PDA

View Full Version : Tavern Brawler Feat

SMac8988
2015-12-25, 11:05 PM
Hello giants, I am currently working i'm a half orc, totem barbarian. My goal is, as of now, to use a reflavored mail that will look like a potion of a tree. I know some dm would consider this improvised, and the damage be the same for the maul.

With that, how does everyone feel about the tavern brawler feat? I like the idea of the improved unarmed damage, plus +1 Str and prof with improvised weapons.

Just tying to feel out the feat!

Felvion
2015-12-25, 11:49 PM
I'm not so sure about the usefullness of the feat. It would make sense if you intend of frequently picking up random tree parts and use them as weapons. If you mean to have a specific club as your weapon, just call it a maul made out of wood. It would just have to be a bit bigger than a normal iron maul to be equally heavy.
The improved unarmed damage is not that important. You have other tools to use in case you find yourself unarmed both offensive (rage, reckless attack) and defensive (rage reduced damage).
I don't see a reason to pick up the feat. I can see there would be rp reasons but i feel the barbarian class depends a lot on stats and feats (the "right" ones). If you were a fighter i'd say go for it. They have 2 ASIs more and they can live with only 2 high stats (dex/str and con). Now you''ll only get 5 ASIs and you are going to need a lot of str/dex/con and maybe great weapon master or some other all around feat like alert or lucky.
Even if your character relies heavily on "tavern browler" theme roleplay around it. You don't need a feat to play an actual tavern browler. Just some skills and the proper attitude.

SwordChuck
2015-12-26, 12:21 AM
Hello giants, I am currently working i'm a half orc, totem barbarian. My goal is, as of now, to use a reflavored mail that will look like a potion of a tree. I know some dm would consider this improvised, and the damage be the same for the maul.

With that, how does everyone feel about the tavern brawler feat? I like the idea of the improved unarmed damage, plus +1 Str and prof with improvised weapons.

Just tying to feel out the feat!

If you are using a maul then it wouldn't be improvised.

The feat is great for three things.

1: Never not have a weapon.
2: Unarmed builds that don't allow/want monks
3: Grappling

You don't seem to need the feat. If you are reflavoring a maul then just use a maul and call it a tree branch or whatever. It is a special tree branch that cost (maul gp) to make weaponized the correct way. If you are picking up random tree parts then it would be a club or greatclub.

SMac8988
2015-12-26, 12:39 AM
Oh awesome thanks. So for a barb great weapon feat at 4, then max str con, and dex asap? Any other feats I should get?

djreynolds
2015-12-26, 04:19 AM
Would like to grapple in combat? Go for it. Could be fun?

Tanarii
2015-12-26, 05:32 AM
If you're picking up random tree branches, that's definitely an improvised weapon. Clubs and Greatclubs cost money, 2sp for a Greatclub. Or would take some time to fashion with an appropriate skill proficiency. Probably woodcarvers tools. Assuming an 8 hr day is required to net you the 5gp crafting progress per day, it'd take you 20 minutes with an appropriate tool proficiency to turn a tree branch into a Greatclub.

A maul isn't explicitly defined as metal (although certainly that's the dictionary definition), but it costs considerably more. It'd take additional shaping of a tree branch with an appropriate tool proficiency to reflect this. 10 gp for a maul means 2 days of downtime crafting it.

Sounds like a great reason to take a Background with Artisan's Tool Proficiency to me. :)