PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Forgotten Realms: Druids & Portals

Tesagk
2015-12-27, 09:53 AM
Hello!

I've been playing in the same game for nearly a year at this point. During that time, it has heavily been implied by the DM that Druids have a specific relationship with portal magic.

After the loss of my character, I'm considering making a Druid that can specialize in wild-shaping for melee combat, ranged combat out of wild-shape, and buffing (if that's not too much, I don't know yet). However, my previous character was a Cleric with the portal domain. I would like for my Druid to also be able to use portal spells, detect and analyze portals, etc... but I'm seeing nothing in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, the Magic of Faerun, or the Spell Compendium that suggests that Druids even have a tangent relationship with portals (except, perhaps, the singular mention of Druidic circles?)

Am I looking to be something that I can't as a Druid?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-27, 10:21 AM
First move should be to ask your DM, since it sounds like he's got a specific idea in mind for his setting. Otherwise, something like Contemplative could give you the Portal domain back. The Gatekeeper Initiate feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) might be relevant, but the spells it grants aren't quite portal-based, though they are planar.

Tesagk
2015-12-27, 11:15 AM
First move should be to ask your DM, since it sounds like he's got a specific idea in mind for his setting. Otherwise, something like Contemplative could give you the Portal domain back. The Gatekeeper Initiate feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) might be relevant, but the spells it grants aren't quite portal-based, though they are planar.

DM was the one that mentioned looking in Magic of Faerun. I suppose I can ask him for more specific details...

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Helluin
2015-12-27, 12:00 PM
IIRC in Magic of Faerun there's the ley lines-like nature-portals thingie guarded by feys... I think that's as close as you can get to druidic portals though, unfortunately

El Dorado
2015-12-27, 12:55 PM
The DM might be referring to crossroads and backroads, which work like portals. Druids can create them with the Create Crossroads and Backroads spell.

Andry
2015-12-27, 02:49 PM
You might want to take a look at Master of the Yuirwood. It is in Unapproachable East. It has alot to do with with Menhir Circles which are mostly in Algarond but also scattered across the rest of Faerun.