PDA

View Full Version : Player Help calculating skills for a LA character

deathbymanga
2015-12-23, 02:17 AM
ok, so, say I'm making a Half-Giant Warlock. I have a Level Adjustment of +1. However, Half-Giants have nothing to calculate skill points. Do I wait until 2nd level before I roll 4x(2+Int)? or do I just loose that extra skill points all together and just get 2+Int?

ngilop
2015-12-23, 02:57 AM
I think I understand your question SO I am going to answer to the question I think it is.

Skill points are based off of one's hit die whether they be racial hit die or class hit die.

level adjustment does nothing to how many skills you get or what your skill rank cap is.

every character in the games gets X4 skill points at the first hit die.

As a half giant, your first HD would be from your first warlock level

since you have a level adjustemtn of +1 that would make you a 2nd level character.

SO yes at 2nd level you would get the X4 skill points that every character gets at their first HD.

there would be no 'waiting' until 2nd to get your skill points as you would never be a 1st level character you would always start at 2nd.

deathbymanga
2015-12-23, 03:06 AM
I think I understand your question SO I am going to answer to the question I think it is.

Skill points are based off of one's hit die whether they be racial hit die or class hit die.

level adjustment does nothing to how many skills you get or what your skill rank cap is.

every character in the games gets X4 skill points at the first hit die.

As a half giant, your first HD would be from your first warlock level

since you have a level adjustemtn of +1 that would make you a 2nd level character.

SO yes at 2nd level you would get the X4 skill points that every character gets at their first HD.

there would be no 'waiting' until 2nd to get your skill points as you would never be a 1st level character you would always start at 2nd.

yes, but 4 x what? just the intelligence modifier? any skill modifiers at all?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-23, 03:23 AM
The LA only increases your level for experience calculation. Everything would be calculated as though you were (since you are for everything but experience calculation) level 1.

Troacctid
2015-12-23, 03:31 AM
yes, but 4 x what? just the intelligence modifier? any skill modifiers at all?

4 * (2 + Int), as is standard for a Warlock.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-12-23, 04:35 AM
Easy way to look at it: Ignore the level adjustment for calculation purposes except for XP. On any race that doesn't have Racial Hit Dice, but does have a Level Adjustment (such as the Half-Giant) you would only use the actual Class Levels for every purpose except XP calculations.