PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Races of Gontholmar (Race overhaul + some new stuff!)(PEACH)

Erberor
2015-12-26, 09:49 PM
So, a while back (like 7 months ago) I tried to get feedback on some races for a campaign setting. I didn't get much. So, I've reworked and fleshed out most of it and am putting it out there once more in the hopes of getting some input! Anything is appreciated.

Some of these races differ greatly from the typical interpretation of those races, so I've included notes about that where applicable. Oh, and I'm aiming for the standard Human as my balance point. Slightly higher, actually, as each race has an additional ability score bonus, but whatever. Balance is high on purpose, want these to be impactful.

Human
As normal except as follows:
Ability score adjustments: +1 to two different ability scores OR +2 to one
Moment of Glory: Once per encounter, a human may take an extra standard or move action in addition to any other actions that round. beginning at level 6, this ability may be used twice per encounter.
Fortune of the Bold: Once per day, humans may reroll any d20 roll. This ability must be used after rolling, but before knowing the result of the roll.

Human is good. Not much to change at all, and it gives a good balance point for the other races. I did decide on +1 to two stats instead of +2 to one because that struck me as being slightly too good.

EDIT: In light of other racial abilities, and also wanting to add something that scales a bit, I've thrown in Aptitude. Aptitude was boring and has been replaced with Moment of Glory

Elf
Ability score adjustments: +2 DEX, +2 CHA, -2 CON
Ancient Learning: Elves may choose a number of Knowledge, craft or profession skills equal to 1+1/2 INT mod. These skills gain one free rank at level one and every level after.
Manifest Arcana: Choose 2 0-level spells from the Wizard Spell list. These spells may be cast as Spell Like Abilities a number of times per day equal to 2+1/2 CHA mod with the save DC of these SLAs equal to 1/2 HD+CHA modifier. Every three levels, the uses per day increases by 1.

Wood Elf
Ability Score Adjustments: +2 DEX, +2 STR, -2 CON
Woad Lore: (Replaces Ancient Learning) Skills are instead selected from this list: knowledge (Nature, Geography, or Dungeoneering), craft skills, Survival, and Animal Handling
Woadborn: (Modifies Manifest Arcana) SLAs are chosen from the Druid or Ranger spell lists instead of Wizard. Uses/day and save DCs scale off of Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Arcane Potential
Prerequisite: Manifest Arcana, CHA 13, Level 5
Benefit: Choose one 0 level spell and one 1st level spell from the Wizard Spell List. These spells may now be cast as SLAs as described in Manifest Arcana. In addition, the 0 level SLAs may now be cast 2+CHA mod times per day.

Primal Power
Prerequisite: Woadborn, WIS 13, Level 5
Benefit: Choose one 0 level spell and one 1st level spell from the Druid or Ranger Spell Lists. These spells may now be cast as SLAs as described in Woadborn. In addition, the 0 level SLAs may now be cast 2+WIS mod times per day.

Elves are more or less the same as in normal D&D, but I'll give the description anyway. Elves are aloof, old, and knowledgeable. Ever since, and for hundreds of years before, their largest kingdom collapsed on itself, elves have rarely felt the need to take part in or even be aware of what's going on in the world around them. Lacking ambition, most elves remain in isolated communities and live peaceful lives. Those outside of such communities are usually wanderers, often bards, who desire to travel the world.

I'm a little iffy about Manifest Arcana. I'm afraid to make it any better or worse, not sure if my explanation makes any sense at all, and I'm convinced that it is simultaneously too good and not impactful enough.

EDITS: I've toned down Manifest Arcana, as it was too good. The 1st level spell was removed entirely, I cut out the eventual at-will use, and decreased the uses/day. Ancient learning changed dramatically

Dwarf
Ability score adjustments: +2 CON, +2 WIS, -2 CHA
Movement: Land speed is 25 feet
Dwarven Military Training(replaces weapon familiarity): Dwarves are proficient with all martial axes and hammers, and the Dwarven Urgosh and Waraxe. When taking a feat that can be taken multiple times for different weapons (weapon focus line, improved critical, etc.) a dwarf may instead take the feat and have it apply to all weapons mentioned above (write it down as, for example, "weapon focus: Dwarven Weaponry")
Dwarven Armor Training: Dwarves increase the armor bonus from worn armor by 2 and decrease the Armor Check Penalty by 1(minimum zero)

Armored Alacrity
Prerequisites: Dwarven Armor Training, BAB +3, CON 13, DEX 13
Benefit: Armor Check Penalties from worn armor are decreased by an amount equal to your CON modifier, not stacking with any other ACP reductions. In addition, all armors are considered to be one weight category smaller when worn, so long as you are proficient with that armor.

Heavy Handed
Prerequisites: Dwarf, BAB +6, CON 15
Benefit: While wielding Dwarven Weaponry, fighting unarmed or using an improvised weapon weighing at least 10 pounds, You may use your CON modifier in place of your Strength Modifier for damage calculations

Dwarves are at large unchanged in terms of racial identity. When showing this to a friend, he did express concerns about Armor Training being a bit too good, but I don't think so. I'm slightly more worried about how hard these abilities might shoehorn dwarves into certain classes (like, you know, fighters/front liners and the like...oh, and clerics).

Orc
Ability score adjustments: +2 STR, +2 CON, -2 CHA, -2 INT
Skill bonuses: +4 Intimidate, +2 survival
Orcish resilience: Orcs gain Endurance as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the requirements. In addition, incoming healing effects heal an additional 2 hit points per dice rolled (2 extra for Cure light wounds, 4 for CMW, etc.)
Extra skill points: 4 extra skill points at level one, 1 extra point every level after (exactly like humans)
Power Attack: Orcs gain Power Attack as a bonus feat.

Furious Blows
Prerequisites: Orc, BaB +6, STR 15
Benefit: you can power attack with light weapons as though they were 1H, with 1H as though they were 2H, and when power attacking with a 2H weapon the bonus damage from power attack is multiplied by 3 instead of 2

Ok, so here's the first major departure from the existing rules. Orcs in this world are strong, tough, stubborn and often rather crass. However, they are also trustworthy, honorable and hardly the savages they are often portrayed as in many fantasy settings. I have taken a fair amount of inspiration from Warcraft and The Elder Scrolls with regard to...more or less everything there is to say about orcs.

I chose to give orcs extra skill points to compensate for the dock to intelligence. Orcs should be somewhat inferior with intellect related functions, but I don't want them to be less skillful because of it.

EDITS: Removed Furious Blows and replaced with just power attack. Special benefits of Furious Blows moved to a feat. Improved toughness removed

Goblin
Ability score adjustments: +2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 STR
Small size, 20 ft speed
Skill Bonuses: +4 on all craft skills, +4 Appraise, +2 Bluff
Extra Skill Points: As Human/Orc
Tinkerer: Open Lock, Disable Device and all craft skills are class skills. In addition, Goblins may take ranks in Craft(alchemy) without having to be a caster. Finally, Goblins may find traps with a search DC above 20 without trapfinding, but the DC to find the trap is increased by 5.
I've Eaten Worse: Goblins have an incredibly resilient and efficient metabolism. They gain +2 on saves against poison or disease, +6 if the poison/disease vector was ingested.
Rapid Retrieval: Goblins gain Quick Draw as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the requirements. In addition, they may retrieve stored items as a swift action instead of a move action, or as a move action without provoking attacks of opportunity

Here's another one fairly far removed from the classic D&D race. As with Orcs, I based my Goblins on those seen in Warcraft (as well as the Goblins in a friend's setting): they are crafty, smart tinkerers. They are also shrewd, deceptive and keep to their own, rarely if ever taking sides in any conflict, barring potentially lucrative alliances.

Anyway, that's what I'm going for here. Goblins are fundamentally oriented toward a certain rather large degree of skillmonkeying. Not sure if this one is really done yet. It feels slightly lacking and rather unfocused.

EDITS: cut out several skill bonuses, modified Rapid Retrieval to give quick draw. May take stored item retrieval ability and shift to a feat at a later date.

Note: Gargoyle is a racial class, though that was probably fairly obvious.

Gargoyle
Hit Dice: 1d8

Lvl
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+0
+2
+2
+0
Gargoyle Racial traits, Improved Grapple, +2 CON, -2 CHA

+1
+3
+3
+0
Silence of Stone, Sentinel, +2 DEX

+2
+3
+3
+1
Stone's Embrace, +2 CON

Class Skills: (4+int/Level): Balance, Bluff, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Tumble
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Gargoyles are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor, but no shields.

Racial Traits

Appearance: Gargoyles are tall and lean, standing at an average of 6-7 feet tall. However, their bodies are incredibly dense, weighing in between 500 and 700 pounds
Ability Score Adjustments: +4 CON, +2 DEX, -2 CHA
Monstrous Humanoid:
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision: Gargoyles have 60 ft Darkvision
Natural Weapons: Gargoyles have two claw attacks that deal 1d4+STR slashing+piercing damage
Natural Armor: Gargoyles have a natural armor bonus equal to 1+HD/4
Stone Form: Gargoyles do not sleep. Instead, they must spend time resting by turning to stone. Gargoyles must spend 1 full day (24 hours) in stone form for every 8 spent out of it. However, Gargoyles can remain in stone form longer and then stay active for a longer period of time (see table below). Gargoyles must spend a minimum of 24 hours in stone form, and while in stone form they are incapable of action and are completely unaware of their surroundings, and cannot be "woken up" by any normal means.
Gargoyles gain a +5 bonus on any save to resist being turned to stone involuntarily, and return to normal after 24 hours if they fail their save.

Days in Stone Form
Days Active

8+

Skill Bonuses: +4 hide, +4 move silently, +4 balance, -6 swim
Wings: A Gargoyle's wings are far to weak to hold up its tremendous weight, but can slow falls substantially nonetheless. When calculating fall damage, ignore the first 30 feet of fall, and half the remaining distance.

Improved Grapple: Gargoyles gain the improved Grapple feat as a bonus feat. In addition, they may attempt to start a grapple after a successful claw attack
Stone's Embrace: Gargoyles gain a +4 Racial bonus on Grapple checks and have a constrict attack that deals 2d6+1.5xSTR damage (Increases to 3d6+2xSTR at ECL 8). This damage may be either lethal or non-lethal at the Gargoyle's digression. While constricting a target, a gargoyle may prevent the target from speaking as though it were pinned.
Silence of Stone: While taking no actions, Gargoyles are almost indistinguishable from actual stone statues, and it takes a DC (10+HD of Gargoyle) spot check to tell if a gargoyle is alive, with double the normal distance penalty to the check. This check applies to creatures with blindsight as well.
Sentinel: +4 on Spot and Listen Checks. As a Standard Action, or while taking no other actions, a gargoyle can sense vibration in the ground and detect the presence of creatures. Any creature that would not be detected by tremorsense cannot be detected by these means. When this ability is used, make a listen check and consult the table below to determine the effects

Listen Check
Effect

Know direction of largest group of creatures

Know direction of each group an approximate number of creatures (25% error)

Know direction and precise number of each group of creatures

25+
Know location of (listen Check-24) nearest creatures

Gargoyles are weird. That seems like a good place to start. Gontholmar Gargoyles are aloof, quiet wanderers. They mostly live in a certain area, but very frequently venture out due to a part of their culture that calls upon Gargoyles to witness the world and its stories such that, when they die, those stories are stored within the World forever. I can go into MUCH greater detail about their culture if anyone's curious.

Gargoyles are meant to be stealthy, but tough. They are also very good with grapples. Like, frighteningly good. Which I suppose is the point...well, grappling aside, I'm concerned that what's here isn't enough to warrant 3 levels, as most of the abilities outside of grappling appear rather weak by comparison. I may just be imagining things though...

nikkoli
2015-12-27, 12:13 PM
Why is the human getting +2 to one stat so much better than everyone else's +2, +2, -2? Also by passing out so many feats and bonus skill points to others, there is mechanicaly absolutely 0 reason to even think of being human.
Still not seeing how humans are so fantastic when elves get a good bit of SLAs even if they are low level they are still helpful, and then the double skill ranks per skill point invested is kind of ridiculous and doesn't add right. Using 3.5s 3+HD max ranks in a class skill you would only ever be able to have a class skill at lvl 1 then you could invest a rank in it ever other level to keep it maxed out.
The dwarf racial traits beat out feats like armor specialization by a good bit, and does shoehorn them into things that wear armor.
Orc's get 3,albeit generic, feats, along with improved power attack like from the fifth level of Frenzied berserker, normaly available at ECL 11.
I disagree with you saying that Goblins are lacking, bonus skill points every level, bonus on 6+ skills, most of those skills as class skills, free trapfinding, improved action economy, poison/disease resistance is pretty darn front loaded for a rogue or similar class.
Gargoyle is good as is aside for its sleep pattern. You say the longer it stays in stone form the longer is can stay awake, but it gets diminishing returns as it is "resting" longer. Staying in stone form for over 2 days is pretty detrimental for your ability to do stuff continuously.

Erberor
2015-12-27, 08:55 PM
Why is the human getting +2 to one stat so much better than everyone else's +2, +2, -2? Also by passing out so many feats and bonus skill points to others, there is mechanicaly absolutely 0 reason to even think of being human.
Still not seeing how humans are so fantastic when elves get a good bit of SLAs even if they are low level they are still helpful, and then the double skill ranks per skill point invested is kind of ridiculous and doesn't add right. Using 3.5s 3+HD max ranks in a class skill you would only ever be able to have a class skill at lvl 1 then you could invest a rank in it ever other level to keep it maxed out.
The dwarf racial traits beat out feats like armor specialization by a good bit, and does shoehorn them into things that wear armor.
Orc's get 3,albeit generic, feats, along with improved power attack like from the fifth level of Frenzied berserker, normaly available at ECL 11.
I disagree with you saying that Goblins are lacking, bonus skill points every level, bonus on 6+ skills, most of those skills as class skills, free trapfinding, improved action economy, poison/disease resistance is pretty darn front loaded for a rogue or similar class.
Gargoyle is good as is aside for its sleep pattern. You say the longer it stays in stone form the longer is can stay awake, but it gets diminishing returns as it is "resting" longer. Staying in stone form for over 2 days is pretty detrimental for your ability to do stuff continuously.

Well, good points on all counts. I seem to have overcorrected in making everyone else interesting. I've changed a few things, adding in something that scales for Humans, and adding an option to have +2 to one ability score instead of +1 to two. I also removed improved toughness from Orcs and will be changing Ancient Learning significantly (I'm thinking either picking a few knowledge skills and automatically getting ranks in them, or flat bonus skill points for those skills only)

I think I might just tone down the power level of a lot of this so it's easier to balance. take out the 1st level SLA from Manifest Arcana, remove or limit Rapid retrieval, and adjust Furious blows. Actually, I'm going to do that and turn some of those into racial feats instead.

Also, with regard to Gargoyles and Stone Form, that is kind of the point, that it is inconvenient. I put in the diminishing returns thing to avoid having players just say "oh I've been asleep for a few months so I'm good for a year or so" before starting adventures and effectively ignore it completely.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

ngilop
2015-12-27, 08:58 PM
this has got to be the single most unbalanced race 'revision' I have ever seen posted on any forums

you take away everything from humans im guessing for the lulz !!1!

then you basically take the other 'core' races dial them up to 11

then make orcs and goblins the single best races in the damn game.

literall they both have 'what umans use to have but humans are WAAY to powerful cuz they get a +2 to a stats, so I am going to give them +1 which does JAKC S*&T# to anything but keep other clases +2/+2/-2 so IN OUR FACE HUMANS

then you make elves be 1st level wizards on steroids LOLOL they cast 3 0 level spells and 1 1st level spell as spell like abilities.. but humans getting +2 to a stats is CRAZY POWERFUL!!!!

sorry went on a rant there. every thing is utterly and completely broken ( humans in the tradional sense and every single other race in the gaming sense)

the only race that's decent is the gargoyle.

EdokTheTwitch
2015-12-27, 09:00 PM
Well, I'm far from knowledgeable on the subject, but I will try to add my 2 cp.

Primarily, the races are overall more poowerful, but that is just a matter of choice.

Humans are very similar to what the PHB gives them, but with an added numerical advantage. Perhaps exchange the Aptitude ability to something like extra feats, or some other, non-numerical advantage?
Elves look very flavorful, even if a bit on the strong side. If it were me, I would maybe push back the level 1 spell they get, because this is the trademark of level 1 casters after all. Perhaps something like 2 0 level spells at level 1, and add more over time, gaining the first level 1 spell around level 6 or 8?
Dwarves are ok, but I do agree that this shoehorns them into armor wearing classes a bit. Perhaps a different ability with each tier of armor? Light gains less spell failure, Medium less ACP, Heavy more AC, something like that?
Orcs seem a bit OP, as there is almost no reason to use anything other than the class with extra HP, better healing, and natural power attack (a wizard benefits most from this, oddly).
Goblins are great, seem like a lot of fun to play with, no real criticism on that.
And lastly, while I know next to nothing on racial levels, the Gargoyle you maqde appears to be fun to play, and portrays the class nicely.

Erberor
2015-12-30, 03:16 PM
this has got to be the single most unbalanced race 'revision' I have ever seen posted on any forums

you take away everything from humans im guessing for the lulz !!1!

then you basically take the other 'core' races dial them up to 11

then make orcs and goblins the single best races in the damn game.

literall they both have 'what umans use to have but humans are WAAY to powerful cuz they get a +2 to a stats, so I am going to give them +1 which does JAKC S*&T# to anything but keep other clases +2/+2/-2 so IN OUR FACE HUMANS

then you make elves be 1st level wizards on steroids LOLOL they cast 3 0 level spells and 1 1st level spell as spell like abilities.. but humans getting +2 to a stats is CRAZY POWERFUL!!!!

sorry went on a rant there. every thing is utterly and completely broken ( humans in the tradional sense and every single other race in the gaming sense)

the only race that's decent is the gargoyle.

Well, thanks for apologizing. Though I should point out that humans still have bonus feat and skills. I haven't taken away anything.

I toned back a few things, notably the Elf SLAs and the Orc's Furious Blows. I threw in a couple feats for dwarf and put the special benefit of furious blows as a feat for orcs. Still considering changing Dwarven armor training and Human's Aptitude, as well as reigning in Repid Retrieval on Goblin.

ngilop
2015-12-30, 06:49 PM
Well, thanks for apologizing. Though I should point out that humans still have bonus feat and skills. I haven't taken away anything.

I toned back a few things, notably the Elf SLAs and the Orc's Furious Blows. I threw in a couple feats for dwarf and put the special benefit of furious blows as a feat for orcs. Still considering changing Dwarven armor training and Human's Aptitude, as well as reigning in Repid Retrieval on Goblin.

Your welcome :) Sometimes I get a bit whats the word.. zealous..?

I just saw you gimp humans and gives goblin what amounts to Ni free feats. I would stay away from the bonus skill points for goblins and orcs and give humans a couple actual racial goodies.

as it stands nobody would ever want to be a human because what humans get literally every other race gets that an more.

Erberor
2015-12-31, 01:52 AM
Your welcome :) Sometimes I get a bit whats the word.. zealous..?

I just saw you gimp humans and gives goblin what amounts to Ni free feats. I would stay away from the bonus skill points for goblins and orcs and give humans a couple actual racial goodies.

as it stands nobody would ever want to be a human because what humans get literally every other race gets that an more.

I'm thinking I'll replace Aptitude with something along the lines of an "action surge", which I think is a thing in 4.0 and 5.0's fighter. Bonus actions sounds like a good thing to add. Maybe throw in a few feats to augment it.