PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Spellbrew contest I

DracoKnight
2015-12-26, 10:26 PM
I really enjoyed JNAProduction's 5e base class contest, and tried for a couple of days to think about a contest I could run. Subclasses came to mind, but it seemed boring for some reason. It hit me today that a Spell Contest would be a lot of fun! :smallbiggrin: The prize will be the admiration of your peers, and a PDF created by me, containing the spell description, and displaying it on that class's list.

I will begin adding spells to the OP Sunday, the 27th of December, and voting for the winner will begin on January 17th.
May the best homebrewer win! :smallbiggrin:

So here are the parameters:

1) It can be any level; from cantrip to 9th-Level.
2) It must be roughly equivalent to spells available to PCs at that level.
3) You must specify which spell list it belongs to, so that people can take class features into consideration for balancing, and when determining which spell wins.
4) Specify any Verbal, Material, or Somatic components - with a minimum required of 1.
5) Create a post here in the Homebrew forum, and then link to it here, and I'll add it to the OP.
6) Multiple submissions will be accepted - maximum of 5 per person.
7) Voting will be done in the comments, and I will tally them in the OP.
8) Have fun - come up with fun new ways to use Magic in 5e :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Best Creator:
Alerad (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473431-Trixx-s-New-Spells-(contest-spells)&p=20240419#post20240419)
Levism84 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473393-Words-Hurt-Spells-of-the-Profane-Contest-Spells-New-Warlock-Patron-PEACH&p=20239435#post20239435) |
Ninja_Prawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473365-Ninja_Prawn-s-New-Fey-Spells-for-the-contest-PEACHing) |
RakiReborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474300-Rakireborn-s-Spells-for-DracoKnight-s-Spell-Contest-I)
WarrentheHero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474211-Spells-for-DracoKnight-s-Spell-Contest-I-PEACH&p=20266867#post20266867)

Best Spell
Fumble Fingers/Mumble Mouth |
Gingerbread Cottage |

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-26, 10:39 PM
This looks like fun! :smallbiggrin: I will be contributing :smallcool:

Levism84
2015-12-27, 01:59 AM
Is there a limit to the number of spells we can submit? I am not looking to flood the forums, but I was wondering what to do if I had spells from different schools of magic and couldn't pick just one.

DracoKnight
2015-12-27, 03:00 AM
Is there a limit to the number of spells we can submit? I am not looking to flood the forums, but I was wondering what to do if I had spells from different schools of magic and couldn't pick just one.

Sure, you can submit more than one! :smallsmile:

EDIT: I added a limit to the amount of spells you can submit.

Inevitability
2015-12-28, 04:53 AM
I think having a theme would help here. It gives people something to work with and will also make it easier to compare the spells to each other. That, and subsequent contests become much easier to organize.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-28, 01:32 PM
May I recommend for the theme: "magic of the outer planes?"

Be it the elemental planes, the hells, the astral plane, mechanus...it just has to be extraplanar.

Oerlaf
2015-12-28, 02:07 PM
Pity some very good 3.5 spells aren't present in 5e like say vigor. Or some exalted spells.

DracoKnight
2015-12-28, 02:16 PM

Be it the elemental planes, the hells, the astral plane, mechanus...it just has to be extraplanar.

I like this! :smallbiggrin:

exalted spells.

I've only played 5e...what are these?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-28, 02:18 PM
It would almost be a crime for me not to enter this one... fortunately, I have a raft of spells ready for (almost) immediate release! They'll make a nice teaser for my next megaproject. :smallsmile:

I would say that for the first contest, 'no theme' is appropriate. Though as it happens, the spells I'm planning to issue are fey-themed, which is kind of extraplanar. So I wouldn't mind too much if that theme is used.

Levism84
2015-12-28, 03:29 PM
I could go themed or unthemed, myself. Perhaps for the first one, though, "no theme" would be more appropriate. A generalist's contest would allow for people to get used to the mechanics of preparing, formatting, and posting spells. Unfortunately, this comes at the cost of more work for the contest judges who have a much wider range of spells to judge. While I can see having themes later on being a lot of fun and creatively challenging, my vote (if one were to be had) would be for "no theme".

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-28, 03:50 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473365-Ninja_Prawn-s-New-Fey-Spells-for-the-contest-PEACHing) you go! Five spells for your consideration!

DracoKnight
2015-12-28, 05:16 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473365-Ninja_Prawn-s-New-Fey-Spells-for-the-contest-PEACHing) you go! Five spells for your consideration!

Thank you for your entry! :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2015-12-28, 05:17 PM
I could go themed or unthemed, myself. Perhaps for the first one, though, "no theme" would be more appropriate. A generalist's contest would allow for people to get used to the mechanics of preparing, formatting, and posting spells. Unfortunately, this comes at the cost of more work for the contest judges who have a much wider range of spells to judge. While I can see having themes later on being a lot of fun and creatively challenging, my vote (if one were to be had) would be for "no theme".

Very good point! :smallsmile:

CantigThimble
2015-12-28, 08:33 PM
I personally vote for a theme of some kind. It gives a nice starting point if you end up blanking on ideas for something as general as "a spell".

Levism84
2015-12-28, 11:30 PM
These (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473393-Words-Hurt-Spells-of-the-Profane-Contest-Spells-New-Warlock-Patron-PEACH&p=20239435#post20239435) are my entries for the contest. I Figured I would get them in early, just in case I needed to make corrections and such. I did also design a new warlock patron to bring all the spells together, but the individual spells are listed in the first section.

Oerlaf
2015-12-29, 01:08 AM
I've only played 5e...what are these?

These are the spells that have an additional component of Sacrifice (1dX point of Strength, Dexterity or Constitution damage) and are only usable by casters of good alignment. They are also known as Sanctified spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-29, 09:32 AM
Some thoughts on the rules of the contest: 1) is it compulsory for 'brewers to vote? If not, we might struggle to get enough votes. 2) is there a prize for best creator (i.e. total votes across all spells) as well as best spell? That way, there's more incentive to enter five rather than one (since we're not competing against ourselves as much), which means there will be more spells created overall, to the benefit of all.

Alerad
2015-12-29, 09:58 AM
Trixx's Childhood Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473431-Trixx-s-New-Spells-(contest-spells)&p=20240419#post20240419) is my entry to the contest.

khadgar567
2015-12-29, 10:04 AM
Some thoughts on the rules of the contest: 1) is it compulsory for 'brewers to vote? If not, we might struggle to get enough votes. 2) is there a prize for best creator (i.e. total votes across all spells) as well as best spell? That way, there's more incentive to enter five rather than one (since we're not competing against ourselves as much), which means there will be more spells created overall, to the benefit of all.
buddy you are all ready going for first place if you ask me you created such gems that one of my gem experts died from sheer joy

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-29, 08:14 PM
buddy you are all ready going for first place if you ask me you created such gems that one of my gem experts died from sheer joy

As I've always said: if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing properly. Why enter a contest if you don't intend to win it?

However, my previous questions weren't intended to sound self-serving... I asked them because knowing the answers would be good for everyone. Apologies if that didn't come across.

DracoKnight
2016-01-06, 04:48 AM

It is compulsory for brewers to vote :smallsmile: I...hadn't thought about that. I will think on it :smallbiggrin:

WarrentheHero
2016-01-06, 02:27 PM
My entry is here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474211-Spells-for-DracoKnight-s-Spell-Contest-I-PEACH&p=20266867#post20266867

Also if someone can tell me how to hide links within text, that'd be great. So that instead of having this long url I can just have a nice linked word or phrase?

khadgar567
2016-01-06, 02:32 PM
My entry is here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474211-Spells-for-DracoKnight-s-Spell-Contest-I-PEACH&p=20266867#post20266867

Also if someone can tell me how to hide links within text, that'd be great. So that instead of having this long url I can just have a nice linked word or phrase?

select your text then press url button
paste the link and its done

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-06, 03:11 PM
select your text then press url button
paste the link and its done

Or, if you're on a mobile and selecting text / hitting buttons is too fiddly, just type [ URL = then paste in the URL, then put a ] then type your text, then close it with a [ / URL ] (no spaces).

It's a pain, but it can be done.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-07, 01:49 AM
Thanks, that's super convenient.

RakiReborn
2016-01-07, 12:01 PM
Finally able to add links in a post xD
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474300-Rakireborn-s-Spells-for-DracoKnight-s-Spell-Contest-I)is my entry for the contest. Love the idea, and i can use the other entries as nice inspiration for my own homebrews for a campain i will DM in the future :)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-16, 05:06 AM
Voting begins tomorrow! I'm on the edge of my seat!

RakiReborn
2016-01-16, 07:29 AM
What will we vote for?
Best spell? Best 2 or more spells (multiple contestants possible)? Or best creator (so best total)?
Do we just submit the vote or do we give an explanation to it (i will probably do this anyway)?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-16, 11:43 AM
Well, given the sheer volume (or potential of sheer volume) of spells, we should vote on individual spells (can't vote for your own spells) and two, maybe three, votes each.

That's my thought, at least.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 12:39 PM
Your thread made me remember that I wanted to bring over some old Psionic Powers as spells... Though technically 3e had a way to turn powers into spells if I recall correctly (or it was spells to powers).

So I guess I'll add my favorite PP to Spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475268-Decerebrate-(3-5-to-5e)(Spell)

TLDR: Sorcerer looks around and someone's brain stem is ripped out of their head (yay subtle spell!)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-18, 06:43 AM
Okay, my vote for best spell is Fumble Fingers/Mumble Mouth. It's hilarious, flexible, and the name even rhymes! It may want lowering to 4th level, but that's a minor issue. Honourable mention: Frost Backlash, because it fills a glaring hole in the the spell list of gishes everywhere.

If we're doing a 'best creator' award, I'd definitely vote for Levism84, because his spells are all interesting, balanced (or close to it), and have a shared theme.

Levism84
2016-01-18, 12:56 PM
I have to give my vote to Gingerbread Cottage by Ninja_Prawn. It plays to the classic story of Hansel & Gretel, plus I enjoy the fact everyone gets to consume some sweet treats; even the spell when it is cast! It literally consumes the material components of "candies, biscuits and cakes worth at least 10 gp."

For an honorable mention or second vote, I would say WarrentheHero's spell Greater Mending gets my vote because of the great utility, even though it isn't a flashy spell. I could see a variant human warlock taking the Magic Initiate feat to pick up mending, message, and greater mending to run a repair shop during his downtime.

Overall best creator? That would have to go to Ninja_Prawn for the fun fey spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-19, 03:23 PM
Out of interest, DracoKnight, when does voting close?

RakiReborn
2016-01-19, 04:04 PM
It was quite a hard call, but only one can be voted best by me: nondescript by Ninja-Prawn. It's strange, since it has no distinct magical effect, but that is the awesome part of it. The sheer utility of this spell is awesome, and i would love to use it myself if my DM would allow me.
The close second for me is Mindquake by WarrentheHero. I like the randomness so much! Some effects differ a lot, from becoming someone that can't do much beyond drooling to thinking you are a regular lizard or suddenly forgetting how to wear your gear. The effect however do all fit with the fluff, and thats what makes it even better.

The best overall designer in my opinion would probably be Ninja-Prawn. The spells all have the same fluff, but differ great. I would see good use of all of them, for both players and DM.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-19, 04:45 PM
I'd have to put my vote in for Ninja_Prawn's Secret Enclave. I've always loved dimensional spells, and this does it with a unique flavor. Not only is it Fey-oriented, but it carries with it the implication that this pseudo-Feywild of the Enclave spells overlaps over our Material Plane; its always there, shadowing.

Runner-up would have to be Alerad's Trixx's Fashionable Hat spell. If it was a cantrip it would probably be my primary vote. We get so worked up over making spells viable and worthwhile, particularly with regard to combat, that sometimes we forget that people with the power to literally change reality sometimes just want a nice hat.

Best creator goes to Ninja_Prawn. Great, balanced or mostly-balanced flavorful spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-25, 01:54 PM
Has everyone forgotten about this one? Surely there are more voters out there... :smallconfused:

DracoKnight
2016-01-31, 05:53 AM
Hello everyone! Sorry if it seems that I forgot about this. I haven't. I just got caught between college classes and clinical depression. If people are still interested, I'll make sure that all of the current votes have been tallied, and I will keep tally of any future votes. Voting will end on February 6th :smallbiggrin:

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-31, 06:12 AM
Hello everyone! Sorry if it seems that I forgot about this. I haven't. I just got caught between college classes and clinical depression. If people are still interested, I'll make sure that all of the current votes have been tallied, and I will keep tally of any future votes. Voting will end on February 6th :smallbiggrin:

Of course we're still interested!

We need to keep bumping the thread until the 'best spell' isn't an n-way tie!

M Placeholder
2016-01-31, 07:37 AM
My vote goes to Flinching Feint. A nice spell that disarms its victim, and my favourite.

Alerad
2016-02-01, 06:47 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't aware this thread is still alive.

My vote goes for Gingerbread Cottage. While there are other spells (mechanically better?), I liked the flavour of this one (M-m-m, gingerbread).

Second close is Flinching Feint. (Vulgar Gesticulation is ok, but it looks too much like Vicious Mockery.)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-03, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the vote! :smallbiggrin:

Three days to go...