PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trickster - multiclass suggestions

Nibenay
2015-12-26, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

The group I play in has just recently converted to 5e. This meant we took our long time characters and re-created them. My old character has been a wizard in one system, then rogue in another (as the wizard class wasn't ready), so Arcane Trickster kinda popped up as the logical choice, trying to follow up on this. It should be noted that as rogue, he did have access to some magic effects due to high elf race in that system.

My character started out as a lvl 6 trickster and after last session I leveled up. Now I'm always enjoying making multiclass characters since they offer a wider range of options, and in 3ed and 3,5 it was reasonably easy to find combinations that didn't make you weaker (in fact some were rather broken iirc). In 5ed it seems a tad harder to make a multiclass that doesn't significantly lose out on goodies. For the level we gained last time, I'd say chosing AT lvl 7 is rather obvious due to evasion (especially since our DM kept blasting us with small damage AoE fire all evening...), sneak attack and a few lvl 2 spells (read: invisibility).

So my question is, what good options do I have after lvl 7? Please keep in mind I don't expect to get to lvl 20, so it's barely worth thinking about anything more than another +5-6 levels really. I also feel the AT doesn't get any abilities in the future that are really "that" useful to me (the lvl 11 rogue skill monkey dream is neat though).

So far good options appears to me as:
* Grab at least 1 more level for ASI (lucky/cha boost?)
* 2-5 levels as warlock (Nice features already on lvl 2. Pacts are interesting and potential extra attack is useful)
* 6 levels as paladin (Smite, shield, a little healing, some spells and eventually extra attack and awesome saves!)
* X levels barbarian, but we already have one and it doesn't so much fit the character as he was earlier.

character:
=======
High Elf

Stats:
====
str: 12
dex: 20 (used lvl 4 ASI here)
con: 14
int: 16
wis: 14
cha: 16

The rest of the group features:

lvl 8 Barbarian, tanky style
lvl 7 Ranger OR lvl 6 Bard (the player switched between these, not sure who will be played next time, but I assume the bard)
lvl 7 Thunder cleric
lvl 6 War cleric

I don't see any point in using much on ranged physical weapons. I do carry a longbow around just in case it's needed of course.
* We're not so many, so there tends to be enough monsters for everyone, making ranged attacks a bit waste.
* The character has an amazing set of shortsword/dagger/bracers that automatically gives you the effect of the 2-weapon feat, if all parts are used together. They're already VERY good each by their own also, given our level.
* Alternatively, we aquired a "+1 rapier of bleeding" earlier, that noone wants to use, so my character is carrying it as "backup weapon". Seeing how hard it's to get AC, one idea could be to learn shield (paladin/fighter?) and use this weapon to drag out battles while being more defensive with the shield.

Any thoughts?

CaptAl
2015-12-27, 12:23 AM
If SCAG is allowed then two levels of wizard for Bladesinger gives a ton defense and added spell utility to the character. 20 rounds per short rest of intelligence mod to AC and concentration checks, +10 movement, and advantage on acrobatics checks is pretty sweet.

solidork
2015-12-27, 12:40 AM
If your friend decides to go Ranger and you feel like your character can be the person who does the persuading/lying, going bard for the skill and then more expertise could be good.

Malknafein
2015-12-27, 06:06 AM
Stats:
====
str: 12
dex: 20 (used lvl 4 ASI here)
con: 14
int: 16
wis: 14
cha: 16

Wow, awesome stats.

Nibenay
2015-12-27, 07:15 PM
If SCAG is allowed then two levels of wizard for Bladesinger gives a ton defense and added spell utility to the character. 20 rounds per short rest of intelligence mod to AC and concentration checks, +10 movement, and advantage on acrobatics checks is pretty sweet.

I've not checked it out since I read a review it didn't have much to offer if you didn't play in the SC, which we don't. But it does seem to fit quite well. I'll go have a look at it!

If your friend decides to go Ranger...
I don't think he'll always be playing with us though, as some players live rather far and only meet up for a whole weekend session. Our next session will probably be the barbarian, me and a war priest. In the future I'm thinking one more will probably join us. I'm betting he'll make a warlock or something, but that's completely unknown.

Wow, awesome stats.
Can't disagree.. I tend to be lucky with them though. Last time our DM asked us to roll up a reserve stat in case of deaths or if we want to switch for variation. We do regular 4d6, remove worst. if you're unhappy with your first roll, you can try once more. My first was so average it wasn't even funny. All 6 stats were in the 10-13 range. I rolled again and got 17 - 17 - 15 - 14 - 13 - 12. The Barbarian who already hates me for my luck, wasn't so happy :)

Edit: I'm open for suggestions for the reserve char. Maybe a Warlock/Paladin combo or something fun?

MrStabby
2015-12-28, 09:10 PM
I have been loving the trickster cleric.

Level 1 ability (which you get at level 7) means that whoever is coming with you on stealth missions no longer cramps your style.

At level 6 you would get level 2 spell slots from a level of cleric at level 7. Getting access to the guidance cantrip is pretty sweet for a kill monkey - in addition you get a lot of extra casting flexibility from cleric spells.

At level 8 (cleric level 2) your invoke duplicity will be a great source of advantage for sneak attack.

At higher levels, if you hit level 5 as a cleric you get to pull some nasty stunts - spirit guardians on an exceptionally mobile class, on an archetype that can use spells like shield/mirror image to get up close to enemies without losing concentration.

Nibenay
2015-12-29, 10:54 AM
Level 1 ability (which you get at level 7) means that whoever is coming with you on stealth missions no longer cramps your style.

I didn't consider that use actually, thinking that a pure cleric needs the stealth himself. However it does make a good idea to keep the big tank stealthy also! Unfortunately we do have enough clerics at the moment. We don't have any wizards yet, so having some levels as bladsinger wizard does seem like a good idea.

My question though, since it will be a multiclass, one will eventually get a higher level slot than the wizard one can cast by his own. Since a wizard can scribe down spells from whatever, is it possible this way to learn and cast higher level spells than the wizard progression?

X3r4ph
2015-12-29, 12:30 PM
The Favored Soul (Trickery) is great for a sneaky arcane caster. Pick Subtle, Heighten and Quicken as Metamagic, and charm the pants off guards, sneak in anywhere like it's nobody's business, disappear in a puff of smoke whenever, lay down huge single target damage from out of nowhere, wear armor, play with swords, get wings... man, why play a rogue at all?

Nibenay
2016-01-17, 06:17 PM
Hi again,

Thank you for the suggestion about bladesinger. As we played earlier, the DM had no issues with use of SCAG. As this was our first 5e with recreated characters, he offered that I can redesign my char, keeping at least 4 rogue levels, which gives me the option to add 3 levels of other classes. I'm tempted to at least add inn the bladesinger one, getting more spellpower.

As for favoured one, I didn't ask since BS fits much better with how the earlier character was created. It looks interesting though!

tieren
2016-01-18, 02:49 PM
My question though, since it will be a multiclass, one will eventually get a higher level slot than the wizard one can cast by his own. Since a wizard can scribe down spells from whatever, is it possible this way to learn and cast higher level spells than the wizard progression?

You need to look in the PHB in the multiclass casting section.

When you are learning a spell, you look only at your levels in that class so you can't learn a spell for a particular class you couldn't cast if you were single classed and only that level. However, because of the way the multiclass spell slot table works you can end up with higher level slots available. That will allow you to upcast (cast the spell you know through a higher level slot), but you can't leverage it to learn higher spells.

It is entirely possible to end up with say 6th level slots and not know any 6th level spells.

Nibenay
2016-01-19, 05:46 PM
Yes, I eventually found out that, although it seems 5ed supports upping spells into a higher slot just fine, so I'm sure there's something useful to find.

Our DM also offered me to remake the character slightly, dropping a few levels of rogue, so I can go (minimum) Rogue 4, thus freeing up at least 2 (or 3) levels for bladesinger. I'm very tempted to take the offers, although rogue levels 5-7 offers really good stuff also.

djreynolds
2016-01-20, 02:24 AM
Go wizard, bladesinger or divination

Specter
2016-02-12, 01:51 PM
Trickery Cleric comes to mind. You have the Wisdom for it, after all.