PDA

View Full Version : How is the CL of an oil determined?

MonkeySage
2015-12-22, 08:31 PM
Lets say that I've got an Oil of Resist Energy. As the applier, I get to pick what type of energy to resist.

But does the applier also determine the caster level, or was that predetermined by the brewer?

The difference between potions and oils is that the applier can control the effects of the oil as they apply it, while the effects of potions are predetermined.

Certain oils, like Resist Energy, have a minimum caster level above 1, so if the caster level is determined by the user, then non casters would not be able to use them.

Nifft
2015-12-22, 08:40 PM
The minimum level is indeed the minimum level necessary to cast the spell.

The actual level is set by the brewer, at any value between the minimum and the brewer's own level.

The actual level of the oil or potion counts towards the price (and that means the XP cost), so many potions & oils are prepared at the minimum level.

Bronk
2015-12-22, 09:47 PM
Lets say that I've got an Oil of Resist Energy.

'Resist Energy' only comes as a potion. The spell affects a person, so it is imbibed. An oil would be applied to an object.

As the applier, I get to pick what type of energy to resist.

They come as 'Resist Energy (type)', so the energy is set when it is made. You have to buy separate potions for each energy type.

But does the applier also determine the caster level, or was that predetermined by the brewer?

As Nifft mentioned, it's determined by the brewer for potions. Probably for oils too, but not definitely, because there are actually zero rules for creating them (i.e., the Craft Potion feat never mentions oils). Presumably they just show up in stores through some unknown means (or possibly by Midgaard Dwarves, who can make anything, or wishing, etc.).

The difference between potions and oils is that the applier can control the effects of the oil as they apply it, while the effects of potions are predetermined.

All effects are set at the time of manufacture. The only real difference is that potions are for a person to drink, and oils are applied to objects.

Certain oils, like Resist Energy, have a minimum caster level above 1, so if the caster level is determined by the user, then non casters would not be able to use them.

You're all set there, as the caster level is determined by the manufacturer. Although they can be made more powerful, by default, potions bought found as treasure are brewed (and oils too, presumably) at the minimum caster level of whatever spell it is, or the minimum caster level for the effect stated on the chart for potions/oils like greater magic weapon, bark skin, and so on.

Jeraa
2015-12-22, 09:56 PM
Lets say that I've got an Oil of Resist Energy. As the applier, I get to pick what type of energy to resist.

The only difference between potions and oils is how they are used. You drink potions, and rub on oils. Other than that, they follow the same rules.