PDA

View Full Version : He-e-e-ere Mr Scruffy.....

CDR Grendelwulf
2007-06-12, 03:19 PM
Roy's gone!
Miko's gone!
Azure City is in ruins!

We need a small vision of hope! Of renewal! Like a small flower blooming amidst the carnage...

Where, oh where, has our lil' Mr Scruffy gone?!?

Ciao,
CDR Grendelwulf

AyuVince
2007-06-12, 03:41 PM
By posting this, you have ensured Mr Scruffy's cameo in one of the next five strips. The OotS fan base would like to extend their gratefulness to you and present you with fifty free internets. :smallbiggrin:

Somehow I have a feeling Mr Scruffy will be the first to check on O-Chul. After all, he was responsible for his kitty litter.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 03:43 PM
Mr. Scruffy died to ensure Miko could not escape.

Scruffy died so the comic's humor could live.

Spiryt
2007-06-12, 03:47 PM
Mr. Scruffy died to ensure Miko could not escape.

Scruffy died so the comic's humor could live.

I relly hope not...
He would die for vain, cause its hard to escape when your legs (not only) are off. :smalltongue:

Besides, Miko never threaten comic's humour... Some best jokes was connected partialy or completetly with her.
No reading, hah.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 03:50 PM
I relly hope not...
He would die for vain, cause its hard to escape when your legs (not only) are off. :smalltongue:

Besides, Miko never threaten comic's humour... Some best jokes was connected partialy or completetly with her.
No reading, hah.

I disagree with you entirely.

I have distinctly been less satisfied with the comic's humor ever since Miko appeared.

CDR Grendelwulf
2007-06-12, 03:54 PM
Surely, Mr Scruffy would have an extra life or two left over.
He was most likely in the castle, if not in the thronw room at the very least Hinjo might have taken him in.

At the very least, Mr Scruffy could find O'Chul for Hinjo and get the whole story of the final confrontation in the throne room.

Ciao,
CDR Grendelwulf

Spiryt
2007-06-12, 03:58 PM
I disagree with you entirely.

I have distinctly been less satisfied with the comic's humor ever since Miko appeared.

I don;t think it works that way - truly she wasn't vet funny character. But other Belkar/Elan/anyone were still fun like hell.

And Miko... I didn't like her, she was well houlier than thou to exaggeration. But she brought so much drama, thrill et cetera to somic. It become fascinating profound, not only funny. I remember i didn't like it... prefered first funny nonsense strips. But recent strips were masterwork.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 04:01 PM
I don;t think it works that way - truly she wasn't vet funny character. But other Belkar/Elan/anyone were still fun like hell.

And Miko... I didn't like her, she was well houlier than thou to exaggeration. But she brought so much drama, thrill et cetera to somic. It become fascinating profound, not only funny. I remember i didn't like it... prefered first funny nonsense strips. But recent strips were masterwork.

See right around when Miko appeared, that's when things started getting horribly dramatic.

I started reading this comic because it was a humor comic, if I wanted drama I would have gone elsewhere.

Twilight Jack
2007-06-12, 04:15 PM
See right around when Miko appeared, that's when things started getting horribly dramatic.

I started reading this comic because it was a humor comic, if I wanted drama I would have gone elsewhere.

Funny, I started reading this comic obsessively when it stopped being a gag-a-day gaming comic. There are plenty of those. Order of the Stick went beyond that to become something unique and engaging. If you just want jokes, perhaps you should go elsewhere. I don't say that with any hostility; it's just an honest observation that what this comic has become is not what you claim to want in a comic. I blame the aardvark.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 04:17 PM
Funny, I started reading this comic obsessively when it stopped being a gag-a-day gaming comic. There are plenty of those. Order of the Stick went beyond that to become something unique and engaging. If you just want jokes, perhaps you should go elsewhere. I don't say that with any hostility; it's just an honest observation that what this comic has become is not what you claim to want in a comic. I blame the aardvark.

I blame Miko.

And I say the people who encourage the drama and the arguing and the hate on the boards should go elsewhere. The boards were friendly enjoyable places when it was a joke-a-day gag comic. The people who enjoy the drama seem to cause the problems.

Spiryt
2007-06-12, 04:19 PM

Drat, but it still has jokes where;s the problem. But yes, i still think that early jokes were tha best. But I also thin that even better, climatic jokes would come. Travel to Western Continent sounds really promising.

Alex Warlorn
2007-06-12, 04:20 PM
Where IS that self serving cat?

Admiral_Kelly
2007-06-12, 04:29 PM
Do you know what I say? Good riddance.

Why dose anyone honestly care about the fate of Mr.Scruffy? The only thing Mr.Scruffy did was provide Shojo as part of his senility act. Hell, I wouldn't even consider Mr.Scruffy a charachter. And the damn thing is a cat. I hope he died in the explosion.

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 04:32 PM

Why dose anyone honestly care about the fate of Mr.Scruffy? The only thing Mr.Scruffy did was provide Shojo as part of his senility act. Hell, I wouldn't even consider Mr.Scruffy a charachter. And the damn thing is a cat. I hope he died in the explosion.

I think I found a bitter Miko fan.

Cheer up, I'm sure she'll have lots of fun in hell.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-06-12, 04:34 PM
Actually, this has nothing to do with Miko. I've always hated the cat and any time the cat gets is more content taken away from everything else.

Spiryt
2007-06-12, 04:41 PM

Dunno, maybe you are joking, but you seems to be some animal hater...

I hope Scruffy is okay, sure he can't develop plot - he's a cat.
On other way, cats can do pretty amazing things, so maybe...

And Belkar must have animal companion. Eye of fear and fleam doesn't fit.

Actually, this has nothing to do with Miko. I've always hated the cat and any time the cat gets is more content taken away from everything else.

I really don't know whats to hate in him. And, to hell, what time he got?
Maybe you are angre cause paladins must clean his literbox?

Twilight Jack
2007-06-12, 04:42 PM
I blame Miko.

And I say the people who encourage the drama and the arguing and the hate on the boards should go elsewhere. The boards were friendly enjoyable places when it was a joke-a-day gag comic. The people who enjoy the drama seem to cause the problems.

That's rather overly general, I think. I think it's more accurate to say that the people who enjoy the problems seem to cause the problems. That's a different sort of drama then that of a webcomic.

But I do agree that Miko was a polarizing force in the community. I happen not to mind, since I enjoy Miko as a character and I don't get too personally attached to my own speculation. I think the very fact that we've had a couple years worth of speculation and debate regarding the meaning of a stick figure paladin is quite the testament to Giant's abilities as a storyteller.

The unpleasantness comes when folks take Miko!love and Miko!hate too much to heart. They take their opinions on the girl's alignment/motivations/psychology/status a bit too personally and only the strict moderation of the forums keeps this place from becoming every bit as bloody a battleground as Azure City currently is.

Hel65
2007-06-12, 04:45 PM
I blame Miko.

Umm, that is an... interesting statement in a post filled with thinly veiled hate.

bdh5533
2007-06-12, 04:50 PM
Where IS that self serving cat?

indeed. What would be fun is if Mr. Scruffy had a replacement gem for the tear on his collar :D

Psychonaut
2007-06-12, 04:51 PM
I blame Miko.

Besides what others have said, couldn't this just be an effect of the ever-increasing size of the OotS fanbase? More fans = more people posting on the boards = more opportunities for conflict (and more work for the moderators to keep the problems to a minimum)

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 04:52 PM
Besides what others have said, couldn't this just be an effect of the ever-increasing size of the OotS fanbase? More fans = more people posting on the boards = more opportunities for conflict (and more work for the moderators to keep the problems to a minimum)

It's possible, but the events in the comic also seem to correlate to the general mood of the boards. It's hard to start big dramatic arguments about joke-a-day strips y'know?

CDR Grendelwulf
2007-06-12, 04:59 PM

Awww, you really like Mr Scruffy, don't you?
This is just you being defensive because you're worried about the little guy as well. It's okay....I understand.... :smallsmile:

Ciao,
CDR Grendelwulf

Ava
2007-06-12, 05:02 PM
I bet Mr. Scruffy actually has the real crystal shard thing on his collar... the one on the throne that was destroyed was just a fake!

Alchemistmerlin
2007-06-12, 05:03 PM
I bet Mr. Scruffy actually has the real crystal shard thing on his collar... the one on the throne that was destroyed was just a fake!

While I would find that infinitely humorous, I think Soon would know where the Gate Gem was, and he claimed it was destroyed.

Psychonaut
2007-06-12, 05:08 PM
It's possible, but the events in the comic also seem to correlate to the general mood of the boards. It's hard to start big dramatic arguments about joke-a-day strips y'know?

Heh, you posted this just as I was changing my post to read "also" instead of "just" and making other minor alterations. (Changed it back since you've already quoted me.)

Agreed.

AyuVince
2007-06-13, 12:41 PM
I wonder if Mr Scruffy has paladin levels. I mean, after all, intelligent animals can gain class levels. Anyone familiar with the druid spell "Awaken"?

Forevergrey
2007-06-13, 12:49 PM
http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/pet.jpg

RobbyPants
2007-06-13, 02:12 PM
Where, oh where, has our lil' Mr Scruffy gone?!?
Probably off terrorizing some commoners (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=695175)!

evileeyore
2007-06-13, 05:33 PM
I bet Mr. Scruffy actually has the real crystal shard thing on his collar... the one on the throne that was destroyed was just a fake!There are two problems with that...

1 - The Gates are not moveable. Which makes it a great idea if you never want your pet to ever be able to move while wearing thier collar....

2 - This is the twist in another movie. So I think the Giant might just try to aviod anything so blatantly obvious.

Probably off terrorizing some commoners (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=695175)!Classic D&D Humor.

Also why I Hate D&D.:smallwink:

RobbyPants
2007-06-14, 09:05 AM
Classic D&D Humor.

Also why I Hate D&D.:smallwink:
It does illustrate a bit of a problem with the system :smallwink:

Still, that thread was (is) made of win. I wrote a program in VB to simulate anywhere from 1 to 10,000 battles between Fluffy and Steve (the cat and commoner). There were certain parameters you could set (weapons, ability scores, etc...). It was a wonderful waste of time! :smallbiggrin:

truemane
2007-06-14, 01:16 PM

You know what, I completely understand your disapointment that the comic has moved in a direciton with which you are unhappy. And I completely sympathise with the fact that the forums were a smaller and more cozy place to post back in the day.

Really. No sarcasm, I get that.

But the rules lawyers and D&D players cause JUST as much conflict over the consistency and place of the rules in the comic as any drama-addict. I mean, just today there's a 120+ post argument over what Haley's Charisma is.

Internet forums attract opinionated people who like to argue. OoTS is not unque in the regard, no matter the tone of the strip.

Krytha
2007-06-14, 01:24 PM
Of course, merlin is also missing other factors. Board size for example - at this point the forums are extremely large and back when it was haha goodnight, they were tiny. Mods could police more effectively and it was a closer-knit community - not just because it was a simple joke strip. More popular = more people = more opinions.

The Familiar
2007-06-14, 01:39 PM

Given that Mr. Scruffy disappeared right after Miko attacked Lord Shojo, the incident happened the day before the current battle and everyone has been so busy preparing for the battle, I'd say Mr. Scruffy had ample time to sneak out of the Palace.

My hypothesis is that Mr. Scruffy is curled up somewhere on Hinjo's Junk, watching the battle from there.

...It's a logical place after all, since it used to be Shojo's Junk...:smalltongue:

UncredibleHallq
2007-06-14, 08:34 PM
Re: drama:

This is not the first webcomic I've read that's made a transition from funny to serious. I suspect its that we humans are silly enough to want to be serious, and therefore given a forum to be funny, we eventually feel the need to use it for some Serious Purpose. It's disconcerting, but I'm willing to deal with it.

blademaster42
2007-06-15, 11:01 AM

You did not just go there. you really didn't.