PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reaper's Blade - New Cleric and Warlock Cantrip

DracoKnight
2015-12-25, 08:55 PM
So with the introduction of green-flame blade and booming blade to 5e, I decided to make a necromancy version of the gish cantrips, so that the Death Cleric and Undying Warlock could have something to play with. :smallsmile: So, without further ado, here is reaper's blade (https://docs.google.com/document/d/12-Xxlg2P9m9RwWtDm82nz1kD-4DJic2QTXsj_5O4Qz4/edit?usp=sharing).

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-25, 09:55 PM
This would be a huge boon to the Death Cleric. Since, as long as they had two enemies right next to each other, they'd essentially get an Extra Attack. I like it thematically - and the Death Cleric is an extremely niche option, but it gives the Death Cleric some pretty serious staying power at lower levels; whereas the healing will be trivial at best when you reach higher levels.

EDIT: when combined with Touch of Death, this is seriously powerful.

khadgar567
2015-12-26, 05:47 AM
This would be a huge boon to the Death Cleric. Since, as long as they had two enemies right next to each other, they'd essentially get an Extra Attack. I like it thematically - and the Death Cleric is an extremely niche option, but it gives the Death Cleric some pretty serious staying power at lower levels; whereas the healing will be trivial at best when you reach higher levels.

EDIT: when combined with Touch of Death, this is seriously powerful.
I honest opinion it's not op to f two guys with same turn hell if you use home brew then pop void patrons 14 power after this and watch them become religious on the spot by Cthulhu revaluations

ji6
2015-12-26, 01:40 PM
I just imagine necromancers everywhere carrying around a bag of rats and cutting them down during breaks to get their HP filled. If I was a necromancer, I would go donate my blood (or kidneys) then be an exterminator for a living. Big money.

EDIT: To be more clear with my point, I more worry about the out of combat usage of this cantrip.

DracoKnight
2015-12-26, 04:12 PM
I just imagine necromancers everywhere carrying around a bag of rats and cutting them down during breaks to get their HP filled. If I was a necromancer, I would go donate my blood (or kidneys) then be an exterminator for a living. Big money.

EDIT: To be more clear with my point, I more worry about the out of combat usage of this cantrip.

I added a clause that would fix that issue: "you recover hit points equal to half the damage dealt, if the target is hostile to you."

CantigThimble
2015-12-26, 05:27 PM
I think the issue is that cantrips shouldn't be able to restore HP in any way, shape or form. There's going to be a way to abuse them.

DracoKnight
2015-12-26, 05:33 PM
I think the issue is that cantrips shouldn't be able to restore HP in any way, shape or form. There's going to be a way to abuse them.

Okay. What rider effect would you give this? green-flame blade does secondary target damage, booming blade does additional damage on a move...maybe you can't heal for damage dealt by reaper's blade? Except that you don't see enemies healing all that often.

MoleMage
2015-12-26, 05:37 PM
Temporary hit points have the advantage of not stacking. Serves a similar purpose with much more limited out of combat potential.

DracoKnight
2015-12-26, 05:38 PM
Temporary hit points have the advantage of not stacking. Serves a similar purpose with much more limited out of combat potential.

Okay, I like this.

EDIT: I made the change. Instead of healing for half, you get temporary hit points equal to half.

ji6
2015-12-26, 06:06 PM
Okay, I like this.

EDIT: I made the change. Instead of healing for half, you get temporary hit points equal to half.

I like this a lot better! Seems balanced and awesome now! Kinda wish necromancer wizards got it too, but they already have all the awesome stuff :p

Edit: I even think the hostile clause seems reasonable to remove now, since it seems weird that attacking them with a blade did not make them hostile

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-26, 10:37 PM
Welp, I will be giving this to my players.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-01-01, 11:16 PM
i love the rework with the temp hp, definitely something thats nice without it being too op.

I honest opinion it's not op to f two guys with same turn hell if you use home brew then pop void patrons 14 power after this and watch them become religious on the spot by Cthulhu revaluations

is that a reference to my void lock?