PDA

View Full Version : Control Air - Tornado mass production?

DrMartin
2015-12-22, 03:59 PM
hello Playground,

I'm wondering if I'm reading this right. The Control Air power allows to increase/decrease the wind speed by up to 60 miles per hour, in a 50ft radius spread within long range (400ft + 40 ft/lvl), with a duration of concentration (up to 1 min. per level).

so a character manifest it once, delegate concentration duties to his petrock through solicit psicrystal, and then manifest it twice more (once normally, once through schism), for a total of +180mph in the affected area - that is a tornado, according to the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#tableWindEffects).

Assuming this is correct so far, how does it actually work? The tornado moves at about 250 feet per round, that means it exits the spell area of effect almost immediately. Does it cease to exist as soon as it leaves the 50ft spread, or does it keep going for the 1d6x10 minutes that a tornado typically last? If that's the case, does a new tornado appear in the next round, since the wind in the affect area is still going at 180+ miles per hour?

erok0809
2015-12-22, 04:05 PM
I don't think each use of control air would stack, as it's multiple effects from the same source. I think you'd just get +60 mph, not +180.

ace rooster
2015-12-22, 04:19 PM
Ignoring the fact that it doesn't stack, what you would get would be tornado force winds, rather than an actual tornado. The tornado entry in the weather section is as it is because the only natural situation where tornado force winds apply is in a tornado, which behaves very differently from the other wind types.

DrMartin
2015-12-22, 04:27 PM
ahahh, good call. I was going off the modifier to the wind speed not having a a type, and untyped bonuses stacking with each other. Forgot about the "same effect in the same area" not-stacking rules.

ok that brings a bit of sanity back.

Still, let's say that same psion manifest control weather (on the psion list thanks to some Eberron book) to bring the wind speed to hurricane level (120+mph), and then manifests control air to bring the wind in the small 50ft radius spread area to 180+mph, generating a Tornado. What happens next?