PDA

View Full Version : Fimbulwinter Wightpocalypse in the Deep Ocean

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 09:41 PM
Okay. Let's say, hypothetically, I'm a bat-poop crazy Warforged Blackwater Domain Cleric 3/Wizard 7/Incantatrix 10 who wants to cast Fimbulwinter Wightpocalypse at the bottom of the ocean.

What would happen? By strict RAW, anything killed by negative level loss turns into a Wight, but a Wight is a medium undead in a humanoid shape. What happens if you kill a whale with negative levels? Or a squid? Or a Kraken? Or a minnow?

torrasque666
2015-12-23, 09:50 PM
Okay. Let's say, hypothetically, I'm a bat-poop crazy Warforged Blackwater Domain Cleric 3/Wizard 7/Incantatrix 10 who wants to cast Fimbulwinter Wightpocalypse at the bottom of the ocean.

What would happen? By strict RAW, anything killed by negative level loss turns into a Wight, but a Wight is a medium humanoid. What happens if you kill a whale with negative levels? Or a squid? Or a Kraken? Or a minnow?
Wight's an undead bub.

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 09:52 PM
Minor mistake. Point being, a wight is in a humanoid shape-so what happens to non-humanoids that get level drained to death?

DrMotives
2015-12-23, 09:55 PM
The Wight template in Savage Species can be applied to any humanoid, and there was an article on the origins of undead that imply outsiders killed with negative levels become a nightshade. Without homebrewing, you might just rule they use the Corpse Creature template from BoVD.

JNAProductions
2015-12-23, 09:56 PM
Would this (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/wight.shtml) Wight template work?

Because if so, that's a LOT of level-draining fish.

Garktz
2015-12-24, 11:39 PM
Would that even work? i mean, you just cant "winterize" (i just made that up, but i hope you get the idea) the bottom of the ocean because it doesnt have a climate to do it, there is just water....

And im curious about it so, why would you do it?

JNAProductions
2015-12-24, 11:42 PM
Would that even work? i mean, you just cant "winterize" (i just made that up, but i hope you get the idea) the bottom of the ocean because it doesnt have a climate to do it, there is just water....

And im curious about it so, why would you do it?

Fimbulwinter (the spell, that is) simply says it affects an area-it never specifies it has to be an area with wintry weather, or even land.

As for why... Well, I'd never do it in-game unless I was playing a genocidal maniac. But since I'll never actually play a genocidal maniac, it's fun to pretend to pretend to be a genocidal maniac.

torrasque666
2015-12-24, 11:52 PM
Fimbulwinter (the spell, that is) simply says it affects an area-it never specifies it has to be an area with wintry weather, or even land.

As for why... Well, I'd never do it in-game unless I was playing a genocidal maniac. But since I'll never actually play a genocidal maniac, it's fun to pretend to pretend to be a genocidal maniac.
I think his point is that there's no weather or climate at the bottom of the ocean to be turned to "a state of permanent winter".
There's no snowfall, there's no wind, there's nothing to be effected by it.

Weirdlet
2015-12-25, 12:24 AM
Could rule that it suddenly turns into a cold current, or a chemically hostile environ like a thermal vent, with whirlpools and water that's suddenly unfit to live in and will slowly kill you, whether it's by temperature or poison. There's a climate, it just operates by different rules.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-25, 02:09 AM
An area of intense cold in the ocean, due to salinity, would make a strong downward current that would sequester oxygen, CO2, phosphate and nitrites from the environment and shunt them all laterally. Assuming your oceans' saltwater is the same as earth's, a wightocalypse on the bottom of the ocean in one spot would make for a bountiful fish harvest near the upwelling points.