PDA

View Full Version : Living Undeath and Saving A Life

Uncle Half
2015-12-25, 03:01 AM
Greetings fellow adventurers!
Today i'd like to ask you about using necromancy, and specifically - using necromancy to save a life.

Let's say we have a character who will die in a few hours because of critical organ failure. He soaked too much rads (i have a custom fallout+dnd story), and even though they were flushed away, he is still far from being stable. There is no cleric nearby to "Restoration" him, but we have a dread necromancer capable of casting Living Undeath. Description of the spell says that it temporarily bypasses target's vital processes. Does that mean that while our character is under the effect of this spell, he is going to survive trough this? I'd really like to hear your opinion about this. Cheers!

Esprit15
2015-12-25, 03:26 AM
It depends on whether you read halting of biological processes as flavor text or rules text. The name seems excessive for just immunity to critical hits, so that kind of reading seems fine. However, does this grant an undead' immunity to all other fortitude effects that don't call out bypassing immunity? What would the extent of coverage for a second level spell be?

Uncle Half
2015-12-25, 04:07 AM
This makes sense, i suppose. Undead immuntites for a 2-nd level spell is too much. But heck, perhaps i might apply metamagic. I know that there is nothing to maximise or empower with maximized/empowered spell, but perhaps it might be applied as means of inceasing spell's level. (comes to mind: spending additional power points as a psionic character to manifest additional effects)

Uncle Pine
2015-12-25, 04:22 AM
Since "critical organ failure" and "its vital processes are temporarily bypassed with no seeming ill effect" are both flavour text, I'd be inclined to say that it works.

Inevitability
2015-12-25, 05:46 AM
Well, he might survive it, but organ damage isn't going to stop or reverse itself. And the spell lasts only 1 minute per level.

So yeah, unless you are just a few minutes short of reaching the cleric, all you'll do is extend his life a bit.