his pack and hand it to Cecil. "Here you are sir. You can use this to tie him up.

And where in the Demon Wastes is Gustov?"

{OOC: Mr. DM, when you said I took damage, did you factor in my Damage Reduction, or is that up to me to do?}

MandibleBones
2007-06-21, 10:25 PM
Cecil

Cecil ties the man up as best he can. He's not the best at knotwork, but with 50' of rope, it's not too hard to make someone immobile. "I've no idea - but I'm truly hoping he went chasing after the horses - and that he's not been met in the dark by the one that got away. How many did we lose?"

Citizen Joe
2007-06-21, 11:04 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch releases the large horse and swings up onto its bare back. With a subtle prodding, he guides the horse around and takes off at a gallop towards the loose horses.

As he gets close, he eases around in front of each horse coaxing it back under his control.


Handle Animal Checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Citizen Joe
2007-06-21, 11:19 PM
Butch returns with two horses.

"There's still one out there. Horses are herd animal, though. It'll come back once it realizes it is alone out there. Just keep the fire away from the horses or it'll get spooked again."

Dismounting, he looks around then asks, "Are they dead? Or dying?"

Bigmac
2007-06-22, 09:37 AM
The camp is starting to calm down as the first rays of sunlight are cresting over the horizon. Even as Cecil ties up the unconscious man, Butch is out rounding up the horses. Azmirith's and Nadeem's wounds are still sore, but they look like they will be ok to ride today. The same can't be said for the other two invaders. The one near the horses lies on the ground with severe fire damage to his face, eyes melted out of their sockets surrounded by charred skin. It was only a matter of time, and probably a blessing that he was left to die. The other man succumbed to his wounds shortly after receiving an arrow to the lower abdomen. He tried to crawl to safety, but didn't make it far, seeing as how the large arrow was shot with such force as to drive it completely through his body.

Gustov, as Wrench has noted, is no where to be found. Wrench remembers the he was up for the first watch, but can't seem to recall him leaving. Cecil had almost forgotten about him had the warforged not brought it up. After all the excitement with the battle, it's hard to remember if Gustov was there when he woke for the last watch. Whatever the case, it is clear that he is no longer in the camp.

Butch is helping to get the saddles on all the horses that are going to be ridden today as the other begin to break camp and get their gear ready for another day on the trail. If they travel quickly, the group may still be able to make it to Orcbone just after sunset. As the group is finishing up preparations the last horse meanders back into camp just in time to follow the heard down the dusty trail.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-22, 10:07 AM
Butch takes Cecil aside for a moment as he packs up camp. "Sir, something has been bothering me ever since yesterday." He starts, pondering his words. "You saw how on our way out here there were farmers and carts and people milling about doing their business... homes and farms and such... Well, when I was trying to find firewood yesterday I must've scoped out near a mile of area and there weren't nothin' out here. No farmers, no house, no carts... just these fields..." Butch paused for a moment and then continued on a slightly different line of thought. "You know, sir, they probably send couriers to Orcbone at least once a week... plus merchant traffic. There really ought be a waystation or such at reasonable spots on that route. I reckon it would've been safer to stop there rather than out here in the middle of nowheres." Butch searches Cecil's face for an expression and then continues. "And then there was that one guy Wrench saw. The lone farmer... out in the middle of nowhere... no house nearby..."

Butch sighs then leans over Cecil's shoulder and whispers, "We been set up, sir. This was an ambush from the start and them horse thieves needed an inside man. I don't even know for sure that this lord at the other end really ordered these animals."

Then Butch speaks up again, "I hate to say it sir, but we should head back to Shavalant. We lost two men, one of the animals, two more men are badly injured. We're down on supplies, plus the thieves need to be reported to the sheriff. And we'd be better off burying the dead in hallowed ground."

MandibleBones
2007-06-22, 01:48 PM
Cecil

Cecil shakes his head grimly, worry etched into every line in his face. "I admit that the reports of bandits on this road weren't as descriptive as they should have been, and I agree that we may have been sold out," he says, "But I don't know why. I want to find out before we go anywhere."

"Besides," he adds. "This was more about fear than any gain from stealing the horses. They don't want us to go on." He snorts. "Can you imagine what would happen if an Orien caravan turned back after a few bandits, even if we both know it to be more than that? It would be exactly what these terrorists - for that is what they are, not bandits - want. We'll press on, and bury our dead when we get to Orcbone... we should consult the lord there about this. What I want most of all is more information."

Asmodeus
2007-06-22, 02:42 PM
Wrench

Wrench, not particularly worried about terrists or whatever they are (they looked like normal bandits to him) got his scrolls of healing out again and gave it another try, hoping to get Nadeem back into better shape.

[roll0] DC: 21
Modifiers: Should actually be +10. Forgot Artificer Bonus.
[roll1]

Sadly, the scroll fails, and Nadeem is given another potion instead.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-22, 02:48 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

Butch is clearly not pleased, he can't seem to hide his expressions at all, but he nods to Cecil. "Very well, sir. But I insist we take the following precautions. First, we need to travel light. That means spreading out our load amongst all the horses. We have 4 bodies to bring with us, in addition to our gear. I'm certain that will slow us down. That brings me to stipulation number two... First inn, waystation or friendly barn we see, we're spending the night. None of us are in the best condition to be travelling and we'll likely kill the horses if we try to make the whole run. We need a defensible location though. Third, we don't stop for a break unless we see friendly faces. Four, if we don't find no friendly faces, someone patrols constantly before and during the break. Finally, first chance we get, we send a runner back to Shavalant to let the Sheriff know about the bandits. Right now, the vultures can guide the posse to the right area, but if we give the bandits more than a day, they'll slip away."

That being said, Butch goes over to the corpses, grabs each with his meaty fists and drags them into a clear area. There he searches the bodies for identification papers and other belongings.

MandibleBones
2007-06-22, 02:53 PM
Cecil

"Agreed, to all except the runner. The sheriff already knows there are bandits, and I'm against sending ANYONE alone into the woods with them out there. We'll let him know when we get back."

Asmodeus
2007-06-22, 03:02 PM
Wrench

Wrench is going to use an infusion on himself to mend his own damage.

[roll0]
Modifiers: +2 Caster Level, +1 Racial Sub. bonus

He will then take stock of who else is injured and how badly.

MandibleBones
2007-06-22, 03:12 PM
Cecil

Cecil absentmindedly picks at the arrow sticking out of his arm. "Don't mind me - heal the others," he says.

Asmodeus
2007-06-22, 03:26 PM
Cecil

Cecil absentmindedly picks at the arrow sticking out of his arm. "Don't mind me - heal the others," he says.

Wrench

Wrench, completely missing any sense of sarcasm, ignores Cecil's wound and heads over to see how the rest of the group is doing.

[roll0]
Modifiers: -2 WIS

Citizen Joe
2007-06-22, 03:27 PM
Butch grumbles as he rifles through the bodies. He looks back and counts eight horses, then counts his companions. He hefts a corpse and eyes the various horses then hefts the other. "Still too heavy," he mutters. Scratching some lines in the ground he nods... "OK, here's the line up. These two thieves get stripped down and bundled up on the big one. I'll ride unarmoured to cut down on the weight on a lighter horse. Nadeem, you'll be staying close with my spare equipment. Our prisoner goes on the lightest horse and we'll put Kaden's corpse on the last one with any spare equipment we can move off our own horses. Wrench and Azmirith are on their own horses, leading the corpse horses. Mr. Cecil will be in charge of leading the prisoner's horse."

With that he starts rearranging the gear and prepping the horses. "Oh and someone ought to leave Gustov a note."

Bigmac
2007-06-22, 04:02 PM
Wrench asks to examine the wounds of Nadeem and Azmirith. As he does so, it becomes painfully obvious that the organic nature of their flesh makes the severity of wounds difficult to gauge. Whithout more knowledge about their organs and vital functions the best you can muster is a guess that their wounds are not life threatening.

KCiemir
2007-06-22, 06:00 PM
Azmirth

Azmirith quickly pulls away as wrench tries to examine his wounds "By the gods, Wrench! What are you trying to do? make it hurt more?" Azmirith yells, uncharacteristicly, as he usualy wispers. He stands, and adresses Butch, whispering loudly"sir, while I may not be natve to these parts, some things hold true anywhere. It would be dificult to implement many of the sugestions you had, with two injured, two dead, and someone needing to tend the horses. I think that, perhaps, a scout would eliminate much of the threat, so the group could procede, and have warning of more attacks, be they magical or mundaine. Right now, I am perhaps not the best choice but as I heal, I would gladly act as the advance guard. That way, we could tend to everything else that needs attention."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-24, 10:15 PM
Butch

Butch inspects Kaden's body, making sure the blanket wrapping his corpse is secure. Satisfied, he starts stripping down the other two corpses. "Alright men, we need shrouds for these two. Blankets first if you got them, otherwise hand over the bedrolls." While he waits, he cuts strips from the bandits' shirts. Placing copper coins on the their eyes, Butch carefully wraps the burnt man's entire head and blindfolds the dead archer.

Ishikar
2007-06-24, 10:26 PM
Nadeem

Calming his horse enough to keep it from bolting Nadeem pulls the straps securing his bedroll and rolls it out.

Here. We should move quickly. He reaches up detaching his Zaelta from his helmet to take in a deep breath.

The scent of blood is strong here, predators and scavengers will arrive soon and we wouldn't want to be here when they arrive. Also my instincts tell me something else is wrong, we're not out of the reach of these people yet.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-24, 11:14 PM
Butch

Butch bundles the two bandits into Nadeem's and his own bedroll, tying them tightly. With a little help, he hefts the two body bags onto the largest horse and secures them. Then he procedes to Kaden's body, loading it onto another horse with the spare equipment. With the horses mostly loaded, he walks over to the bear's corpse. With a twist of his scythe and a boot for leverage, he deftly decapitates the beast. He packs the head in his backpack, then stows it on the horse with Kaden's corpse. Wiping the blade clean, he stores his scythe on Nadeem's horse and then mounts up. With bow in one hand and the reigns in the other, he circles the formation and takes one last look around the camp to make sure nothing was left behind. Returning to the head of the line, Butch speaks up, "Alright, last chance. Anyone need to do anything before we go?"

Asmodeus
2007-06-25, 07:42 AM
Wrench

"Sorry?" Wrench offers as an apology to Azmirth.

Wrench heads over to Cecil and reports "The troops don't appear to have any life-threatening injuries, Sir. However, they do tend to complain when you poke them."

He appears ready to head out with the rest of the team.

MandibleBones
2007-06-25, 07:45 AM
Cecil

Cecil nods sagely. "I suppose they would, wouldn't they?" He looks around - once everyone is ready, he gives the order to move out.

Bigmac
2007-06-25, 10:42 AM
Preparations for the journey finished, the group heads out along the trail, anxious to put distance between themselves and the makeshift camp that they made. After about an hour of travel, the trail begins to thin out and blend into the rolling grassland that dominates the landscape. Nadeem is able to make out the signs of where others have traveled and soon is able to follow the trail even though it is beginning to be covered by the wild grass. Butch begins to realize that the magebread horses really are magnificent animals who seem to be moving at a rapid pace and yet show no signs of tiring despite their loads. The corpses seem to be well tied to the animals, although Butch's backpack seems to be soaking wet and starting to drip.

Wrench's horse does not particularly care for the heavy rider and heated metal against it's legs, but still manages to keep up with the other horses despite the occasional protest. As the sun continues to rise the heat of summer starts to set in, and this time there is no shade in sight. Flies and other tiny bugs begin to circle around the horses, particularly those with dead flesh on their back. About an hour before midday the group rides over a small hill and notices a farmhouse off to the left. It is around a mile or so off the trail, but judging from the animals it seems to be a functioning ranch.

Bigmac
2007-06-25, 10:52 AM
{OOC magebread light warhorses have a base move of 70ft. I doubt you'll be able to keep up.}

Bigmac
2007-06-25, 12:59 PM
{your base speed is 20, run is x3 due to heavy armor so run speed is 60. Even with their effective speed reduced to a base 50 becasue of their load, it's still about the same. And, AFAIK, you can not run for an extended periods of time according to the RAW. I recall seeing this discussion somewhere, because Warforged SHOULD be able to march faster and farther than organic meatbags, but I don't think it reasonable to maintain a RUN speed. Even if you didn't get tired, running is like sprinting, and it would cause damage to your joints ect if kept up for any extended period of time. Perhaps maybe a hustle speed would be more appropreate, but if that's the case your moving at 40 base speed, which is back to less than the horses.}

Asmodeus
2007-06-25, 01:18 PM
{OOCt: Nevermind. You are right. Wrench will ride along with the rest.}

Citizen Joe
2007-06-25, 10:25 PM
Butch (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=54666)

"Sir! There's a farmhouse over there. Looks like a ranch. We should check to see if we can spend the night there. We shouldn't storm in though. Maybe just two of us go up and check with the owner. The rest should stay at the gate so they know we're not aggressive. I don't mind lending a hand on the ranch for the rest of the day if it means a good night sleep and a home cooked meal." Butch scans the group and then suggests to Cecil, "Sir, I suggest you and Wrench go talk to them while the rest of us handle the horses and our prisoner."

MandibleBones
2007-06-26, 06:50 AM
Cecil

Cecil shakes his head. "As good as a home-cooked meal sounds to me," he says, "We've been hired to get these horses to Orcbone today. Bandits they might understand, but delaying half a day for a home-cooked meal would not go well with them. We press on."

Asmodeus
2007-06-26, 08:40 AM
Cecil

Cecil shakes his head. "As good as a home-cooked meal sounds to me," he says, "We've been hired to get these horses to Orcbone today. Bandits they might understand, but delaying half a day for a home-cooked meal would not go well with them. We press on."

Wrench

"Not to be going against orders, Sir, but a rest would give me more time to tend to the wounded.

Of course, I could always do that once we reach Orcbone."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-26, 05:01 PM
Butch

Butch furrows his brow. "Sir! You AGREED that we would stop at the first opportunity. The horses need water and although they don't look it now, by the end of the day when we are pushing to reach shelter they will be their weakest. Our men are still badly injured and we are low on supplies. As it is, we won't get in to Orcbone until after dark, and by then nobody will be doing business. So, if we're there late tonight or lunch time tomorrow business won't be done until tomorrow regardless. That is assuming we DO make it there tonight. We're making good time right now, but that high sun on the waters of Silver Lake will bring rain storms which will grind us to a halt."

MandibleBones
2007-06-26, 05:02 PM
Cecil

"Wrench, if it were up to me, or if the wounded were in such dire straits that we could not risk moving them, I'd stop in a heart beat - and don't ever be afraid to voice a suggestion. I don't know everything, and even if I did I wouldn't think of it all at once."

Ishikar
2007-06-26, 05:10 PM
Nadeem

Leaning a bit in the saddle Nadeem looks up at his companions.

There is something to what Wrench is saying. If we continue to travel and don't arrive before nightfall we risk yet another ambush. Two attacks on the caravan is more than enough reason for being late in our delivery. That and sitting upright is somewhat of a challenge at this point.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-26, 05:30 PM
Butch

A sly grin crawls across Butch's face as he replies to Cecil, "So you're saying that if someone suddenly fell out of the saddle and broke their leg, we could spend the night and have a home cooked meal?"

Butch then repositions his horse just to the side of Nadeem...

Ishikar
2007-06-26, 05:46 PM
Nadeem

Sliding his gaze to Butch Nadeem waits a moment before speaking in a cold tone.

Perhaps, but pushing a wounded ally from their saddle could merit certain, uncomfortable, consequences.

MandibleBones
2007-06-26, 06:26 PM
Cecil

Cecil smiles thinly. "Butch, if you'd like to volunteer to fall out of the saddle, you're more than welcome to. Alright, let's stop and ask these kind folks for water - but then we WILL need to push on. If you're right and we risk another ambush tonight, I'd rather risk an ambush as we're making it into Orcbone than risk one that might bring harm to these folk here."

Asmodeus
2007-06-26, 06:32 PM
Cecil

"Wrench, if it were up to me, or if the wounded were in such dire straits that we could not risk moving them, I'd stop in a heart beat - and don't ever be afraid to voice a suggestion. I don't know everything, and even if I did I wouldn't think of it all at once."

Wrench

In his lack of wisdom, Wrench focuses on only a single thing said by Cecil. "Begging your pardon, Mr. Cecil. I thought it was up to you. If I may ask, who is the commanding officer of our squad, if not yourself?"

As with many things, Wrench seems to be unable to consider things outside of the military structures which he was trained with.

MandibleBones
2007-06-26, 08:43 PM
Cecil

Cecil is patient. "I am, Wrench, but there's people above us we've all got to answer to, even me - and while I might make the day-to-day decisions, I have to justify every decision I make to them."

Asmodeus
2007-06-26, 08:46 PM
Wrench

Wrench looks up to the sky. "Hmm. I always thought you were working for House Orien. Not House Lyrandar. Oh well."

Wrench starts heading towards the farmhouse.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-26, 08:46 PM
Butch

Butch chuckles at Nadeem with a big silly grin. "I was just kidding. I wouldn't sell out a friend for a home cooked meal."

When he heard Cecil's comment about asking for water, Butch had already brought his horse around and launched into a full gallop. Only a small dust cloud lingered by the time Cecil got out the words about pressing on afterwards.

MandibleBones
2007-06-27, 12:14 PM
Cecil

Cecil laughs. "It's not a mission I'm used to either, to be sure - usually the people I'm guiding are, well, people - able to take care of themselves. I'm a guide, not a babysitter."

He looks off into the dust cloud where Butch was. "I hope he's quick about this."

Bigmac
2007-06-27, 12:58 PM
Butch and Wrench (and any others who wish to follow) ride off down the trail towards the ranch. Its a pleasant ride, and the hoses manage to cover the ground quickly. The gate leading to the house proper is open and as the riders near the home, a well built and tanned human man comes out of the house wearing soiled work clothes and a wide hat to keep his face shaded from the sun. "Can I help yall with something? I'm Kuven and your riding on my land."

Asmodeus
2007-06-27, 01:17 PM
Butch and Wrench (and any others who wish to follow) ride off down the trail towards the ranch. Its a pleasant ride, and the hoses manage to cover the ground quickly. The gate leading to the house proper is open and as the riders near the home, a well built and tanned human man comes out of the house wearing soiled work clothes and a wide hat to keep his face shaded from the sun. "Can I help yall with something? I'm Kuven and your riding on my land."

Wrench

Wrench raises a hand in salute to the farmer. "Hail, Kuven. My name is Wrench. My companion is Butch. We were passing through when we saw your farmhouse.

We don't mean to trespass, but we were hoping you could spare some water for our horses."

{OOC: If I hear one protocol droid crack, someone's getting a flaming fist in the face.}

Citizen Joe
2007-06-27, 02:48 PM
Butch

Butch nods are grins widely. It looks like he wants to say something but patiently waits for Kuven's reply.

Bigmac
2007-06-27, 03:07 PM
The man nods as Wrench explains thier request. "Well, there's a trough behind the barn. There should be enough water left in it for your horses. Course, there also a stream about half an hour or so on up the road. You'll pass old Regin's place and then maybe a mile after that look off to yer right and you can see where there's a small creekbed. I know your kind don't eat Wrench, but if your friend's hungry my family just sat down to lunch. Too hot to work at this time a day. Why don't ya come in and take a break. Maybe tell us what brings you around these part."

Asmodeus
2007-06-27, 03:21 PM
The man nods as Wrench explains thier request. "Well, there's a trough behind the barn. There should be enough water left in it for your horses. Course, there also a stream about half an hour or so on up the road. You'll pass old Regin's place and then maybe a mile after that look off to yer right and you can see where there's a small creekbed. I know your kind don't eat Wrench, but if your friend's hungry my family just sat down to lunch. Too hot to work at this time a day. Why don't ya come in and take a break. Maybe tell us what brings you around these part."

Wrench

Wrench looks to Butch, wondering if he's interested in the offer.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-27, 03:56 PM
Butch

Butch's smile spreads almost incontrollably at the thought of lunch. "Sir, you are indeed a godsend. I would very much enjoy a meal with you and your family. And, if you're willing to extend that hospitality a bit further, I could definitely make it worth your while. You see, my boss wants to press on to Orcbone, and I just KNOW its gonna end badly. And your place is very conveniently located between Shavalant and Orcbone... I was wondering if you could maybe discuss with him the possibility of maybe setting up your place as an official waypoint for an Orien trade route? I know, I know... You don't want strangers traipsing across your land like that. But its just that... well... I dunno if you noticed, sir, but after the War, work's been drying up in these parts. I grew up on a farm, much like this a little north of Shavalant. During the War we kept busy keeping the grain flowing and breeding mounts for the war effort. I was still too young to fight, but I did my part as a loyal Brelander. Well, sir, the War's over and now all our soldiers are coming home but we ain't got no jobs for them. The money's dried up and they ain't got but fighting skills. I'm seein' them take up banditry, sir. It's a crying shame to see our boys having to resort to that sort of thing... in fact we had to put down a few of them just yesterday. You know how it feels when you know you gotta put down that mare cuz she broke a leg, or gots a disease. It hurts inside but you knows you gotta do it or the whole farm be in danger."

Butch sighs and then gathers his thoughts. "Sir, I'm asking you... Could you talk to Sir Cecil about extending a Trade Road out past these parts... Maybe talk about making a way station with the local ranchers. It would give our boys good decent work, but Mr. Cecil is a city slicker and he probably don't understand what its like out here. I'd be very willing to do your chores for the rest of the day if that's how long it would take. And if the discussion goes long, so be it. Don't let him hurry you, we can head out in the early morning and still make it to Orcbone in a reasonable time tomorrow."

Butch then dismounts and offer the Kuven his hand. "I'd be very appreciative of your help, sir." Shaking Kuven's hand, Butch winks. "VERY appreciative."


Butch slips a small handful of gold (5 gp) to Kuven as he shakes his hand.

Bigmac
2007-06-27, 04:53 PM
Kuven listens to Butch's speach with a stoic face weatherd by years in the sun. The shadow cast by his hat make it hard to read the man. He shakes his head as he hears stories about bandits and spits in the the dirt. After he shakes Butch's hand he smiles and says, "Well, I'm not too keen on having the mighty houses tell me what to do, but it can't hurt to listen. How many you got with you son? I got enough extra food on the table for one, even your size, but any more and I'll have to get some more ready."

Citizen Joe
2007-06-27, 08:00 PM
Butch

Butch ponders a moment, "We got three other mouths to feed, plus a prisoner... but he can dine on trail mix. We got eight horses total. They're magebred too, real sweet ride. I bet if you sweet talk Mr. Cecil you could convince him to let your ride one. I'll go get the others. Thank you very much, sir."

Butch then brings his horse about and gallops back to the group. "Sir, its all set. We can water the horses and there's an offer for lunch. The owner is named Kuven. I mentioned you were Orien and he'd like to talk to you about a trade road going through here."

Asmodeus
2007-06-27, 08:23 PM
Wrench

"Sir, I believe you are mistaken. I know of several spells that cause significant damage, if you listen to them." Wrench offers, helpfully.

He dismounts and looks around, taking in whatever natural or man-made defenses the farm has available, more out of force of habit than anything else. He also takes not of the general state of repair (or disrepair) of the buildings and other structures.

MandibleBones
2007-06-27, 08:40 PM
Cecil

Cecil meets Butch half-way, having approached the door himself after tying the horses. He very much does not look like a knight, merely an old soldier too long on the road, but his honest smile keeps him friendly-looking. "What am I being sweet-talked into this time, Butch?" he asks.

KCiemir
2007-06-28, 05:36 PM
Azmirith
Silently watching from the shadows, Azmirith speaks at last, a wisper, but loud enough to be heard by all.
Thank you Kuven, for your offer. But if you do not have enough food, simply a warm hearth would suffice. we will make it to Orcbone tommorow, and can refresh our supplies there.

Bigmac
2007-06-29, 11:42 AM
Kuven ignores the comments from the warforged. He has pretty much ignored Wrench since after he spoke. He leaves Wrench to his activities and heads back into the house when Butch leaves. The farm is in pretty good shape, but there are signs of stress on the barn and some fences. Weither that was due to it's closeness to the border during the war, or just wear and tear from animals is hard to determine. The farmhouse itself is a two story building with windows that could be used as elevated firing positions coving the main path down to the house. The land is pretty clear in the surrounding area, so visibility isn't a problem except for an approach that used the barn for cover. If anything, that is the one flaw that Wrench can see.

Butch explains the situation to Cecil as the rest of the group heads back to the farmhouse. Butch sees to caring for the animals as the rest head into the house and the cool shade it provides. As they enter, they can see that the house is well kept and nicely decorated. A few girls are cleaning off the table as a woman is scrubbing the used dishes to clean them for the guests. Kuven greets the group as they enter and extends his hand towards Cecil. "I guess your Cecil. Please come in. I'm Kuven, and this is my wife Ilanna. Please have a seat."

As Nadeem and Azmirith enter, Kuven sees their wounds. "Looks like your friend wasn't kidding about the bandits. Sugar, why don't you go get some fresh bandages and some hot water for these folk here" The eldest girl runs off to the back of the house in search of her father's request. As she does, Kuven starts to prepare some meat, bread, and cheese for each of the group. He sets each plate down at the table while Ilanna brings some water for each person. Kuven then sits down at the head of the table and looks at Cecil. "So, I hear your looking to start a trade route for the mighty house Orien? I'll tell you up front that I'm not too keen on the idea of letting other people trample all over my grounds. I guess what I'm saying is that if I am to even consider doing this it had better be well worth my while. Understand?""

While Kuven is talking, his daughter returns and approaches Azmirith. "Sir, If I may?" She says as she starts to replace his bandages with fresh ones. She then will ask Nedeem the same question before tending to him.

Asmodeus
2007-06-29, 12:31 PM
Wrench

Wrench, left to his own devices, apparently, heads over to the barn to investigate it in more detail. He's curious about the damage, and hopes to determine the cause. Additionally, he'll see what sort of repairs are needed most badly.

[roll0]
Modifiers: +3 Ranks, +2 INT (Actual total should be 15, not 17)

Bigmac
2007-06-29, 12:42 PM
The barn looks like it has one wall that has been partially replaced on the side facing the edge of the ranch. It looks as if a hole was created in the wall and shored up quickly with whatever wood was around. The wall looks functional, but it lacks the structural integrity it should have if it were crafted as a whole unit. Replacing entire the wall would be difficult due to the fact that it is a load bearing wall, so the fact that the repair is somewhat patchwork is understandable.

MandibleBones
2007-06-29, 05:19 PM
Cecil

Cecil shakes the man's hand warmly. "Tell you what, Mr. Kuven. You give me proposal of what you think is fair, and I'll take it to my superiors. You've my word, on my honor, that I won't cheat you - and any man here can witness that if you like. If they don't like your terms, no harm done - if they do, then you're compensated fairly for your trouble and House Orien gains as well. It's entirely up to you - I'd rather my house grew in power through honesty and fair dealings than by cheating anyone."

He looks around. "You have a lovely home, by the way, and a fine family." He's speaking as honestly as he can, more relieved at having an excuse to rest his wounded men than actually concerned with gaining a trade route, but telling the truth nevertheless.

KCiemir
2007-06-29, 06:32 PM
Azmirith
Throughout this time in Kuven's house, Azmirith keeps his traveling cloak on, except when the girl changes his bandages, but even then, he keeps his face covered. As the young girl finishes changing the dressings, he turns, and saysThank you, friend. That will be much better for the road to Orcbone. Then, turning to Kuven, he asks in his usuall whispery voice, that remains audible, Kuven, this is a very nice family, and as you would be having us for food, I feel that it is only proper that I introduce myself. I am Azmirith, of the Goldblood clan. I travel now to aide Cecil. Please, introduce your family.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-29, 08:10 PM
Butch

After tending to the animals, Butch walks the fence line inspecting it and looking for loose posts and rails. As he reaches the gate, he makes sure its secure before returning to the house. "Well Mr. Kuven, you got a nice farm here. The fence is in pretty..." Butch stammers and his mouth hangs agape for a moment. Then he quickly retreats outside and hurries to the barn.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-01, 02:05 PM
Butch

Closing the door to the barn behind him, Butch closes his eyes and breathes deeply several times. As he regains his composure, he paces about in the barn for a bit and then goes to the packs. Digging through the equipment, he pulls out some jerky and nibbles away. Continuing to pace, he eventually keeps himself busy by tending to his weapons and chainmail.

Asmodeus
2007-07-01, 06:39 PM
Wrench

Wrench, disturbed by the closing of the barn from his studies of its structure, heads over to find Butch. "Oh, is it time to leave already?" Wrench asks, assuming that Butch came to find him.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-01, 07:47 PM
Butch

Butch looks up from his gear pulling a bit of jerky from his mouth. "Huh? What? No... We'll be spending the night. Actually, I should find a good spot in the barn. I don't feel comfortable in the house."

He then gets up and peeks outside, "Did anyone follow you?"

Ishikar
2007-07-01, 07:59 PM
Nadeem

Having eaten lightly and had his bandages redone Nadeem exits the house. He makes a quick circuit of the homestead. After picking a low hanging apple from a tree he approaches the barn where he overhears Butch's last question.

Not followed, but someone did happen across your location. I also prefer the outdoors. They seem to be good people but I'm just not comfortable in that sort of environment, it's too different from how I've lived my life to fit in there. The eldest daughter was surprisingly adept with changing the bandages however. They must be used to the hardships of living in this area.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-01, 08:09 PM
Butch

Butch starts to blush at the mention of the eldest daughter. "Yes... outdoors... that's it." He ponders a moment, then continues. "So, Nadeem... You're feeling better? I was just saying that I should find some place in the barn to sleep. I wouldn't want to impose on them."

Asmodeus
2007-07-01, 08:26 PM
Wrench

"Yes, someone did follow me. You! But I thought you humans needed quiet to sleep. I doubt you'll find much of that in the barn tonight. Surely the house would be quieter?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-01, 09:36 PM
Butch

"Not at all, Wrench." Butch says smiling broadly. "I'm used to the sounds of a farm. Its like a gentle rain on the roof. Its actually very soothing. But we have several hours of daylight before nightfall. I'd like to get some work in before then."

Butch rubs his chin. "What about our prisoner? Is he awake yet?"

Asmodeus
2007-07-02, 07:54 AM
Butch

"Not at all, Wrench." Butch says smiling broadly. "I'm used to the sounds of a farm. Its like a gentle rain on the roof. Its actually very soothing. But we have several hours of daylight before nightfall. I'd like to get some work in before then."

Butch rubs his chin. "What about our prisoner? Is he awake yet?"

Wrench

"Suit yourself.

I don't know what the prisoner is up to. I thought you were the one watching him?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 08:27 AM
Butch

"Good point. Let's go find out."

Butch puts down his scythe and pulls out a sickle, gleaming silver. He calmy walks over to the captive, hoisting him up by his bindings and leans him up against a bale of straw.

Slapping the captive lightly, he speaks up. "Hey you! Wake up. You in there?"

Bigmac
2007-07-02, 08:40 AM
Kuven

Kuven leans back in his chair and relaxes a bit. He smiles and says, "Well, since you put it that way, I think I might be able to come up with something agreeable. Tell ya what. You just let me know the particulars of operating a way station and I'll come up with what it's worth to me." Kuven then turns to address Azmirith. Well stranger, I'm Kuven, this is my wife Ilanna, you met my eldest daughter Emilia, the younger two are twins, Jessa and Juli. My two eldest boys are out helping our neighbors with their house. Len and Bubby are out in the pasture right now, but they should be home for dinner. Now tell me mister, why don't you take that mask off? It's bound to be hot, and I appreceate it if men take their hats off indoors. It's just polite."

The prisoner opens his eyes as Butch tries to wake him up. His eyes are a bit blurry and roll around a bit before going back up into his eyelids as his head limps off to the side.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 01:27 PM
Butch

Butch sighs and lets the captive slump down. "I don't reckon he'll be up for talkin' at least til supper time." He thinks for a moment. "Say Nadeem... Could you maybe see if you could get us some blankets for the night. We can set up some sleeping arrangements and then I'll go make myself useful. You seem to see better at night than me, so I reckon you should get some rest now and keep Wrench company tonight watching our prisoner. That way I can get a good night's sleep and not be so grumpy. Do you play cards? That might keep you entertained tonight." Glancing around, Butch assesses the barn. "Hey Wrench... Do you see any good tactical positions in here? We should be fine tonight but just in case someone comes a calling, I'd like to be able to spot them easy. Maybe up in the hay loft? We'll need an escape route too, just in case."

Asmodeus
2007-07-02, 01:33 PM
Wrench

"The loft should do well as a lookout point, as long as there is enough light to see by. I'm not sure about an escape route though."

KCiemir
2007-07-02, 05:55 PM
Azmirith
Looking at Kuven, He says, rather conversationally, A lovely family, good man. I hope that we can agree to something that will work to our mutual benefit. Oh, and while on no accounts do I mean to be rude, it is a matter of honer that I keep this mask on. Indeed, it would certainly be ruder to take it off.

MandibleBones
2007-07-02, 08:21 PM
Cecil

Cecil explains the broader points of an Orien-sponsored post to Kuvan, and tries to address, or at least note, any concerns he might have. Otherwise, he'll talk to Kuvan as long as Kuvan needs to to feel comfortable.

Asmodeus
2007-07-03, 10:14 AM
Wrench

Wrench figures he has some time to spare while everyone else rests and sleeps. He starts by gathering up his tools, sorting them, organizing everything for more efficient use, and will also check on the wounded at some point. He'll avoid poking and prodding them this time though, since they seem to be in good care.

Wrench will spend whatever time he has to spare working on the barn. He'll work on repairing it to the best of his abilities, thinking it will be a nice gesture to the farmers for allowing them to stay the night. He'll continue into the night, probably making it highly difficult to sleep for Butch, who apparently wanted to sleep in the barn, despite Wrench's warning. The work is very relaxing, and to be honest, Wrench feels better about working with these materials, rather than trying to stitch together pieces of meat that tend to bleed when you put the nail in the wrong place.

{OOC: Ok, with that, I'm all set to fast-forward, Mr. DM. Although I'd like to know if I can still recover my infusions or not.}

Bigmac
2007-07-04, 08:35 AM
Kuven and Cecil spend most of the afternoon and evening ironing out the details of setting up a waystation. While the independent Kuven still has some reservations, Cecil feels like there is a good chance that a deal will get done. Azmirith is taken to a bed so that he can rest and Emilia tends to his wounds. She is quite skilled when it comes to the changing of the bandages and applying an herbal ointment that stings like a thousand bees and burns like the sun. It may hurt, but it helps to seal the wound closed and allow new skin to start to grow.

In the barn, the trio make some makeshift defenses around the grounds and the loft. If someone were to come in tonight, Butch would have a tactical advantage from being up in the loft, firing arrows behind his makeshift barrier. They move the prisoner from the horse so that it can rest with the other animals, but leave him tied up for when he wakes up. Apparently, Wrench hit him pretty good. A bit before dusk, the prisoner starts to moan and looks to be coming around. The group is gathered around as he finally wakes up and understanding comes back to his eyes. He shakes his head for a second and says, "Water. Please."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-04, 09:01 AM
Butch

Hearing the captive, Butch gets a bucket of water from the trough. "Yea, I figured you'd be thirsty after that trip in the sun."

Tilting the bucket up to give the man a drink, he then sets it down beside him. "Listen. We captured you while your friends were trying to steal our horses. Your two accomplices are dead, so you're the lucky one. You're being taken to Orcbone to stand trial for the attempted theft. I know it looks grim for you, but you might be able to make a deal with the magistrate, so not all is lost. All I can say is that if you try to escape we'll have to put you down like your friends. The simple fact is that you're slightly more valuable alive than dead at this moment, but that's a delicate balance. I'm willing to believe you had some sort of justification for your attack on us, but I'm not the Law here, just a citizen. So save your pleas for the magistrate. All I want from you right now is your name."

Bigmac
2007-07-04, 11:59 AM
The man gulps down the water and promptly spits some out as his parched throat has a difficult time with the liquid. He manages to get some down and shakes the rest off his head with a few shakes. He looks at Butch defiantly before saying, "Name's Tom. Not that it matters much."

Asmodeus
2007-07-04, 12:10 PM
The man gulps down the water and promptly spits some out as his parched throat has a difficult time with the liquid. He manages to get some down and shakes the rest off his head with a few shakes. He looks at Butch defiantly before saying, "Name's Tom. Not that it matters much."

Wrench

Wrench takes up a position next to Tom. If Tom does anything stupid, like trying to escape, or attack, Wrench is ready to knock him back out.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-04, 12:45 PM
Butch

Butch tips back the bucket, giving Tom some more water. "Well, Tom, I'm Butch... Butch Grimm. I hail from a plantation north of Shavalant. Over there is Nadeem. He comes from the far east I think. And you've met Wrench over there."

He puts the bucket down again. "I bet you're hungry, Tom. We ain't got much but there's still some trail rations left over."

Bigmac
2007-07-05, 01:36 PM
Tom gladly accepts the rations and devours them quickly. As night settles in everyone finds a place to rest, either in the barn or in the house depending on whichever they find more accomidating. The night passes quietly for those in the house and not so quietly for those in the barn due to the noise wrench makes as he sets about shoring up the wall with whatever he can find around the farm. He manages to come up with a pretty ingenious way to graft some iron and wood together in a lattice pattern. It makes for a odd looking wall, but it should hold together even better than if the whole wall had been rebuilt.

In the morning, the crew is welcome to eat at the breakfast table if they so choose before setting off for Orcbone.

Asmodeus
2007-07-05, 02:01 PM
{OOC: Cough-XP-Cough}

Wrench

Wrench starts the day off by checking on the wounded. He'll offer a potion to whoever is still the most badly hurt. (roll your own healing, 1d8+1)

After that, he'll offer to guard the prisoner while those who need to eat take care of that need.

MandibleBones
2007-07-05, 02:30 PM
Cecil

Cecil is ready to head out after breakfast, wanting to make as good time to Orcbone as he can. He thanks Kuvan heartily for the lodgings, and promises to carry Kuvan's proposal back to House Orien.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-05, 02:40 PM
Butch

Butch is up at the crack of dawn with a much better attitude. Before breakfast he makes sure all the horses are watered and fed, double checking their harnesses, but keeping the main load off the backs. He takes his breakfast on the front porch, enjoying the sunrise. While everyone else finishes breakfast, Butch loads up the horses.

Before leaving, Butch takes a moment to shake Kuven's hand. "Thank you so much Mr. Kuven. This really meant a lot to me. Thank you for your hospitality."


Butch slips another 5 gold pieces to Kuven while shaking his hand.

KCiemir
2007-07-05, 06:49 PM
Azmirith
After a brief breakfast, Azmirith turns to Kuven and his family and says
Good sir, you have been more than kind to us. This house was a welcome change from the cold dirt on the trail. My best wishes to you and your family, and I hope you and house orion can come to some agreement.
With that he bows, gives words of thanks all of the family, and leaves along with everyone else.

Bigmac
2007-07-06, 07:38 AM
The horses move swiftly and gracefully down the trail leaving the ranch behind them. Kuven was very thankful for the repair of the barn and even left the money in Butch's hand when he left; while Emilia gave Azmirith a blushing smile. The corpses smell even worse today, and even those with poor senses notice it. The lack of wind doesn't help much either, and actually allows the flies to gather with more ease. Still the group is making good time and the trail conditions are good.

It is a few hours after midday that you see the fort in the distance. It is an impressive fortress surrounded by man made defenses used to channel traffic into the main gate. The walls have been damaged and repaired several times and what people you can spot seem to be moving with a purpose. As you come closer, you hear a lookout crying out that there are riders approaching. The gate is lowered but a large and imposing figure on top of a bear similar to the one that was traveling with you stands in the passageway and calls out. "State your name and purpose with Orcbone."

MandibleBones
2007-07-06, 10:59 AM
Cecil

Cecil steps up. "Cecil the Gray of House Orien, here with my team to deliver these fine horses to the Lord."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-06, 02:17 PM
Butch

"I am Butch Grimm. Escorting Mr. Cecil from Shavalant. The man in bonds is Tom. We apprehended him during an attempted horse theft. His two accomplices are dead on that rear horse. And we lost one of our men on the way as well."

Bigmac
2007-07-06, 02:23 PM
The man stares at you for a second in disbelief. "Where have you been? Khyber? We sent a rider out to look for you when you didn't arrive yesterday. You were supposed to have a bear with you as well. Where's it at?" Before anyone can reply he cuts you off. "I don't really care. Just get these horses to the stables NOW. And you.. the main points at Cecil "The Lord wants a word with you." With that, the man moves the bear out of the way so that the horses can pass. As you move by the bear you can clearly see it's powerful claws and muscles, much like the bear you had to put down.

The fort proper is a very functional affair. It seems to have been built with typical Brelish practicality, every building or set of stairways serving some purpose. Most of the people moving about are dressed in some sort of uniform, identifying themselves as part of the Brelish army. Those who have served in the armed forces of Breland can recognize the ranks of those moving about. A group of young privates approach you to help you dismount from the horses under the watchful eye of a sergeant. One of the privates gasps, "Oger's Eyes! What the blazes happened?" as he sees the corpses and bear's head attached to the horses. "Stow it Jonz. Just get the horses to the stables and we'll clean 'em up there. Riston, you take the prisioner to the hold. I'm sure the inspector would like a word with him." The sergeant growls. He then looks at the group and says, "I'm to take you to see Lord ir'Tajar. Follow me." He turns quickly and begins walking towards the main tower.

The sergeant leads you into the main tower through a set of heavy darkwood double doors. As you enter you pass several guardsmen wearing half plate armor adorned with the bear of Breland who hold their halberds at attention as you pass. You are lead up a stairway that circles around inside the tower that is lit by everbright torches. The artificial light from the crystals serves to color the passageway a slight color of crimson. From the stairway you are taken down a hallway to your right before the sergeant opens a door for you. He stretches out his hand and motions you in. "Please wait here. I'll go get his lordship."

Inside the room is a large table with no chairs around it, but with several chairs alongside the walls. There is a large and detailed map of the surrounding area laid out on the table as well as several other maps rolled up and stored in a case against the wall. There are two tapestries hanging in the room. The one on the east wall depicts a king standing before a huge tower with workers around it's base. The second is a battle scene of a knight in golden armor with shield and axe fighting an ogre with a nasty looking club.

MandibleBones
2007-07-06, 04:03 PM
Cecil

Cecil waits patiently for Lord ir'Tajen, a look of zenlike calm across his face. His eyes drift over the rooms accessories, and he lets his mind wander to the quick briefing on nobility he'd been given nearly a year ago. If any of the others are with him, he asks them politely to let him speak to ir'Tajen, looking pointedly at Butch as he does - but a glimmer in his eye and the barest hint of a smile says Butch hasn't done him wrong yet.

Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty to remember anything I might know about Lord ir'Tajar (1d20+3=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1138721) Knowledge: Geography and Knowledge: History, respectively. (1d20+3=14, 1d20+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1138890)

Asmodeus
2007-07-06, 04:09 PM
Wrench

Wrench walks over to the maps and scrolls rolled up. He starts looking at them to see what sort of scrolls are there and what maps there are. If he can find one, he'll try to pinpoint on it where the farmhouse is that they stayed overnight at.

{OOC: No ranks in geography. Just passing the time waiting for the lord. If possible, Wrench will just look and not touch.}

KCiemir
2007-07-06, 06:31 PM
Azmirith

Azmirith will drift to the chairs in the back, and sit down. while there, he will look over the maps {no ranks in Knowlegde, so just looking at the pretty pictures}. In his present location, he makes no attempt to hide himself, but he does sort of fade into the shadow, making it easy to miss him if one were to glance into the room.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-06, 07:15 PM
Butch

Butch sets his gear and prized saddle on a couple chairs and leans his scythe against the wall. Then he takes a moment to examine the decorations. "Did you see the coat of arms on the guards? That's a bear... a Breland bear... much smaller and black. I knew I wasn't crazy." Taking a good look at the ogre tapestry he speculates. "I bet this is one of the Lord's ancestors fighting off a Droaamite demon."

Glancing at the map, Butch points out the existing Orien trade road to the west as well as the the trade road on the east side of Silver Lake. "See that? A trade road through Shavalant could make for a fast route on the south side of Silver Lake. As it is, you gotta go all the way up to Lake Galifar to get your trade goods through."

Wandering back to Cecil, Butch starts up again, "They seemed awful miffed about being late. I don't think we were really THAT late either. But they act like there weren't no bandits in the area." He rolls his eyes a paces about a bit.

Asmodeus
2007-07-08, 11:57 AM
Wrench

[roll0]
Add +7 bonus for a total of 18.

Bigmac
2007-07-10, 08:53 AM
For Cecil
You recall that Lord ir'Tajar has been in charge of Orcbone for a while and has had to defend it from several incursion from both Drooam and The reaches during the war. He has some skill with magic and prefers to use his mind to enact cunning plans. You realize that a trade road from shalavant to orcbone might not be the most profitable road, but it would be useful to cut delivery time to Orcbone and into Drooam. You recognize the scenes in the two murals. The fight scene represents King Boronal defeating Drooam's champion while the other is one of the ancient Galfar Kings building the first tower of Sharn.

For Wrench
The fort is well built and has withstood many attacks. The ditches and waterways look to be used to trap incoming attackers in an enclosed space to limit the vulnerabilities of such an open fort.

After waiting some time the door opens and a man dressed in sharp military clothes enters the room past the sergeant who is holding the door. He is followed by two guards who enter and stand on either side of the doorway. He wears his uniform well and has a long moustache with a hawk like nose. He examines each of you for a moment taking stock of who is in his map room. He recognizes the dragonmark on Cecil and addresses him. "So, it seems you had some difficulties on your journey here. I understand that the road is dangerous, that is why I contracted Orien to deliver the horses after all. I suspected something might have happened and sent a few riders out to escort you back to the fort. Could you please elaborate on what exactly happened during your journey?"

MandibleBones
2007-07-10, 09:52 AM
Cecil

Cecil nods. After taking a breath, he launches into his recap.

“Lord ir’Tajan, we made out from Shavalant as was planned two nights ago, meaning to be here yestereve. In the afternoon of the first day, we were ambushed by bandits – they provoked the magebred bear which we were hired to deliver into a frenzy from which the scions of the handling house could not calm it. It slew one of its handlers and wounded two of my men before we drove the bandits off. The bear, regrettably, had to be put down – but better put down then than on the front lines, I think.”

“Knowing I could not bring the horses to Orcbone with two of my team so heavily injured, we decided to make camp there for the evening. That night, we were ambushed again by bandits – whether a linked group or a different one, I cannot say. They attempted to steal the magebred horses, but this time we were more successful – we slew two of them and captured the third, to bring to you. Sometime during this attack, the second handler ran off.”

“We made as good time as we could here, but stopped at a farmhouse as dusk drew nigh – my primary duty is to keep the caravan safe, as you know, and my team pointed out that we were more likely to be ambushed again if we pushed through.”

Cecil pauses, taking a breath. “It proved a wise choice, both for the safety of my team and your horses, and for future prospects – I now carry with me a proposal from one Kuvan, the homesteader who’s farm we stayed at, for the establishment of an Orien waystation, potentially allowing for a trade route directly along the paths we took and cutting trade time from Shavalant to Orcbone and beyond dramatically.”

He hands the proposal to ir’Tajan.

Bigmac
2007-07-10, 03:26 PM
Lord ir'Tajar listens carefully, weighing Cecil's words. He waves off the paperwork for the trade route when it is presented as hen walks over to the map to take a look at it. He slams his fist over the area where the attack occurred. The Dagger take those fools! They attack what they can and never think about the consequences. Their petty ideals won't keep an Ogre's blade from loping their head off." He pauses for a second after the small outburst to collect himself.

"It seems while they didn't deny me the horses, they did delay them enough to cause problems. I had to send my scouting party out early this morning on reports of Drooamite activity along the border. The beasts aren't stupid though and so far have managed to not be caught on this side of the border. I was hoping the magebread horses might be fast enough to catch them off guard. All I need is a shred of proof and not even Yurell would be able to stop me from sending raiders of our own in to go after them. But, you couldn't possibly have known that, and there will unfortunately be other opportunities in the future. As for you, I appreciate your service in delivering the animals. Due to the unforeseen circumstances, I feel that 2000 gold will be more than fair compensation for the late delivery."

MandibleBones
2007-07-10, 04:42 PM
Cecil

Cecil nods graciously, knowing he'll not likely get a better offer. "That's kind of you, my lord," he says.

Asmodeus
2007-07-10, 06:14 PM
Wrench

Unsure if he should say anything or not, Wrench offers meekly, "What about the prisoner?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-10, 10:26 PM
Butch

Butch whispers to Cecil over his shoulder, "Sir, we'll need provisions and lodging. And then plans for a return trip."

MandibleBones
2007-07-11, 02:56 AM
Cecil

Cecil smiles. "My team members raise good points, my Lord. We'd like to know what's to become of the prisoner, if you can tell us. Also, your Lordship's recommendations for proper lodging would be appreciated."

Bigmac
2007-07-11, 09:14 AM
"You are welcome to stay in the barracks for now. The sergeant can show you to the treasuary for pament and then you can see the quartermaster for any supplies that you may need. If any of you are men of faith, there is a small temple to the soverign host as well located in the cortyard. As far as the prisioner is concerned, I have reason to belive he is connected to a terriorist cell in the area. We will question him with the aid of magic to discern the truth and attempt to ferret out this cell. Not only is it bad for trade, but their reckless activities weakens the defenses for the entire nation. Depending on what we find out I may have need of some assistance. As it is, most of my men are occupied with the defense of Breland's border."

MandibleBones
2007-07-11, 02:29 PM
Cecil

Cecil nods. "We'll make use of your barracks then, and my thanks for the hospitality. If you should have need of our services once you find out more from the bandit, I think we'd be interested in the job." With this, he looks around for assent or denial.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-11, 03:05 PM
Butch

Butch nods to Cecil and then raises his hand. "Umm... Lord ir'Tajar sir... If it is any help, the spot where we were ambushed is marked by the corpse of the bear thing we were bringing here. I'm sure vultures will be circling if you send out a scouting team. I reckon it would be a full day's trek if your men travel light. I can't recommend pushing the horses with a heavier load because they'd end up fatigued when they reach the terrorists favorite ambush spot. Also, I'd guess it was a good twelve hours between the first ambush and the second. So, their camp couldn't be more than half a day's walk from that site. I'd reckon a might bit less, considering that they would take a circuitous route so as to lose anyone following them. Then that second group was traveling in the dark, so they were likely slowed down by that as well. That puts their camp within twelve miles of that spot and likely within four to six miles. I scouted out about a mile from the campsite and weren't nothing there. No houses or camps or nothing. And there weren't much kindling either, so I know it been picked clean by someone. Of course, if they been tipped off by some inside man, then likely they'd be trying to move out quickly. This might be your best chance..."

Then Butch notices Lord ir'Tajar and snaps out of his reverie. "Oh. So sorry sir. I should not be telling you how to do your business." Butch then backs away and starts fumbling with his gear on the chairs, trying to look busy.

Bigmac
2007-07-11, 03:30 PM
The Lord listens to Butch carefully. As he listens, the lord draws a crystalline object from his belt and places it into a slot on the map table. When Butch finishes, he says "Don't worry about that. I like the way you think. Let see if you can help me out here." He then begins to cast a spell over the table. The map begins to come to life, as it projects a three dimensional image of land in a very realistic manner. You say you were about 14 hours or so out of Shavalant, on magebread horses. That would be around here" He traces his finger around a square on the map. As he does so the image on the outside of the square darkens so that nothing is visible and a new image is created a few inches above the table showing an expanded view of the area inside the square. The terrain looks familier, and Nadeem is able to point out what appears to be the area in which you were attacked. In response to his observation, ir'Tajar once again traces a square around the area. The outer image fades away as it is replaced by a new image of the campsite you were ambushed at. The trees looks a bit different and the season appears to be more wintery than summer, but there is no doubt that this is the same area you were just in yesterday. "Is this where the attacks occurred?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-11, 04:39 PM
Butch

Butch marvels at the images and then scratches his head. He lowers down to eye level and tries to figure out the image. "Hmm... I dunno, it looks familiar. That could be it... but we were slowed down by that bear... and I don't think we were fourteen hours out from Shavalant more like eight hours. So I'd say somewhat closer to Shavalant. Maybe about two thirds of the way back..."

MandibleBones
2007-07-11, 04:54 PM
Cecil

"I may have to disagree with you this time, Butch," Cecil says. "That does look mightily like where we were ambushed."

Bigmac
2007-07-11, 07:30 PM
The Lord gives Butch an annoyed look, but is civil with his reply. "I probably should have said 14 hours of regular travel, or about 9 on magebread horses. And I doubt the bear slowed you down too much, they manage to keep up with our regular patrols all the time." He then asks the others, "So is this where the attack occured or not?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-11, 08:49 PM
Butch

Butch stands up and nods. "Oh, in that case, yes. That's the place. I guess I'm still not used to how fast those magebred horses go, sir."

Bigmac
2007-07-13, 12:24 PM
"So it's agreed this is where the attacks occured? Very well then. I appreceate your help in this matter. Sergeant Kelnor will be able to help you with any other needs you may have." With that Lord ir'Tajar takes his leave. The sergant enters the room and looks at the group, waiting for direction.

Asmodeus
2007-07-13, 12:32 PM
Wrench

Wrench will head over to Cecil and say "I wonder if we could be of any service with those Drooamites on the border?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-13, 02:43 PM
Butch

Butch ponders for a moment and then adresses the sergeant. "The Lord said we should go to the treasury first for our payment. Then I'd like to stop by the chapel to see that those men we brought in are receiving a proper funeral. I think we need to restock our healing potions as well. We really ought to find a healer to travel with us... Well anyway, after that, I'll need to see the quartermaster for a new pack and bedroll... probably ought to get a couple tents, especially if we're hiking back. A mule would be handy too. Actually, maybe we should wait on that until Mr. Cecil decides where we are going next."

MandibleBones
2007-07-14, 12:35 AM
Cecil

"Actually, gentlemen, I say we rest and enjoy a day in town before we move out next. I think we could easily be of help to the Lord, but I'd like to wait until we get more intelligence before anything. What are your thoughts?"

Asmodeus
2007-07-14, 09:42 AM
Wrench

"I wouldn't mind the opportunity to make a few more potions for the purpose of healing. Of course, if we could get a wand, Naveen could use it."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-17, 09:52 PM
Butch

Butch gathers his equipment and then follows the sergeant to the Chapel. Knocking on the door jamb he calls inside, "Hello, is anybody in? I'd like to check on those poor souls we brought in earlier. I could use some spiritual counseling too."

Slash_712
2007-07-18, 12:20 PM
"Hello, how my I aid you" says a man with black hair and deep blue eyes. He looks a little older and wiser than most and he has a friendly look on his face. Unlike a normal cleric, he is wearing a breastplate and has a mace attached to his belt, but apart from that, he seems sincere.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-18, 08:00 PM
Butch

"Oh hi. My name is Butch... Butch Grimm from Shavalant. I'm with the group that delivered some magebred horses to the Lord. We ran into some bandits on the way and had to kill them. Plus, we lost one of our own. We brought the bodies here for a proper burial and blessings from the Host. Lord ir'Tajar said he was going to question the captive we brought back and I'm wondering if he's got plans for the bodies as well..." Butch hesitated for a moment, looking a bit concerned. "Err... umm... I mean, do you know if the bodies have gotten a proper burial yet? And we've been taking a beating out there without a healer. Do you know if there are any healing potions available for sale? Oh, and I think I need some spiritual advice. I kinda feel bad for having to kill those men, but just didn't have any way of stopping them otherwise. I mean I tried to treat their bodies with respect, but I only ever saw the ceremonies from a distance, so I don't know if I did it right."

Slash_712
2007-07-18, 10:32 PM
Threshkor

"Well death is a tragic thing, but unfortunately I believe that it will never dissappear. As for the killing, I do not want to punish you, as I believe that because you have already thought that what you have done is wrong, there is very little I can say to ease the pain. Some people make their living from killing, but those people never think about what they have done, but you, my dear boy, have thought about this and I believe that just that has redeemed you. I myself have found myself needing to defend myself, but I always pray that I may be forgiven. As for the bodies, you will have to ask him yourself. For a healer, I believe I can offer my services. I am a traveling cleric anyway and I have found myself here serving the people. I consider you know the people and I believe that I can help you.

{OOC- If we stay the night I think I will burn my spells for cure spells and that should provide enough healing for everyone to be full, combined with a goodnights sleep and breakfest of course.}

Citizen Joe
2007-07-19, 04:50 AM
Butch

Butch blinks in surprise. "Really? That would be wonderful. I'll introduce you to my boss immediately. His name is Cecil and I think he's important to the Orien house."

Butch takes a moment to kneel down and silently pray, then leaves some silver in the collection box. Hoisting his gear to his shoulder, he leads Threshkor out into the Fort's main compound. Waving down the group, he calls out, "Mr. Cecil! Mr. Cecil! I found a healer."

Beaming broadly, Butch makes the introductions. "This is our boss, Mr. Cecil. He's with House Orien. This 'forged is Wrench. That's Azzy over in the shadows there. Don't mention the mask, I think he's sensitive about his face.. Hmm... I don't see Nadeem... Well, I'm sure he's around. Everyone, I found this healer over in the chapel. He'd like to join our group. Err... umm... I'm sorry I didn't catch your name."

Slash_712
2007-07-19, 12:28 PM
Threshkor

"My name is Threshkor and I am pleased to meet all of you. My services may be limited as I am not as powerful as some of my superiors, but I will do what I can to heal and protect all who come here."

Asmodeus
2007-07-19, 03:06 PM
Wrench

Wrench looks up from the vial and potion ingredients he's been tinkering with. "Welcome to the group, Threshkor. Maybe you'll have better luck with these than I did." He takes out a couple scrolls with Cure Light Wounds on them and hands them to Threshkor.

"I'll help you translate them when you get a chance."

Slash_712
2007-07-19, 04:57 PM
Threshkor

"Why thank you.....Wrench?" He says as he looks over at Butch to check if he got the name right. "These should come in very handy. Thank you."

{OOC- How many scrolls do I have now?}

Citizen Joe
2007-07-19, 09:27 PM
Butch


"Mr. Cecil, I still need to replace my pack and bedroll and such. I think I saw a basic soldier's kit on the way over. And we should all have some healing potions just in case. After that, I figured we could set up our bunks and hit the chow hall to plan out the return trip."

Asmodeus
2007-07-20, 07:05 AM
Threshkor

"Why thank you.....Wrench?" He says as he looks over at Butch to check if he got the name right. "These should come in very handy. Thank you."

{OOC- How many scrolls do I have now?}

{OOC: I gave you 2.}

Wrench

"Save your money on the potions. I've got some, and I'll be making more, now that I've got some reward money for ingredients."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-20, 08:39 AM
Butch

"Ooh... OK, Wrench, I'll take 10 healing potions. Can you have them ready by the morning? I think I'd like to get an early start." Butch then turns back to the leather tanning booth, "You know, if we're going to be traveling light, I should probably get some light armour. But then again, I'll still have to carry my chainmail so maybe that isn't such a good idea. Hey Mr. Cecil! Look at this! Tents... We could use a couple of these if we're spending time outdoors." Butch continues to ramble on, rooting through the provisions and equipment, eventually he produces quite a stockpile of gear.

"Ayup! That ought do it." He nods assertively at the collected pile.


Pile consists of:
1 Standard Adventurer's kit (Pack, pouch, bedroll, flint/steel, 50' rope, 2 sunrods, 10 days trail rations, waterskin) 15 gp
1 winter blanket 5 sp
2 tents (2 man) 10 gp @ = 20 gp
1 day's worth of firewood 1 cp
2 buckets for water 5 sp @ = 1 gp
1 pack saddle for a mule 5 gp
6 days trail rations (total of 16 people-days) 1 [email protected] = 6 sp
3 extra waterskins 1gp @ = 3 gp
Total: 45 gp, 1 sp, 1 cp
Plus another 8 gp for a mule if available
PLEASE chime in with suggestions or comments about the pile. This is based on some potentially faulty assumptions.


"We'll need a mule too, to carry all that, but I'm not sure if any are available. The buckets are for water and so are the skins. Everyone should keep a whole day's worth of water on them. The mule will be drinking quite a bit so we need the extra capacity. I think there are some rivers to refill our supplies but I'm not particularly good at finding them or figuring out if they are safe to drink. In any case, I suspect we can ration out our food and water if we need to cut down on weight."

Asmodeus
2007-07-20, 09:23 AM
Wrench

"I can't make them that fast, but between the ones I've got and the scrolls, we should be fine for the time being."

Wrench starts looking through the gear. He picks up the sunrods and examines them. "No Everbright Lantern's available? Oh well. These should hold us until I can make one."

Picking up the waterskin and trail rations, he says "What are these for? Oh yea. Humans need to do that eating thing. I won't need one of these."

{OOC: I need to know how many days worth of crafting I can get in while we are here, Mr. DM.}

Bigmac
2007-07-20, 12:24 PM
The quartermaster is very helpful in getting you the supplies you need. He keeps a tally of the items and gives you a bill for 50gp when you are done. He directs you to speak with the head trainer about requisitioning any animals.

As evening approaches soldiers move about the fort's walls as the shifts change and fresh faces stand ready to watch through the night. Those who are coming off duty make their way to the chow hall. The sergeant accompanying you advises that you are welcome to join the men at mess. Cecil addresses the group, "You all go ahead and get some food. I need to go see about contacting the House about the trade route. I'll catch up later. And good job getting the supplies ready Butch. See about getting us some horses or other means of transport and expect to depart no later than the day after tomorrow."

The mess hall smells of sweat and spices mixed with the scent of ale. A musician sings stories of the old days of Galfar as some of the men clap along to the beat. A small line forms to wait for a turn to get a bowl full of liquid and lumps from a large boiling pot. A piece of bread is handed to each man after they have gotten their bowls filled. A row of cups stands by a wooden keg a short ways away from the food. A soldier stands near the keg with a piece of chalk and is busy explaining to another man "No more for you. Two marks is all you get." The tables have plenty of room at them as most of the men have already finished their meals and have left to take care of their evening duties.

Asmodeus
2007-07-20, 12:39 PM
{OOC: If we've got 1-2 days left, how many days have we been here already?}

Wrench

With no need to eat, Wrench will instead concentrate his energies on his crafting.

Slash_712
2007-07-20, 02:31 PM
Threshkor

As he sits down and eats his food graciously, he turns to the others and asks

"So now that I have been inducted into your group, is there anything that I can help with right now?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-20, 05:06 PM
Butch

Butch swirls his soup around, deep in thought. When Threshkor speaks up, Butch looks up from his soup. "I don't know. I guess its a matter of hurry up and wait. I mean we got the gear for a return trip to Shavalant. But I'm not even sure we're going there. Now Mr. Cecil wants horses and that seems difficult considering we brought the horses here. Its a bit counter productive to take them back. I figure they could spare a mule. Plus, with a mule, that's a good approximation of a trade caravan. That way we could figure out good locations on the route to set up way stations."

Butch starts to rearrange things on the table.

"OK, lets say your bowl is Shavalant with a good supply of food and other supplies. My bowl will represent Orcbone... notice that its half empty. There's some supplies here, but not as much. Now, the soup kettle all the way over there would be the Orien trade road and the big cities to the east. Now for sure, we're not going to be able to get to the kettle, but between us we can share. Now as I figure it, I reckon it would take about four days for a caravan to get from Shavalant to Orcbone. So between the two there should be three waystations set up so that the caravans have a safe place to stay at night."

Butch sets out a few cups between the bowls. Taking Threshkor's mug, he pours a little bit into each cup.

"Now they're all going to need wells, since horses and people get thirsty and water is pretty heavy. So, as the caravan goes from Shavalant to Orcbone, they'll stop and refresh their horses from the wells like so..."

Butch then takes a swig out of each cup, emptying it as he arrives at his own mug.

"Now they're also going to need foodstuff, since that's a bit heavy too. So each station needs to have those supplies as well."

Butch restocks the cups with chunks from the Shavalant bowl.

"So, trade caravans will go through, restocking from each way station. And since the food won't last, they'll periodically cycle it closer to Orcbone, like so..."

Butch then dumps the closest cup into his bowl and then refills that cup with then next closest, continuing until he arrives back at the Shavalant bowl where he takes another chunk for the farthest cup.

"Now that will be fine for a while, but there's also raids from Droaam and local bandits."

Butch scoops up each cup and gulps it down.

"So, you see, we can't just leave the way stations out in the open. They need to be hidden a bit off the beaten path. Or somehow defended."

Butch thinks about the situation a bit, working on his soup. Then he starts in again, "Now here's the nice part. You see, it takes four days for a caravan, BUT a man on light horse could travel about twice the speed. So a courier could make it to the mid station in about one day, taking a midday break at the first station. Then a rider that could see in the dark, like an elf or even someone with a lantern, could continue from there through the night, allowing a message to be delivered in a single day."

Slash_712
2007-07-20, 06:23 PM
Threshkor

Seeing his friend go through a frenzy of explaining a caravban trip while simultaneously being able to steal everyone's food, Threshkor lays his head a little backward and befins to laugh. Staring at Butch while he has his mouth full after the appetite the explaining gave him Threshkor tells him.....

"Truly Butch, There has not been a man alive that is your equal."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-20, 10:44 PM
Butch

Butch finishes off his soup and then sets down his bowl.

"Do you think they are going to serve dessert? I've got some theories regarding the winter snowpack..."

Slash_712
2007-07-21, 10:55 AM
Threshkor

Still laughing at the man's entusiasm he says....
"You know, some people regard gluttony as a sin? What are your thoughts, Butch?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-21, 11:36 AM
Butch

"I think those people didn't grow up with seven brothers and sisters." Butch smirks and then sits back on the bench. "You know, I just went a couple days with only trail rations. I wouldn't exactly call this gluttony. I prefer to think of it as reprovisioning. I mean there's no sense starting out a long journey hungry."

Butch sighs pensively, "I'm still not sure how to get those horses Mr. Cecil wants. They seem to be in big demand here. I think I could get a mule, especially if it means it will be returned with the next supply delivery. Actually, that brings us back to the problem with the bandits. I doubt the locals would attack a military shipment, but if there are Droaamite raiders, they probably would. Anything to hinder the fort."

Butch hesitates when he notices the glares from the rest of the soldiers, "Err... umm... maybe this isn't the best place to discuss that."

Slash_712
2007-07-21, 10:14 PM
Threshkor

"Yes, it would seem that discussing this somewhere else is a good idea. Let's finish our food and get along with the plans."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-22, 08:00 AM
As you complete your meal and decide to take your conversation to a less crowded location, a watchman's voice calls out in the near distance, announcing riders approaching.

Two of the remaining soldiers, both nondescript sorts, rise quickly and exit the mess hall, leaving their half-consumed bowls of liquid and lumps behind them. The others continue eating and chatting amongst themselves, one or another casting a sidelong glance in your direction, but generally avoiding anything close to lingering eye contact. Perhaps they're only jealous of the freedom you have to blaze your own trails, while they are resigned to hopping to the beat of their commander's orders.

This intermittent attention is not lost on your own leader, and Cecil remarks in a subdued tone, "I'm thinking it might be a decent idea to follow that sentiment, and take our leave right about now. We have lodgings on offer, so I suggest we take advantage of them. Let's meet in my room in, say, a quarter hour." He assumes you'll find it easily enough, as he doesn't bother to specify its exact location.

With that, Cecil stands fully and provides a curt nod to the lot of you before turning toward the room's main exit. Azmirith also rises to follow Cecil, but the older man pauses politely to usher the masked ninja ahead of him with a lazy sweep of his hand.

At an adjacent table opposite the hall's exit, a trio of fresh, green recruits have apparently taken notice of the mysterious cloaked man. One of the three, a red-headed youth sitting with spoon in hand and chewing whatever it is that forms the lumps in the bowl before him, turns and snickers in Azmirith's direction, before returning his gaze to his two fellows. A few hushed words are conveyed as he leans inward, and the entire table erupts in laughter.

Almost before this, Azmirith stops and turns, his eyes clearly glaring. Cecil, seems caught entirely unawares, and says to him, "Alright, well, I'll be leaving on my own then. Fifteen minutes, eh? I'll be waiting." He steps around Azmirith, essentially ignoring him and heads out the way he'd entered the hall. With a final backhanded wave, he's lost to sight.

So far, the trio of recruits haven't noticed Azmirith's icy stare, apparently being more interested in prolonging the private joke with gestures and additional mirth.

None of you were paying close enough attention to the soldiers around you, save gathering the general feeling that you'd rather be elsewhere to discuss your plans, so none caught the actual words spoken by the recruit, and thus are somewhat Cecil-like in your obliviousness. You do hear the recruits laughing it up, but don't find it unusual, as sporadic laughing has been heard, here and there, in the hall throughout your meal.

OOCFor those who can manage a DC15 spot check (please don't read any spoilers you don't qualify for--read 'em in a week, instead; more fun that way):You catch Azmirith's motions. The laughter nearby and Azmirith's focused glare draw your own eye to the recruits. When you look back to Azmirith, you notice his hands flexing tightly at his sides.
The rest of you are preparing to leave the hall and, presumably, see to meeting up with Cecil.

Asmodeus
2007-07-22, 08:17 AM
Wrench

Having not gone to the mess hall, Wrench worries more with his crafting. He uses his own room as his work area, or Cecil's if none was provided for him, and Cecil doesn't object.

{OOC: UMD Checks ahoy!}
[roll0]DC 22, CLW Potion
[roll1]DC 22, Potion Last-Ditch-Effort
[roll2]DC22, CLW Scroll
[roll3]DC22, Scroll Last-Ditch-Effort

Success will consume 37 GP and 5 SP worth of materials.

Asmodeus
2007-07-22, 08:20 AM
{OOC: Using an action point to boost that 18 on my potion's last ditch. Need a 4 or better to succeed. I hope this works...

[roll0]

Edit: Woot.}

Wrench successfully creates a potion and another scroll.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-22, 08:52 AM
Butch

Butch wraps his big meaty arms around Azmirith and Threshkor's shoulders. "Oh this is wonderful. We've got a healer and my friend Azmirith is still hurt from the other day. Oh, I have an idea, why don't you take a look at him, Mr. Threshkor. Just make sure hes fit for duty and all. I'll be right along, I think these fine young lads are interested in the receding nature of the winter snow packs." Giving Threshkor a wink, he urges his companions out the door and gives them an informal salute with his empty bowl in hand.

Reaching down, Butch hefts the bench up and out so he can squeeze in next to the recruits. Chuckling, he starts up a conversation, "That's funny... heh... You know I've seen some redheads from up north. Always talking about the snow..."

Later, Butch rejoins the group at the barracks, licking his lips and rubbing his belly.

Slash_712
2007-07-22, 09:36 AM
Threshkor

As asked Threshkor will attempt to survey the damage done on Azmirith.

"Lad, I will need to know where you are hurt. I can help you with various things, but I need to know what you need. Now then, what is it that seems to bother you?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-22, 11:45 AM
Butch

Seeing Threshkor work on Azmirith, Butch chuckles lightly. "I guess you just can't get away from healers poking you, eh Azzy? At least it doesn't hurt as bad as Wrench. Well, lets get together in Cecil's room and figure out what we're doing."

Finding Wrench working at the desk, Butch commandeers the bed as a work surface. "OK, good, you're here too, Wrench. Keep working at... well whatever you're working on. Feel free to chime in if you have any suggestions."

Butch nods to Cecil, "If you will indulge me, Sir, I'll review some of the aspects of a trade route between here and Shavalant."

Butch goes through the details he mentioned in the chow hall and then addresses his concerns, "So you see, the way stations would be vulnerable to raiders. Off the top of my head, I'd say the options are: hide or fortify these sites. That may need some significant exploration to find the appropriate sites. Plus we need to deal with water supplies and actually getting permission to use the land."

He ponders some more, "Actually, hiding won't help much against the local bandits. They know the territory better and we wouldn't be able to keep the sites secret. I don't think a full fortification will be cost effective either. That's like putting up three whole forts between here and Shavalant."

Staring at the layout, Butch grunts and starts up again. "Clearly we need to go with the hiding option with locations provided in a need to know basis. Then someone will have to deal with the bandits. As I figure it, the bandits are only bandits because they are desperate and can't get a safer better paying job. So, we need to make the prospect of raiding the way stations less appealing for them. So how can we do that?"

Slash_712
2007-07-22, 12:03 PM
Threshkor

Meeting up with Butch and the rest of the party Threshkor comes in while he hears Butch talking.

"Well, if we really want people to think that you aren't worth stealing from, I could probably borrow some priest clothes and most of us could go in disguise. There's one problem. I need to figure out some reason for priests to keep a warforged. So what do you think?"

Citizen Joe
2007-07-22, 12:43 PM
BUTCH

Butch nods to Threshkor. "I suppose a group of priests wouldn't likely be attacked. But I'm not referring to us. I meant caravans in general. No matter how they are dressed, they'll have carts and horses with them. So there will be obvious value out there on the road. But that can be defended with guard escorts. Plus, they'll be on the move which is a harder target. Just put up a fight and let the caravan blow through. The bandits can't possibly have a deep defense, so once past the front line, its smooth travel. With the prize lost, the bandits wouldn't have anything to stay and fight for. The problem is the immobile camps at the way stations. They're sitting targets and the bandits can just wait for the prize to come to them."

Butch gets a flash of inspiration. "Wait! I got it. Sure, we need to defend the way stations, but who says that needs to be entirely human guards?" He chuckles and continues. "OK lets say we get a barn or some other building built to enclose the cargo. An adjacent building can act as a bunkhouse for the caravan personnel. Around that we'll need a corral and then fence off a certain area. During the day, guard dogs would be kept in the kennels but at night, after the caravans have arrived, the guard dogs patrol the area. They don't need to stop the bandits, just warn the encampment with their baying."

His proud look fades after a moment. "That's still going to be really expensive. Well, unless we find some existing farms that could be leased out for this."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-22, 07:36 PM
Azmirith seems less than pleased with Butch's intervention, but at both his and Threshkor's urging, he concedes, leaving the table of recruits with a final deadly glare. He remains silent and allows himself to be shuffled out of the mess hall, though he appears less than interested in being touched.

When Butch takes a seat with the recruits, their laughter ceases abruptly. They stare at one another for a few moments before rising to their feet, one tossing his bit of remaining bread into his nearly empty bowl with enough momentum to see it bounce out and land before the man who dared intrude on their private conversation.

However, it seemed more an act of fate than intent, and the three wordlessly pushed away their seats and shouldered their way out of the room. The redhead did pause to throw one glance back at Butch, now left alone at the table, but he said nothing, allowing the half-sneer on his face to speak for itself. The other soldiers in the room took no obvious notice of any of it, and continued as they were.

Content to believe he'd defused a potential conflict, he rises and exits the hall on his way to the rooms provided to the team by the graces of the fort's commander.

~*~

Azmirith fidgets under Threshkor's attempted care. "I'm fine," he says rather tersely. The events in the mess hall seemed to bother him still, but at least he seemed less likely to bite. A bit less. At Butch's lighthearted remark, Azmirith only grunts what could be taken as his agreement.

~*~

When you see the time's come to visit Cecil, whose room is conveniently placed across the hall from your own, you find that your raps upon the door go unanswered.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-22, 09:19 PM
Butch

"I don't think he's back yet... Mr. Cecil should be back soon though." Butch leans against the doorjamb. "You guys get the feeling people don't like us? I've tried to be courteous and professional, but its like I sprouted a second head or something."

Asmodeus
2007-07-23, 06:58 AM
Wrench

Setting aside his crafts for the moment, so the group could speak, Wrench offers his input.

"Unless there is a highly regimented chain of command, bandit groups usually have a single leader. Take him out and the rest of the group scatters, until a new leader can be found, usually one who's less competent than the first., or they join the ranks of some other group in another part of the land. Not a permanent solution, but an effective deterrent. Few people want to be the leader, if they know assassins will be sent after them.

During the period of disorganization, fortify as needed, and maintain vigilance."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-23, 08:38 AM
Butch

"Hmm... That's true. Basically a bounty system. But that still implies an organized group of bandits. I mean what if its just a bunch of disorganized malcontents? Or if they're organized into small cells? Definitely need more information. I mean, I knew about the bandits, but I haven't heard anything about an charismatic leader. All I know is the sheriff's been sent out repeatedly in posse's to ferret out the bandits. Still nothing though."

Butch sucks on his teeth and then sighs.

"You know, the worst part about this is, if the bandits are removed, there wouldn't be any reason to have the way stations. But the way stations would just be a target for the bandits."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-23, 12:48 PM
-- hallway --

While you mill about the door, chatting about future plans, Cecil's familiar voice is heard down the hall. "Ahh, good, you're here. Sorry for not managing to be on time for my own meeting," he says with something akin to a serious chuckle.

You make room for him as he reaches the door, and turns the knob, throwing it open to reveal a room much like your own, but with only one bed.

"You boys should've just gone in. Let's go, I have something of interest to discuss with you. It explains why I was late, too." He slips in between you and heads inside, pushing a freestanding round table into the center of the room. There's only one chair available, but Cecil doesn't bother to sit.

As you file inside, you see him move a few small objects from other locations onto the table, then he produces a parchment from a pocket and unfurls it upon the tabletop, using the objects to secure the corners. You can easily see that it is a map.

"First, gentlemen, the reason why I was late is because I was called in to see Lord ir'Tajar. Seems the riders that had just arrived weren't the ones that were sent out for us--they're expected back in a while. These riders were coming up from the south, scouts that keep tabs on the area between here and Graywall." He seems fairly animated at this point, and waves you all to come closer.

When he's satisfied you're paying attention, with a slightly wrinkled index finger, he points to a spot on the map. "Alright, here's Graywall, a rather sizable city just northwest of the Graywall range, about two-hundred miles, or so, from here." His finger slides down and to the right. "These are the Graywall mountains." The tip of his finger taps a point between two peaks, and he adds, "And here...this is the point of importance."

He looks up briefly, then back down. "Those riders were passing along some information to the fort, about a sighting the Graywall watch had witnessed in that area." He taps the point of importance again. "Seems they've seen an airship disappear down into the valley right about there, and have gotten confirmation that it wasn't due to malfunction, but an attack of some sort, from the ground. Now, I wasn't made privvy to all the details; ir'Tajar was a bit tightlipped on some of it, but we've been offered another job. One he claims is of great importance. If I were to make a judgment, I'd say he was quite serious about it, too."

At this point, he takes the one available seat, sets his hands on the armrests and asks, "Any questions before I go on? I realize, Butch, that you're keen on setting up this waypoint system, and I wouldn't want to drag you away from it if it's important enough to you to deal with immediately. I'm not sure what the rest of you had in mind to do at this point. I will say, though, that this would be a prestige job as well as just another source of gold, and could lead to bigger and better opportunities for us all. And before you ask, yes, there is a reward attached, though here again, ir'Tajar wasn't very forthcoming. He just said that if we're successful, we'll be quite pleased with the returns." Cecil finally settles down and provides you an actual chance to voice your opinions.

Asmodeus
2007-07-23, 01:53 PM
Wrench

"Graywall... Thats in Droaam. Are we to assume that the residents of the monsterous country are responsible? Of course, I'm willing to go. I just wish we had more information."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-23, 03:21 PM
Cecil nodded. "It's possible. Graywall itself, so far as I would guess, wasn't tossing out this information. I would imagine it was relayed via some infiltrating agency to our riders. If you'll notice where the airship was seen to go down..." He points again, at the spot between the peaks, and his words trail off, leadingly.

You look again at the indicated point on the map and realize that while the Graywalls, as a whole, are divided territory, the airship's presumed crash site is in Breland.

Cecil notices your expression, and says, "Exactly. Our territory. Lord ir'Tajar did mention that he had sent a rider to Castle Arakhain to see if they had any further information. He noted that should we accept this task, he will brief those of us involved in further detail."

Slash_712
2007-07-23, 05:18 PM
Threshkor

Coming up to Mr. Cecil (I don't think Threshkor has met him yet) he gives a slight bow and gives his introduction.

"Mr. Cecil, I am Threshkor, a local cleric. I have offered to join you on your journey, assuming that is alright with you. As far as I have been told, you are in dire need of a spiritual consultant."

{OOC- Healer=Spiritual Consultant in non-metagame world for me.}

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-23, 06:04 PM
The older man rises and extends his hand to the cleric. "Ahh, pardon me for not even noticing you. I seem to have gotten rather consumed by the weight of this potential mission."

He remains standing, now properly focused on Threshkor. "Well, I'm not sure we need so much help guiding our souls through this world, at least not yet, but we definitely could use someone with the capabilities I expect you have," he says with an audible scratch to his now rather stubbled chin. He glances back to Wrench as he examines the map, and adds almost absently, "Our fine warforged does what he can to keep us sewn together, but it's not his specialty."

His eyes snap back to your face with a decided shift from thoughtful blank to clearly amiable smile. "So, beyond consulting our spirits, what other sorts of divine works can you offer? Oh, and don't misunderstand, you're more than welcome to join us; I just prefer to take stock of our resources before we need them. And we'll discuss ongoing compensation a bit later; we're nothing if not equitable."

OOC (Threshkor)I don't see your age on your character sheet, so I dunno which side of Cecil's age you're on. Please add it to your sheet. I assumed you're not a geezer like ol' Gray. ;)

Citizen Joe
2007-07-23, 08:30 PM
Butch

Butch raises an eyebrow at the map with a skeptical look on his face. "Sir, you DO realize that..." He stop abruptly casting a furtive glance around. He pokes his head out the door looking for eavesdroppers and when satisfied, closes the door behind him. Bringing everyone close, he whispers. "Sir, clearly we're being set up for an espionage mission. With all these vague rumors and no specific request for aid nor specified reward, the Lord is baiting us into a deniable asset role. If we're caught we'll be on our own because they can't risk a confirmed breach of treaty." Butch stands back up and speaks out loudly. "Sir, I am a loyal guard and Brelander. My position is by your side. Should you choose to accept this mission, I will do my best to make sure it is successful. This mission will require other specialty equipment and I am uncertain how much of a head start the enemy has."

Asmodeus
2007-07-24, 06:46 AM
Wrench

Wrench looks confused when Cecil mentions that the information wasn't coming from Graywall. "I thought you said it was the Graywall watch that spotted the ship. Why would the watch be so far out from Graywall?"

He doesn't say much in response to Butch's observations. They make sense, but they don't seem to bother the warforged.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-24, 10:32 AM
Butch

Butch studies the map and then starts making some comments. "Wow, I didn't realize the trade road was so close. I guess that explains why the shipments have slowed down from Shavalant, they're getting their supplies from the trade road. That's gonna make the Orcbone/Shavalant spur pointless. Strangling Shavalant like that is just going to force more people into banditry." Butch grumbles under his breath.

Butch points at the border line. "See that line? On the map? That's all it is, a line. Map makers like lines but truth be told, the real border is the trade road. Countries may have wars and sabotage each other but you just don't mess with the Houses. So, yea, that area between the official border and the trade road is gonna be a no-man's land. Same goes for all of the Graywalls. Either side can claim those mountains all they like but unless you got boots on the ground to control it, its all bluster. So don't be fooled about that line, if it went down in the mountains, its fair game for anyone."

Butch puts his parted fingers to the map marking off steps. "OK first step is getting to the trade road. As I figure it, we could make a bee line for it, travel very light and push hard at the end of the day to make it there in one day. Or we keep some gear, travel at a reasonable pace and hit the road in two days. The mule would be handy to carry our gear. I'm in favour of the second option since we're headed closer to Droaam territory and I'd like to keep my armour on."

"Once we reach the trade road, we can arrange for a coach to take us most of the way. Probably two, since we'll need the extra room for equipment. That means selling off the mule when we get there. So expect some time spent negotiating and arranging passage. Oh yea, we'll probably need some travel papers, but I'm sure the Lord can arrange that. By coach we're looking at about three days travel to reach this spot." Butch points to the road due east of the crash site. "Now we could hike that distance instead, but that would take closer to eight days, but we'd be relatively safe traveling with the caravans."

Butch nods and then continues, "From there, we're looking at a five day hike across trackless hills before we can make base camp. Unless there's some sort of signal or some means of specifically finding the ship, we could be searching the mountains for weeks without finding anything."

Butch runs the numbers through his head, "So that's at least ten days and about fifteen days if we hike the whole way. And that's after we're all sorted out here in Orcbone."

Butch refers back to the map, "Looks to be about a nine day hike from Graywall if they push straight through. Plus they already have a couple days head start on us. If I were Graywall, my troops would already be at the foot of the mountains."

Butch seems frustrated. "I think you'll have to teleport us there Mr. Cecil."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-24, 04:16 PM
At Wrench's query, Cecil shrugs and offers matter-of-factly, "I'm not sure. That's what I gathered from what little information Lord ir'Tajar was willing to let loose." He seemed almost as bewildered as Wrench would if the warforged could be bewildered.

Butch suddenly became anxious and went through certain peculiar rituals before leaning in to whisper to Cecil. His gaze unfocused a bit as he listened. On parting, and after Butch's subsequent staged melodrama, the older man said, "The ship is said to have landed in our territory, so no treaty I know of will be breached. Your observations are valid, though, but I prefer to believe whatever machinations are involved are necessary. If so, this must indeed be an important task."

The others appeared to be thinking on the situation, but, unsurprisingly, none moreso than Butch. He launched into his trademark flurry of open cogitation, weighing this or that option, baring his precocious grasp of strategic planning. As seems to often be the case, most of it appeared to have gone unheard, at least until the end.

Cecil suddenly laughed freely.

With tears forming at the corners of his eyes, Cecil calmed to a trailing chuckle and said with a broad grin, "Me? No, m'boy, I'm afraid not. That is reserved for far greater scions of the House than me. Instead, why don't we all just go see the commander? He requested I broach the subject of this mission to you, and return within the hour. We might as well see what further details he's willing to provide now that we're all aware of the basic situation."

Cecil rises from the lonely chair and begins to remove the random weights from the corners of the map, stopping after the first one. "Before that, though, I want to know what you think so far? I'd rather not get into ir'Tajar's office only to find my fellows are divided already. And though I believe this job to be worth our while, I refuse to bend to the commander's whim if the rest of you are keen on another direction. I prefer we stand together."

Asmodeus
2007-07-24, 04:23 PM
Wrench

"No need to ask me. I've said I stand with you, Sir."

Citizen Joe
2007-07-24, 08:53 PM
Butch

"I've voiced my concerns, Sir. I only ask that you keep them in mind when you speak with Lord ir'Tajar again."

Slash_712
2007-07-24, 09:55 PM
Threshkor

{OOC- Sorry for not posting earlier. Threshkor is 21, a little old for the standard adventurer.}

In response to Cecil's question Threshkor states..
"I, my friend have very little to offer, but through me, with the help of the Sovereign Host, I have a variety of spells, you could say that do have a restoring affect upon people and animals alike."

Velvet Elvis
2007-07-25, 10:09 PM
Cecil nods and smiles in obvious satisfaction, then completes the task of rolling the map parchment back into its case. With it in hand, he says, "Alright men, let's go find out what this is all about."

He leads you out of his room, allowing Butch to close the door as the last one into the hall. Without further conversation, he leads you out into the central yard and around towards the main tower and in through the heavy, darkwood double doors. There are a number of guardsmen in half-plate, bearing their halberds at attention as you pass, despite your not being in the company of any obvious military escort. Much as before, you travel up the winding inner stairs in the pale reddish glow of everbright crystals, and on down the hallway the stairs land into.

Unlike earlier, there is only a guardsman much like those down below, standing vigil outside the Lord's office.

Cecil stops before him and says, "Cecil d'Orien to see Lord ir'Tajar. I'm...we're...expected." Even before he finishes his short introduction, the guard shoots a gloved hand to the door's latch and and steps inside, leaving the door open to its full extent. Depending on where you've stopped, you can hear and possibly see the guard announcing the arrival of "Cecil d'Orien and his entourage."

The guard's head nods toward an unseen part of the room, and he then turns to nod toward Cecil before stepping back out of the way.

Cecil turns to you, and says, "Follow me," just before stepping inside.

You all enter in a small group to see exactly what your earlier memory provides. The large table, the map upon its surface, and, of course, the pair of dramatic tapestries. This time, however, there are several high-backed, darkly-stained chairs aligned near the table, clearly shifted from their normal position against the wall.

ir'Tajar stands beside the table with one splay-fingered hand resting on the map's edge. His position places him directly across from the empty chairs.

In a deep and appropriately commanding voice, he says to Cecil, "Come forward and take a seat. I trust you've explained the basics to your men?" ir'Tajar's piercing eyes continue to focus his words upon Cecil as the man takes one of the seats before the huge table.

"Yes, sir, I have." He pauses to allow the rest of you to take your seats.

"Excellent! I'm glad to say my confidence in you was not misplaced." He seems genuinely pleased, though he makes only a minor show of it.

ir'Tajar leans forward to pull open a narrow drawer located under the table's edge, out of which he produces a document complete with a smooth, empty circle of sealing-wax at the lower right. He slides it across the desk toward Cecil, but the script is clear and large enough for all of you to read it with little trouble.

The various blocks of text boil down to a contractual agreement to find and recover certain documents known to have been aboard the airship you're already well aware of.

The bulk of the central part of the document is built from the same sort of jargonized officialese most of you have seen at one point or another in the past. None of you come across anything overtly suspicious in your cursory reading. You do, however, note with some amount of relief, that you are clearly sanctioned as adjunct agents of Breland's military, and personally within the scope of ir'Tajar's command.

Next is a description and likely location of the object of your mission: a sheaf of documents that are expected to be within either a small leather satchel or a small wooden box probably located somewhere in or near the ship's main cabin. The sheaf is expected to be sealed with both official Breland and official House Lyrandar seals, and these seals will confidently identify the correct documents.

It goes on to mention that if the documents are not present where expected, you are to perform a thorough search of the general area before considering returning empty-handed. If you discover that the documents are in the possession of some other agency, you are to retrieve them, using all reasonable means.

Further, if you find evidence that the pilot had survived the landing, as with the documents, you are expected to perform a thorough search and rescue attempt in an effort to locate and return with him to Orcbone.

The document's lower half is a short group of clauses more clearly defining your authorizations which include full permission to defend yourselves against any agency that, in any way, moves to or has positioned itself to hinder your task or withdrawal. More importantly, the same set of conditions are stated allowing you to openly engage "if you feel sufficient threat." Apparently, functionally, you are given what amounts to carte blanche to remove anyone that gets in your way, as long as you can reasonably support a claim that you were under threat.

Below the block of clauses is an open section, to the right of which is the unstamped wax seal, ringed with a flat, purple ribbon.

As you reach the end of the last line of script, Lord ir'Tajar pushes forward a small tray upon which sits a single quill pen, a full inkwell and a simple, much-used blotter, currently lying on its side.

The commander says nothing, but his expression clearly indicates he wishes to see the contract signed.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-25, 11:06 PM
Butch

Butch covers the inkwell with his hand and reviews the document intently. He murmurs to himself repeatedly as he reaches certain interesting point, nodding in some cases, frowning in others. With his hand still covering the inkwell, he leans over to whisper some advise to Cecil, "Sir, there is no mention of compensation or financial backing for this mission. As this contract stands, you'd have to sponsor the whole mission with no stipulated reward. Also, I'm concerned about the priorities. Would it be preferable to destroy the package to letting it fall into enemy hands? Where does the pilot fit in, relative to the package?"