PDA

View Full Version : Item Question!!

SMac8988
2015-12-24, 02:12 PM
Hello all. So I am working on building a half orc totem barbarian, he will be an outlander and my idea is he will be very primative. Speaking parical sentences and referring to himself in third person.

My issue is my goal was for him to weild like a half tree as a club, but i feel a great club is more like a 3 foot stick and isnt even heavy. Is there a way i could weild a large size great club and it be considered heavy two handed in the normal rules for 5e, or is there no way to do that. I was playiing on getting the heavy weapon feat at level 4, and really like the flavor of a massive wooden club. (Think Cray from Breath of Fire IV)

snacksmoto
2015-12-24, 02:33 PM
Why not have the great club fluffed as what you're thinking but have the mechanical stats of a maul? The general concept is similar, that of a two-handed, heavy bludgeoning weapon.

SMac8988
2015-12-24, 02:38 PM
I was thinking that, hoping my dm would approve, but also just wondering how large items worked. Idk maybe if damage would be better for a large vs maul. But i feel large great club would probably give disadvantage to every attack.....

snacksmoto
2015-12-24, 03:05 PM
I was thinking of a "regular sized" great club. If you're thinking of an oversized great club then I would think that it would be a similar situation as the Heavy weapon attribute for small characters. In that your medium sized character would wield an oversized great club, always attack with a disadvantage roll. The damage, I think, would be trickier. Huge weapons wielded by huge creatures tend to do double the standard dice, but your character is a medium sized Half-Orc. Perhaps it could have the damage bonus as a regular weapon would under the effect of Enlarge (+1d4), simply due to the oversized great club's huge size? I'd need other playgrounder's inputs on the damage balance as I haven't poked around in that area too much.

SMac8988
2015-12-24, 03:11 PM
Ya hopefully we can get some more ideas. I may try and get some build ideas as well. My goal is to go bear totem and make a hyper aggressive tank. I wish there was a feat so i could use my reaction to take hits for other players.

EvanescentHero
2015-12-24, 07:13 PM
There are no rules for wielding weapons of different sizes. Just use a maul and call it a day, because any homebrew for a weapon too big for your character will likely end with disadvantage to every attack roll. Once you get Reckless Attack, you can cancel that out, but that's hardly a worthwhile trade for every enemy getting advantage to hit you.

SMac8988
2015-12-24, 10:48 PM
Awesome, thanks. I was looking at the tavern brawler feat too, just incase my dm wants to count my main weapon as improvised. That a good play?

Inevitability
2015-12-25, 08:23 AM
Really, this situation needs no mechanical adjustments. Take a maul, refluff it as a log. If you feel the need to explain why not all logs are this powerful, say this one was blessed by your shaman.

SMac8988
2015-12-25, 09:16 AM
That works really well. I'll probably do that prior to them having been killed off and him into slavery.