PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War - A question about Strikes

thecrimsondawn
2015-12-23, 03:02 PM
So I see a feat that allows you to use a strike at the end of a charge, so that means since charge is an action you cant use a strike on it normally, and that got me thinking. What can you, and can you not use a strike with? A strike is a standard action, but can you use a strike as part of a full attack (putting strikes that require a full round action to use aside)? What about with Cleave or other combat feats /moves?

I would assume that the strike itself is the declared action and thus, you cant use it with anything else that is not a swift or faster action, but I wanted to ask just in case I overlooked something.

Manyasone
2015-12-23, 03:09 PM
Well, a strike is a standard action. A full attack is a full round action. Unless the strike lets you take a full attack, I'd say no, not as part of. However there is a feat on pow expanded, that lets you use one as a aoo

stack
2015-12-23, 05:36 PM
Standard actions and full round actions are incompatible. Note the action required for the strike, some are standard, a few are full round.

Cleave and vital strike are attack actions, a particular type of standard action. They don't work with charging either, barring some special ability allowing it. An attack is not the same as an attack action; a full attack does not grant multiple cleaves or vital strikes. Charge grants a particular movement and a single attack, not a standard action or an attack action.

Sacrieur
2015-12-23, 10:16 PM
Strikes in PoW could be one of several actions. While most are standard actions, they are not all standard actions. I will use some examples to elaborate.

Dragon Assault
4th - Thrashing Dragon
Initiation Action: 1 full round attack action
The initiator makes a full round attack against a target(s), the first successful hit inflicting normal damage.

Minute Hand*
1st - Riven Hourglass
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
As a swift action, make an attack with a -2 penalty on the attack roll.

Raging Hunter Pounce
2nd - Primal Fury
Initiation Action: 1 full-round action
The initiator makes a charge attack and makes a full attack at the end of the charge against the target creature.

Dragon assault uses a very specific kind of full round action, while the other two use actions that have a different duration than standard. Pay attention to the last, which is a charge.

---

To answer your other questions...

so that means since charge is an action you cant use a strike on it normally

A charge is its own action. It's not a move action with an attack action appended to the end of it; it's an entire action in and of itself, including the attack.

What can you, and can you not use a strike with?

Anytime you're permitted an action which matches the initiation action, you can perform a strike.

can you use a strike as part of a full attack

No, because a full attack is its own kind of action, not several standard or swift actions.

What about with Cleave or other combat feats /moves?

Cleave: "As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against a foe within reach."

No, cleave is a specific kind of standard action.

PA: "You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls."

Yes, PA modifiers attack rolls, which strikes are.

---

*Note: the PoW:E beta docs lists Minute Hand as a boost. Consider it a strike for our purposes.