PDA

View Full Version : DM Help One Shot for Newbies

FocusWolf413
2015-12-25, 08:05 PM
I was asked to run a game for some people who have never played D&D before. *
I hate the whole game idea of "You are sent by ____ to get/rescue/find ________." It's cliche, it's overused, it's bland, and it just isn't me.
Can I please have critiques on my game idea?

We start out third level using only core pathfinder races and classes, with the exception of there being no monk, the rogue is the unchained version, and I'm adding the DSP soulknife and a slightly modified 3.5 warlock. I will help them put together their characters.

Everyone needs to figure out one crime that their character is guilty of. I'm kind of taking a page out of Way of the Wicked here. They must have committed the crime, and they must have gotten caught.* Crimes range from heresy to assassination to poison making to slave trade.* Anything that can be roleplayed works.

All characters are sentenced to Death of Personality.* In one week, a group of telepaths will play around with their heads and modify their personalities, changing things until they have something they can use.* At least, as far as they know.

They first see each other when they are introduced to the prison.* Cue the intro scene from The Boiling Rock part 2. Anyone who speaks back is either hit with a bullwhip or a club. Anyone who attacks is beaten unconscious.* All of them are forced to introduce themselves, say a bit about themselves, and say what their crime was. They get processed, strip searched, washed down, covered in that lice killer stuff, dressed, handcuffed, and gagged if they are casters.

DC 20 sense motive to notice that the guards are under compulsions.

They go to their cells and are stuck there for the first day.* They are not fed or watered. Their handcuffs are not removed.* Fort saves or they soil themselves.* Fort saves vs fatigue.

Day 2, they are taken to a concrete room with a drain.* They are forced to strip, then they are sprayed down with a fire hose with freezing water.* They're dressed and shoved into the mess hall for breakfast.* All of them are forced to sit at the same table.* They can now talk.

After ten or fifteen minutes of real time, they are assigned their job.* All of them work in the laundry area.

After four hours, they are taken to the prison yard.* I'm assuming they all gather around one another.* I can only prevent so much metagaming on their part.* After six minutes or so of more conversing, someone walks up to them.

He's a man in the same brownish prison outfits as the rest of them.* What stands out right away is his clean hair and neatly trimmed beard.* He smells slightly of roses.

"Normally, I would take time to introduce myself or get to know you, but I don't have time and you don't have any friends here yet. Walk with me."
"I know you don't have much time left here.* I don't either.* Today is my last day, but considerable time has been spent on a plan and I don't want the knowledge of it to be lost. Are you in?"

If any of them consider turning him in, he says the following: "You want to turn me in? Go ahead. I have nothing to lose. You don't either."

Eventually, if (when) the party decides to listen to him, he says a less abbreviated version of, "I worked on the plumbing in the laundry room.* There's a false pipe that they don't know about.* No water passes through it.* Inside is a map, a small journal, a few knives, a pair of adamantine tipped wire cutters, and a couple lockpicks. There's a detailed plan of where to go, when to go, and how to get there.* Do you have any questions?"

He spends half an hour or so of real time talking to them and answering questions.* After that, he needs to go.

They go back to work later.

When they decide to open the pipe, it has everything he promised.* It has the weapons, the picks, the map, and the journal.* A quick glance at the journal reveals that it is a description of where to go and when.* It says that they should try to escape towards the end of their second shift of the day, as that is when the guards are most tired and least attentive.* It says that they should go down the hallway, take the first right, the second left, knock in a four-one-three pattern on the forth oak door with iron bands, and follow the path that way.

Once they enter the door, they come upon a 10x10 room with a door on either end and one sleepy guard reading a book.* The door is covered in sheet steel and has a silver plated handle, and locks from the side with the guard.
Through the door is another room.* It has glass vials of water, a few healing potions, some regular guards' gear (clubs, daggers, leather armor) as well as silver tipped spears, crossbows with silver tipped bolts, two silver arming swords, a few silver daggers, and 2 scrolls with Protection from Evil.* They have a few minutes to relax.

In the next room (which is locked from the armory side), there are 3 guards with crossbows sitting behind barricades, facing the door on the opposite side that the party enters.

The party takes them by surprise. They're pinned, can't call for help, and as they're killed, one of them asks the party to not release the beast.

The door is thick steel. Four thick steel bolts hold the door closed. They are opened by turning a brass wheel in the center.

The door opens to a large circular room.* The walls are steel. Five chairs sit by the door. There are four concentric circles of silver set into the floor with engraved runes. An easy spellcraft check reveals that each circle is a redundant protection from evil, protection from law, and dimensional anchor, with the innermost circle containing an antimagic field. In the innermost circle is a man in a black suit sitting in a simple chair at a simple desk. He writes with a quill and red ink on a piece of parchment. His entire desk is covered in folders packed with parchment.

He doesn’t react until one of the characters says something.

"You're not here at the right time... hmm... no matter.* Did the Warden sen- no. You smell like blood. You're not guards. Why are you here?"

The party members are most likely confused at this point. Some questioning reveals that he's been here a long while, and he recognizes the man who smelled of roses.

"Oh, him? I haven't seen Samuel in fifteen years. It's really a shame that he's gone now. No matter. What's done is done. We should focus on new opportunities. I think that we could potentially have a mutually beneficial relationship. A simple exchange of services is all I ask. You break these circles, and I free you from this prison. In fact, I can purge all files connecting you with this place and your crimes if you want. All you need to do is scratch the circles. What do you say?"

A DC 15 Arcane or Religion check reveals that those spells are used to hold Devils. A DC 15 Planes check reveals that Devils are week against silver.

If they show any knowledge about who he is, he says the following:
"Yes, but there's far worse things out there than things like me. Part of the Pact Primeval says that a soul can only be claimed if it has free will. The only people who are damned damn themselves."
"Do you know of the major powers of the planes? If you don't, let me debrief you. Baator has things such as me. There are the archons, eladrin, and angels of the upper planes. There are the various elemental lords on their planes. There's the damned Demons of the Abyss. When we all fight and compete for control, there's a sense of order and balance. Strife brings all groups strength.* This is how it's been for millenia.
Problem is, there are other groups out there. Beings that were unheard of when the Pact was signed. Beings that make things... messy.
There's abominations that roam the planes, corrupting all they find, destroying the free will of mortals. When they feed, there's nothing left. Oblivion is far, far worse than any damnation.
The people who run this prison pretend they "rehabilitate" their prisoners. They're just slaves of the mind flayers."
"What do you think?"

This is as far as I've gotten. I'm not planning on this devil betraying the party.

It's kind of railroady, but it's a one shot game and they've never played D&D before, so I need to railroad them a bit.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

John Longarrow
2015-12-26, 08:49 PM
To me, it sounds like a the start of a very long and intricate game. I'd say its a bit too deep for a one shot.

A very fun one shot I used was an arena battle. PCs get caught up for what ever reasons you wish (Purchased slaves, right off the farm looking for glory, fight or go to prison, ect...)

In the arena, as soon as the party enters, they see one guy standing in the middle. They are one of four groups (all the same size) that are coming in the four doors. As they enter then announcer begins going through his prattle, describing the other three groups who strike poses as they get ready. When it comes to the party he announces 'And the Rabble, leftovers and dregs from every gutter and slipway this side of the great muddy!'

The RPing is done with one on one sessions to get the party together, then between the party members as they find out what's about to happen.

Then the lights go out and everyone gets a round to prepare.

Then the 4th level sword sage were-dire bat in the middle starts his 10 round countdown. He's gotta drop EVERYONE else to win. Otherwise, anyone else left standing is the winner.

From the DMs perspective this lets you build 3 teams that you've already worked out the actions for. Party gets to see how combat is done and how groups work together. In my fight one group with 6 guys outfitted like legionares. Second with 3 sisters who were warlocks with their 3 body guards. Third was archers behind guys with tower shields.

The fight was a blast since the other three groups went right for the were-bat. One party member was left standing at the end. Fast paced fight. I also explained what each group was doing as they did it so I could teach movement rules and combat rules. Part was the warlocks with their touch attacks VS archers with their ranged dex based attacks VS legion with javelins using str based ranged attacks. Also covered AoOs, movement, delaying actions, and full defense.

Note: dire bat is a fantastically cheesy lycanthrope. Sucker dropped 23 of 24 enemies in 10 rounds using twf and unarmed attackes. The ONE survivor is the party member who didn't get anywhere near the sucker.

Bronk
2015-12-27, 12:28 PM
It's kind of railroady, but it's a one shot game and they've never played D&D before, so I need to railroad them a bit.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

The way it is now, I think your new players would be extremely bored. It's not so much that it's railroady, it's more that there's literally nothing for the players to do for what looks so far to be a few hours worth of game, followed by one fight, then more exposition. I know you summed it up in a few paragraphs, but with multiple people especially, every scene will end up being half an hour at least, and every time someone asks if they can do something, you'll have to shut them down, which isn't very fun for a player.

Since your players are all newbies, I would want to make sure they had a fun time playing their characters right off the bat, and give them more freedom in choosing their characters and equipment. You can come up with something that doesn't seem overused to you, but remember that what may seem like cliche to you might not for a new player. You can ease the players into the planar aspects of the game gradually... maybe just tease it in their first game.

The idea you have now would be good for a second campaign, maybe with the most of the wandering around useless in the beginning cut out. At that point, you could reduce how railroady it seems by shortening their incarceration, then letting them escape on their own and have them find their own equipment that was taken from them. Then they can run into the demon and make a deal with it, if they're playing evil characters.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that if this is these players' first game, you should try to keep it fairly simple so they can get the hang of it, and try to keep the action and interesting events coming so that they stay interested and engaged, and will want to play again to learn more.

FocusWolf413
2015-12-27, 12:38 PM
Duly noted.

Bronk
2015-12-27, 01:15 PM
Duly noted.

Well, all that said, you know these guys better than we do. Maybe if you warn them ahead of time that they're going to be losing their stuff for a while?

Other ideas:

Cliche: Everyone meets in a bar, which gets attacked by orcs/skeletons/etc, everyone bonds, and off to new adventures!

Maybe not as cliche?: Some people are called together because they're adventurers, and tasked with investigating a murder mystery?

John Longarrow
2015-12-27, 01:20 PM
Another standard into that can work really well is a sea voyage. As 1st level characters, let the players know ahead of time you need them to build characters who are heading to a colony. They get a half hour or so to 'talk things out' as they travel on the ship. Once they get to the new city you can sandbox it.

Only hassle is the hour or so prep time it takes pre-game to work out what each player is looking to do. As a one shot, you can work out the five or six main story lines they could be going through and have them ready, then just see which way it goes. Be prepared for the big bar fight when the party goes in and the thief tries picking someone's pockets... B-)

Uncle Pine
2015-12-27, 01:41 PM
I don't think that stripping everyone in the party of his belongings in the first 15 minutes of his session is going to set the right mood for a happy career as a d&d player. Yes, these things happen, but they're better received if they follow the players' choices instead of their characters' backgrounds. However, if you know your players will enjoy it due to previous experience you had with them outside the table, then go with it.
However, as it stands your first session seems to lack options: there are too many "the players do this" compared to the "if the players do this, otherwise" and that's why the whole session looks "railroady". Moreover, unless you plan to turn this one-shot into a full fledged adventure path, the exposition is a bit too thick for a single day worth of hack and slashing. One-shots are usually straight and rather simple: for example, when I had to throw a one-shot tutorial for an entire group of newbies I literally had them play through the first couple of hours of Pokémon Red and Blue, up to Brock, with bandits and giant bees in the forest and with Brock being a black dwarf with a bunch of Small earth elementals at his service. I did change all the names though, so they didn't know the setting was a Pokémon expy until they got a badge at the end of the one-shot.

Troacctid
2015-12-27, 01:43 PM
The whole intro section is boring. Well, okay, not boring per se, it's a perfectly good plot, but since the players don't have any agency for any part of it, there's no real reason to actually run them through it. Narrate it instead, like you did for us, and have them start at the point where they have meaningful gameplay decisions to make.

FocusWolf413
2015-12-27, 06:51 PM
To everyone who keeps saying that I'm stripping them of their items: no. They never chose items during character creation.

I like the colonist idea. That seems like it could work.

I could make them new arrivals to a recently established colony. They board a ship and get an intro to combat against a group of 4 stowaways that want to commandeer the ship who attack 5 hours after they set sail. When they arrive, they find the town in a slight state of turmoil. One of the priests and two of his friends (a halfling and a half orc) recently shot a guard and the high priest/mayor and ran off with three horses. They're charged with heresy, attempted murder, and horse thievery. The bounty is 15m0gp and a house per head. No bounty is awarded for attached heads. If they don't have a ranger to track them, I'll give them a couple dogs.

They fight a band of Gnolls. On one of the bodies, they find an intricate, beautifully drawn map of the island with the location of the gnoll tribe and the town.

Eventually, they come upon the camp of the wanted criminals. There's a frail, grandfatherly looking man, a youngish halfling ranger, and a very well dressed and well groomed half orc fighter. The party is invited over for lunch/dinner and a cup of tea.

If the party attacks, the halfling runs with the old man and the half orc stalls the party, tripping them with a reach weapon.

If they don't attack, the old man reveals that he was working late and he overheard the mayor talking to a gnoll about selling the other colonists as slaves or food. The map is in his handwriting. In heat sensitive ink, there's a note to only take three a week. They're sold for 30 gp each.

If they present this evidence to the guard captain, he'll pay the party 100 per member to apprehend him. This money is taken from the high priest's estate.

If they killed the people, when they go back to the captain, he reports that three people have recently gone missing and that there's evidence of gnolls. If they show him the map, they don't get paid for apprehending the mayor, but won't be tried for murder.

Cue boss fight.

Afterwards, if there's time in the game, they can take care of the gnoll tribe.

Callin
2015-12-28, 07:56 AM
There is always the ole Village is Holding a Festival and then gets attacked. Let the PCs use some skills in some games. Then maybe a group of Bandits show up and they fight a small group followed by the Bandit Leader.

Or Goblins are always a good stand by.

Makes for a good oneshot and teaches the game at the same time.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-28, 08:25 AM
To everyone who keeps saying that I'm stripping them of their items: no. They never chose items during character creation.
If you introduced classes like the Fighter to the players in any way other than "Full BAB, good Fort, low Ref and Will, extra feats every other level", having them start the session naked without any weapon, piece of armor or equipment is effectively the same as stripping them of their items. It's just that in this case they were expected items, because Fighter was introduced as "a trained warrior versed in the use of heavy weapons and armors, with many combat tricks up his sleeve".

I really like this new idea you described: it starts with a quick fight, it's simple but it has a twist, it shows that killing everyone on sight isn't always the best course of action and that diplomacy (not necessarily the skill) can pay off and teaches the players to never assume that their employers can be trusted. Last but not least it flows and looks generally enjoyable. Two thumbs up!

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-28, 09:14 AM
I'm going to drop my plug for my level 1 adventure path, "A Murder Most Pungent". Though it is intended to be run by a solely wizard party, it was not designed with that in mind. It can be run by a party of 4 level 1 characters of any classes. It introduces many different basic mechanics with a step by step process. (Social situations, combat, branching paths, stuck doors, traps, stealth, locked doors, puzzle encounters, boss fight, resolution)

It is built using only SRD material and is easy to convert to pathfinder by re-balancing the monster numbers to keep the encounters at the listed CR (pathfinder rats are more deadly than 3.5 rats).

It functions well as a silly oneshot while still leaving the ending open to continuing the adventure. I am quite proud of it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?333117-Moldrake-s-School-CCC

I leave it on the forum for others to copy.