PDA

View Full Version : 3.5(e) Necromancy VS Psionics

Xar Zarath
2015-12-26, 12:32 AM
so I have read about how psionics cannot face against undead, at least not conventionally compared to the living creatures that can be controlled and charmed away.

So how the playgrounders play it out? Is necromancy tactically a better school and therefore a better way to face off against psionics?

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-26, 12:36 AM
so I have read about how psionics cannot face against undead, at least not conventionally compared to the living creatures that can be controlled and charmed away.

So how the playgrounders play it out? Is necromancy tactically a better school and therefore a better way to face off against psionics?Astral constructs are psionics' answer to the undead. They're constructs and so are basically immune to all of the worst things that the undead can dish out.

It's not a 100% perfect solution, as only shapers get the astral construct power natively, but it's worth spending a feat on for any psion.

Otherwise, just stand back and blast with an energy ray, energy ball, or concussion blast.

Troacctid
2015-12-26, 01:36 AM
Zombies tend to come in hordes, and undead have poor Reflex saves. Just blast them with an AoE damage power and that should clear them out nicely.

Alternately, target the necromancer controlling them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-26, 02:13 AM
In the same vein as astral constructs, a psicrystal combined with Metamorphosis can take anything most undead can dish out, especially with support from its psion. Turn it into your golem of choice or the largest animated object you can afford, and you're good. It'll wade through any non-spellcasting undead that isn't incorporeal; those, you can whomp with a blasty power.

Fizban
2015-12-26, 03:13 AM
I believe you are confusing psionics in general with Telepaths and "psionic" monsters in specific. Monsters with "psionic" abilities are often focused on mind-affecting powers that may be less effective against undead, but also often have illusion powers that may be more effective against mindless creatures which can't think their way out of a paper bag. Telepaths are of the character class Psion and specialize in mind powers, but still have plenty of access to other effects just as an Illusionist could easily learn a Fireball. Psions can do all the same general things as other casters, and their energy attack powers are almost always more effective because they use "choose energy type when casting"-ball rather than "fire"-ball.

Troacctid
2015-12-26, 03:26 AM
Monsters with "psionic" abilities are often focused on mind-affecting powers that may be less effective against undead, but also often have illusion powers that may be more effective against mindless creatures which can't think their way out of a paper bag.

What illusions are these?

Necroticplague
2015-12-26, 03:36 AM

So how the playgrounders play it out? Is necromancy tactically a better school and therefore a better way to face off against psionics?

You're gonna have to be a bit more specific. Both 'psionics' and 'necromancy' are very vague grouping with very little related to each other. For example, a minionmancer necromancer vs. telepath is a very different situation than a debuffer necromancer vs. shaper. Though I would like to note, Psionics is more powerful of the two, due to being a broader category (Necromancy is one subschool of magic, psionics is its own entire system).

backwaterj
2015-12-26, 04:18 AM
You're gonna have to be a bit more specific. Both 'psionics' and 'necromancy' are very vague grouping with very little related to each other. For example, a minionmancer necromancer vs. telepath is a very different situation than a debuffer necromancer vs. shaper. Though I would like to note, Psionics is more powerful of the two, due to being a broader category (Necromancy is one subschool of magic, psionics is its own entire system).

^ This. While an undead army can easily plow through an (unprepared) telepath, a debuffer would be completely ineffective against an astral construct or seven. And that's not even counting psychic warriors, soulknives, vampiric touch shenanigans etc.

Really the relative effectiveness of magic subsystems should be judged on a case-by-case basis, and clever planning trumps all.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-12-26, 11:50 AM
What illusions are these?
I think he means the non-psionic (basic MM1) aboleth, which gets hypnotic pattern, illusory wall, mirage arcana, persistent image, programmed image, project image and veil at CL 16. Mind flayers and yuan-ti don't have any illusions, couatls only have invisibility, and that's it for MM1 monsters.

Werephilosopher
2015-12-26, 04:07 PM
Zombies tend to come in hordes, and undead have poor Reflex saves. Just blast them with an AoE damage power and that should clear them out nicely.

Celestial conduit works well for clearing out hordes of undead.

MisterKaws
2015-12-26, 04:57 PM
Life Ardents throw as much positive energy as a healbot Cleric, maybe even more, and any psionic character can get that entire mantle for a single feat, so nope.

Edit: Oh, I had forgot it, but Light and Darkness mantle has anti-undead powers...

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-26, 05:14 PM
Life Ardents throw as much positive energy as a healbot Cleric, maybe even more, and any psionic character can get that entire mantle for a single feat, so nope.

Edit: Oh, I had forgot it, but Light and Darkness mantle has anti-undead powers...The only classes that can access mantles are ardents, divine minds, ACF psychic warriors, and ACF erudites. Nobody else can access them.

backwaterj
2015-12-26, 06:28 PM
If I read it correctly, all it takes is a one-level dip in any of these classes to take the feat, from which point you can freely access that mantle for any new powers learned, following the normal rules for learning powers. If you're specifically building your character with undead in mind I'd consider that a valid option.

MisterKaws
2015-12-26, 07:04 PM
The only classes that can access mantles are ardents, divine minds, ACF psychic warriors, and ACF erudites. Nobody else can access them.

Tap mantle feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-26, 07:10 PM
Tap mantle feat.Prerequisite(s): Access to one psionic mantle.

MisterKaws
2015-12-26, 09:35 PM
Prerequisite(s): Access to one psionic mantle.

Damn... Forgot that one.

Well, you can still get it pretty easily with a dip.