PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Silvered/magic weapons

Pinjata
2015-12-27, 09:45 AM
Hey guys,

I want to know what Damage resistances are bypassed by magical weapons and silvered weapons? Last night we were discussing whether silvered weapons bypass Damage resistances, mostly worded as "bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons".

Now, Silvered weapons description on p.148(PHB) says: "Some monsters that have immunity or resistance to nonmagical weapons are susceptible to silver weapons, so cautious adventurers invest extra coin to plate their weapon with silver."

Now, my question is, are silvered weapons basically poor man's magic weapons, able to bypass all magic-related Damage resistances, while a real magical weapon does the same, but also adds +1 to hit and +1 to dmg?

The problem is in word "some" (Some monsters that have immunity …). Are silvered weapons only useful vs lycanthropes and alike?

Sir_Leorik
2015-12-27, 10:04 AM
Hey guys,

I want to know what Damage resistances are bypassed by magical weapons and silvered weapons? Last night we were discussing whether silvered weapons bypass Damage resistances, mostly worded as "bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons".

Now, Silvered weapons description on p.148(PHB) says: "Some monsters that have immunity or resistance to nonmagical weapons are susceptible to silver weapons, so cautious adventurers invest extra coin to plate their weapon with silver."

Now, my question is, are silvered weapons basically poor man's magic weapons, able to bypass all magic-related Damage resistances, while a real magical weapon does the same, but also adds +1 to hit and +1 to dmg?

The problem is in word "some" (Some monsters that have immunity …). Are silvered weapons only useful vs lycanthropes and alike?

Silvered weapons overcome resistance and immunity to non-silvered, non-magical weapons. The Wight has resistance to non-silvered, non-magical weapons, and lycanthropes have immunity to non-silvered non-magical weapons. Other monsters, like the Ghost, have resistance non-magical weapons; silver won't help you fight a Ghost or a Specter.

AbyssStalker
2015-12-27, 10:10 AM
I would say that the important part is to look for is wording that mentions the bypassing of resistances or immunites, if something can penetrate the resistance or immunity, it will mention it.