PDA

View Full Version : Download Festival - an unofficial review

Hoggy
2007-06-12, 11:31 AM
So, I promised me I'd do it, I'm sitting here with a cigarette, some apple juice and my program. Now, let me fill you in on the wonderful musical delights that young me did savour this weekend past.

Friday.

A start time of one o'clock gave me time to shrug off the first-night hangover, which was fantastic. After a spot of lunch, this roving reporter was off to the main stage to watch the very first band of the festival, The Zico Chain. Some fairly standard rock ensued, but it was fun nonetheless, a solid set. They apparantly filmed the video for their next single during the set, so here's to hoping I might be in it.

Moving on, towards the second stage I charged to bear witness to Ill Ninő. Not a band I've ever been particularily into, but a solid set nonetheless, worked the crowd quite well.

After topping up on beer, it was back to the mainstage for a band I was particularily looking forward to - the mighty Megadeth. And whilst they did, as expected, deliver a damn good set, there was something... dissappointing about it. I was expecting a little more voomph or something from one of the biggest names in metal. It was still good, just not as good as I hoped.

Back to the second stage like a yoyo, I caught the end of Saosin. Not a band I'd heard anything by, but they were rather good, other than their vocalist wasn't very good at clean, which kinda sucked, but oh well.

Porcupine Tree. Oh, how I love them and their psychadelic-prog rock shizzle. Steve Wilson is a GOD. I can't think of much to say on them other than they were, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best bands of the weekend. Epic win.

Well, I figured I may as well stay at the 2nd stage from then onwards and get a good spot for later, so I forced myself to sit through Paramore. As predicted, they really weren't my thing. But Hayley Williams is still incredibly hawt.

Then it was one of the craziest bands of the weened, Enter Shikari. These guys rule. Rave-metal has never been so much energetic fun before, and the entire front half of the tent turned into one great big rave-pit. Like moshing, but with glowsticks. It was awesome.

A long wait ensued for the second stage headliners that day, Korn. Back after last year's problems, Jon Davis and co put on a fantastic show, and proved exactly why they are the kings of nu-metal. However, the show was marred by a number of problems. The rather infamous My Chemical Romance were headlining the main stage that night, which at a rock/metal festival was never going to go down well. As a result of that, the better half of 80,000 angry metal fans were trying to fit in a tent probably meant for no more than 10,000 tops. As I'd got to the front earlier in the day, I know full well how painful it was as those other 30,000 who couldn't fit in were ignorant and stupid enough to try. I lost count of the number of people who had to be dragged out of the crowd and taken away on stretchers, and I saw at least 2 mothers who had lost sons/daughters somewhere in the crush. Which was a damn shame, because Korn were on form.

So, friday's roundup:
The Zico Chain - 7/10
Ill Ninő - 7/10
Megadeth - 7/10
Saosin - 6.5/10
Porcupine Tree - 10/10
Paramore - 4/10
Enter Shikari - 9/10
Korn - 6/10

Saturday.

I didn't go and see so many bands on saturday for a few reasons (read: lazy), but those I did see were amongst the best. The day started for young Hoggy at 16.25 with Machine Head. After The Blackening, I was very hyped up for this, and they did not dissappoint - a setlist containing Clenching the Fists of Dissent, Imperium, Aesthetics of Hate, Davidian and Halo amongst others was fan-effin-tastic. The only downside was the sound was a bit dodgy at some points during the set, which really sucked. Would be best band of day if not for that. Grrrrr.

Next up was thee mighty Slayer. The old dudes were top quality, such an amazing setlist, and they sounded much better than when I saw them in October. Rather oddly, there was no Angel of Death IIRC, but that was made up for by the inclusion of Dead Skin Mask. A brilliant set, best of day.

The final band of the day for me were the headliners, Linkin Park. Now, I was dubious about this. I was worried that they'd do mainly stuff from their newest album, and forget their older albums which I preferred. Fortunately, thus was not the case and it was a cracking set with a nice mix of new and old, and if anything, more old. Great job.

Saturday's roundup:
Machine Head - 9/10 (DAMN TECHIES!)
Slayer - 10/10
Linkin Park - 8/10

Sunday.

Onto the last day of music, and a busy one it was, starting with Devildriver. Another band I was looking forward to, another dissappointment, though on a bigger scale than before. Their set just seemed a tad boring, and as for the biggest circle pit ever? Epic fail.

Orange Goblin, on the other hand, were awesome. Another band I'd not heard before but I think I will do again in the future, twas fantasmic. One of the better bands of the day for me.

Following them were Paradise Lost, who were far, far better than when I saw them supporting Opeth last November. They really pulled it off, a fantastic set. Tent was packed.

When Napalm Death took to the stage, I was thoroughly confused, as I'd forgotten they were playing. Really energetic music, a brilliant set - they even played You Suffer, and I'm certainly of the opinion that you have to be something special to perform a 2 second long song and get a great reception for it. Also, they finished the set with a blinding rendition of the Dead Kennedy's Nazi Punks F*** Off, which was awesome. I saw at least 3 guys with swastika paraphenalia walking around that day, so I hope they heard.

Within Temptation, the next band of the day, ought to have been better. The songs they did were very good. However, due to a wealth of technical errors, they only managed to do 4 songs before they had to leave, which was a shame.

Now for a band I was particularily looking forward to, Dimmu Borgir. Those crazy Norweigans delivered well, The Serpentine Offering sounding particularily adorable. Tent was very packed, but I was at the front and had a fine view.

Dream Theatre were also fantastic. Playing mainly their heavier stuff, they went down a storm, and Petrucci was on fine form as usual. Also, I realised how talented a bass player John Myung really is. Stockholm Syndrome was awesome.

Then, finally, I trudged in an exhausted manner back to the main stage for one of the biggest metal bands of all time and headliners of the festival, Iron Maiden. Bruce and the lads were on top of their game, a brilliant set containing many of the classics. The only songs I felt ought to have been included were Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Infinite Dreams, but a man cannot have all. They were awesome.

Sunday's roundup:
Devildriver - 6/10
Orange Goblin - 9/10
Paradise Lost - 9/10
Napalm Death - 8/10
Within temptation - 6/10
Dimmu Borgir - 8/10
Dream Theatre - 9/10
Iron Maiden - 10/10

I did see a number of other bands, but only the odd song or two, and I thought it'd be unfair to judge their entire performance on that.

Anyways, enjoy!

Dib
2007-06-12, 12:19 PM
F***ing pisses me off!! I could've gone but no! My friend had to have a birthday :smalltongue: oh, well... will have to catch it next year...

I can't help but notice you didn't mention Stone Sour... why? oh, and glad to see KoRn back in action :smallbiggrin:

Any chance SlipKnoT will be there next year?

Hoggy
2007-06-12, 02:43 PM
Why did your friend not have his birthday there? What better venue? :smalltongue:

Stone Sour were playing at the same time as Paradise Lost/Napalm Death. It's a shame, I'd like to have seen them, but alas.

As for the third question, Stone Sour have done it this year, they did it last year, so it's a possibility that yes, Slipknot shall be there. I don't see it being likely that the same band would play it three years in a row, and Slipknot'd go down a storm... I can see it happening.

Dib
2007-06-12, 03:52 PM
Actually its a her... :smallannoyed: besides figuring it'd cost a bomb, she probably wanted to go too... stupid MCR lover :smallfurious:

aw man... I wanna know how cool stone sour were... even if Corey shaved his head :smallyuk:

I reallly hope so :smallbiggrin: I must go next year if they are :smallbiggrin:

I like smilies :smallcool:

Mr the Geoff
2007-06-17, 08:30 AM
Ah I spent the entire weekend at or near the main stage.

I didn't get a chance to see Korn because I was watching Velvet Revolver and, by the time they were finished, noone was getting within 100 yeards of the Dimebag stage to see Korn.

I've seen Korn before, I've never seen Slash in the flesh so it was an easy choice for me. Plus I got to watch MCR die a hideous on stage death, which was at least amusing. It was like a car crash, I had meant to go back to my tent but couldn't pry my eyes away from the acres of green grass in front of me. The crowd was actually smaller than any other main stage band of the weekend. Hell Yeah had double the crowd and they were on at midday on Sunday!

While I am in no way a follower of Stone Sour, and don't have any of their stuff on cd, by sunday I was welded to a chair in the main stage area with a sussession of cold beers appearing in my hand, so I really couldn't manage the walk to see Paradise lost (Machine Head/Slayer/Marilyn Manson/Linkin park the previous night had broken my ageing rocker body pretty hard). So I got to see the stone sour set and yes they did do a damn good job of it from where I was sitting.

Evanescence were memorable too for the same reasons as MCR. Heckled and bottled so bad that whatsherface the lead singer was pretty much pleading to the crowd to let them finish their set. Whoever put Evanescence on right before Maiden must have been the same person responsible for Daphne and Celeste at Reading a few years back.

However surprise act of the weekend for me were Bowling for Soup. I had mentally dismissed them as dull Blink 182 style skate punk but words cannot describe how awesome they are live. The total antidote to MCR, they had a fantastic time up on stage, and got the whole crowd involved as well. That and anyone who has had Kerrang tv on for more than a couple of hours ever can sing along to almost all of their set.

Here's a couple of photos courtesy of my camera happy friend Fi.

Velvet Revolver (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=123795&id=596196624&l=80045)
the "audience" for MCR (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=123797&id=596196624&l=80045)
For comparison, here's Machine Head with a real crowd (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=123801&id=596196624&l=80045)

Hoggy
2007-06-17, 11:38 AM
I'm kinda gutted I was too busy festering in the midday sun to get off my arse and go see BFS.

Ah, Machine Head, how awesome they were... I'm probably somewhere in that picture seeing as it's of the area where me and my friend were standing, but I can't see me. I think I'd be about one, maybe one and a half centimetres below the England flag in the middle of the pic. :smallcool:

I was kinda gutted about missing Slash as well, but really, the only reasons I'd be going to see VR were for Slash and Slither. On the other hand, I rather like Enter Shikari and like Korn, so I went with that option instead, and paid for it in ribs.

I did kinda expect Hellyeah! to get a semi-decent crowd whatever, just for the Vinne-Paul lovers. I personally was still nursing a hangover, and wasn't that fussed anyways, but I could see a fair few people going for the 'novelty'.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-17, 11:56 AM
IRON MAIDED WAS THERE!!! *Dies* Damn it, you should have invited me.

Mr the Geoff
2007-06-17, 02:15 PM
I must admit I saw Hell Yeah from the hangover busting invirons of the Jose Cuervo frozen margarita stall, but I still got a good view and a good hear and, what with Pantera being my first ever metal gig way back in 1994 I do have a soft spot for Vinnie Paul.

I missed out on the Korn broken ribs fest but I did get far too near the front for Linkin Park and got my fair share of bottles to the head and unidentified bruises, oh and some Scotsman in a kilt crowd surfing over me, which is a view I never ever want to see again.

Hoggy
2007-06-17, 04:05 PM
Raistlin: My bad, but you are invited for next year. I know I'll be there unless I'm dead or something equally delibitating. :smallwink:

Geoff: I lol'd at the last bit. Sounds like a larf. :smalltongue: I also envy you terribly at having had the oppurtunity to see Pantera live, you lucky bugger you. I didn't get too close to the front for LP (fortunately, by the sounds of it), but was in the 'pits most of the time - got my fair share of bruises anyways. :smallwink:

Mr the Geoff
2007-06-17, 04:50 PM
Think I'm just showing my age there though to be honest. However Pantera was a bit of a baptism of fire for a 16 year old.

"Hey let's get right up the front before they start, how bad can it be?"

These days I am too old for all day pit action (i still ache now) plus I have seen most bands I want to multiple times (think I am in double figures with Metallica now, if I am not I will be by July 8th) so standing near the back drinking beer tends to be the most I can handle, but that was the first time I had seen Linkin Park so I made a special effort.

Hoggy
2007-06-18, 01:50 AM
think I am in double figures with Metallica now, if I am not I will be by July 8th

hatehatehatediediedie

Heh, my first gig (unless you count Glastonbury age 12) was Winnebago Deal. Awesome band, though their album work really lacks something compared to their live sets.