PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with Blood Magus build please

Valery
2015-12-28, 12:53 PM
I've recently come across the PRC Blood Magus and find him incredibly interesting, so I'm trying to make a build for it. However, this will be the first time I'll be doing any sort of build where I'm looking at meta-magic feats and the like. I'm also trying to find a good mix of classes before moving into the Blood Magus PRC at 6th level. So far, I'm thinking Dread Necromancer up to 5th level, for some of the obvious benefits and then going straight into Blood Magus. The feat cost for the PRC, feels a little high though, so I'm also trying to find a way to optimize with that in mind.

Thoughts?

Amphetryon
2015-12-28, 01:14 PM
I've recently come across the PRC Blood Magus and find him incredibly interesting, so I'm trying to make a build for it. However, this will be the first time I'll be doing any sort of build where I'm looking at meta-magic feats and the like. I'm also trying to find a good mix of classes before moving into the Blood Magus PRC at 6th level. So far, I'm thinking Dread Necromancer up to 5th level, for some of the obvious benefits and then going straight into Blood Magus. The feat cost for the PRC, feels a little high though, so I'm also trying to find a way to optimize with that in mind.

Thoughts?

Are you interested in finishing Blood Magus, or just using it for X levels; if only using it for X levels, how many? DN 8 is often considered a better break point than 5, though there's a good bit of contention around this. Blood Magus' costs can be paid via dips through Ranger Barbarian - at the cost of Caster levels - or with certain PrCs as complimentary aspects. Those PrCs are partially dependent on what books and other sources are available to you.

Valery
2015-12-28, 01:22 PM
Are you interested in finishing Blood Magus, or just using it for X levels; if only using it for X levels, how many? DN 8 is often considered a better break point than 5, though there's a good bit of contention around this. Blood Magus' costs can be paid via dips through Ranger - at the cost of Caster levels - or with certain PrCs as complimentary aspects. Those PrCs are partially dependent on what books and other sources are available to you.

I was thinking about finishing Blood Magus, but I'm open to other ideas. I'm most attracted to the idea of teleporting into my enemies, but if there are other avenues I haven't explored I'd like to here about them.

P.S. What do you mean by DN? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Oko and Qailee
2015-12-28, 01:24 PM
I think the big thing is, do you want full casting* or not? otherwise you're probably just going to have to eat the feat tax or take a flaw.

Edit: *As close to full casting as you can get

P.S. What do you mean by DN? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

DN = Dread Necromancer

Valery
2015-12-28, 01:29 PM
I think the big thing is, do you want full casting* or not? otherwise you're probably just going to have to eat the feat tax or take a flaw.

Edit: *As close to full casting as you can get

DN = Dread Necromancer

I don't believe that I need full casting. It useful but not incredibly necessary as long as I'm having fun with the class and still feel strong.

Troacctid
2015-12-28, 01:29 PM
Dread Necromancers are highly incentivized to take 8 levels of the class to get the Undead Mastery ability. So if you are using a Dread Necro base, I would recommend Dread Necromancer 8/Blood Magus X.

Blood Magus doesn't really change much about how you want to build your character, because its class abilities are relatively low-impact--it pays you back for the entry feats, but it doesn't do anything radically different from what you were already doing.

Are you interested in finishing Blood Magus, or just using it for X levels; if only using it for X levels, how many? DN 8 is often considered a better break point than 5, though there's a good bit of contention around this. Blood Magus' costs can be paid via dips through Ranger - at the cost of Caster levels - or with certain PrCs as complimentary aspects. Those PrCs are partially dependent on what books and other sources are available to you.
Don't see how a Ranger dip would help--you don't get Toughness or Great Fortitude from Ranger levels. You'd need Barbarian for that.

Oko and Qailee
2015-12-28, 01:37 PM
Well, it's worth noting that items can fulfill feat pre-reqs (arguably), so a Belt of Endurance which grants Great Fortitude would fulfill that requirement, but it's up to your DM for item availability and stuff. The Dwarf Domain also grants Great Fortitude, but there isn't a cleric domain that grants Toughness AFAIK.

Bear Totem Barbarian grants you toughness, but synergies really poorly with anything you're doing.

I'd suggest DN8/BloodMagusX

Take Toughness as a feat (sadly) and get Great Fortitude from an item if your DM allows it. I would suggest either A) continuing in DN next or B) taking another progression based PRC, depending on power level of the party. If you're planning on doing Metamagic, Incantantrix and Metaphysical Spellshaper are the really strong options. Otherwise, anything with flavor that you like will do.

Edit: If you do Metaphysical Spellshaper I'd also use one level of Binder to bind Naberius to reduce the ability damage.

Amphetryon
2015-12-28, 02:57 PM
Dread Necromancers are highly incentivized to take 8 levels of the class to get the Undead Mastery ability. So if you are using a Dread Necro base, I would recommend Dread Necromancer 8/Blood Magus X.

Blood Magus doesn't really change much about how you want to build your character, because its class abilities are relatively low-impact--it pays you back for the entry feats, but it doesn't do anything radically different from what you were already doing.

Don't see how a Ranger dip would help--you don't get Toughness or Great Fortitude from Ranger levels. You'd need Barbarian for that.

Multitasking fail on my part, mostly.