PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arachnomancer clarification

deathbymanga
2015-12-22, 01:12 AM
This is about the Arachnomancer Prestige Class from Drow of the Underdark pg. 65

at 1st level in the Prestige Class you get Handle Spiders, which lets you add a +5 Insight bonus to handle animal checks used against Spiders. However, the class does not require you to get the vermin Trainer feat, which lets you make Handle Animal checks against Vermin like Spiders.

Does this mean that an Arachnomancer can ignore the Vermin Trainer Feat restriction for training Vermin, but only when training Spiders? Or do I still need the Vermin Trainer feat to make a Large Spider my mount?

LTwerewolf
2015-12-22, 01:15 AM
Page 46 explicitly states you must have the feat or levels in vermin keeper, which is referenced by the ability in question. You get a bonus if you have the ability, you get nothing if you don't.

deathbymanga
2015-12-22, 01:20 AM
Page 46 explicitly states you must have the feat or levels in vermin keeper, which is referenced by the ability in question. You get a bonus if you have the ability, you get nothing if you don't.

Ok, and if I have Vermin Trainer and Wild Cohort, do I still need Spider Companion also to get a Spider for a Companion?

LTwerewolf
2015-12-22, 01:35 AM
Wild cohort is specific to animals, and nothing anywhere else changes that.

deathbymanga
2015-12-22, 01:37 AM
Wild cohort is specific to animals, and nothing anywhere else changes that.

So if I want a Spider Companion I'll need to take 3 feats? crap, alright

LTwerewolf
2015-12-22, 01:39 AM
Depends on how liberal your DM is with the definition of some of the effects of handle animal. It wouldn't gain extra HD, but possible to ride one.