PDA

View Full Version : Extra arms at lvl 1

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-27, 12:06 PM
Okay, I'm back onto figuring out how to make grappling work in 3.P. I noticed that the rules require "two hands free" -- so how can I get some extra hands at level one? What about at level 8 (I'm preparing for an E8 game)? Any solution is welcome, but if I can do it with 3.5 Mystic Ranger, or PF Inquisitor/ Warden/ Hunter, that would be ideal.

My other two ideas on how to make it work are by using a garrote (no -4 from hands), or the Brass Knuckles (maybe no -4? It's unclear). I've got 3.5's improved grab, so I'd really like to be able to use a 2d6 weapon on grapples without a -4 to CMB, though.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-27, 12:15 PM
I know next to nothing about PF, but Diopsid are a +1 LA race from Dragon Compendium with four arms.

Triskavanski
2015-12-27, 12:23 PM
There is also a four armed race in PF

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-27, 12:32 PM
I know next to nothing about PF, but Diopsid are a +1 LA race from Dragon Compendium with four arms.
That's a good pick; I'll have to see what the GM thinks (he doesn't want to use 3.5 races, but if there's nothing like it in PF, he might allow it).

There is also a far armed race in PF

What is it called/ where can it be found? Like Uncle Pine, my knowledge of PF is quite limited.

Triskavanski
2015-12-27, 12:38 PM
Kasatha (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Kasatha) is the race name

John Longarrow
2015-12-27, 01:25 PM
See if your DM is willing to let you play a Pacific Northwest tree octopus that has been awakened. That would give you 8 arms to use plus improved grab.

deathbymanga
2015-12-27, 01:43 PM
See if your DM is willing to let you play a Pacific Northwest tree octopus that has been awakened. That would give you 8 arms to use plus improved grab.

what's the LA for playing an Awakened Animal?

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-27, 01:46 PM
Awakened/ anthropomorphic is a good idea.

Comcast says I'm out of data for the month, so I might have to revisit this in half a week. Sorry.

I guess this means I'll have more time to work on my domain handbook, so that's nice I guess. Only ~500/ 1000 more deity entries to go!

INoKnowNames
2015-12-27, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure about level 1, but I'm pretty sure there's a few Soulmelds in Magic of Incarnum that may be of use to you as a grappler. The Girallion Arms or something to that effect come to mind, though this may not give you all that you want, and you might not be able to access it without some feet spending or multi-classing. Sorry...

deathbymanga
2015-12-27, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure about level 1, but I'm pretty sure there's a few Soulmelds in Magic of Incarnum that may be of use to you as a grappler. The Girallion Arms or something to that effect come to mind, though this may not give you all that you want, and you might not be able to access it without some feet spending or multi-classing. Sorry...

the Kraken Mantle is the best. You dish out damage just by making a successful Grapple Check. No Attacks needed. Just a good Strength check against the enemy

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-27, 01:55 PM
You only need two levels to get a Totem bind, and they're among the best two levels you'll spend. Totemists in general are fantastic, and grappling is one of the things they do best. They've also got most of the same flavor as a Ranger or Hunter, if that's all you're interested in.

deathbymanga
2015-12-27, 02:04 PM
You only need two levels to get a Totem bind, and they're among the best two levels you'll spend. Totemists in general are fantastic, and grappling is one of the things they do best. They've also got most of the same flavor as a Ranger or Hunter, if that's all you're interested in.

at 12th level you could get Open Least Chakra to grab Kraken Mantle as well to give you even more Grappling bonuses

Troacctid
2015-12-27, 02:17 PM
what's the LA for playing an Awakened Animal?

AFAIK they do not have one and are therefore not a valid PC race. However, an afflicted lycanthrope based on the same animal would be LA +2.

Psyren
2015-12-27, 02:40 PM
If you don't mind an (unchained) monk or brawler dip, you can also take Grabbing Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/grabbing-style-combat-style) at level 1 also and erase the penalty. As a bonus, both of these classes give you Improved Grapple as a bonus feat with that dip without losing any BAB.

If you're okay waiting until 6 you can get it without a dip or losing any of your Ranger progression.

EDIT: Brawler requires a 2-level dip, sorry - so uMonk comes out a bit ahead here.

MisterKaws
2015-12-27, 02:50 PM
at 12th level you could get Open Least Chakra to grab Kraken Mantle as well to give you even more Grappling bonuses

It's E8, he won't get to level 12.

If you don't want to use soulmelds, you can always use Girallon's Blessing or Arms of Plenty, maybe both if your DM is lenient. Maybe even cast girallon's blessing into fuse arms to get a +4 str and then casting arms of plenty to get extra arms AND +4 str.

Anthrosquids and Anthroctopus are 2hd+1la if you wanna use them

LTwerewolf
2015-12-27, 05:20 PM
Spheres of power alteration sphere allows for extra limbs.