PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old for a younger generation?

Volomon
2015-12-23, 01:02 PM
I need advise I can't tell if I'm over stepping my bounds.

My background is AD&D, 3.5 and 5th. With a quick look at 4th before retiring that immediately. I have always DMed.

I come to a session as a player. The DM introduces himself as experienced. Including me there is a total of 3 experienced players and two first timers. We all start noticing odd things and I'm quick to give plot holes cover. He's rusty I think, give him time.

An example is overly elaborate descriptions of background NPCs that do nothing. Conversing yields nothing both RP or roll. Laughing guards (enjoying their free time not madness) in a town besieged by blight, raids, isolation, and a curse.

So ok, whats more odd is it quickly becomes apparent that this is going to be linear, aka a railroad campaign. We've humored him by not sidetracking. Talk to a go to b youre trapped you have to go to c.

I've never seen a game so linear in all my life. Including video games. For instance in session 3 (where one should lose their rust) we're in a tower going past the 3rd floor brings you to floor 1. He fought us on going down, I'm not sure why. So I think I'm going to bust out this glass. Too thick. Not, "its magically warded" it's just too thick. I was going to look out get my bearings and maybe rope up. Skip forward through some content. We've been forced to go through a portal or be forced to stay in this magical stair loop aka die. We appear in a room with no exit only a fire place and a "boss". Yup you got it, I fiugred this out in 2 seconds, fireplace is the exit. Guess where it leads a single path to a single hole in the ground a 220ft drop. Well you can guess at this point how it's going. I tell you what it cuts down on map design.

Now that was just to give you an idea. Here's what I actually have issue with.

- "Experienced" doesn't know that friendlies can walk through each other. Clear sign of never having played OR ignores all rules for "story" which he's stated. Though I think theres a major difference between never reading them and ignoring them.
- There is no story there is a background plot thats had zero fleshing out from minute one to hour 9. Most of this has been combat/encounters. Yet he doesn't know the basic rules.
-Metagaming DM. I say this because the window, npcs avoiding following for our traps, things keep happening for "story". He's not even aware hes meta gaming but it appears to be his lack of understanding of the rules, that make things occur that should not.

Major example: Remember that portal well it was opened by a cambion (we're a party of three level three in this session) who was customized but still had Fiendish Charm, there were originally two we killed one captured the other. He's extremely afraid of this hag we meet earlier demands to be set free so he can open a portal. Hag bursts in while portal is forming, she jedi forces us into the wall (made up power). She jumps, we only have one way out we follow. The extremely fearful cambion jumps in following the hag. Ok. For some reason our late arrival rogue treats the cambion as bambie. Regardless of that. We kill hag. We decide to long rest with cambion watching us breath. Anyone see an issue with this? We just murdered this things wife. He has the power to take someone over. He regains life from rest as well. He could have slit someones throat. Except this NPC is out of place and is more an object at that point. His lack of rules understanding lead him to believe he was bleedingto death and fearful. A long rest is 8 hours. This guy has a lot of blood....

Not knowing the rules has lead to numerous inconsistency through out.

I point this out cause he asks for feedback and I'm not the only one noticing strange things. One guy down right doesn't feel like playing any more.

Giving him feedback has resulted in "the rules are just a guide not the law, its for story purposes" which I can give him a pass on. Like my friend said there is no story.

I donno maybe I should give up trying to help him with feedback and keep playing to see if it just gets better. Am I just old? Is this the way they play it now all loose and linear?

CantigThimble
2015-12-23, 01:16 PM
Are you implying that at any point in the entire history of D&D most groups of players had the same idea of how to play or run a campaign? :smalltongue:

But seriously, I know 3 DMs under 20, one is similar to the one you describe, but the other two are completely different from him and each other.

Volomon
2015-12-23, 01:20 PM
Are you implying that at any point in the entire history of D&D every group of players had the same idea of how to play or run a campaign? :smalltongue:

I'm implying that there's a possibility that this generation of DND players had learned to play a different way. Things change. For instance is jazz popular any more? There are themes with every generation, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings. The book generation vs. the movie generation.

Things change. The only thing that never changes is war...

I'm not just pointing that out though, I'm kind of wondering if my feedback is valid. He asks for feedback but seems to be quick to brush it off as if I'm "one of those".

Is linear railroading really a DM style or a major flaw?

Actually as I think about i dont care about that, its the inconsistency not knowing the rules brings to the immersion of play.

Knaight
2015-12-23, 01:24 PM
This just sounds like bad DMing. As a generational thing, linear games have if anything decreased, and the level of open hostility towards that style has shot up. As for the game being loose with rules application, that also seems like more of an oldschool thing*; while 5e is trying to bring back a looser rulings based style a lot of the players have a 3.x background, and that edition did everything it could to squish that style.

*In the D&D sphere, outside of it it's pretty ubiquitous

caden_varn
2015-12-23, 01:33 PM
I've been playing over 30 years, and have known a handful of DMs like this pretty much from the start. So this is not something new, just something you have been lucky enough to avoid so far.

Volomon
2015-12-23, 01:36 PM
This just sounds like bad DMing. As a generational thing, linear games have if anything decreased, and the level of open hostility towards that style has shot up. As for the game being loose with rules application, that also seems like more of an oldschool thing*; while 5e is trying to bring back a looser rulings based style a lot of the players have a 3.x background, and that edition did everything it could to squish that style.

*In the D&D sphere, outside of it it's pretty ubiquitous

Hard to tell this guys in his 20s and came from 4e, and I dont know what to think of that one.

Merbeast
2015-12-23, 02:30 PM
Video games (well, RPG video games) tend to be linear. I am sure people will come up with "open world" examples like Skyrim, but reality is that the designers allowed for a limited number of possibilities, limited quests (linear quests at that) with limited conclusions, etc. Video games are also much more popular today than they were 30 years ago, and so have had a greater impact on tabletop RPGs. For example, IMHO 4th edition seemed like a direct port of an MMORPG to the tabletop.

That said, DMs tend to take what they know and apply it to a game. He may be "experienced", but maybe not with non-linear games, or with the 5th edition rules, or with table top RPGs in general.

I would approach with positive criticism. Let him know what you liked about the game (and honestly, if there is nothing you liked, why are you playing?). If you let him know what you liked, he may put more of the good stuff in which will leave less room for the bad stuff. If that doesn't work, then I would just have my character turn into a skeptic. When the party is making plans, have my character point out all the holes in the plot and spend game time in character discussing them and trying to reason (in character) what the in-game explanation for the plot hole(s) is. That usually gets the point across, and in my experience the DM will come to the next session with some amazing explanation for the hole(s).

DireSickFish
2015-12-23, 02:34 PM
Seems less of an age thing and more of a "being a **** GM who either can't take advice or is slow to take advice" thing. I know my DMing style is a constant reworking and trying to improve. Keep giving feedback, even if he brushes you off in the moment odds are the advice will rattle around in his head for a while afterword and may lead to improvement.

Good luck mate, hopefully you can find some fun in the game.

Temperjoke
2015-12-23, 02:45 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f3/c1/a9/f3c1a9018d18cb4746e156875c04081c.jpg

Sorry, but this is what your question reminded me of. Honestly, I'd say it's an issue with a single DM, rather than an entire generation of newer DMs. If he's experienced, maybe he doesn't realize he's railroading, if no one has brought it up before?

Dizlag
2015-12-23, 02:58 PM
I will have to echo the comments of others that this just seems like you had your first experience with a BAD DM.

In the last year I've played in two games where both DMs were doing it for the first time and were absolutely awesome. The second DM is running Out of the Abyss for us at our FLGS on wednesday nights for the Adventurer's League and doing a great job. The first DM ran Prince of the Apocalypse for Adventurer's League for a table of 9 - 12 of us ... a super job he did!

So again, sounds like a really bad DM who isn't experienced.

Good luck!

Dizlag

Zman
2015-12-23, 03:37 PM
You have a bad DM. The problem is if you are a skilled and good DM, bad DMing becomes unbearable. I know I've dropped games IRL and PBP within the first could pages/session for those same reasons. If they are unperceptive to feedback and are a poor DM, choose another DM/Game/Be the DM, etc as required.

Lonely Tylenol
2015-12-23, 05:16 PM
My first DM was like this. Problem is, I was inexperienced, so I wasn't even aware that this was bad DMing until I had played under a good DM... Over a year into the game. Echoing Zman's statement, even having experienced good DMing makes bad DMing unbearable. After that, I began DMing, using the rules I learned from both good DMs and bad to shape the way I drive my campaigns.

If you can do better, show them. It's really awful when new players are given a poor impression of what it means to RP.

Kane0
2015-12-23, 05:18 PM
Nah, you just got a bum roll on your DM acquisition table.

You'd be totally welcome to join my group, but what are the chances you're nearby and available?

endur
2015-12-23, 05:56 PM
This just sounds like bad DMing. As a generational thing, linear games have if anything decreased, and the level of open hostility towards that style has shot up.

I think its a cycle. 1e and 2e tended more towards sandbox adventures. 3e had tons of railroads. And railroads have decreased somewhat since 3e.