PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Beastmaster Ranger without spells

Spore
2015-12-27, 05:02 PM
Yeah, we need to figure an (official or homebrew) fix to take away spells from a Ranger or build something very nature- and animalattuned with no spells. The character in question was a Pathfinder Trapper Ranger and is being converted (some free magical and extraordinary traps as well as the now worthless Trapfinding feature).

Got to have:
- good at TWFing
- good with animals (hers was a small cat, a cheetah)
- no spells (substitute traps but I guess Sleight of Hand plus cheap materials should suffice, she only took it to substitute our trapfinder and our DM seldomly uses traps)

We though of giving her some of the Rogue's skill inclinced class features in exchange for loosing something that big but if there is an official version I'd gladly get the book.

Paeleus
2015-12-27, 05:11 PM
WotC released a spelless ranger about a year ago in an Unearthed Arcana.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

SharkForce
2015-12-27, 06:43 PM
WotC released a spelless ranger about a year ago in an Unearthed Arcana.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

i would add that a small rogue splash (3+ levels into thief specifically) would presumably allow you to deploy traps as a bonus action (within reason). and is just good in general, really. alternately arcane trickster would allow you to do that at range with mage hand.

Tanarii
2015-12-28, 02:36 PM
Why not just refluff spells as non-magical? There's some edge-cases where it'll be a problem (specifically dispelling/counter-speling), and works best for level 1 & 2 spells, but its usually possible to figure out a way to refluff anything. There are plenty of spells you can refluff as Trap & Animal related, as well as tracking expertise, amazing combat/physical skill, and nature lore.

Trap-like / related:
Alarm
Cordon of Arrows
Find Traps

Animal related:
Animal Friendship
Speak with Animals
Animal Messenger

Tracking related:
Locate Animal or Plant
Locate Object
Pass Without Trace

Amazing combat/physical tricks:
Hunter's Mark
Jump
Longstrider

Nature Lore:
Detect Poison and Disease
Protection from Poison

Edit: Now that I look at all that, it occurs to me that's a little light on the 'Trap' side. Ah well.

Spore
2015-12-28, 07:00 PM
Is there any harm done in allowing her to construct any nonmagical trap from the DMG for free in a quite short time? They should be an asset but seeing as D&D 5 allows for far more liberal RAI you should be able to give hefty penalties to creatures actually trapped. Disadvantage for people trying to defend themselves from within a bear trap (yannow, because moving hurts like hell) is just the tip of the iceberg.