PDA

View Full Version : He-man Deity hater

Triskavanski
2015-12-22, 10:09 AM
From my Surviving an evil group thread. The subject has since changed.

Dio Deatherage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=653074)

The world we're playing in is a crazy amalgamation of the different planes. We started off in the area that has been somewhat stabilized as the negative energy plane, and were able to pick up capes that would protect us from the elemental damage of the planar energies.

Magic items are very cheap here as well. Like crazy cheap. A few +1 breast plates sold for enough to give us all only 25gp each. Vendors are selling +1 bucklers for 150 gp.

Endurance might actually be a very useful feat here, as we don't know what kind of environmental hazards we're gonna run into.

I know sword+board is the "bad style" since it lowers my attack damage. I'm planning on mitigating a little of that with some Iajistu focus + Sapphire Nightmare Blade starting next levelish, when I can stop putting points into Knowledge religion for the purpose of Divine Denial. We're using a modified Pathfinder system for skill points incase you're wondering, where class skills automatically get a +3 and everything is a single point.

The result should be I start becoming harder and harder to effect by spells, particularly divine ones that will have get through my saves. I do really need to figure out how to increase those saves higher though, but right now I've got about a 45-55% chance of success on saves vs a caster about my level with 18ish in casting stat. Decent I guess, but I need more.

How can I make this guy even more difficult to take down?

Snowbluff
2015-12-22, 10:24 AM
Atheist? Well, that's straight up awkward with the REAMS of evidence to the existences of various gods and clearly defined abilities that they have in DnD. I think you mean Alatrist.

Book of Exalted Deeds has the Empyreal enhancement, which is good for pushing up saves.

Triskavanski
2015-12-22, 10:56 AM
Basically, his logic is that gods could be killed, new gods could be created. Gods are nothing more than powerful adventurers who got to positions of power. That might be what Alatrist means though, a quick look through google starts showing me movies instead of defining what you mean there.

Does that enchantment require goodness? Cause while I'm LN, There is a tinge more evil in him, but he'll be a little more good than the rest of the rest of the party.

MisterKaws
2015-12-22, 12:26 PM
Polymorph into a protean, alter shape to get Iron colossus's immunity to magic and antimagic field(which allow you to use your SUs regardless), and two other abilities that prevent other stuff.

Triskavanski
2015-12-22, 12:46 PM
How would a crusader interface with my warblade? I'll have to ask the GM about refluffing crusader to be less of a paladin and more of a dedicated fighter, since you know, my guy is suppose to be crusading more against the gods.

He's not really an a-hole though, he doesn't chase down the devoted and beat them with his sword, he has no qualms against most of the clerics that serve. Rather he just doesn't like the gods themselves, and crusades against them.

Inevitability
2015-12-22, 01:21 PM
Do you have ranks in Knowledge (Religion)? Blessing of the Godless is somewhat anti-divinely fluffed, and any evil character can pick it up.

Triskavanski
2015-12-22, 01:24 PM
Yeah, 6th level he's taking Divine Denial so that I can will save even divine spells that don't have saving throws.

I'm also looking for options to fight against Arcane spells as well.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-22, 02:54 PM
Yeah, 6th level he's taking Divine Denial so that I can will save even divine spells that don't have saving throws.

I'm also looking for options to fight against Arcane spells as well.

If you're looking for save stuff, I see you already have Mettle... Moment of Perfect Mind could be a good maneuver to have for will saves. It lets you make a concentration check and use that for your will save. Keen Intellect lets you use your int instead of your wis for will stuff. Faerie Mysteries Initiate lets you use int instead of con for some stuff. Insightful Reflexes lets you swap your int for your dex for reflex saves. There's also an epic feat that lets you use your reflex save instead of other saves iirc, but that's way in the future, and you'll probly wanna plan for things in the shorter term.

Triskavanski
2015-12-22, 03:08 PM
Would Insightful reflexes Stack with the Warblade's ability to add int to reflex saves while still including dex?

Would the crusader's indomitable soul still stack with the arcane resistance from Hexblade? (Since it doesn't stack with pally, but its not the pally saves)

Unfortunately I can't use the dragon magazine things like Keen Intellect. Otherwise I would, since I have no wisdom bonus.

Lagren
2015-12-22, 11:04 PM
From my Surviving an evil group thread. The subject has since changed.

Dio Deatherage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=653074)

The world we're playing in is a crazy amalgamation of the different planes. We started off in the area that has been somewhat stabilized as the negative energy plane, and were able to pick up capes that would protect us from the elemental damage of the planar energies.

Magic items are very cheap here as well. Like crazy cheap. A few +1 breast plates sold for enough to give us all only 25gp each. Vendors are selling +1 bucklers for 150 gp.

Endurance might actually be a very useful feat here, as we don't know what kind of environmental hazards we're gonna run into.

I know sword+board is the "bad style" since it lowers my attack damage. I'm planning on mitigating a little of that with some Iajistu focus + Sapphire Nightmare Blade starting next levelish, when I can stop putting points into Knowledge religion for the purpose of Divine Denial. We're using a modified Pathfinder system for skill points incase you're wondering, where class skills automatically get a +3 and everything is a single point.

The result should be I start becoming harder and harder to effect by spells, particularly divine ones that will have get through my saves. I do really need to figure out how to increase those saves higher though, but right now I've got about a 45-55% chance of success on saves vs a caster about my level with 18ish in casting stat. Decent I guess, but I need more.

Try Defiant from Planar Handbook. It's basically ten levels of "I hate gods and their worshippers." At 3rd level you gain immunity to Divine Power damage. At level 9, all divine casters within 30 feet have to start making concentration checks, or else fizzle. It also has its own divine spell resistance ability.

Snowbluff
2015-12-22, 11:10 PM
Basically, his logic is that gods could be killed, new gods could be created. Gods are nothing more than powerful adventurers who got to positions of power. That might be what Alatrist means though, a quick look through google starts showing me movies instead of defining what you mean there. But that doesn't preclude them from existing... or them doing things that adventurers can't. To have a domain, you have to kill a god, which makes you one, IIRC. :s

Alatrism comes from the Greek Alatreia, which means "without worship." Usually it means thinking gods exist, but not worshiping them because they suck or worship won't do anything for you.

Does that enchantment require goodness? Cause while I'm LN, There is a tinge more evil in him, but he'll be a little more good than the rest of the rest of the party.

Not that I know of. If you're actually evil, you'll get sickened.

Also, Ur Priest would be best if you want to stick it to gods. You get to steal from them, and use their power to mess with people. It requires Iron Will, so it's a good way to go with Divine Denial. They get divine spell resistance, too.

Psyren
2015-12-22, 11:14 PM
Basically, his logic is that gods could be killed, new gods could be created. Gods are nothing more than powerful adventurers who got to positions of power. That might be what Alatrist means though, a quick look through google starts showing me movies instead of defining what you mean there.

Google thought you mean Alastriste, a movie, instead of Alatrism. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alatrism)

Can you boost your saves further? MiC lets you add the effects of cloak of resistance to any other cloak you're wearing at no extra cost, since +saves are associated with that slot.

SangoProduction
2015-12-23, 03:04 AM
Atheist? Well, that's straight up awkward with the REAMS of evidence to the existences of various gods and clearly defined abilities that they have in DnD. I think you mean Alatrist.

Book of Exalted Deeds has the Empyreal enhancement, which is good for pushing up saves.

Actually, depending on the level of deity activity (whether it's frat-party levels, or just indirect messages through cryptic means), it's extremely easy to say that deities don't exist. "I have magical powers" says one cleric of Pelor. "I have the exact same magical powers." says another cleric of 'Good', rather than a deity. "I have magical powers." Says the 5 year old sorcerer. "I have magical powers." Says the guy playing a musical instrument. "....I have a magic sword...that I bought..." Said the fighter.

There is no difference between arcane and divine spells, just different spell lists....and people don't have the books of the game. To the average person, unless converted by a cult, have no reason to differentiate between "god magic" and "book magic"...or "blood magic" or anything else.

I have difficulty believing that, without significant godly intervention, people wouldn't come up with gods. They've already got magic to explain everything.

And then there are the people who have different definitions of what makes a god a god. Some famous philosopher argued that the Roman gods were not gods because they had traits that "gods" did not have, like petty violence and anger and greed, and what have you.

And then you have the people like the Flat Earthers. I don't think I need to explain that further.

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 09:22 AM
It is kinda like if you have a king sitting on a throne you don't believe is really a king. Like he's not worthy of the crown, you might not even recognize the power of the crown. He'll be quite, keep his head down and wait for the moment to expose the sham of a king, that the king isn't worthy of respect or worship, or what have you.

He believes that those who are healers and the like are the ones with the real power, and that their faith is misplaced. Especially in the world he's in now, where gods are dime a dozen (As every god, from every world, is all selecting champions and the like to fight for them in the games.)

Aaanycase.

Defiant does look cool, but the loss of BAB kinda hurts a little and it further extends the anti-divine.

I'm looking at 2 levels of Survivor, that while the BAB loss sucks, the fact that It has high saves, and evasion would make it even harder for the enemy to take me on, as now even things like fireball have a chance to do nothing to me. But 2 levels is all its worth.

Next level I have to have a High BAB class though so I can get my second attack. I'm I'm currently thinking of Crusader in order to gain some healing maneuvers from Devoted Mind. Of course I gotta see if the DM is okay with the refluff.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-23, 09:42 AM
Defiant does look cool, but the loss of BAB kinda hurts a little and it further extends the anti-divine.

I'm looking at 2 levels of Survivor, that while the BAB loss sucks, the fact that It has high saves, and evasion would make it even harder for the enemy to take me on, as now even things like fireball have a chance to do nothing to me. But 2 levels is all its worth.

Next level I have to have a High BAB class though so I can get my second attack. I'm I'm currently thinking of Crusader in order to gain some healing maneuvers from Devoted Mind. Of course I gotta see if the DM is okay with the refluff.

You can regain the BAB by getting access to a Divine Power spell from Ur Priest. Flavor-wise, you literally steal the power of the gods to raise your BAB, saves, etc for the duration of the spell. Really, look at Ur Priest. You can still run up and smack stuff as one AND it's super strong.

Don't go for Survivor. It's a trap. You can get evasion from a Ring of Evasion and there's like no other class features. Your saves will be high enough.

Anyway... seriously check out Ur Priest. It's the god-hating class. Even defiant ends up falling off suuuper hard later. Spell resistance in general does.

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 09:54 AM
Even if its just 2 levels? I understand that a ring could be used, but do I really want to have my ring slot be taken up by that? Is there nothing important at all I'd want?

Also UR-Priest - I have a wisdom of 10.

Psyren
2015-12-23, 09:58 AM
You can also get Evasion via two feats if you prefer - Bind Soulmeld (Impulse Boots) and Open Least Chakra (feet).

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately Magic of the Incarnim isn't allowed. I'll look up what else gets evasion other than rogue/monk.

Psyren
2015-12-23, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately Magic of the Incarnim isn't allowed. I'll look up what else gets evasion other than rogue/monk.

Ranger does too; you can also get "super-evasion" via Divine Oracle, though I'm assuming a divinity-hater wouldn't want that either.

VMC monk gets you evasion without losing any class features, but it costs a lot of feats and requires you to go naked unarmored, which can be a problem.

Andry
2015-12-23, 10:31 AM
He sounds like a member of the Athar to me. https://planescape-center-of-all.obsidianportal.com/wikis/athar

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 10:36 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the survivor of 2 levels is still a trap. My saves go up, I cannot be flanked by anything up to 3 levels higher than me, get evasion, and +3 to all saves. I understand that most of the time having a unyielding force of damage is king and survivor does nothing for that.

VMC is also a pathfinder thing, we're not really allowed any of the PF materials.

Psyren
2015-12-23, 10:52 AM
He sounds like a member of the Athar to me. https://planescape-center-of-all.obsidianportal.com/wikis/athar

Athar is the same as Defiant (at least in 3.5), which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm trying to figure out why the survivor of 2 levels is still a trap. My saves go up, I cannot be flanked by anything up to 3 levels higher than me, get evasion, and +3 to all saves. I understand that most of the time having a unyielding force of damage is king and survivor does nothing for that.

You need 3 Survivor levels for the IUD actually. In that time you will have gained 1 initiator level, no BAB, 2+Int skills and no other class features.

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 11:01 AM
I have Uncanny Dodge already (From Warblade), which should stack with the survivor's for IUD at level 1 survivor, unless I'm missing something here.

Psyren
2015-12-23, 11:17 AM
I have Uncanny Dodge already (From Warblade), which should stack with the survivor's for IUD at level 1 survivor, unless I'm missing something here.

Survivor's UD lacks the "stacking" line found in Rogue and Barbarian. That's likely because it's from 3e rather than 3.5, but there it is all the same.

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 11:21 AM
However the Warblade's UD has the stacking language is the thing. Did I literally have to take survivor 1 first and then take Warblade 2 to get it to actually function properly?

Psyren
2015-12-23, 11:30 AM
However the Warblade's UD has the stacking language is the thing. Did I literally have to take survivor 1 first and then take Warblade 2 to get it to actually function properly?

As written yes, because Warblade's says "if you already have Uncanny Dodge from a different class." Nothing about "if you gain it later."

I would personally houserule it.

Triskavanski
2015-12-23, 11:38 AM
I'll have to ask my DM on that then. Cause if I have to go three levels, that is too many levels. If I can go 2 levels, that is as many levels as I want to spend on getting Evasion, and I don't want to have to take a dead level to get it.

Would Crusader for six level be a good choice? (With the appropriate fluff of crusading against the gods rather than for a god.) It would allow me maneuvers of the devoted spirit, which includes a rather nice method of healing I think.