PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Druids and Storm Bolt

Cwymbran-San
2015-12-22, 04:10 AM
Hi playgrounders, i have another rules question.

Complete Mage states that effects caused by reserve feats are not subject to spell resistance. The feat Storm Bolt lets you throw a 20-foot lightning bolt for (highest level electricity spell)D6 damage. The text does not allow a saving throw.

So, if he wanted to, a druid could memorize Arc of Lightning at 7th level and have a (short ranged) 4D6 electric blast with no save and no SR?

If yes, could he do so while wearing heavy plate armor? He does not need to cast the spell, so i would say yes.

Could he do so while Wild Shaped into, lets say, an eagle or other flying animal? The idea of a lightning-powered strafing run gives me ideas...

Troacctid
2015-12-22, 04:37 AM
Per the errata, it allows a Reflex save for half damage.

A Druid loses her spellcasting if she wears metal armor, so she would no longer meet the prerequisites for the feat. You cannot use a feat unless you meet its prerequisites.

Yes, you can use reserve feats while wild-shaped. Wild shape is based on the alternate form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) ability, so you retain your feats, supernatural abilities, and spellcasting from your original form

DrMotives
2015-12-22, 05:23 AM
You could use heavy plate armor if it's made from a non-metal alternative material, like dragonhide or dwarven stone plate, ironwood, etc. Druids are proficient in heavy armor though, so you'll get extra penalties unless you burn a feat or take a level in a class that grants heavy armor proficiency.

Also, as Troacctid said, any metal armor is a violation of druid code, and results in the loss of all class features, including the spells used to power reserve feats.

Cwymbran-San
2015-12-22, 06:35 AM
Okay, so theoretically, i could don a suit of dwarven stone plate, memorize Arc of Lightning, Wild Shape into a medium-sized bird and play tactical strike bomber. Drop a few heals while gliding along with natural spell.

Nice.

Darrin
2015-12-22, 08:02 AM
Use Darkleaf (A&EG or ECS) instead. Cheaper than mithral, drops the weight category from heavy down to medium (which druids are proficient with), and is non-metallic. Sentira (Secrets of Sarlona) is also probably non-metallic, and has the same properties as mithral, but darkleaf is still cheaper.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-22, 08:48 AM
Okay, so theoretically, i could don a suit of dwarven stone plate, memorize Arc of Lightning, Wild Shape into a medium-sized bird and play tactical strike bomber. Drop a few heals while gliding along with natural spell.

Nice.
Though you wouldn't get the armor bonus while Wild Shaped, and you'd have to be pretty close-in to shoot your lightning bolts. And you'd probably be better off using Call Lightning Storm, but either way the damage is piddly for 13th level. But yeah, you can do it.

yellowrocket
2015-12-22, 09:07 AM
You may as well turn in to something miniscule (forgot the actual d&d size terms) and basically make it appear out of no where. And you're harder to hit.

Though if you cast while flying, what speed are you moving per round. Full, half, or something else? And what part of the move necessary to maintain flight do I cast, do I get to choose the middle if its half or more of my move speed? Cause that could be devastating with the right cone attack. Itd be a whole new way to look at how to use the geometry of the cone to maximize it's impact.

Troacctid
2015-12-22, 09:54 AM
Though if you cast while flying, what speed are you moving per round. Full, half, or something else?
Depends on your maneuverability. If you have average or worse maneuverability, you must move at least half your speed each round in order to remain aloft. If you have good or perfect maneuverability (or the Hover feat), you don't need to move.

And what part of the move necessary to maintain flight do I cast, do I get to choose the middle if its half or more of my move speed? Cause that could be devastating with the right cone attack. Itd be a whole new way to look at how to use the geometry of the cone to maximize it's impact.
The Flyby Attack feat allows you to do this. Note though that Storm Bolt is a line, not a cone--Winter's Blast is the cone one.