PDA

View Full Version : Creating a space-based game

devildog91
2015-12-22, 01:32 AM
I'm generally new to the world of d&d and other tabletop rpgs. I've only been playing for about 3 years now with a small group of friends, and we want to try playing in a universe very roughly based on the Star Wars universe. I have no idea where to start... Skills, races, Weapons, Armor, how combat works... I've only played in the traditional Dungeons and Dragons setting and as the dm i feel like I need something I can build on. I'm very used to the d20 rules and don't know any other system! :smalleek: Does anyone have suggestions on how i could run this game? or maybe a rule book that would help me? My group and I don't generally follow the rules to the mark, and most of our stuff is homebrewed. Im just at a loss about where to start :smalleek:

Thanks!

RazDelacroix
2015-12-22, 01:44 AM
I love space, I love D&D, and I certainly love D&D in space. To help start you off, there is out there in the world/internet the d20 Star Wars book. It does exist! As well in existence is it's own official Star Wars RPG book. If you work with d20 but can't get your mitts on the d20 Star Wars book, you can opt to instead check out the d20 Modern / Future SRD for free!

I'm about to collapse to sleeps myself right now, but if you need additional links or advice feel free to hit me up in the PM for it. I've run a few d20 Future games myself and can lend my sagacious (coughpridevanityegodarksideuncough) advice!

avr
2015-12-22, 01:46 AM
Star Wars Saga Edition is the D&D 3.x system adapted to Star Wars. It's not without its flaws, but I'd look at that before writing a d20 homebrew for the same purpose.

Mutazoia
2015-12-22, 04:15 AM
I'm generally new to the world of d&d and other tabletop rpgs. I've only been playing for about 3 years now with a small group of friends, and we want to try playing in a universe very roughly based on the Star Wars universe. I have no idea where to start... Skills, races, Weapons, Armor, how combat works... I've only played in the traditional Dungeons and Dragons setting and as the dm i feel like I need something I can build on. I'm very used to the d20 rules and don't know any other system! :smalleek: Does anyone have suggestions on how i could run this game? or maybe a rule book that would help me? My group and I don't generally follow the rules to the mark, and most of our stuff is homebrewed. Im just at a loss about where to start :smalleek:

Thanks!

The first bit of advice I can give about creating your own system is: Don't. Unless you are willing to put years into working out all the mechanics and balance, I would suggest running away from that idea as far and fast as you can. It's not a task undertaken lightly, and definitely not something you want to attempt solo.

As others have already stated, there are a few options for running a game that uses D20 rules in the Star Wars universe. If you want to run a space game that isn't the Star Wars universe, I suggest you check out the generic D6 system (There is a Star Wars D6 version at D6holocron.com). It's a fast paced system that is easy to learn and run.

There are also other systems that have steeper learning curves (such as GURPS or, God forbid Palladium (seriously, don't attempt Palladium games unless you are an accountant or a tax attorney)) that you can use as well. Other than D6, I have a soft spot for the old Star Frontiers game....but honestly, there are a ton of space themed RPGs out there to choose from. There are ALIENS based games, DUNE based games, BAB5 based games, games that are based on unique concepts (such as Eclipse Phase). The only trick is finding one that interests you and your group (or using one of the generic systems to make your own theme).

tsj
2015-12-22, 05:25 AM
I would even claim that no-matter what sci fi setting you wish to use,
be it

generic (D2 Future, D20 Modern),
starwars (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game_Revised_Core_Rulebook & http://starwarsd20.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Tracker_Prestige_Class),
startrek (http://www.amazon.com/D20-Prime-Directive/dp/1585640522),
warhammer 40000 (etc.. etc..),
babylon 5,
stargate,
terminator,
aliens, ...

Then you WILL be able to either find a free D20 non-profit ruleset OR a commercial one.

Nobot
2015-12-22, 05:39 AM
The first bit of advice I can give about creating your own system is: Don't. Unless you are willing to put years into working out all the mechanics and balance, I would suggest running away from that idea as far and fast as you can. It's not a task undertaken lightly, and definitely not something you want to attempt solo.

That's a bit pessimistic.

I wouldn't listen to advice like that. You can definitely either build on d20/dnd or make your own stuff!

When I built homebrew stuff for dnd in space, I used this resource (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) to get inspired (and used some stuff from it as well); see 'future' at the bottom. As a spellcaster substitute I used: Psionics (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm)!

Have fun!

Mutazoia
2015-12-22, 06:53 AM
That's a bit pessimistic.

Speaking as someone who has made/is making the attempt, there is a lot of work that goes into making a game that nobody thinks about until they try to play it.

Sure...the OP can try to use the OGL D20 rules, but there is still a lot of work making sure that everything you tack onto it is balanced and actually works with out breaking the game in one direction or the other.

If some one has only been gaming for 3 years, that is not something that you want to take on.

devildog91
2015-12-22, 01:12 PM
Thanks so much! :smallbiggrin: I will definitely at those systems you guys suggested. I didn't even think about balancing everything just perfectly, I really just didn't know what I was getting into.

Thanks Guys!