PDA

View Full Version : The Dusklands IC

UristMcRandom
2015-12-23, 12:25 AM
After many days' hard trekking through the wilderness, you've found yourself at your destination: the ancient Dwarven city of Tath-Kegeth. Your goal: to discover why a merchant caravan from Redbrook, a week's hike to the north, is four weeks overdue to return. Tath-Kegeth sits on the edge of the region of the world known as the Dusklands - a terrible place filled with goblin bandits, and wandering orc tribes - as the last bastion of true civilization in this part of the world.

Standing on a hilltop beneath the brilliant eternally-orange sky - the phenomenon from which the Dusklands take their name - you gaze upon the entry to the city below: an artificial stone plateau with a large ramp made of stacked blocks leading up to it, then to a towering gate seemingly hewed from the side of the mountain. The smoking remnant of what appears to have been a bonfire sits in the center of the plateau, and the gates of the city stand shut.

UrsusArctos
2015-12-23, 09:40 PM
Kalathiel had been sent out with this robot and a human to find what had happened to a lost trade caravan. It was a simple job, and not too interesting for him. The human had run into around town

However, it paid him to wander another unexplored region for the Order of the Natural World. One of the many explorers employed by the order, it was Kalathiel's sworn duty to map the regions he passed through. Thanks to his ability to turn into a bird, he could obtain accurate bird's eye views of the regions.

"Well, no point waiting. Let's go forward into the city, shall we?"

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 09:42 PM
If you're so eager, lead the way, Scarlet says, surprisingly sarcastic for a robot.

UristMcRandom
2015-12-24, 12:48 AM
As you top the ramp onto the plateau, you find it empty save for the smoldering remains of the bonfire and a few large holes, covered with rusted metal grate.

The holes are probably ventilation ducts for the great forges far below. The grates are to keep careless people from falling in, though some of them appear to be in sorry shape.

Closer inspection of the bonfire reveals that it is not truly a bonfire - rather, it's the charred wreck of a wooden wagon and the corpse of at least one mule, though that's all you can identify without actually sifting through the wreck.

Jormengand
2015-12-24, 07:50 AM
"We-heeeell, that explains where our caravan's got to... and doesn't explain at all why it got there. Uhm, anyone feel like searching through all that junk? 'Cause I don't." Rose wasn't taking this completely seriously, though she was certainly on edge. To be sure, she'd been in worse situations. But there was one thing bugging her.

"Say," she wondered aloud, kicking the grate, "What'cha think's down there? I bet they use these holes to chuck stuff that they don't want around. And if they've just been burning our caravans, well..."

Rose trailed off, having apparently claimed at least partial ownership of or responsibility for the caravans, and looked to the others for affirmation.

UrsusArctos
2015-12-24, 07:07 PM
"I, for one, do not mind going through this wagon. It may not be our caravan. I expected that to be a bit larger. While I prefer the use of air and water, I am trained in manipulating all the elements."

Kalathiel walked up to the wagon and telekinetically ripped the fire from the wagon, throwing it onto the stone platform, where it would have no fuel to continue burning. Once the fire had been taken from the wagon, Kalathiel began to sift through the wagon.

Jormengand
2015-12-24, 07:13 PM
Rose stared. "Neat trick. Well, I'll leave you to it I guess. Let me know if you find anything cool!"

JNAProductions
2015-12-24, 11:45 PM
Scarlet keeps an eye out, scanning the distance for anything that might try to surprise the group.

UristMcRandom
2015-12-25, 04:29 PM
When Rose kicks the grate, she notices that the bars budge a little, and some cracked pieces of stone break free and fall into the darkness below.

As Kalathiel digs through the wreck, it becomes clear that there was at least one other wagon here (which has at this point burnt down to little more than ash), as well as at least two more mule corpses. There are no signs of any human remains, or any of the supplies that the caravan was hauling. You do note that the mules have suffered more damage than just by fire - their legs have been broken by some form of blunt instrument and their hides bear deep gashes.

You don't see anything.

JNAProductions
2015-12-25, 04:30 PM
So what's the deal here? What are we looking at? Scarlet asks Kalathiel.

UrsusArctos
2015-12-25, 11:26 PM
"Well, there are what's left of two wagons - the number in the caravan - and the skeletons of several poor mules. No trade goods or humanoid remains either." Kalathiel responded to his constructed companion.

"And one more interesting item of note: These mules were killed before they were burned. I noticed damage to their legs. Broken and slashed."

UristMcRandom
2015-12-28, 09:53 AM
The silence on the plateau begins to become deafening as you all realize just how deserted this place is. The gate to the city looms tall and ominous above you, as though foreshadowing things to come.

The stillness is interrupted by a low rumble from the east - a storm is approaching.

Everyone make a Spot check.

JNAProductions
2015-12-28, 11:05 PM
[roll0]

Storm coming in, Scarlet remarks. She mutters a few words and a shield-sized dome of force appears over her head, working as a makeshift umbrella for when the rain arrives.

Casting Shield. If you feel that's too metagamey, even with the logic provided, I'll edit this post to not have it up.

UristMcRandom
2015-12-29, 02:56 PM
Atop the gate-tower, you spot a dwarf with a shortbow. He has an arrow nocked, and appears to be aiming at your party.
You see nothing.
Surprise Round! Scarlet is unaware of what's going on, but Kalathiel and Rose can react to the roof-dwarf with the bow. Just to save time and hassle, I'm going with group initiative using the best modifier from those who know that combat is happening

Dwarf initiative: [roll0]
Kalathiel + Rose initiative: [roll1]

After the surprise round is resolved, JNA, you will just join the rest of the party in the turn order.

UrsusArctos
2015-12-29, 05:21 PM
Kalathiel spotted a dwarf atop a tower, aiming a crossbow at him and began to react in combat. His body shifted, becoming avian and sprouting black feathers. His legs turned into bird-like talons and his face grew a beak.

From one of his many waterskins, he pulled out a blast of water and flung it at the dwarf in the tower with his elemental control.

"Try to keep him alive. I wish to interrogate him."

Activating Monstrous Beast Skin Exhibition as a move action. I then use Land-Strike Wrath to make an unarmed attack at the dwarf from however far away I am. If it is 30 feet or less, then attack below is as follows. If it 30-60 feet away, then the attack is made at a -2 penalty. Also, dealing nonlethal with the unarmed attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

HP: 24
AC: 19

Jormengand
2015-12-30, 09:03 AM
Rose, on the other hand, just shoots the guy with a longbow. Because hey, why not?

[roll0]
[roll1] (Confirm if I threaten)
[roll2] (Damage if I hit)

UristMcRandom
2015-12-30, 01:31 PM
Struck by an arrow and a blast of water, the dwarf slumps to the ground apparently unconscious. Suddenly, however, you hear a great clanking noise as the massive gates of Tath-Kegeth swing open. A squad of four dwarves comes marching out in diamond formation, wielding vicious-looking waraxes in one hand and carrying large shields in the other. The first three are dressed alike in scale mail, but the fourth marches behind the others and wears a blood-red cloak and hood over his mail. The cloaked one gives a shout, and they come to a halt, two of them strapping their axes to their bodies and drawing shortbows, aiming at Kalathiel and Rose.

The captain speaks, his voice loud and rough, "You are trespassing on the lands of the great dwarven city of Tath-Kegeth. Drop your weapons and surrender now, and I will show you mercy. Fail to comply, and my soldiers will end your trespassing without hesitation."

The dwarves spend their turn getting into position and making threats. Scarlet is now aware of what's going on (since an angry dwarf shouting at you is hard to miss), so carry on with the current initiative order.

UrsusArctos
2015-12-30, 06:07 PM
Kalathiel reverted to his normal elven form, and put his hands up.

"I don't wield weapons, but use my fists. We're just investigating a missing caravan for the town of Redbrook."

JNAProductions
2015-12-30, 06:44 PM
Peace, peace! We come in peace! Scarlet says, raising her hands.

Jormengand
2016-01-01, 03:44 PM
Rose scowled. "I suppose that the administration of the great dwarven city of Tath'Kegeth don't believe in the free movement of peoples". She slung her bow back on her back, and gave the cloaked dwarf a look which said Challenge me over the specifics of whether or not I've dropped my weapon and you get a knife to the gut. "I guess that's why you burned our caravan, too, because they were "Trespassing" on your bloody land. Well, I guess we have our answer."

She picked up the unconscious archer and dumped him mock-ceremoniously at the feet of the front dwarf. "Oh, and take your assassin back. I don't want the bastard."

If you're really ruling that we're still in combat and I can't do all of that, then fine, I'll do something different.

UristMcRandom
2016-01-05, 11:22 AM
The cloaked dwarf glares fiercely at Rose, then grunts to his soldiers, "Take them," he then looks each of you square in the eye, and adds "If you resist, you will die."

Each of you soon finds an armoured dwarf standing next to you with a set of manacles. They begin the process of putting them on you.

The dwarves (with exception of the leader) have put away their weapons to chain you up. If you choose to play along, they'll just put the manacles on and then drag you off. If you choose to resist, I'll put us back into combat time, but for now don't worry about action economy or initiative.

JNAProductions
2016-01-05, 11:57 PM
Scarlet sighs, but holds her hands out, allowing them to be shackled.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-06, 09:42 PM
Kalathiel stuck his hands out to the dwarf in front of him and allowed them to be shackled. He was unconcerned, as he could easily break out of them by warping his body into that of a small raven, or could simply blast his foes with air.

"If I may, can I ask if the travelers whose caravan this was were also arrested for treason?"

UristMcRandom
2016-01-08, 02:20 PM
The guards shackle Kalathiel and Scarlet quickly and efficiently.

Kalathiel finds himself cut off before he can even mention the caravan, "You may ask nothing, the dwarf-captain says. He doesn't even bother making eye contact, he's too busy glaring at Rose (whose guard has begun the process of shackling her, even without cooperation).

The guards chain your shackles together into a long line, and form a perimeter around you. The captain takes hold of your chain and begins to drag you through the gates. As you enter, you see two unarmored dwarves run by and retrieve the archer who had initially assaulted you, dragging him down a set of stairs to parts unknown.

The captain leads you through corridor after corridor, down countless flights of stairs, until you find yourself in a cramped dungeon. The guards stop you, and strip you of your clothing and equipment, giving you only a coarse, itchy sackcloth tunic as a replacement. As you step through the door into the cell block, you find your respected noses assaulted by the combined scent of blood, urine, unwashed bodies, and - most noticeably - feces. The guards remove your chains and shackles, and shove you into a cramped cell with rusty iron bars, carved roughly into the stone wall of the room, then lock the door behind you. The only furnishings are two cots, muddy straw on the floor, and a bucket. The only light comes from the torches along the walls outside the cells. From your cell, you only have a direct line-of-site to the cells across from you, where a man sits on his cot. He's ragged, dirty, and unshaven, and he wears the same tunic as the rest of you. You can see other people - humans and dwarves alike - in similar condition in the other cells.

The captain steps in front of the door, "Welcome to the dungeon, your new home for the rest of your pitiful little lives. For trespassing on the lands of Tath-Kegeth, your sentence is life in this dungeon, and to be made into gladiators for the entertainment of all the citizens of Tath-Kegeth, and for the glory of the blood god. Any questions? Too bad.

And with that, he and his guards left, closing the stone door of the dungeon behind them.

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 12:10 PM
Be a hero, I thought. Help a lost caravan, I thought. What would the risk be? I thought. Scarlet says bitterly. Well, looks like I thought wrong.

Jormengand
2016-01-10, 03:23 PM
"Oh, don't give up hope!" says Rose, with a grin on her face that says I'm going to do a series of really stupid things in the hope that at least one of them works. Grabbing a fistful of straw, she starts jamming it into the lock maniacally.

Open lock take 20 = 28 30 (+10, -2 for improvised tools). Disregard, I have Improvised Item Proficiency
If someone objects and I need to do it in a hurry [roll0] 22
If I can't open the lock, Disable Device to break it open instead [roll1] 27

UrsusArctos
2016-01-10, 08:20 PM
Kalathiel looked at Rose's strange attempt to break out of the door. It was an odd attempt, but it may work. Nonetheless, Kalathiel had a plan of his own.

He altered his form again, this time becoming a normal raven, not a the hybrid creature he typically used in combat. Once he had altered his form, he merely stepped through the bars of the door, and walked across the hallway to the cell across from them, and reverted back to an arctic elf.

"Excuse me? Could you please answer a few questions I have? What blood god was the captain talking about, and how long has the city been like this?"

UristMcRandom
2016-01-12, 02:56 PM
Just as Kalathiel hops through the bars, Rose's madcap straw-shoving produces a click! from the cell's lock. The man in the cell across the hall turns to the source of the sound, but then jumps back when Kalathiel reverts to elf-form in front of him.

"Please, not so loud! You don't want the guards coming in here while you're not in your cell," he whispers, "I don't know how long the city's been like this, but I used to make trips here regularly and it's not normal. I don't know who this 'blood god' is either, but I've never heard of him or her before this trip. Your friend said that you were rescuing a caravan - are you from Redbrook?"

Jormengand
2016-01-12, 03:17 PM
"Yeah," whispered Rose to the man, "And we'd quite like to make it back there in short order. Do you want help out of there, do you know where they keep our stuff, and do you have any idea where the way out is?"

"Oh, and Kal, Scar, you two had better be able to beat people about without a weapon, because I need something that at least LOOKS like one before I can do any damage."

JNAProductions
2016-01-12, 03:21 PM
I'm not much without my gear, Scarlet says. But I can smash stuff reasonably well. I won't feel like me until I get it all back, though.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-12, 04:06 PM
"I do not wear armor or use weapons to fight. I shall be able to fight well." Kalathiel turned to the man in the cell. "How long have you been in this cell?"

UristMcRandom
2016-01-14, 04:09 PM
"I don't know how long we've been here, they brought my men down to these dungeons, and we haven't seen the light of day since. Now then, I can show you the way out, but first I need you to get me out of this cell, and help me free my men from their cells, I can't leave them here to die."

Jormengand
2016-01-15, 12:31 PM
"Consider it done."

Rose starts freeing the man and his compatriots from their cells.

Attempt to take 10 on each lock. If I can't or taking 10 doesn't work, spam attempts at it until it opens.

UristMcRandom
2016-01-16, 07:44 PM
Rose attempts to carefully pick each lock, but soon finds her attempts in vain. As she resorts to random straw shoving, one by one the cells begin to open, but it takes time.

Everyone make a Listen check.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-16, 11:11 PM
It seemed like the duty of fighting their way out of this prison would fall to Kalathiel. As a result, he shifted his form again to the one he preferred for combat: the hybrid of elf and bird.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-01-17, 12:11 AM
Hey! Hey! Listen!

[roll0]

Jormengand
2016-01-18, 12:11 PM
[roll0] For listen.

UristMcRandom
2016-01-19, 04:58 PM
You hear the sound of a creature in armor approaching from outside the door closest to you. You're not certain how far away they are, but they're definitely getting closer. You also hear something that sounds like whimpering, also approaching the door.

The dungeon is a long, straight hallway, roughly 10 feet wide, lined with cells and torches. There are roughly 40 cells, and you've unlocked the 3 of them closest to yours (where most of the caravan members were being kept). At either end of the hallway are stone doors leading out into the rest of the fortress. The door you entered through (and where you hear the armor and the whimpering) leads to a long, spiraling hallway that leads up (to the entrance hall) and down (to parts unknown). You don't know what lies beyond the other door.

JNAProductions
2016-01-19, 05:04 PM
Scarlet looks to the others, whispering as quietly as she can What's the plan? Get back in the cells and pretend we're still locked in?

Jormengand
2016-01-21, 06:21 PM
Rose grabbed the leg bone of a long-dead prisoner and gave it an experimental swing. "No. We're going to fight."

UrsusArctos
2016-01-22, 12:39 PM
Kalathiel wasn't unsure he would be able to lead the party to safety by himself. With Rose armed, he was more confident. He slowly inched toward the door, with his feathered arms up, ready to fight.

JNAProductions
2016-01-22, 02:12 PM
Scarlet drops down into a fighting stance, awkwardly, readying her large metal arms to smash.

UristMcRandom
2016-01-24, 06:48 PM
The door opens and the captain who brought you down here steps through, holding the end of a chain that connects to a shackled dwarf behind him. When he sees that you (and the caravan members) are free, he bellows out "Guards!" before drawing his weapon and shield.

Before we start this, each of you get 50 EXP for that dwarf archer you felled earlier, sorry for forgetting that.

Dwarf captain initiative: [roll0]
Dwarf guards initiative: [roll1]
Guards will arrive in [roll2] rounds
Prisoners initiative: [roll3]

JNAProductions
2016-01-24, 07:22 PM
[roll0] Big money no whammies!

Ah crap, Scarlet says, not looking forward to the ensuing battle.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-24, 10:02 PM
Didn't we use group initiative in the first encounter?

[roll0]

Kalathiel put up his feathered fists and prepared for a fight with the dwarf captain. "Those in the caravan should move to the back. Scarlet, you too."

Jormengand
2016-01-25, 11:45 AM
Rose readied herself for a fight...

[roll0]

UristMcRandom
2016-01-25, 07:26 PM
*facepalm* Yes, yes we did use group initiative. Sorry about that folks!
The part acts on an initiative count of 11 (Kalathiel's roll, since he has the best modifier of the party). Which means the overall initiative order is as follows:

Dwarf Captain - 20
Party - 11
Prisoners - 8
Dwarf guards - 3 (arriving in 5 rounds)
The dwarf captain drops the end of the chain he's holding, and rushes the bird-elf, swinging his axe the whole while.

The dwarf captain charges at Kalathiel, wielding his waraxe in two-hands, and power attacks with the side of the axe.
Attack (dwarven waraxe): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit. Confirm: [roll2]
Crit. Damage: [roll3]

UrsusArctos
2016-01-25, 09:01 PM
Kalathiel easily dodged out of the way of the captain's attack with the axe. He faced the captain and unleashed a set of quick jabs at the captain with his hands and clawed legs.

Kalathiel full attacks with: Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick and Two Claws from Monstrous Beast Form Exhibition.

Unarmed Strike Attack: [roll0]
Unarmed Strike Damage: [roll1]

Snap Kick Attack: [roll2]
Snap Kick Damage: [roll3]

Claw 1 Attack: [roll4]
Claw 1 Damage: [roll5]

Claw 2 Attack: [roll6]
Claw 2 Damage: [roll7]

UristMcRandom
2016-01-26, 02:40 PM
Kalathiel's fist meets the captain's head and the dwarf stumbles backwards. The following snap-kick to the stomach knocks him over, and the claws tear him open. There's no questioning it - from the looks of his injuries, he's dead.

Dwarf Captain takes 10 damage from Kalathiel's unarmed strike, goes unconscious. Dwarf Captain is at -3 HP.
Kalathiel deals 4 damage to the Dwarf Captain with his Snap-Kick. Dwarf Captain is now at -7 HP.
Kalathiel deals 6 damage to the Dwarf Captain with Claw Attack 1. Dwarf Captain is at -13 HP and is now deceased.
Kalathiel deals 3 damage to the Dwarf Captain with Claw Attack 2. Dwarf Captain is at -16 HP and still deceased.

JNAProductions
2016-01-26, 07:04 PM
Right-remind me not to piss you off, Scarlet comments. We should get gear as soon as we can.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-26, 07:38 PM
Kalathiel looked at the dead captain at his feet, surprised that he had killed him so quickly. "There are likely more guards coming. We need to be wary of a fight." Kalathiel leaned down and grabbed the captain's waraxe, holding it out for Rose. "This might make a better weapon than the bone." The werecrow leaned down again and looked for anything else of note on the captain's body.

Jormengand
2016-01-31, 01:50 PM
Rose grabbed the axe in two hands. "Right, thanks."

UristMcRandom
2016-02-02, 01:54 AM
A few of the prisoners give the were-elf a wide berth after watching him slaughter the dwarf captain, while the dwarf he had been dragging in merely sits against the door wide-eyed. The man who had been in the cell across from you works his way through the crowd and, clearly trying to avoid making eye contact with the corpse on the floor, addresses you, "Alright, clearly you all are the experts here, so what's the plan for getting out?"

Jormengand
2016-02-04, 04:45 PM
"First order of business is getting these doors open, and getting rid of any other guards nearby. Next, we need to get my stuff back, because I kinda need it. Scar definitely needs hers."

Rose frowns, hiding next to the door waiting for any more guards to come and ready to swing her axe at any who did.

UrsusArctos
2016-02-06, 09:54 PM
Kalathiel tossed the keys he found on the body of the captain over to the leader of the caravan. "Go free everyone you can from the cells."

He slid the shortsword, shortbow and arrows over to Rose. "You may like one of those better than the axe. It's always good to have options. Once we have a moment this scale mail might be useful."

The were-crow then put the glass vials onto the shield and slid it over to Scarlet. "You used a shield in the past. Also, can you try to identify what is in those vials? Likely potions of some kind. Also, we may want to speak to that dwarf that was on a leash."

The Anthol grabbed the coin purse and clay tablet, and stepped outside the door, waiting for the dwarves to arrive and prepared to attack.

Ready an action: Use Land-Strike Wrath to make a ranged unarmed strike when a dwarf enters range.

JNAProductions
2016-02-07, 02:51 PM
[roll0]

Give me the good stuff!

UristMcRandom
2016-02-09, 09:33 PM
You spend the next ten rounds investigating the faint red liquid, discovering that it is in fact a potion of Cure Light Wounds.

It's not much time after Kalathiel steps outside the room that six dwarves come sprinting in, four from upstairs, two from downstairs. When they see you, they pause ever so briefly, as though startled by your rather terrifying visage.

The stairway is 10 feet wide. If you wish to attempt to charge while fighting, make a Balance roll or risk tripping and falling prone. Dwarves #1-#4 are to your left about 10 ft. away (and out of movement for this round), while Dwarves #5-#6 are to your right about 15 ft. away (also out of movement). Their presence should trigger your prepared action, so you can make that attack roll now.

Did Kalathiel close the door behind him? If so, Rose can't see any of this (unless you want to retcon that she stepped outside the room, I'd be fine with that.)

JNAProductions
2016-02-09, 09:38 PM
So helpful, Scarlet mutters. I've got a light healing potion here.

UrsusArctos
2016-02-09, 10:18 PM
Six dwarves appeared arrived in the stairwell, and Kalathiel flung a blast of air at the first to arrive, flapping his feathered limbs at the dwarf, following it up shortly with another blast aimed at the same dwarf.

Towards the one dwarf that had been on the chain, the elf ordered, "Get in!", pointing to the corridor.

Readied attack: [roll0]
[roll1]

If that attack kills the first dwarf, then the second goes to #2.

Attack on turn:
[roll2]
[roll3]

UrsusArctos
2016-02-09, 10:19 PM
Confirmation: [roll0]
Extra Damage: [roll1]

UristMcRandom
2016-02-10, 11:01 AM
The dwarf sidesteps Kalathiel's first shot, but leaves himself open to the second one - he takes the blast of wind square in the chest, and collapses.

Kalathiel deals 10 damage to Dwarf #1. Dwarf #1 is now at -4 HP and falls unconscious.

Jormengand
2016-02-14, 06:22 PM
Rose swings her axe at the approaching dwarves.

One readied, one on turn, crit confirm for readied, confirm on turn:[roll0] (At +4 bonus)

This is a waraxe, right? In which case, [roll1] at +3 damage.

UristMcRandom
2016-02-18, 12:27 AM
Watching their comrade be blown off his feet by a ferocious half-elf, half-bird monstrosity seems to shake the dwarf guards' resolve. Two of them rush at Rose and Kalathiel, screaming in their blind rage, but the remaining three take a step back, and then break into a full run.

Dwarves 2 and 5 move to Rose and Kalathiel, respectively, and attack. The remaining dwarves go running. Dwarves 3 and 4 go up the stairs, while Dwarf 6 goes down the stairs. Jormen, either of them will be close enough to trigger Rose's prepared action, so strike at your pleasure.

Dwarf 2 attack roll: [roll0] (against Rose)
Dwarf 2 damage: [roll1] slashing
Dwarf 2 crit. confirm: [roll2]
Dwarf 2 crit. damage: +[roll3] slashing

Dwarf 5 attack roll: [roll4] (against Kalathiel)
Dwarf 5 damage: [roll5] slashing
Dwarf 5 crit. confirm: [roll6]
Dwarf 5 crit. damage: +[roll7] slashing

Dwarf 3 balance check: [roll8] vs. DC 10. Failure by less than 4 means they just walk away normally, failure by 4 or more and they fall prone on the spot.
Dwarf 4 balance check: [roll9] vs. DC 10. Failure by less than 4 means they just walk away normally, failure by 4 or more and they fall prone on the spot.
Dwarf 5 balance check: [roll10] vs. DC 10. Failure by less than 4 means they just walk away normally, failure by 4 or more and they fall prone on the spot.

UristMcRandom
2016-02-18, 12:29 AM
...so let's try that again.

Dwarf 2 attack roll: [roll0] (against Rose)
Dwarf 2 damage: [roll1] slashing
Dwarf 2 crit. confirm: [roll2]
Dwarf 2 crit. damage: +[roll3] slashing

Dwarf 5 attack roll: [roll4] (against Kalathiel)
Dwarf 5 damage: [roll5] slashing
Dwarf 5 crit. confirm: [roll6]
Dwarf 5 crit. damage: +[roll7] slashing

Dwarf 3 balance check: [roll8] vs. DC 10. Failure by less than 4 means they just walk away normally, failure by 4 or more and they fall prone on the spot.
Dwarf 4 balance check: [roll9] ditto.
Dwarf 5 balance check: [roll10] ditto.

UrsusArctos
2016-02-18, 04:37 PM
The elf easily dodged out of the war of the axe, seeing it arc through the air before him and anticipating where it would strike. Kalathiel became a flurry of motion, deftly punching the guard and clawing him with his talons.

Kalathiel attacks the dwarf.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

JNAProductions
2016-02-18, 05:05 PM
Scarlet stays back, observing the fight and readying herself to hit anyone who makes it to the back lines.

Readying an action to Slam anyone who gets near.

UristMcRandom
2016-02-20, 11:00 AM
Kalathiel's blows are all deftly blocked or evaded by the dwarf, though his last claw comes rather close to hitting.

Jormengand
2016-02-23, 07:32 AM
Rose now swings her axe at the dwarf who was attacking her:

One readied, one on turn, crit confirm for readied, confirm on turn:[roll0] (At +4 bonus)

This is a waraxe, right? In which case, [roll1] at +3 damage.

UristMcRandom
2016-02-26, 09:24 PM
The dwarf catches Rose's first swing on his shield, but is knocked off-balance and unable to defend himself from the second swing. A deep gash is cut into his side, and he collapses and begins to slowly bleed out on the floor in front of Rose.

Rose misses Dwarf 2 with her Readied Action waraxe attack.
Rose hits Dwarf 2 with a Waraxe, dealing 12 damage. Dwarf 2 is at -6 HP, unconscious, and bleeding.

...I need to start giving you encounters made of one or two CL 2-3 creatures, instead of 6 CL 1/2 monsters.

The caravan captain frees the rest of the prisoners, and gets them ready to leave the dungeon as soon as the remaining guards are dispatched. He has a couple of the burlier prisoners guard the dwarf who was being dragged around by the guard captain.

The remaining dwarf watches as her comrade-in-arms is knocked out, dropping her weapon and shield and falling to her knees, "Stop! Please! I surrender. Just... just let me help him! Don't kill him!"

Dwarf 5, after yielding, attempts a Heal check on Dwarf 2 ([roll0]). This technically provokes an AoO from both Rose and Kalathiel. Take it or leave it at your discretion.

UristMcRandom
2016-03-04, 11:16 PM
You place the two dwarves into cells, and your interrogation of the woman reveals that the "blood god" is no deity at all, but rather a miner named Gilgot, who was well known among the workforce of the city for being a troublemaker before he apparently stumbled onto an ancient sword while working. The self-styled "blood god" had proceeded taken over the entire system - holding Tath-Kegeth's council captive in the mines and forcing anyone who opposed him into gladiatorial combat for his own sick amusement. She promised to return your equipment to you in exchange for you releasing her and her friend so that she could get him to the infirmary, and on the condition that you take down Gilgot and restore order to the city.
Any further questions you wish to ask the dwarf-lady I'll answer in the OOC thread. I tried to cover all the bases, but given my track record I'm absolutely certain that I missed something.
The silvery liquid is an oil of Magic Weapon, and the blue one is a potion of Jump.

Following the directions provided by Eribela (the woman you were interrogating), you manage to make your way to the council chamber, which Gilgot had converted into his throne room. When you speak your challenge, he rises and draws forth a beautifully-crafted longsword, covered with engravings of intertwining lines that seemed to lead up to the tip of the blade, which seems almost to burn in the torchlight. "You would dare to challenge the blood god? Such impudence! I'll show you your place, mortals."
I'm going to stop our fast-forward through time here. Mostly because this encounter will introduce a plot point that I'd rather demonstrate in battle than just describe. Basically, beat up this guy with the full force of your collective properly-equipped might, and then I'll kick us forward another couple paragraphs.

JNAProductions
2016-03-05, 06:52 PM
I think we need to roll this? [roll0]

Gilgot, please, settle down. There's no need for you to-oh, who am I kidding. Eat ice, bastard! Scarlet says, approaching the "king" and activating her gauntlet as she strikes at him.

[roll1] Touch Attack Roll, for [roll2] Dexterity damage.

UrsusArctos
2016-03-05, 09:49 PM
I think we're using group initiative, where my modifier is the highest. [roll0][spoiler]

The were-crow looked at the 'blood god'. "I expected someone taller. I thought you were a god?" The elf poured out one of his waterskins and caught the liquid in the air, hurling it at the dwarf. He then gracefully walked forward to stand beside his robotic ally.

[SPOILER=Attack]One attack from Land-Strike Wrath.
[roll1]
[roll2]

UristMcRandom
2016-03-07, 11:28 PM
Gilgot Initiative: [roll0] Not even sure why I'm rolling this...

Because I got distracted describing the sword, here's a description of Gilgot:

His skin is pale, far paler than any of the other dwarves you've seen in the city. His eyes are a glassy grey, and his hair is white and growing sparse, and he keeps his long, thick beard in three braids. He's of average height, but above average build for a dwarf male. He's wearing a suit of plate emblazoned with the rising sun sigil that you saw on the Captain's shield earlier. The scabbard for his sword is mounted on his left hip. On his back, he's wearing a blood red cape. He has no helmet, instead wearing a twisted crown apparently forged from silver on his head.

Gilgot winces at the shock from Scarlet's gauntlet, and then again when he's struck by Kalathiel's water strike. Before Kalathiel can enter his range, he draws his sword and raises it into a ready posture. Tendrils of purple energy emerge from the jeweled pommel and spiral their way down the blade, becoming violet flames as they join at the tip. He swings for Scarlet, shouting "Learn your place, machine!"

UristMcRandom
2016-03-07, 11:30 PM
And I forgot to roll. I need a nap, I think.

Longsword attack: [roll0]
Longsword damage: [roll1] slashing plus [roll2] untyped damage.
Crit. confirm: [roll3]
Crit. damage: [roll4] slashing

EDIT: Holy crap. What have I done?!

JNAProductions
2016-03-08, 02:14 PM
You did 17 points of damage, because that is a failed crit.

So I am at -1/16 HP. And stable, thanks to being a Warforged.

Scarlet drops to the ground, inert.

Jormengand
2016-03-08, 05:19 PM
"Scar! Hold on, I have a potion!"

Rose runs up and throws a potion of Repair Light Damage down Scar's throat.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-03-08, 05:26 PM
Scarlet regains her feet, woozily. Huh? Wha? I don't feel so... YOU! she says, eyeing the dwarf that hurt her so. I'll freeze you to a statue!

Whenever my turn comes around...

[roll0] Touch Attack for [roll1] more Dexterity damage.

UrsusArctos
2016-03-08, 09:01 PM
Kalathiel, not being what one would call particularly witty, kept his mouth shut in the fight, and resorted to punching and clawing the dwarf rapdily.

First Punch:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Snap-Kick
[roll2]
[roll3]

Claw 1
[roll4]
[roll5]

Claw 1
[roll6]
[roll7]

Jormengand
2016-03-09, 10:29 AM
"Hey, dwarf punk, have some spikes!"

Rose dips into her bag of useful items, grabs a bag of caltrops and throws them into the area where the dwarf is fighting.

(BoUI has 109GP left)

UristMcRandom
2016-03-10, 10:36 PM
Scarlet, still apparently woozy from being knocked inert, attempts to strike Gilgot with her gauntlet but fails. Kalathiel fares far better, landing not only a punch, but also a claw attack. The former sends Gilgot reeling. He levels his blade to retaliate, and once more it's sheathed by violet flames, but before he can swing it he's struck by the elf's claws and sent to the ground, out cold and bleeding. The energy from the sword is discharged up through his arm and throughout his body as his eyes spring open one last time and he gasps for air, then he falls to the ground, dead.

Kalathiel deals 8 damage to Gilgot with an Unarmed Strike. Gilgot is at 3 HP.
Kalathiel deals 4 damage with a Claw attack. Gilgot is at -1 HP and bleeding.
The sword deals 9 damage to Gilgot with discharged energy*. Gilgot is at -10 HP and dead.

@Jormen, you can have the money for the caltrops back if you like. If I had realized that Kalathiel had already killed Gilgot I would have just ended the encounter on the spot, probably. Sorry.

@Everyone, because this whole setup sequence has been such a mess, I'm not even bothering with EXP for this encounter. You all level up. As far as loot goes, Gilgot doesn't seem to have anything on him other than the aforementioned equipment. On closer inspection, however, his crown appears to be made not of silver, but of platinum.

*The precise number is because of Rule of Cool. That, and I wanted him to be dead and Kalathiel didn't do enough damage for that.

UrsusArctos
2016-03-19, 02:07 PM
Kalathiel kneeled and picked up the sword, looking at it and turning it over.

"Well, we still need to free the council and restore the proper order to the government of this city. Would either of you mind identifying what magic lies in this sword?"

JNAProductions
2016-03-23, 04:20 PM
[roll0] SPellcraft

Can do, Scarlet says, looking over the blade.

UristMcRandom
2016-03-29, 12:06 AM
Scarlet is able to identify the energy effect that the sword manifested is similar to the eldritch blast ability granted to warlocks by their patrons, though she's clueless as to how to activate it. Kalathiel, meanwhile, feels a presence entering his mind. A still, sweet voice whispers to you, calling you far across the Dusklands, promising you knowledge and power beyond your wildest imaginings if you would only follow it.

If you want to try any other means of identification, just say so. I'm going ahead and writing the rest of the timeskip out, however.

For the record, the voice is tempting, but Kalathiel is in no way compelled to go there unless he's particularly partial to following the voices in his head. For the sake of this being a timeskip, though, I'm going on with assuming that you follow the railroad tracks Call to AdventureTM.

You spend the next few hours searching the catacombs beneath Tath-Kegeth, finally finding the Council sealed behind rocks in a remote tunnel at the very bottom of the mines. They're tired and hungry, but otherwise seem unhurt. Before they're taken to the infirmary, an old councilman thanks each of you personally for restoring order to the city. On your way out of the city a guard catches up to you to deliver a bag filled with coins (a total of 1600 gp).

Several days of hiking later you arrive at your destination, a cave extending deep into the side of a mountain. Towering monolithic structures of indeterminate age appear at irregular intervals, indicating that at some point this valley was inhabited, though by what you're not sure - the stonework surpasses even that of the greatest dwarven masters. Rusted weapons and pieces of armor litter the valley, seemingly long abandoned by their ancient wielders. A cold wind stirs up dust as your party approaches the entrance to the cave.

UrsusArctos
2016-04-07, 10:38 PM
"The maps say that there is something in these caves. I confirmed the whispers by poring over them. Shall we enter?"

Kalathiel pointed towards the cave with the longsword he had taken from Gilgot's body. A powerful weapon, he could tell, but Rose and his attempts to figure out how powerful had failed. The elf began to walk forward, weapon at the ready.

UristMcRandom
2016-04-11, 02:12 PM
Kalathiel steps towards the cave as the whispers in his head urge him onwards.

Spot checks, please.