PDA

View Full Version : Human variant feat for sun soul monk. What's good?

Darkzekkai
2015-12-22, 11:38 PM
I'm making a human Sun soul monk and I don't know what to get with the free feat. What works well with the monks abilities? Or what's just fun? I thought about martial adept but it won't work with the ki blasts. Or I could get magic initiate- warlock for eldritch blast and hex. But the monk abilities don't work with eldritch blast. So I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts?

Kane0
2015-12-22, 11:41 PM
Mobile is always good so you have less problem choosing between punches and blasts. Lucky is also a great pick for anything.
Or you could go with alert or observant, both of those are neat additions to your abilities. The same with skilled.

If you can get your DM to bend the rules a bit, Warcaster or Spell Sniper may apply.

Foxhound438
2015-12-27, 05:45 PM
depends on what you want to do. If you want to stay at range and use your sun powers, mobile does nothing for you. a lot of people like magic initiate for hex, since it gives you extra dpr against one big baddie per day. observant and alert are both good.

Submortimer
2015-12-27, 07:06 PM
I'm making a human Sun soul monk and I don't know what to get with the free feat. What works well with the monks abilities?

Echoing a few ideas, I think the best options are:
- Mobile: makes getting into position to maximize Arc Strike's damage much easier.
- Lucky: Because Lucky
- Magic Initiate - Warlock: Take Greenflame blade, Hex, and whatever other 1st level spell you want.
- Alert/Observant: only if your Wis and Dex are maxed, or at 1st level
- Crossbow Master: Situational, not specifically needed for this build because you can hit people with your fists, but allows you to Ki Blast in melee without problems.

Strill
2015-12-27, 07:17 PM
Mobile is a huge waste. You've already chosen Sun Soul to get a ranged attack on top of your high movement speed, so putting an entire feat into avoiding that one single situation where an enemy was too far away is ridiculous.

recapdrake
2015-12-28, 01:46 AM
Mobile is a huge waste. You've already chosen Sun Soul to get a ranged attack on top of your high movement speed, so putting an entire feat into avoiding that one single situation where an enemy was too far away is ridiculous.

Mobile is really good for kiting and as mentioned for using with radiant burning hands. Also being able to keep up with a warhorse by level 10 is really really nice in chases, and with your ranged boost you effectively have a reach of 90 ft at 10th level. That covers all but the most massive of battlefields.