PDA

View Full Version : How would one go about having a swarm of bees as a companion?

Douche
2015-12-28, 10:15 AM
And/or shooting bees out of your mouth?

Would being a bee swarm-themed character bee too overpowered? Think of all the power you'd have! You'd instantly pass every intimidation check.

Kajorma
2015-12-28, 02:37 PM
Mechanically, I have no idea, but I love the concept.
Reminds me of Ninja Scroll.

Temperjoke
2015-12-28, 02:52 PM
Mechanically, I have no idea, but I love the concept.
Reminds me of Ninja Scroll.

That guy creeped me out.

Levism84
2015-12-29, 05:13 AM
As an animal companion? Probably not. You could probably get insect swarm as a spell and reskin it as bees (sure, the bees "shoot" out of your mouth, whatever). Alternatively, work with your DM to make a new spell that allows you to summon and control a swarm of insects (wasps) reskinned as bees. Even better, be a ranger with a giant bee (wasp) beast companion and say the two of you make your own swarm. That has a bit of a lighthearted touch to it.

Either way, if you ask how would one go about having a swarm of bees as a companion? I would say, carefully.

Professor Gnoll
2015-12-29, 05:44 AM
Just watch out for people with snake familiars. You may not make it out alive. Ocelots are to be avoided as well.

Logosloki
2015-12-29, 05:57 AM
Depends on which chassis you are using to accomplish this. I will assume Ranger because animal companion. Hail of thorns could be reskinned to you vomiting out bees or you could take magic initiate amd get poison spray. Swarm of insects (bees) as an animal companion is a-ok as far as I am concerned as long as it is unmodified. If anything it might need a slight buff. The beauty of swarm of insects is that the swarm rule means they can stack on your position so you will look intimidating.

You will need to keep a hive for the bees to travel in. Bonus to this is that you can sell honey, wax and bees. Bees can't be healed or gain temporary hitpoints so the hive is a mechanic for them to heal on a short or long rest (the hive has your reserves).

ryan92084
2015-12-29, 07:19 AM
Every time I see this thread title all I can think of is a large grizzled mountain man with a hive of bees living in in his gnarly beard. He's obviously smoking a pipe to take an edge off of their fury.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-29, 08:56 AM
As an animal companion? Probably not. You could probably get insect swarm as a spell and reskin it as bees (sure, the bees "shoot" out of your mouth, whatever). Alternatively, work with your DM to make a new spell that allows you to summon and control a swarm of insects (wasps) reskinned as bees. Even better, be a ranger with a giant bee (wasp) beast companion and say the two of you make your own swarm. That has a bit of a lighthearted touch to it.

Either way, if you ask how would one go about having a swarm of bees as a companion? I would say, carefully.

Because "swarm" is not a type some DMs (like ours) will rule you can summon swarms with conjure animals, I'd also allow them as animal companion if CR 1/4 or lower.

darkrose50
2015-12-29, 09:27 AM
A forked hobo stick with a beehive at the end would be fun. Eventually transferring the beehive to a wheelbarrow or an actual burro would also be fun.

Douche
2015-12-29, 02:43 PM
Because "swarm" is not a type some DMs (like ours) will rule you can summon swarms with conjure animals, I'd also allow them as animal companion if CR 1/4 or lower.

Yeah I looked up bee swarm and they're CR4, if I'm not mistaken (looked online, not in the MM)... and I have no reckoning if a ranger would be allowed a swarm as a companion... BUT, what if the ranger just made the queen his animal companion?!? All the bees owe her allegiance (and/or are telepathically bonded to the hive mind) so they would be forced to obey the ranger. Bam, loophole.

ryan92084
2015-12-29, 03:13 PM
Yeah I looked up bee swarm and they're CR4, if I'm not mistaken (looked online, not in the MM)... and I have no reckoning if a ranger would be allowed a swarm as a companion... BUT, what if the ranger just made the queen his animal companion?!? All the bees owe her allegiance (and/or are telepathically bonded to the hive mind) so they would be forced to obey the ranger. Bam, loophole.

There is a swarm of wasps variant (they walk slower and can't climb but gain flight) to the CR 1/2 swarm of insects but no swarm of bees in the MM

Douche
2015-12-29, 03:26 PM
There is a swarm of wasps variant (they walk slower and can't climb but gain flight) to the CR 1/2 swarm of insects but no swarm of bees in the MM

Oh, my bad... it was actually from the 3.5 wiki...... and it says homebrew. Disregard that.

Still, though, that queen idea was pretty good, eh?