PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Music

I_Got_This_Name
2007-06-12, 01:28 PM
Well, there hasn't been a gaming music thread around for a while.

What kinds of music do you use for your game sessions, if any? What do you reccomend for certain scenes (suspense, combat, villains' theme/combat theme music, dungeon exploration, peaceful, and so on?)

I pull mostly, right now, from Cave Story (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php) and the Cave Story Remix Project (http://kwix.shackspace.com/cavestory/download.htm), mostly since they're free and I've found them; I've had to comb through them for good tracks, though.

From Cave Story (original music):
Gravity, Eyes of Flame, Oppression, maybe Labyrinth Fight, possibly Charge, Zombie, and Last Battle (combat).
Balcony, Quiet (Suspense)
Mimiga Town, Plant (Peaceful)

From the remix:
A Hero's Resting Place (Suspense)
Combination Lock (Dungeon, of the long-forgotten variety)
Island of Eden (Current major villain's combat music)
Tetrahedron, Smoothie Brace (Peaceful)
Welcome Home (Triumphant)

Both iterations of Grasstown (On to Grasstown and Grass Stains) are decent, too. Most of these feel a bit improvised, though.

What does everyone else listen to while gaming? Also, can people reccomend something that's free/cheap and feels less improvised, or, possibly, CDs that are all/almost all good tracks for something?

Tengu
2007-06-12, 01:36 PM
Even if you're not playing an anime-style game, the soundtracks from various Final Fantasy games are very good - there are tracks for basically everything, from calm times to suspense to combat.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-12, 01:49 PM
Try and find a way to change the Neverwinter Nights sounds into a real music format instead of that ass-backwards one they use. Its got lots of varied and useful tracks.

kpenguin
2007-06-12, 02:29 PM
I played Duel of Fates during the climatic battle with a BBEG. Great composer, John Williams.

DraPrime
2007-06-12, 06:01 PM
Iron Maiden has a song for every moment. Kpenguin may use Duel of the Fates but I use The Wickerman.

warty goblin
2007-06-12, 07:29 PM
I generally use period sounding music- Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack for example, although when I want to dial up the tension a little bit I switch to the Halo soundtrack. Nothing like the Library Suite to get my player (I only have one) a little more into the action.

Daelon
2007-06-12, 09:02 PM
So far:
The Black Mages (mostly Those Who Fight Further as general battle music)
Halo 2 Soundtrack

Coming up:
Pirates of the Caribbean (will go well with ensuing airship combat. Yay Ebberon!)

Burgo McSock
2007-06-12, 09:42 PM
Kamelot, DragonForce, Hammerfall - hell almost any good power metal can create a good atmosphere for combat.

For something more peaceful or suspenceful I find that music from games such as Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights etc or soundtrack music from Lord of the Rings , Star Wars etc works well.

Accolon
2007-06-13, 11:13 PM
I don't use music during the sessions, but I have a collection of Celtic music including Empty Hats, Tartan Terrors, and music from the Penn Ren Faire as well as LotR, Pirates of the Carb, and Star Wars soundtracks that I use when I write my adventures and campaigns. Music is more important to me than it is to my group, and it inspires my writing. I think at the table, for my group, it would be a distraction.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-14, 02:34 AM
"Another One Bitest The Dust" is quite applicable for a Paranoia session...

Other than that, I don't usually do music, but if I do it's something atmospherical and instrumental. Enya perhaps.