PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get the Celestial Creature Template 3.5

ZhanStrider
2015-12-27, 02:37 PM
Is there a Spell or other method of gaining the celestial creature template? Even for a short time is helpful, I'm trying to gain Smite Evil without taking Levels in Paladin or Cleric (I'm a sorcerer Gish.)

thanks

Jack_Simth
2015-12-27, 02:43 PM
Is there a Spell or other method of gaining the celestial creature template? Even for a short time is helpful, I'm trying to gain Smite Evil without taking Levels in Paladin or Cleric (I'm a sorcerer Gish.)

thanks
Visage of the Diety, Cleric-6, Spell Compendium. Probably not what you're after, though, although the Sorcerer does have that almost entirely unique clause.... you could potentially gain access via Arcane Disciple, as it's on the Mysticism domain, even if your DM doesn't agree with that reading of the Sorcerer’s spells entry.

Troacctid
2015-12-27, 03:08 PM
The granted power of the Elysium domain gives you smite evil. You can gain it via the Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) feat, or the Domain Access alternate class feature.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-27, 03:29 PM
If you're a Sorcerer and you'll get 9th level spells with your build, using Teleport Through Time to have one of your parents be a celestial to retroactively gain the template is an option. A rather far-fetched option, though still an option.

Inevitability
2015-12-27, 03:35 PM
If you're a Sorcerer and you'll get 9th level spells with your build, using Teleport Through Time to have one of your parents be a celestial to retroactively gain the template is an option. A rather far-fetched option, though still an option.

That'd result in the half-celestial template, wouldn't it? I recommend making your great-grandparent a celestial instead.

Hm... Now I have this idea for a sorcerer who, through time travel, creates his own sorcerous bloodline.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-27, 03:38 PM
That'd result in the half-celestial template, wouldn't it? I recommend making your great-grandparent a celestial instead.
Oh, I apologize for reading the OP wrong: I thought he needed the half-celestial template instead of the full one.
Now, would making both his parents half-celestial turn the Sorcerer into a celestial 25 times out of 100?

DrMotives
2015-12-27, 10:40 PM
Oh, I apologize for reading the OP wrong: I thought he needed the half-celestial template instead of the full one.
Now, would making both his parents half-celestial turn the Sorcerer into a celestial 25 times out of 100?

Having read the fluff on planetouched races, I'm convinced that Punnett squares & Mendelevian genetics are not part of the D&D universe. Heredity is very handwavey.

Fizban
2015-12-28, 06:50 AM
There's a spell that can permanently give someone the Fiendish template if I remember right, but no such luck for Celestial. You don't need to shoehorn the spell onto your list though: buy a Psychoactive Skin of the Celestial for 6,000gp, get Celestial template 1/day. Only lasts 7 rounds and the Smite Evil is fixed at +10 damage with no cha bonus to hit, but activating the item is only a swift action so it shouldn't throw off your groove. Due to the wording you could buy extra and switch them out, but 6,000gp for 1/day +10 damage isn't worth it in the first place really. Is there a reason it needs to be Smite Evil?

ben-zayb
2015-12-28, 09:16 AM
If you can spare 5 prestige class levels, Anima Mage 5 with Improved Binding gives access to Andras, for an at will (but 5-round cooldown) Smite Evil/Good

Uncle Pine
2015-12-28, 10:21 AM
Here's something that doesn't require time travel shenanigans and hasn't been explored yet: Ritual of Vitality from Savage Species. You find a ritualist (at least a 7th level spellcaster), pay him 14,000 gp, lose 1,000 xp (assuming you had a LA of +0 and no racial HD to begin with) and bam, you become a celestial over the course of two days.

ZhanStrider
2015-12-28, 10:45 AM
There's a spell that can permanently give someone the Fiendish template if I remember right, but no such luck for Celestial. You don't need to shoehorn the spell onto your list though: buy a Psychoactive Skin of the Celestial for 6,000gp, get Celestial template 1/day. Only lasts 7 rounds and the Smite Evil is fixed at +10 damage with no cha bonus to hit, but activating the item is only a swift action so it shouldn't throw off your groove. Due to the wording you could buy extra and switch them out, but 6,000gp for 1/day +10 damage isn't worth it in the first place really. Is there a reason it needs to be Smite Evil?

Flavor reasons. smite Law would also be accepted