PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Initiate of Mystra Questions

Doctor Despair
2015-12-22, 09:44 PM
Simply put, is there any way for a character to use Initiate of Mystra and cast ninth level arcane spells by level 17? I feel as though there's some advanced progression Prc I'm missing, or some other useful, silly somesuch like that, but I just can't seem to spot it.

ben-zayb
2015-12-22, 10:06 PM
Not exactly level 17, but here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19228600&postcount=1).

Doctor Despair
2015-12-22, 10:27 PM
Not exactly level 17, but here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19228600&postcount=1).

That's pretty silly, haha. I was hoping to see something without NI/I stats though, only because I don't feel the build I'm considering needs it. Simplicity is elegance and whatnot, though this monstrosity is hardly going to be simple when I try to put it to paper.

Anthrowhale
2015-12-22, 10:47 PM
A cleric could straightforward qualify for Initiate of Mystra and Southern Magician (via Anyspell). If the cleric also became a Hathran, you could do it by level 12.

And if you want access to wizard spells specifically, then start as an archivist, pick up a domain from some prestige class, use Hathran levels to qualify for Initiate of Mystra, and use one of several ways to scribe a wizard spell as divine.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-22, 11:23 PM
...And if you want access to wizard spells specifically, then start as an archivist, pick up a domain from some prestige class, use Hathran levels to qualify for Initiate of Mystra, and use one of several ways to scribe a wizard spell as divine.

So Archivists, if I'm understanding this, can potentially learn any arcane spells so long as they can find a scroll of it that is divine? I'm confused how one would do this.

Curmudgeon
2015-12-23, 12:23 AM
So Archivists, if I'm understanding this, can potentially learn any arcane spells so long as they can find a scroll of it that is divine? I'm confused how one would do this.
No, Archivists can still only learn divine spells. It's just that many spells appear on both arcane and divine lists.

Khatoblepas
2015-12-23, 12:56 AM
No, Archivists can still only learn divine spells. It's just that many spells appear on both arcane and divine lists.

I don't think that's quite true. If an Archivist finds a divine scroll with a spell on it, they can learn it. It doesn't matter what class list it is on, since Archivists don't have class list restrictions, only the restriction that they learn the spell from "a divine scroll".

If you have a Wizard with Alternative Source Spell, they can scribe a scroll of any spell they know as a divine spell (It is a metamagic feat, so you can use it with item creation) and the Archivist would be able to learn it.

Also, Hexer could allow direct access of Sorc/Wiz spells, Divine Bard gives easy access to bard spells. Heck, I think you could get every spell in the game using Alternate Source Spell and some kind of caster. Part of me wonders if you could have an Archivist with that feat, and cooperate with other casters to scribe the scrolls you want using cooperation.