PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other PEACH Level Adjustment 0 Races

Lhurgyof
2015-12-28, 10:01 AM
Hey everybody, I have created three races for a game I'm running that I have at 0 level adjustment, and was wondering if people felt them too powerful, too weak, or had any other ideas.

I was also wondering what would work well for a half-troll to be level adjustment 0 (perhaps double healing from resting with a con bonus, dex and charisma penalty). I know that some of these appeared elsewhere with different stats, but I'd still like some input.

Here they are:

Gnarls (Half-Gnolls)

Gnarls are half-gnolls. They have the strength and ferocity of a gnoll, but are less dull witted and much more socially accepted than their gnoll brothers.

+2 Strength, -2 Charisma
Humanoid (Gnoll): Gnarls are Humanoids with the Gnoll subtype.
Medium: Gnarls are medium-sized characters.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks: Gnarls are ferocious.
+1 natural armor
Toughness: Gnarls receive Toughness as a bonus feat.
Automatic Languages: Common, Gnoll. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Halfling, Orc.
Favored Class: Ranger

Half-Nymph

Half-Nymphs are the offspring of Nymphs and humans, elves, or half-elves. Though rare, they make up a considerable population of Carmerth. Half-nymphs are beautiful humanoids with a strong connection to nature. They stand between four and a half to five and a half feet tall with small builds. Their hair ranges from golden like fields of wheat to dull brown like the bark of trees. Their eyes are usually hazel or a bright blue, and their skin can take on dull green or brown hues, though skin as white as snow is also common.

-2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: While beautiful, half-nymphs are weaker than their human parents and always have their heads in the clouds.
Fey: As a fey creature, the half-nymph is not subject to spells that specifically target humanoids, such as hold person.
Medium: As medium characters, half-nymphs suffer no special penalties or bonus for size.
Half-Nymph base land speed is 30 feet.
+1 luck bonus on all saving throws; Fate tends to favor half-nymphs.
+4 racial bonus on swim checks. Half-nymphs are great swimmers and only suffer half of the armor check penalties when swimming.
Unnearthly Grace: Half-nymphs receive a +1 racial bonus on all charisma-based skills and charisma checks.
Darkvision: Half-nymphs can see 30 feet in the dark. Darkvision is in black and white.
Damage Reduction: Half-nymphs share the toughness of their fey ancestors. Half-nymphs receive damage reduction based on their hit dice, as shown below:

Half-Fey Level
Damage Reduction

1-3
1/cold iron

4-7
2/cold iron

8-11
3/cold iron

12-15
4/cold iron

16-20
5/cold iron

Lesser Drow
Lesser Drow are a group of Drow that have moved from their mountainous tunnels and have been reblessed by Corellon Larethian. Though they have Drow ancestry, they are accepted (though with a hint of suspicion) by other races.

-2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: Lesser Drow have a profound sense of self, though they are frail like their elven cousins.
Medium: Lesser Drow are medium-sized characters.
Lesser Drow base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Familiarity: Lesser Drow are automatically proficient with Rapiers and Hand Crossbows.
+1 on saving throws against spells, powers, psi-like abilities, and spell-like abilities.
+2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot: Lesser Drow are innately stealthy and have sharp senses. Unlike their high elven brethren, they do not get an automatic search check when passing by a secret door.
Sleepless: Lesser Drow are immune to magical sleep effects, and instead of sleeping they meditate for four hours. Lesser Drow spellcasters still need eight hours of rest to prepare their spells.
Low-Light Vision: Unlike their Drow relatives, Lesser Drow have eyesight more akin to other elves.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Drow Sign, Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling, Orc, Terran, Undercommon.

nikkoli
2015-12-28, 10:57 AM
The Gnarls seem much weaker than the other two. +2 Intimidate, +1 Natural armor b and +3 hp vs (+1 on all saves that stacks with almost everything, immunity to humanoid spells, +4 swim, +1 on all cha related rolls, and scaling DR) and (weapon familiarity, +1 on saves VS magic and psionics, +2 hide/listrn/move silent/searh/spot, sleep immunity, and less required sleep)
Maybe give the Gnarls +2 survival and scent with a reduced range?

Inevitability
2015-12-28, 11:29 AM
Gnarls need something else, too. Maybe give them a natural bite attack?

Half-nymphs seems too strong to me. I'd remove the +1 bonus on all saving throws.

I'm not too sure why if drow and high elves get automatic search checks to notice secret doors, lesser drow somehow don't. The race itself seems balanced, though.

You also forgot to list the favored classes of the last two races.

MrNobody
2015-12-28, 12:23 PM
I second the idea that Gnarls need something else: a bite attack could be nice, and maybe swapping Toughness with Improved Toughness could be a nice change (it gives a lesser bonus at 1st and 2nd level characters but a greater one from 4th level on).

Half-nymphs are too powerful: i think that one between Unnearthly Grace and Damage reduction should be dropped.

Drows are ok, but maybe a +2 on five different skills is a little too much: i'd drop one of them, or make the bonuses on move silently and hide more situational linking them to caves and other underdark-like environements.

Hope it helps!