PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Magic Items for Grappling (And size increase)

Necrov
2015-12-22, 04:24 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently playing a Fighter 5/Reaping Mauler 5/Moonsea Sky Sentinel 2.

The build is a grapple one, with battle jump and jumping off dire hawks. I'm aware this is a particularly sub-optimal route towards grappling. That's not the issue.

I was wondering what cheap(ish) magic items you can all suggest for grappling and for increasing size, preferably as a swift action. I don't have the Use Magic Device for wands.

Cheers!

Troacctid
2015-12-22, 04:47 AM
Scorpion Claws (Sa) are exotic weapons that strap over your forearms and provide a +4 untyped bonus to grapple checks, even if you're not proficient with them. A bargain at only 160 gp.

Brawler's Gauntlets (MIC) are 1,000 gp and give a +2 bonus on grapple checks for 1 round as a swift action. Only 3/day, though.

For a more expensive option, Gloves of the Titan's Grip (MIC) are 14,000 gp and have 5 charges per day for a +8 enhancement bonus to a grapple check.

And of course, you'll want an item that provides a bonus to your Strength score.

Jowgen
2015-12-22, 07:01 AM
Dungeon Magazine Issue143 p58: Tooth of Ahazu, 6000gp, for a +1 to effective size for all size-modifier purposes; makes you a cleptomaniac though.

Fizban
2015-12-22, 07:40 AM
Also note that grapple checks don't involve any weapon proficiencies, so there's really no downside to using the Scorpion's Claws if you're truly focused on grappling. Rather than the Gloves of Titan's Grip, I prefer the similar Gloves of Fearsome Grip from Sword and Fist: +5 enhancement to grapple (and more) all the time instead of firing automatically a maximum of 3/day, with only 1,000gp increase.

Darrin
2015-12-22, 07:55 AM
I was wondering what cheap(ish) magic items you can all suggest for grappling and for increasing size, preferably as a swift action.

The issue with size increases is you will lose your Reaping Mauler class features, since Clever Wrestling has "small or medium size" as a prereq. The best way to change your size on a semi-permanent basis is Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG). On the other hand, all-day polymorph into a remorhaz (+23 grapple, improved grab, swallow whole, heat) will make any class feature from Reaping Mauler seem like Focused Lexicon. Hence why Leviathan Hunter 3 is generally recommended for Reaping Mauler, since you get Clever Wrestling as a bonus feat regardless of your size.

Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD) has something similar, alter self at will, although this restricts you to creatures within your type. The only large-sized humanoid in 3.5 is the hornhead saurial (Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a)).

There is a way to increase your size for grapple checks without increasing your size: take the Touchstone feat and link it to the Sunken City of Pazar (Sandstorm). Once per day, treat yourself as one size larger for opposed checks and wielding weapons.

If you're just looking for grappling items, Troacctid has covered that pretty well (although Gloves of the Titan's Grip only works 3/day).

Necrov
2015-12-23, 05:07 AM
Also note that grapple checks don't involve any weapon proficiencies, so there's really no downside to using the Scorpion's Claws if you're truly focused on grappling. Rather than the Gloves of Titan's Grip, I prefer the similar Gloves of Fearsome Grip from Sword and Fist: +5 enhancement to grapple (and more) all the time instead of firing automatically a maximum of 3/day, with only 1,000gp increase.

Cheers man, really great advice here. I didn't realise the Gloves of Fearsome Grip existed. I'll take an all day +5 to grapple over a +8 Grapple 3/day for 7 rounds a piece.