PDA

View Full Version : Druid Build Help

Mjr Lee Fat
2015-12-22, 05:15 PM
Hey guys. I'm helping a friend make herself a druid, and we were trying to figure our what she should prestige into. We were wondering if there were any prestige classes that either did more stuff with animal companions (such as giving them better or more abilities) or focused more on making wild shape better. I realize that that's all kind of ambiguous, but it's what I've got. Or, you could just tell me your favorite builds for druids because we're always looking for more options.

Also, I can't quite remember, but is there a feat that allows a druid to cast spells in wild shape form?

Thanks!

Flickerdart
2015-12-22, 05:20 PM
Also, I can't quite remember, but is there a feat that allows a druid to cast spells in wild shape form?
Natural Spell.

Check out Planar Shepherd and Master of Many Forms for wildshape improvements, and also feats like Exalted Wild Shape.

DMVerdandi
2015-12-22, 05:24 PM
1. Don't Prestige.
The only class worth prestiging for druid is Planar Shepard, and since you don't already know that, I am assuming you don't have enough experience in the game to not break it.

2. The feat is natural spell in the PHB

Here is my advice. Play Druid to 20. It is easily one of the best builds in the game anyway. Prestige classes are mostly fluff outside of the full caster progression ones, so any fluff that comes from the class, you can do it yourself. Be creative when discribing your druid and you won't feel the need to mess with the mechanics to make a statement.

If you are interested in Big cats for example, you don't need a lion-tamer class. You can simply summon lions, wild shape into lions or other big cats, and have one as an animal companion. That is the majesty of the tier one class, you have the absolute range of motion necessary to do what you want to do.

Learn the druid spell list. That is your primary asset. Then focus on 3 animals, one for land, air, and sea. Those are your wild shapes/Natures allies.

Hiro Quester
2015-12-22, 05:43 PM
If you areinterested in big cats, the exalted prestige class Lion of Talisid is pretty close to straight Druid.

You trade two levels of wildshape progression for fear immunity, the exalted companion feat (a significant power and flexibility boost there), pounce in all wildshape forms, a haste self ability, and 3/day lion's roar that is a holy word spell plus sonic damage.

eggynack
2015-12-22, 07:22 PM
1. Don't Prestige.
The only class worth prestiging for druid is Planar Shepard, and since you don't already know that, I am assuming you don't have enough experience in the game to not break it.
Untrue. There's a pretty solid number of neutral or positive value prestige classes for druids. I think I hit all of them in my handbook, so that's a reasonable place for the OP to go. Not too much high quality companion or wild shape stuff, which could prove problematic, but there's stuff worth using.

Twurps
2015-12-23, 07:54 AM
To answer OP's other question: PrestigeClasses that boost your Animal companion include:
-Beastmaster (gives up to 3 companions): no spellcasting and no wildshape so definately lower power than a druid. Might be nice if you're not going for a tier1 game.
-Arcane Hierophant (dual casting progression, lets you combine animal companion and familiar boosts): I wouldn't recommend this for a new player though.