PDA

View Full Version : How to Store...

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 03:05 PM
2304 cubic meters of solid gold in a reasonably-sized space. That's 44,500,000 kg of gold, about 13.2 meters on a side.

Portable Hole that automatically Reduce Objects anything stored inside. Credit goes to AvatarVecna for figuring the idea out.

Edit: Imperial measurements.

98105706.672 lbs

43.30709 feet per side

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-23, 03:24 PM
Enveloping pits or, if you cannot get your hands on the relic due to the relic crafting requirement, Portable holes. Bags of holding are weight restricted rather than size. Portable holes are size restricted, not weight.

A portable hole hold a 6ftx10ft cylinder or 1130.94 cubic feet. That's 32 cubic meters each. You will need 72 of them, so 1,440,000gp and you can fold them all up and stick them in your pocket.

An enveloping pit will work better. It's 10ftx50ft. That means each holds 444.8 cubic meters. They are also MUCH cheaper per each. You would need 6, so 21,600 gp. Much cheaper, the only problem is they can only be made by worshipers of Kurtulmak and you need to UMD them if you are not the right alignments.

Necroticplague
2015-12-23, 03:28 PM
Try looking up some Hulking Hurler builds. Carrying capacity can get pretty ridiculous as higher ends of stregnth, especially if you start adding in multipliers. Even easier if you're willing to use the Skate power and drag it instead of carrying it.

Natural heavyweight, Belt of Wide Earth, being a quadruped, being very big all help.

Or, you could store it by volume. An enveloping pit is a 50 foot high by 5-foot radius cylinder. So if you melted the gold down so that it filled the pits, you could build a 'tower' of enveloping pits 23 pits tall to hold it all, if my napkin math is right. Thanks to being extradimensional, this takes up very little actual space. Rather of the expensive side, though total, cost would be 83,600 GP in pits. However, considering 1 pound of gold is 50 GP, this more than pays for itself (more napkin math says that block of gold is about 4900000000 GP worth).

Incidentally, since Dnd uses imperial measurements, it gonna be way easier on everyone if you also use it when talking about it.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-23, 03:30 PM
Try looking up some Hulking Hurler builds. Carrying capacity can get pretty ridiculous as higher ends of stregnth, especially if you start adding in multipliers. Even easier if you're willing to use the Skate power and drag it instead of carrying it.

Natural heavyweight, Belt of Wide Earth, being a quadruped, being very big all help.

Or, you could store it by volume. An enveloping pit is a 50 foot high by 5-foot radius cylinder. So if you melted the gold down so that it filled the pits, you could build a 'tower' of enveloping pits 23 pits tall to hold it all, if my napkin math is right. Thanks to being extradimensional, this takes up very little actual space. Rather of the expensive side, though total, cost would be 83,600 GP in pits. However, considering 1 pound of gold is 50 GP, this more than pays for itself (more napkin math says that block of gold is about 4900000000 GP worth).

Incidentally, since Dnd uses imperial measurements, it gonna be way easier on everyone if you also use it when talking about it.

ARGGGG! My math was wrong because I rushed! All my storage numbers are off by a factor of 4!

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 03:32 PM

I worked this out with Avatar Vecna over Skype-the Portable Hole Shrinker works fine for this.

However, there's a second issue, brought up in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473016-Encumbrance-Reducers)thread: how to hold a single block in hand without being encumbered.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-23, 04:00 PM
I worked this out with Avatar Vecna over Skype-the Portable Hole Shrinker works fine for this.

However, there's a second issue, brought up in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473016-Encumbrance-Reducers)thread: how to hold a single block in hand without being encumbered.

For a short period? Reverse Gravity.

Bronk
2015-12-23, 06:01 PM
How about using the Magnificent Mansion spell? Whip that up, then animate the gold to walk itself in. Once in, the servants can take it from there. Every so often, cast the spell again and walk the gold from the old mansion to the new one.

Or the Genesis spell.

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 06:03 PM
Genesis would make the most sense, probably. Is it possible to make a permanent, movable portal? Such as in pants pockets?

Bronk
2015-12-24, 07:11 AM
Genesis would make the most sense, probably. Is it possible to make a permanent, movable portal? Such as in pants pockets?

You probably could, I don't think there are any limits to portal size.

It's not quite that small, but the Planar Handbook has 'planar ring gates' that would do the trick too, otherwise there's the epic 'gate key'.

Vaern
2015-12-24, 03:39 PM
My GM allowed my party to create a pair of doorways that function as two connected ends of a Gate spell. We keep one end of our Gate on the lower deck of our ship, and since the Gate spell only functions between two separate planes we keep the other end in a pocket on the Astral Plane (inside of our Bag of Holding).
If we ever need something, we just crawl into the Bag of Holding and through the Gate to the ship in order to retrieve it, then come back. The bag itself also has an Instant Summons spell and a Dragoneye Rune active on it, to ensure that it is not misplaced. If it gets destroyed... well, we still have ourselves a Gate to the Astral Plane on our ship, right? :P