PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ballistic Blast

Levism84
2015-12-22, 01:54 PM
I was looking to build a warlock gunslinger, but wanted to focus on eldritch blast more than a pact weapon. In the Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic article, the warlock can gain access to the Arcane Gunslinger invocation. However, I wanted to design an invocation that would cosmetically conceal the magical nature of a warlock's eldritch blast by making it look like a typical firearm, while mechanically replacing the force damage of eldritch blast with the piercing damage of modern firearms.

BALLISTIC BLAST
Prerequisite: eldritch blast cantrip
As a bonus action on your turn, you can create an illusory sidearm in a free hand. The sidearm remains until you use a free action to dismiss it or let go of it (also a free action). When you cast eldritch blast while holding this illusory sidearm, aiming the sidearm and pulling the trigger replaces the somatic components of the spell and the loud discharge of the sidearm replaces the verbal components. In addition, each beam you fire is transformed into a phantasmal bullet that deals piercing damage instead of force damage.

I feel the language is a little "wonky" and wanted some input from the forums as to how to clean it up to be more concise and player friendly.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.