PDA

View Full Version : Is this evil druid motivation viable?

RoboEmperor
2015-12-22, 02:33 PM
This evil druid has the following mindset:
Clerics suck because they're begging for spells from their deity, and is enslaved to do their will. No freedom.
Arcane Magic sucks because the weave is controlled by a god, and dead magic zones are a thing.

Druid magic however, is drawn from nature, and nature is something a mortal can control.

So now he's on a mad quest to turn the entire world into a jungle. He's going to annihilate every civilization and force everyone to live like jungle folk.

So, does such a character have access to druid magic?

Would you say he worships nature? He's spreading it, he's protecting it, and he thinks nature is the best (in a tool kind of sense, like assault rifles are the best instead of shotguns), but he wouldn't die for nature.

Also he plans on making constructs, which is technically enslaving earth elemental spirits. Would this revoke his druid powers?

Flickerdart
2015-12-22, 02:45 PM
The druid's reasoning about clerics is off - just as a druid reveres nature, a cleric can revere an ideal. Hell, you can have a cleric of nature. If you are playing with the Weave, then it's Faerun and neither clerics nor druids can gain power without deity worship. Even if you aren't, there are still nature gods who control it.

Annihilating civilization with jungle is totally down an evil druid's alley. One need not die for nature to revere it.

As for losing powers from constructs...a druid only loses his class features when he changes to a wrong alignment, teaches someone the secret language, or ceases to revere nature. Does making constructs count as not revering nature? There are stone, clay, and flesh golems - all more or less natural. There are rope golems and web golems and dragonbone golems and sand golems. But there are also golems made of metal, and those you want to avoid tangling with.

RoboEmperor
2015-12-22, 03:07 PM
@flickerdart

Wait are you saying non-forbidden realm wizards and sorcerers don't use the weave?

Also, what you said about clerics is absolutely correct, but I'm giving my druid ignorance on the subject matter on purpose so he becomes a druid, because I want to play a druid :P.

One last comment: Why is metal golems bad for druids? Metal is earth is it not? I know druids are banned from wearing metal armor but... Iron golems and colossi are my favorite golems >.<

Temotei
2015-12-22, 03:10 PM
@flickerdart

Wait are you saying non-forbidden realm wizards and sorcerers don't use the weave?

He said that in Faerun, clerics and druids need to worship deities to gain powers.

Flickerdart
2015-12-22, 03:13 PM
@flickerdart

There is no such thing as the Weave in anything except Forgotten Realms.

One last comment: Why is metal golems bad for druids? Metal is earth is it not? I know druids are banned from wearing metal armor but... Iron golems and colossi are my favorite golems >.<
Metal is earth in the same way that people are animals - technically yes, but actually no. You're on shaky ground as it is with the constructs.

RoboEmperor
2015-12-22, 03:18 PM

Then where does the magic come from outside forgotten realms? o_o.
Like you said outside Faerun clerics draw magic from ideals, druid draw magic from nature, but how about sorcerers and wizards?

Draconium
2015-12-22, 03:21 PM
Like you said outside Faerun clerics draw magic from ideals, druid draw magic from nature, but how about sorcerers and wizards?

Sorcerers draw upon their magic through inborn power, while Wizards learn to manipulate the arcane arts through study and practice. As for where it comes from... That depends upon the setting, but in most cases I'm familiar with, it simply exists as an integral part of the multiverse.

Flickerdart
2015-12-22, 03:28 PM
Nowhere. It just is, the same way that psionics just are, both in FR and in other settings.

Susano-wo
2015-12-22, 06:57 PM

Metal is earth in the same way that people are animals - technically yes, but actually no. You're on shaky ground as it is with the constructs.

I would say the issue would be whether or not you could take chunks of whatever metal on hand, or if you had to mine and smelt and such. The latter represents a clear plundering of nature in line with druids normal restrictions, the former is using natural, unworked metal. Which I think does elminate the standard golem construction methods, but working with a GM might allow for creative solutions. (though a hybrid stone.bone/etc golem with reinforced metal parts might be more workable

The Viscount
2015-12-22, 08:37 PM
This motivation is fitting for a druid. If you need some support for it, one of the Druidic Sects of Eberron (the Ashbound Sect) is about breaking down civilization to save the wild.

As for druids enslaving elementals, it's not that against nature's will, since Elementals aren't from the Material Plane. The act of making them may be against nature since constructing something like an Iron Golem would involve purifying the iron ore and pulling it out from the ground. I think it might be all right to use some other sort of golem, though.

RoboEmperor
2015-12-23, 07:27 PM
Ok thanks you all for your input :)

YossarianLives
2015-12-23, 07:32 PM
Magic. Don't question it.