PDA

View Full Version : Do you still count as your own ally?

Talya
2015-12-22, 10:14 AM
can't find the answer to this on a search.

In previous editions, if you had an ability that affected allies, it also affected your own character. You count as your own ally. Is this still the case in 5e?

Daishain
2015-12-22, 10:41 AM
depends on the wording, if it just says allied creature(s), then generally yes it can affect you as well. If it includes the word other in there, generally not.

Talya
2015-12-22, 01:07 PM
depends on the wording, if it just says allied creature(s), then generally yes it can affect you as well. If it includes the word other in there, generally not.

I guess the example ability I was thinking of didn't even say "ally."

Rally....choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you.

I suppose my own character IS a friendly creature that can hear herself, even if she's not in front of a mirror to see herself.

SwordChuck
2015-12-22, 01:10 PM
I guess the example ability I was thinking of didn't even say "ally."

I suppose my own character IS a friendly creature that can hear herself, even if she's not in front of a mirror to see herself.

You aren't friends with yourself or even friendly with yourself. You are just yourself.

Rally is for other creatures, second wind is for you.

Talya
2015-12-22, 01:11 PM
You aren't ... friendly with yourself.

Any appropriate reply to this would be entirely NSFW. :smallcool:

-Jynx-
2015-12-22, 01:24 PM
You aren't friends with yourself or even friendly with yourself. You are just yourself.

No one is better friends with me than me! What if I have dissociative identity disorder or schizophrenia then can I qualify as friends/ally with myself?

krugaan
2015-12-22, 01:39 PM
whats odd is that the wording for bardic inspiration specifically says ally "other than yourself". I'm voting for you are your own ally.

actually, im AFB and not sure if it says "ally" specifically, but it does say "other than yourself".

SwordChuck
2015-12-22, 01:40 PM
No one is better friends with me than me! What if I have dissociative identity disorder or schizophrenia then can I qualify as friends/ally with myself?

Your mind is at odds with itself and is trying to divorce/move out but due to complications can't bring itself to move out.

JumboWheat01
2015-12-22, 04:12 PM

Look, I've had a lot of arguments with myself, but I don't think I ever hated me enough to not be at least friendly with me, even though me can be a jerk sometimes, especially when he starts eating too many sugary goodies.

Still, unless it EXPLICITLY states that it only affects others but you, I'm pretty sure you could use it on yourself. After all, sometimes you just need to give yourself a pep-talk to get the gumption to go. And there's no pep-talk like a military pep-talk.

SwordChuck
2015-12-22, 04:24 PM
al·ly1
noun
ˈalī/
a state formally cooperating with another for a military or other purpose, typically by treaty.
verb
əˈlī/
combine or unite a resource or commodity with (another) for mutual benefit.
"he allied his racing experience with his father's business acumen"

You are not your own ally. Unless a feature says otherwise.

××××

Note: 5e uses plain English, the common definition for a word not described in the rules is fair use.

Inevitability
2015-12-22, 04:27 PM
whats odd is that the wording for bardic inspiration specifically says ally "other than yourself". I'm voting for you are your own ally.

actually, im AFB and not sure if it says "ally" specifically, but it does say "other than yourself".

It says 'creature other than yourself'.

So I'm just going to assume you aren't your own ally.

krugaan
2015-12-22, 04:41 PM
It says 'creature other than yourself'.

So I'm just going to assume you aren't your own ally.

probably a wise assumption.

coredump
2015-12-22, 04:46 PM
Rally works on "one of your companions", so it would not work on yourself.

Bardic Inspiration allows you to "inspire others" and choose "one creature other than yourself", so it would not work on you.

What "ally" means doesn't impact either of these situations.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-22, 04:49 PM
I usually count creatures as friendly and/or allied to themselves, visible to themselves and within 0ft of themselves. That said it's probably fair to see other things that way. The wording of the game is really fuzzy around these and I wish it was better.

The Grue
2015-12-22, 08:11 PM
al·ly1
noun
ˈalī/
a state formally cooperating with another for a military or other purpose, typically by treaty.
verb
əˈlī/
combine or unite a resource or commodity with (another) for mutual benefit.
"he allied his racing experience with his father's business acumen"

You are not your own ally. Unless a feature says otherwise.

××××

Note: 5e uses plain English, the common definition for a word not described in the rules is fair use.

Emphasis mine. By this definition, your party members aren't allies either since they are not states.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-22, 09:00 PM
Emphasis mine. By this definition, your party members aren't allies either since they are not states.j

wtf are you talking about. One of the players in my game is playing Minnesota right now!

SwordChuck
2015-12-22, 09:12 PM
Emphasis mine. By this definition, your party members aren't allies either since they are not states.

:smallsigh:

This is why we can't have nice things.

MeeposFire
2015-12-22, 11:15 PM
can't find the answer to this on a search.

In previous editions, if you had an ability that affected allies, it also affected your own character. You count as your own ally. Is this still the case in 5e?

Well in 3e you were your own ally but in 4e and Star Wars Saga you were not. I do not recall the term coming up in editions before that so I can't help that.