PDA

View Full Version : Portable Holes, Antimagic Fields, and a (detached?) Hand -- Rules Question

Demidos
2015-12-21, 09:45 PM
Hey All,
Dm here.

A rules question recently came up in my IRL group. One of my group members just entered an antimagic-field while within a portable hole, while sticking his hand out to maintain a small view to the world.

As he is carried into the field, what would happen?
So far we have a few suggestions:

His hand gets chopped off since the hole ceases to function.
The entire contents of the hole fall out
Nothing happens till he leaves.
?????

Any RAW or RAI that supports or doesnt support any of these?

Jack_Simth
2015-12-21, 10:26 PM
Well, you're largely outside RAW territory. Make a ruling and run with it. I'd be inclined to say he's mostly in the portable hole, so he ends up disconnected from reality... and has a slight issue in that there's only so much air in there. But he potentially has magic to sort it out.

Necroticplague
2015-12-21, 10:28 PM
Since the function of the hole is to create an extradimensional space. If it ceases to function, this created space would collapse. So I think the "dump all it's contents out" would be the most consistent way to take it.

MisterKaws
2015-12-21, 10:37 PM
I'd chop off his hand, simply because D&D doesn't have enough limb-chopping love, even though there are spells specifically made to restore limbs.

Silva Stormrage
2015-12-22, 02:25 AM
Player in question here.

We went with the easier ruling that the character didn't actually enter the antimagic field (The character holding the portable hole would of realized it was an antimagic field due to having his own spells suppressed and not risked entering the area with it.)

The dumping out the contents would of been funny especially since I was using enveloping pits which are like portable holes but 50ft deep and I had stacked two of them so 100ft deep filled with stone walls and floors etc etc. The antimagic field was in a 20 by 20ft room and while my character might of died from the sudden appearance of ludicrous amount of stonework and lab gear etc flooding the room and crushing him, the DM's boss who was sitting in his chambers would also get crushed :smalltongue:

Frankly that would be a decent tactic if we didn't need to take him alive. Just do that again but teleport an enveloping pit filled to the brim with dirt. Teleport it in and watch the room instantly fill to the brim. :smallbiggrin:

The general thing that was confusing is that with bag of holdings you can tell how it is just a normal bag now. Instead of connecting to an extra dimensional space it just functions as a regular bag. But what is a portable hole? It is just a weird napkin fabric right? One that just happens to lead into an extra dimensional space. So if it functioned like a bag of holding and just functioned "normally" what would that mean for a portable hole? Just a regular hole in the ground? A large sack? Hard to say.