PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [Pathfinder] Tips for a new GM working with brand new players?

ExperimentAlpha
2015-12-27, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone! So, an interesting thing happened: I had my folks just ask me to show them how to play pathfinder. Which is fine and dandy, but they want me to GM a game for them - And I have zero GMing experience. However, there's no time like the present.

Can any of you experienced GMs hand down any advice or suggestions for premade scenarios? I'll be shooting to run something that will hopefully last ~2-4 hours and I'll have three players (Mom, dad, and sister) Anything helps!

draxsiss
2015-12-27, 01:02 AM
The classic option I use to get new players in to dnd is the "Ogre stole the *insert important royal/political figure here* option, the ogre makes a great boss for level 1 characters and could be working for other (more powerful ) people so the game can grow organically. Make sure to incorporate at least 1 trap, one social situation, and the opportunity for each party member to shine. Remeber they are new so remind them about basic things (like do you want to check for traps, do you want to loot the body) give the ogre afew goblin minions (NOT to be fought all at once but sparingly) and you can roll up an easy starter campain for level 1's to learn the rope.

Typically I do 3 stages,

the Forest where they encounter 1 wolf, one brownbear (which is where they learn to run and not all encounters are easy) and one goblin

The Road towards the ogres camp, they find 1 warg (who may escape if he gets to injured), 3 goblins and 1 friendly npc encounter (typely someone who helps them out if they got some bad rolls or offer them some advice)

The camp, 1 Trap, 2 Skeletons (on the wall who will shoot arrows at anyone who aproches you can get around it by traving to a wall without a skeleton mindless undead can be taken advantge of their preprogramed orders) and the ogre with 1 goblin lackey *** Note if the warg escape it warns the ogre and so he send the goblin to the wall and the warg (unhealed from where he last was) is treated as the oger flunky) If the pcs capture a goblin give them hints about the next area (goblins are cowardly and will crumple to integration easly enough)