PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Werewolfhunter

Hanutta
2015-12-28, 03:22 PM
Hey Guys,

for a small group (2 players and 1 gamemaster) we want to play a campaign with lycantrophes (and later some demons a.s.o.).
We start at lvl 5 and my mate is a Rouge/Ranger.

My character is like a traveling cleric and follow selúne, but he didn´t know anything about werewolfs. It is a part of the campaign, to discover this type of monsters and chase them.

I want to play a Selúne-cleric with a starting dip in rgoue (level 1 and 2) for some skillpoints.
The following books are allowed: PHB, DMG and Faerún Campaign Setting.
We got 9k Gold and these stats: 17, 15, 15, 13, 12, 10.

So, this is what i built:

Rogue 2, Cleric 3
Domain: Moon, Travel

Att: STR 15, DEX 12, CON 13, INT 15 (16), WIS 17, CHA 10.

Feats: Endurance, Silent Spell, and...i don´t know :D

Skills: Concentration, diplomaty, Bluff, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Use Rope, Kownlegde (local, Religion) with 5 Ranks.

Equipment: Hewards Bag, Mithralshirt, Wand (light Wounds),Composite Shortbow (Str+2) (darkwood), Masterwork Mace, some potions (Heal, Jump, Darkvision), some scrolls (0. und 1.grade) and stuff

I don´t know how effective this will be. I´m thinking about a barde/cleric start for the charisma, but the "dump" stats will be the figting stats and we need someone who can fight in melee combat.

Please, help me :D

Greetz, Hanutta

Blackhawk748
2015-12-28, 03:42 PM
Ok, several things:

1. Drop Endurance, its not worth it.
2. Dont make your Bow out of Darkwood, also not worth it

As for advice, id just go straight cleric, your buddy has skill monkey down and with those book restrictions you cant capitalize on the Cleric/Rogue combo by going Shadowbane Stalker (which is from Complete Adventurer if you're curious.)

As for other feats, im not sure honestly, Extend is always a good metamagic feat to have, as your buffs will last longer and Empower is always a classic.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-28, 03:47 PM
Well, consider that the moon domain will function strongly off your cleric level. I would consider improved turning, as that will help fill the hole left from your rogue levels (It's not HD capped, so still useful for straight cleric). Turning at level-1 won't work on most things though, so be careful. I would try to use the Sword of Subtly as a weapon rather than a mace. The +4 to hit and damage whenever you sneak attack is huge. It will go a long way to ensuring that whenever you flank (and you SHOULD be flanking if at all possible) you hit and cut through DR. Think in terms of getting through DR 10/silver. 4+1d6 means you have 0-5 points of DR to contend with. I would look at enchanting it with bane (humanoid (Shapeshifter)) at a later time.

In your position I would not carry potions. Scrolls are just cheaper for anything you have on your class list. The only exception is for things you want to use while sneaking.

John Longarrow
2015-12-28, 03:59 PM
I'd replace silent spell with extend spell. You will find a lot of use for spells lasting longer than for being able to cast them without verbal components.

If you are interested in being able to hide, I'd drop the levels in Rogue and go straight Cleric. Race as forest gnome. Between Pass without trace and a racial +8 to hide in wilderness you need only worry about your companion being tracked by lycanthropes. In a small group access to higher level spells will out strip any benefit you would get from a couple levels in rogue.

5th level cleric will also get you access to your moon blade spell.