PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock spell progression

deathbymanga
2015-12-21, 10:31 PM
you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefi t a character of that class would have gained.

so, if I'm playing a Warlock do I gain extra Invocations or not?

MisterKaws
2015-12-21, 10:46 PM
Complete arcane specifically states that any class which either has arcane caster level x(with no specific level) or "able to cast x", where x is a spell warlock can duplicate, as prerequisites and advances an arcane spellcasting class, can be used to advance invocations. However, you can't advance warlock with, or even enter a class which requires you to be able to cast spells of a specific level as a prerequisite.

deathbymanga
2015-12-21, 10:50 PM
Complete arcane specifically states that any class which either has arcane caster level x(with no specific level) or "able to cast x", where x is a spell warlock can duplicate, as prerequisites and advances an arcane spellcasting class, can be used to advance invocations. However, you can't advance warlock with, or even enter a class which requires you to be able to cast spells of a specific level as a prerequisite.

so, say I'm a lvl 1 warlock and I enter an arcane PrC, I can grab a second invocation, but I can't grab Detect Magic.

Necroticplague
2015-12-21, 10:57 PM
so, say I'm a lvl 1 warlock and I enter an arcane PrC, I can grab a second invocation, but I can't grab Detect Magic.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly it.

MisterKaws
2015-12-21, 11:33 PM

And pretty much only if that arcane PRC only requires a caster level or a spell you can duplicate, otherwise, it's up to the DM to even allow you to advance warlock with it.

The exception is Legacy Champion, that thing completely advances any class you choose, not only in spellcasting, but also in anything other than HD, Skill Points, BAB and Save bonuses.

Troacctid
2015-12-22, 12:38 AM
And pretty much only if that arcane PRC only requires a caster level or a spell you can duplicate, otherwise, it's up to the DM to even allow you to advance warlock with it.

That's incorrect. If the prestige class advances arcane casting, it can work on Warlocks. (I've even seen it argued that, by a strict reading of the rules, it should advance your invoking even if you're already using it to advance a different class's casting, but of course that would just be silly, so you shouldn't give that theory too much credit.) Qualifying for a prestige class might be an issue, but using it to advance invocations shouldn't be.

MisterKaws
2015-12-22, 01:00 AM
That's incorrect. If the prestige class advances arcane casting, it can work on Warlocks. (I've even seen it argued that, by a strict reading of the rules, it should advance your invoking even if you're already using it to advance a different class's casting, but of course that would just be silly, so you shouldn't give that theory too much credit.) Qualifying for a prestige class might be an issue, but using it to advance invocations shouldn't be.

That's on the realm of RAW vs RAI, do you really think you SHOULD be able to train as a warlock for a class that has nothing to do with the warlock?

Troacctid
2015-12-22, 01:13 AM
That's on the realm of RAW vs RAI, do you really think you SHOULD be able to train as a warlock for a class that has nothing to do with the warlock?

If it advances Warlock casting, it clearly has something to do with Warlock.

You can advance casting without requiring casting. Sentinel of Bharrai has nothing to do with Wizard--would you argue that it shouldn't be allowed to progress Wizard casting?

deathbymanga
2015-12-22, 01:58 AM
So, just a follow up. If I only grab 1-2 levels in Warlock and then grab an Arcane PrC that expands Warlock, I can't get Lesser Invocations, only Least ones?

MisterKaws
2015-12-22, 02:35 AM
If it advances Warlock casting, it clearly has something to do with Warlock.

You can advance casting without requiring casting. Sentinel of Bharrai has nothing to do with Wizard--would you argue that it shouldn't be allowed to progress Wizard casting?

That's why I say it's a DM thing, I'd only let a class be advanced by a PrC if the class fits in the pre-requisites, if that's none, it fits in automatically.

So, just a follow up. If I only grab 1-2 levels in Warlock and then grab an Arcane PrC that expands Warlock, I can't get Lesser Invocations, only Least ones?

Actually, you do get it, because invocation upgrades are a part of the Invocations class feature, and advancing a warlock is specified to fully upgrade both invocations and eldritch blast.

deathbymanga
2015-12-22, 02:36 AM
That's why I say it's a DM thing, I'd only let a class be advanced by a PrC if the class fits in the pre-requisites, if that's none, it fits in automatically.

Actually, you do get it, because invocation upgrades are a part of the Invocations class feature, and advancing a warlock is specified to fully upgrade both invocations and eldritch blast.

ok, good to know, thanks

and what about Eldritch Blast?

tropical_punch
2015-12-22, 03:04 AM
and what about Eldritch Blast?

The damage is progressed as if you had taken a level in Warlock, the same as your invocation advancements.