PDA

View Full Version : Alternate rules for critical success or miss works in 5e?

Mith
2015-12-27, 12:57 PM
A while ago, I found this alternate rule set for dealing with critical hits and fumbles, and I am curious about what people with more experience with 5e think about the idea for implementing this in 5e. By my mental math, this ends up with a greater chance of a critical hit in a lot of cases, and I am curious if there are cascade effects that one would have to worry about. As for the result of a crit, I would rule double damage dice, instead of a guaranteed double damage.

When one rolls to hit an opponent, adding up all the bonuses to hit, they have a minimum roll needed for success. If they succeed, that minimum score is subtracted from their roll to make a percent chance to crit on an attack.

If one misses on their roll, then the roll is subtracted from their minimum success roll to give the percent chance of a fumble.

My question is whether or not people think this is a reasonable rule to use, when it was introduced at a time when critical hits were not as easy to come by.

SwordChuck
2015-12-27, 01:02 PM
Did you just make me a pirate without my consent? You Probabaly shouldn't be posting that sort of stuff in a link like that. How about just explaining the rules instead of having an entire Dragon mag download? Or a warning that it isn't just some website?

Mith
2015-12-27, 01:11 PM
My apologies, I hadn't realized that the .pdf downloaded for people. For me, it just opens a window, and does not download. I will remove the link.