PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to roll20?

Togath
2015-12-26, 02:13 AM
So after yet another update I'm disliking(this time to pathfinder sheets), I've decided to give up on roll20, and find an alternative. Anyone have advice? Roll20 really is just driving away all the enjoyment of campaigns for me.

Saidoro
2015-12-26, 02:26 AM
Maptools (http://www.rptools.net/) probably presents the best alternative. Note that while Maptools is an all around more versatile and powerful toolbox than roll20, it's also less well supported and harder to learn, so be prepared for that if you choose to go with it.

Rallicus
2015-12-26, 08:36 AM
I feel like Maptool is kinda irrelevant at this point. When Roll20 launched it had a lot of features that Roll20 was lacking (comprehensive macros, line of sight, etc.) but now Roll20's got everything and more. I guess the only benefit of Maptool is the fact that line of sight and dynamic lighting is free.

It seems to me that the issues with the Pathfinder sheets was fixed, so you should probably check the forums. What was the previous update you disliked? Please don't tell me it was the switch to a less mobile-invasive interface. That garbage was so blown out of proportion that it hurt; Mentors were threatening to drop their subscription because their homepage and forums looked different. How a company continue to grow and provide new content when every update is so ridiculously scrutinized is beyond me.

To answer your question, though: no, there isn't a viable alternative. Fantasy Grounds is good from what I hear, and it even sells official APs and modules you can implement directly into your game. The negative, of course, is that there's no free option -- you have to subscribe, and the lowest price you can pay provides you with something that is woefully lacking. Maptool is... free. But it has a steep learning curve, and it's extremely bare bones. Not only that, but their character sheets make any bugs or glitches you're experiencing in Roll20 look minuscule in comparison.

Knaight
2015-12-26, 10:50 AM
I'd second maptools. It's a solid tool, and while there's a bit of a learning curve it works very well for what it does.

Saidoro
2015-12-26, 12:44 PM
I feel like Maptool is kinda irrelevant at this point. When Roll20 launched it had a lot of features that Roll20 was lacking (comprehensive macros, line of sight, etc.) but now Roll20's got everything and more. I guess the only benefit of Maptool is the fact that line of sight and dynamic lighting is free.

To answer your question, though: no, there isn't a viable alternative. Fantasy Grounds is good from what I hear, and it even sells official APs and modules you can implement directly into your game. The negative, of course, is that there's no free option -- you have to subscribe, and the lowest price you can pay provides you with something that is woefully lacking. Maptool is... free. But it has a steep learning curve, and it's extremely bare bones. Not only that, but their character sheets make any bugs or glitches you're experiencing in Roll20 look minuscule in comparison.

You're overstating the problems with maptools, it does have a bit less done for you in advance, but it avoids the problem of having things not work properly while not giving you the tools you need to fix them that often plagues roll20 sheets. Also, being free is a much larger thing than you seem to be implying. There are plenty of people who just straight-up can't pay for things online, and even for those who can the $10 a month price tag on being able to edit sheets does add up.

Madeiner
2015-12-26, 01:01 PM
I've been using maptools for many years now (like 5 years?)
I can't envision playing without it anymore. It speeds up my gameplay by a lot.
It costs nothing, i can customize what i need, there's not a single bug anymore, and it's full of very advanced options if i ever want to learn them.
It will work now, in 5 years, and in 20 years. Worst thing that can happen is that it's not updated anymore, but it works well enough at the moment.

I have briefly tried roll20, but it looked to me it had not even half of maptools features. Might be mistaken, as i didn't spend much time on it.

Anxe
2015-12-27, 05:18 PM
Doesn't D&D Online and one of the Baldur's Gate games let you design dungeons and have people run characters through them? It's certainly not the same, but its an alternative that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I've also just pointed my webcam at a battleboard in the past but I can't imagine that's better than Roll20 or Maptools for you.

Togath
2015-12-28, 02:28 PM
I may try maptools.
As for the update thing, the first thing was when the look of roll20 changed to it's awful purple and huge interface.
The second was when the sheets started auto calculated, and being updated more often. I don't want updates. I just want a tool.

Madeiner
2015-12-28, 03:41 PM
If you end up trying maptools and need some guidance, feel free to open a thread and pm me the link

Togath
2015-12-28, 07:34 PM
I may just be overreacting, now that I'm thinking more...
Like, it sounds like the issue I'm having may be an actual glitch, rather than a feature.
And I'm used to the layout change... I realized I was jsut looking for stuff to be upset about. ^///^;