PDA

View Full Version : Writing Collectors And Protectors (Story PEACH)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-12-28, 03:30 PM
I started writing a story a while back.
You might have seen my posts asking about mythological artifacts.
Anyway, I started writing it, and I wanted some feedback.
So. Here. We. GO!

Collectors and Protectors

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u398/AkazilliaDeNaro/Reliquary%20Box.jpg

Image courtesy of my friend who drew it for me.

Chapter 1

James Lewis Iverson

It all began one night thirteen years ago, well near as I can figure it was thirteen years ago. I was 22 at the time and lying in bed trying to sleep, staring at the ceiling when a ball of white light appeared right where I was staring at on the ceiling. I blinked a couple of times to check if it was real, seeing as it should be brightening my room but wasn’t. It floated down to my face, and spoke to me in a language I had never heard before but could understand perfectly.

I can’t remember the words it used but I can remember what it asked me.

“If you had the power, would you use it?”

I had no idea what it meant, I still don’t actually. But, I knew beyond reason, that the answer was yes. So that is what I said.

“Yes.”

It then flew into my face and disappeared, and I immediately felt the worst pain i've ever experienced, as if I were being electrocuted over and over in different spots for a hundred years compressed into a single moment, and blacked out.

When I awoke it was already at least 9:00am, I could tell because my bed faces the window and from 9:00-10:30 am the sun shines directly into my eyes. Looking closer at the position of the sun, I assumed it to be about 10:00 am.

I got up and went to the sink to brush my teeth and looked in the mirror. When I did, I noticed a light in the center of my pupils. When I looked deeper into them, it vanished, I figured I had imagined it so I went on with my day. Brushed my teeth, took a shower, ate breakfast, and then left for work, all of which is unimportant to this tale.

On my way to work I usually pass by an abandoned house but this time when I came to it I had an irresistible urge to walk inside. I entered and walked through as if I had been there all my life. I knew exactly which boards were rotten and which were solid. I walked as if in a trance. I went to the basement door and walked down stairs, It should have been pitch black, and it might have been, but I could still sense where everything was so well that I didn’t even slow down. I got to the bottom of the stairs and continued walking, until I found a small wooden box about the size of a shoebox. When I picked it up, I could feel something... powerful... pulsing inside of it. I had an urge to leave. I decided against it and opened the box. Inside was a set of thirteen differently shaped stones each about the size of a golf ball, all resting on a leather-bound black book, with a rolled up circular cloth pressed against one side. I decided I would need more room to examine these and closed the box. I also decided to take the day off, and went back to my apartment.

When I got back I cleared off my kitchen table, put the Box on it, and opened it. I took out the cloth first, and unrolled it upon the table. It had a strange design on it. I removed all thirteen stones and placed them on the cloth in a circle, placing each stone in a specific space in the circle. Every time I held one of the stones I could feel it pulling at me but getting nowhere, as if an ant tried to drag a mountain. Then I removed the Book, it also tried to pull at me and also got nowhere. I placed the Book in the center of the circle of stones. As I did so it seemed to snap into place. A beam of light shined upon the Book seeming to come from nowhere, It caused writing to appear on the cover of it, glowing iridescent. The writing was complex and shifting but strangely legible. The Book was titled “The Reliquary”. I could now feel it pulling at me even though I wasn’t touching it. It still had no affect on me. I decided to open and read the Book. As soon as I thought that, the Book flew open and the beam of light returned, revealing the writing in that iridescent glowing, shifting, complex language.

I began to read it.

You are The Reliquary.
You are the 22nd to inherit this title.
You are a keeper of artifacts; a harbor for the strange, and a vault for the unexplained.
You are a sealer of darkness, a destroyer of light, and a bringer of balance.
You will act without cruelty or kindness, without condemnation nor condonement.
You will be a fire of truth in a web of lies.
You will be an armory of weapons in a world at war.
You will chain the strong, hobble the quick, and lobotomize the clever.
You. Are. The Reliquary.

After that the pages flew by pouring knowledge into my head.
It told me about the history of The Reliquary. And it told me where I would find my first Artifact, the Tarnkappe, a Cloak of Invisibility. The Cloak, if I could get my hands on it, would grant me the power to turn invisible, along with enhanced strength. Which I figured would be quite useful. The Book then shut, after telling me that it would speak again if I could get the Tarnkappe without dying.

I put the Book and stones back into the Box and shut it. Then I placed my hand on the Box, closed my eyes, and recited the speech the Book had on its first page, although slightly altered, in that strange language. When I open my eyes the Box had disappeared. I knew that when I needed it again I could call it from its hiding place.

Then I went outside and started walking to my first artifact.

It took me three hours of walking to reach the city museum. When I entered I could feel the pulsing rhythm of power once again. I followed the pulse to a statue of a short man with a long beard. The statue showed him holding what appeared to be a folded cloth. I knew that cloth was the Tarnkappe.The statue seemed to be under no security, I guessed that they assumed no one would be able to lift it, or want it for that matter, so they just put a sign which read “Please do not touch the displays” in front of it.

I reached out and grabbed ahold of the sides of the stone statues face, and recited the speech in that strange language. As I did museum goers stood and stared, as the statue changed from stone to dark flesh and shining metal and black cloth. After the transformation was finished the dwarf turned in a circle looked around and its eyes settled upon me. It then spoke to me in a language that I assumed to be Old Norse, and I understood perfectly.

“Mortal I thank you for freeing me, so that I may return to my kin and-”

“I did not free you, I freed the Tarnkappe. You just came along with it. Now I would like to have it” I said cutting him off.

His face changed to rage, “You think you deserve the Tarnkappe! You think you can just imprison me agi-”

I leaned in close, cutting him off again. “Yes, yes I do.” I said snatching the cloth. Which caused him to bellow in rage, for a few seconds, before he was returned to stone.

I turned the Tarnkappe over in my hands, examining it, as security arrived.

"Sir, I am going to have to ask you to hand me the cloth, and come with me." He demanded

“No, I think I will keep it.” I said as I swung the Tarnkappe around my shoulders.

Power pulsed through my body, ancient and strong. “I think I will take my leave now.” I said to the guard. Then I vanished. I turned myself invisible and walked out.

I then walked back to my apartment, and for the first time asked myself why I was doing what I was doing. It didn’t last long, I was doing this because It had to be done.

Then I asked why I was returning home, when there was nothing left there for me. This was a good point. All I really needed was a quiet space and some privacy, in a pinch, the quiet could slide, but the privacy was important.

So, I turned down an alleyway behind an abandoned building, went into the back of the building. I lifted an overturned table back to its normal sitting position, and called forth the Box. Then I set up the Book and stones on the table.
The light and writing reappeared. I placed my hand upon the Book and it began to tell me how to properly use the Tarnkappe. It also told me where the last Reliquary died at, so I could collect his remaining Artifacts: The Thousand-Sword Sheath; Artemis’s Endless Quiver; Pwyll’s magic satchel, and The Skeleton Key. Although, getting them would prove to be difficult with my current capabilities, seeing as they were at the bottom of a lake… of lava… underground… halfway across the world.

The Book sensed my dilemma and recommended five artifacts for me.

The Seven-League Boots, which would allow me to run at supersonic speeds. Currently located on a farm in Kansas.

The Phoenix Coin, which would make me, and my equipment, immune to fire and heat of any kind. Located in New York CIty.

Caledfwlch - A powerful sword that can shed light so bright as to be blinding. Located in Northern Scotland.

The Icarus Wings - Which would grant flight as long as they did not get too hot, but with the Phoenix Coin that was unlikely to happen. Located in Germany.

Aegis - A shield that would paralyze any who would look at it. It also functioned as a one way mirror. Located in Greece.

I decided to go find the Seven-League Boots, but I encountered another problem… I was about 800 miles from my destination, and without transportation. I went to ask the Book, but it didn’t answer. So, not knowing what to do next, I packed up the Box, stashed it and left the building.

Immediately after leaving I saw a group of lowlifes following a young woman through the alley, She seemed to be about 20-21 with long straight black hair, she was wearing a white button down shirt, with a black suit jacket over it, and a long black and white checkered skirt. She must have sensed they were following her, because she started to run. Which, as it turns out, was a bad idea, seeing as she was in a trashed alleyway, and wearing a long skirt, and apparently black combat boots. When her boots caught on the inside of her skirt, she tripped, and fell to the ground, but before she could get up they were there.

“Hey, baby, why you run?” One of them asked, I could see a gun tucked into his belt.

“Yeah, we just want to play a little.” Another said, pulling a knife.

“Please, don’t-” she started, but then she saw the knife, and promptly shouted for help.

Seeing as they had not seen me yet, I decided to teach them a lesson.

“You know, I never really liked people who attack women, and now I can demonstrate my displeasure. Prepare to go through Hell, boys.” I said while I walked up to them.

“Hey, who’s there?” one of them said, just before I ripped off his arm.

He started to scream, for a little bit, but he stopped for some reason.

“Woops, looks like that is what it meant by Enhanced Strength. Sorry. Hey, do you guys want this?” I asked waving his arm around “Because I don’t. “ I said, as I flung it at the ringleader.

“Holy ****! Let’s get the hell out of here!” The leader screamed, as he ran away. The other followed.

I looked down at the young woman I just saved and smiled.

“You alright?” I asked.

She must have been in shock or something, because she just started screaming.

“Woah, calm down, I just saved your life.” I said, then I realized that I had blood on me, which might have causing the whole “screaming” thing.

She stopped screaming after a few seconds, then she passed out.

“Great, now I have to take care of her.” I said aloud.

I picked her up (she was surprisingly light), flicked the Tarnkappe’s hood over my head, causing me and her to disappear, and I walked back to my apartment.

When I got to my apartment not even an hour had passed. I cleared off my bed and set her on it. Thought for a moment, and went to wash the blood off my face, and change clothes. My bathroom is right next to my bedroom so, I could tell if she awoke before I finished cleaning up. She didn’t. Afterward I decided to clean the blood spatter off her face and neck with a wet wash cloth, She woke up when I had finished cleaning her face and started on her neck.

She blinked her eyes open, saw my face, and surprisingly didn’t scream.

“What are you doing?” she asked, confused, and surprised.

“I’m cleaning the blood off of your face and neck.” i responded, still cleaning, “I didn’t do anything about your clothes though, I thought it would be… indecent... of me to undress you without your consent.”

“Blood? What blood?” She asked startled, getting up, and looking at her clothes. “What happened to me? Who are you? Where am I?!” She demanded.

“Relax,” I said putting the washcloth down, “You were attacked, I am the person who saved you James Lewis Iverson. You are in my apartment.” I said answering her questions.

“Y-you, you ripped that guy’s arm off! What are you?!” She asked scared.

“I… I… I appear to not be able to tell you that... yet.” I said, with a shrug. “But, a better question is; What is your name?” I asked.

“My name is Ava. Ava Lillian Lucio.” she said hesitantly.

“Nice to meet you Ava, I’m James” I said with a bow, “Now, what do you plan to do about your bloody clothes?”

“Uhm, right, can I use your washing machine then?” She asked, now sitting up with her legs dangling over the side of the bed.

“Sure.” I responded, “But what about... ya know... you?”

“What do you mean…” She said as realization dawned on her. “Oh, can I also borrow some clothes?”

“I... uh don’t have any clothes your, uh... size.” I said sheepishly

“It’s okay, I just need a shirt really” she replied.

“I don’t think so, look at the left side of your skirt, you were laying in his blood for a bit before I picked you up. It soaked in quite a bit” I said.

“Oh, well, I guess I’m going to need some pants too, then.” she said, “Can I use your shower to wash the blood off me, too?” she asked

“Yeah, sure it is just across the hall.” I replied, “I’ll get out some of my clothes and a towel for you.”

“Thanks” she said as she got up and went to take her shower.

“No problem.”

She passed me her her bloody clothes, through the door, as she removed them, which managed to include her skirt, blouse, both her undergarments and her socks. I then took these and put them in the washing machine, along with my bloody clothes. Afterwards I gathered together some old t-shirts and some sweatpants of mine and a towel, and I put them on the table next to the door inside the bathroom. I went into my living room, sat on my couch and waited for her to be done with her shower. Which as it turns out wasn’t very long.

“Hey, I had no idea you were a Power Metal fan.” She said coming out with a Dragonforce t-shirt on, while drying her hair.

I looked over at her to reply, “Well-” was all I managed to say before my brain deserted me, leaving me with a thought process somewhere between the intelligence of a potato and an overweight gerbil. After a few seconds I managed to compose myself, but It was too late, the damage was already done.

She started laughing, “So, either I’m drop-dead gorgeous, or you haven’t been around many women lately.” she said

“Or, it could be both.” I said, sheepishly.

“Oh, Clever” She replied.

“Well, I have my moments.” I said somewhat smug.

“Well, I will admit, that whole saving me from an attack was pretty cool.” she said sitting down next to me.

“Even the arm thing?” I asked cautiously.

“Especially, the arm thing.” she said, “Also, I was wondering, how did you get me here, while we were both covered in blood, without anyone seeing you?” She asked curiously.

“Well, I… I appear to be able to tell you, that’s good. But you probably won’t believe me.” I said sadly.

“What? I watched you rip a man’s arm clean form his body, a feat which should be impossible no matter how much muscle you have. So go ahead and tell me!” she said excitedly.

“All right,” I said “I have a magic Cloak that turns me and anything I am carrying invisible” I explained.

“But, that still doesn’t explain how you carried me across town! Or how you ripped that guy's arm off!” she said.

“It also grants me Enhanced Strength.”

“Oh, can I see it?” she asked.

“Uhm, sure, just don’t touch it, I’m fairly certain it is cursed.” I said.

“Okay, no touching. Gotcha.”

I stood up turned toward her and put my hands on my neck where I had the Tarnkappe hiding itself. I then summoned it from hiding, and draped it over my shoulders, the black cloth falling to my ankles and wrapping around me.

“Well!, turn Invisible!” she said impatiently.

I flicked the hood up and turned invisible.

“Woah, that is so cool!” She exclaimed.

I flicked the hood down, and returned it to its hiding place.

“Yeah, I guess it is rather cool.” I said.

“Where did you get it? HOW did you get it?” she asked.

“I got it from a museum, and as for how I got it, I… can’t tell you, apparently.” I said sadly.

“What, is that part of The Curse?” she asked waving her arms at the last two words.

“No, It is from something else.” I said

“Well, we still have approximately, 45 minutes to an hour and a half till our clothes are done, and it is already 3:30, I don’t believe I will be able to make it to my apartment before dark, can I stay with you?” She said pouting.

“That has got to be the best thing I’ve ever heard, ever” I said starting to laugh, which caused her to laugh as well.

“I assume that means ‘yes’” She said after her laughter had subsided.

“Yes, of course!” I replied after my laughter had subsided, “But, you also know that this means I have to sleep on the couch?” I questioned.

“What? You don’t have a spare bed I can use? I would hate to deprive you of your bed! After all I am an intruder in your home.” She said surprised.

“Nope, there are a total of 5 ‘rooms’ in this apartment: Kitchen; Bedroom; Bathroom; Living Room; and Laundry Room. Along with a total of one bed. which you will be using.” I explained.

“But-” she started before I interrupted her.

“No. No ‘buts’, you are a guest in my house therefore you get a bed.” I said

“Alright, but at least take a pillow and blanket.” She pleaded.

“Oh, I intended to.” I replied “But, now I need to check on those clothes, and possibly make dinner, unless you don’t want to eat.” To which her jaw dropped.

“You can cook?” She asked surprised, “Let me guess, ramen noodles.”

“Oh yeah I can make ramen noodles… from scratch.” I said which caused her jaw to drop, again. ”But I thought I would try something a little bit better than ramen noodles.” Her jaw was still dropped at this point, so I decided to see how much I could blow her mind.

So I said the two words she never knew she wanted to hear, “Chocolate. Pancakes.”

“WHAT! How? What?” was all she could manage to say. I left her to contemplate the magnitude of it while I went and switched the laundry. By the time i came back, she had moved to the kitchen, and was in the process of trying to find the skillet.

“Well, I see you are trying to figure out how to make them, but I’m sorry it's a family recipe and according to ancient tradition, I can’t show it to you.” I said with a shrug.

“B-but, Chocolate pancakes.”she managed to stammer out.

“Ah, I see your mind is still rattled by the revelation. Just go sit in the living room and rest. Let your mind recover.” I said leading her to the couch.

After about a minute setting everything up and four minutes of cooking. I called her back into the kitchen. The aroma itself was almost enough to knock her over. We sat down at my little table in the corner. I served her two of the pancakes, and took two for myself, leaving two on the plate.

“Go ahead, Take a bite.” I encouraged her. She took her knife and cut a small piece off, and took a bite. Her eyes widened to engulf half her face and she slowly swallowed.

“That, was , the best pancake, no the best food, I have, ever, tasted.” she said to me, eyes wide.

“Take another bite.” I recomended.

Hesitantly, she brought the second piece to her mouth, and took a bite.

“How? How can food taste this good?” She demanded, taking another bite. And another, and another, soon the whole plate was gone.

“Well, you certainly enjoyed that. More?” I said, gesturing to the plate of remaining pancakes.

“Yes, please” She responded. I placed one on each of our plates. She soon devoured that one too, just as I was finishing my second.

“You should drink some milk to satisfy your stomach. I'm surprised you didn’t choke with how fast you were devouring those.” I said starting on my third pancake.

“But, they were so good! I just couldn’t stop!” She said.

“Yeah, that happened to me when I first tried these.” I said finishing my plate.

“Really? When was that?” she asked curiously.

“Back when I was seven years old, my mom had made them for me in celebration of my first day of school.” I said picking up the plates to wash them in the sink.

“Aww, that’s sweet. Where’s your mom now?” she asked

“Dunno, she just up and vanished one day, I was 16 at the time.” I said washing the dishes.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” She said.

“It’s okay, I’ll find her one day, though.” I said determinedly, as I dried the dishes.

“Well, it’s 5:00 now, and you’ve already taken me to dinner, now, how about a movie?” she asked innocently.

“Well, I don’t know what movies are playing in theaters right now.” I said coyly.

“Oh, we don’t need to go to the theaters to watch a movie, we’ve got a theater right here!” She replied sweeping her arm across the living room.

“I guess you have a point.” I said leading her to my small DVD collection.

“Well, let’s see here ‘Star Wars: Episodes I-VI’ boring, ‘Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo’ hmm maybe could be intre- WHAT! You have ‘Summer Wars’ ‘Ame and Yuki: Wolf Children’ AND ‘The Girl Who Lept Through Time’!?”

“Yeah, Mamoru Hosoda’s pretty freakin’ awesome, right?” I said.

“That settles it. We are watching one of these! Pick one!” She demanded holding them in front of me.

“Alright, ‘Ame and Yuki: Wolf Children’’ it is then.“ I said plucking it from her fingers, and put it in the player, ”I would have chosen ‘Summer Wars’ but, I like this one better.” I said as I pressed play. We sat down on the couch and she curled up next to me. About two hours later the movie was over, and I could tell we were both feeling pretty sad over the ending.

“Well, what did you think of the movie?” I asked stretching.

“I know I would normally be crying over that sad ending right now, but I just don’t feel like it, strange.” She said rubbing her eyes, “It must be because I’m with you.”

“Huh, well I have got to go get the clothes out of the dryer.” I said attempting to get up.

“Why not just sit here with me?” she said, pushing me back down.

“But, don’t you need your clothes?” I asked attempting to get up again.

“Alright, fiiiiine.” she whined standing up, “but I’m gonna go lay down then.”

“You know you are cute when you are angry?” I said.

She hit me in the arm, “Oh shut up, go take care of the clothes” she said blushing.

When I got back with a basket of clothes I asked, “Do you want to fold yours, or do you want me to?”

“I think I will, thank you.” she replied snatching her clothes from the basket, and started folding them, and stacking them. Afterwards we decided to go to sleep.

“Well G’night.” She said walking to my room, “Oh and no sneaking in on me and watching me with your Cloak of Invisibility!” she said turning around.

“I won’t, I promise.” I said, laying down on the couch.

“Yeah, you better not.” she said.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-12-28, 03:33 PM
Chapter 2

Ava Lillian Lucio

I woke up in the middle of the night to an iridescent light shining in my face. I knew it was the middle of the night because I could see the moon out of the window next to me. I blinked the grogginess out of my eyes, and then blinked to check if the light was real. It was. It then spoke to me in a language I had never heard before but could understand perfectly.

“If you had the knowledge would you use it?” It asked.

I responded immediately, ”Yes.”

The light then flew into my face and disappeared, causing me to have the most massive headache ever, I felt as if my head would explode, the pressure was so much, and it kept building until, finally, I blacked out.

I awoke several hours later with the sun shining into my eyes. Groggily I wondered why the sun would be in my eyes when my bedroom had no windows. Then I remembered, the alleyway, the attack, the strange man who saved me, waking up in his house, eating chocolate pancakes, watching ‘Ame and Yuki: Wolf Children’, then that strange light.

I decided to get up quietly and surprise him.

Slowly I crept out of the room, following the slight noise I snuck into the kitchen, and saw him deeply in trance, reading a black book surrounded by stones.

“Curious” I thought, and asked “What is that?” breaking him out of the trance.

“Wha!, Oh you are up.” he responded

“Yeah, I’m up, what’s that?” I asked again.

“This? This is a bunch of stuff I found in an abandoned house, and I’m surprised that I can now tell you about it.”

“What do you mean by ‘you can now tell me about it’?”

“Well I couldn’t tell you about my being ‘The Reliquary’ before and, wow, now I can apparently. Say, did anything strange happen to you last night?”

“Yeah, there was this light last night… It... spoke to me” I said remembering

“It did? What did it say?”

“I don’t know what words it used, but I know what It said.” I said looking at him.

“If you had the knowledge would you use it?” I said with absolute certainty.

“And what did you say?”

“Well I said ‘Yes’”

“I wonder… can you sense anything coming from this circle?” he asked, pointing at the circle of stones on the table.

I looked at it, and felt it pulling at me, but unable get purchase, as if it were trying to pull an ocean, I kept slipping through its grip.

“Yeah I feel it pulling at me but, being unable to get a grip. Does that make sense?” I said

“Oh, Idea! Here, sit down.” he said gesturing to the seat.

“Okay...” I said sitting down.

“Here,” He said handing me the Book, the pull of it and the circle got, not stronger, but faster, as if it were desperate, “Place that book in the circle” he said excitedly.

I went to, place it down, but it felt wrong to place it that way. So, I flipped the book to its back and rotated it 180°, and then placed it.

“Nothing is happening.” I said.

“Hmm, perhaps it is because I’m here, I’ll go into the living room.” he said walking away.

After he left a beam of light shone on the Book, revealing writing, in a swirling spiraling language, that I could somehow read. It read, ‘The Archive’ as I read it the pull of the book subsided. I thought to open the book, and it did. The light returned revealing more, and more of the strange language, until it had filled the page.

I began to read it.

You are The Archive.
You are the 22nd to inherit this title.
You are a vault for knowledge, a harbor of intellect, and a keeper of enlightenment.
You are a sealer of darkness, a destroyer of light, and a bringer of balance.
You will act without cruelty or kindness, without condemnation nor condonement.
You will be a fire of truth in a web of lies.
You will be a vault of knowledge in a world of ignorance.
You will chain the strong, hobble the quick, and lobotomize the clever.
You. Are. The Archive.

After that pages flew by and the light brightened, pouring knowledge into my head. I learned of the the history of The Archive. It granted me the ability to gather knowledge from any container almost instantly, just by touching it. It told me that any knowledge I gathered would always be at my fingertips and would never forget. It also told me where I would be able to find my first Book of Knowledge, The Lexicon of Light. A book that would teach me about Light Magic. The Book then shut, and I knew it would tell me no more.

“Hey,” I called out, “You can come in here now, I think it’s over.”

“So what happened,” He asked when he came back in.

“A light shined on the Book, it called me The Archive, and…” I paused, and looked him in the eye, “This all happened to you didn’t it?”

“Yeah, but for me it used ‘The Reliquary’, and I’m guessing you don’t go looking for artifacts, if you are ‘The Archive’. Right?” he reasoned, starting to put the Book, Cloth and Stones back in the Box.

“No,” I said shaking my head, “I go look for books. Specifically, Books of Knowledge.”

“Hmm, and where is your first one located?”

“Here, in Utah.” I said, “So, you wanna come along?”

“Sure.” he replied, “But, who is gonna store the Box?”

“Well, seeing as how you got to before…” I said putting my hand on the Box.

“I thought you’d say that, here let me give you some room” he said backing up, before I recited The Archive Oath, as that was what the speech on the first page was, and made the box vanish.

“Okay, now that that is done, I need a shower, a tooth brush, and food.” I said.

“Well, you know where the shower is, along with your old clothes, towels are in the cabinet in the bathroom next to the door, I keep a spare toothbrush under the sink, and I’ll get started on breakfast.” he said

“With the Chocolate Pancake experience yesterday, I can’t wait to see what you cook up next!” I said walking away.

I picked up my clothes from yesterday, now clean of blood, took a shower, dried off got dressed, and brushed my teeth.

When I got out of the bathroom, the smell of breakfast, bacon, sausage, eggs and toast, filled my nostrils. I walked into the kitchen and said, “Ahh, classic, bacon and eggs, really what was I expecting?”

“Well, you really can’t go wrong with the bacon and eggs combo, and I didn’t feel like pressing my luck.” he replied preparing a plate.

“Well, what if I was vegetarian? Or vegan?” I asked

“You are not vegetarian, and you are definitely not vegan.” he said confidently.

“How could you be so sure?” I asked defensively.

“You didn’t bring it up at dinner last night.” he said.

“Why would I?” I replied not understanding.

“A vegetarian would have thanked me for making a vegetarian dish. But a vegan would have stated they were vegan and would have asked to know the ingredients.” He explained, setting the table.

“Oh, I guess that makes sense” I said, “Well, you were right. I’m not vegetarian or vegan. So, let’s eat!” I said sitting down.

“That sound like a great idea.” he said sitting down.

This time I was careful not to devour my entire plate in 10 seconds. After we ate I volunteered to do the dishes. To which he responded “Nope, guest rules still apply.” So I gave up, went into the living room, lied on the couch and relaxed.

He came in a few minutes later, “Well dishes are done, you ready to go?”

“Yeah, just need… hey, where’s my purse?” I asked finally wondering where it had gone.

“It is in my room. I put it on the dresser, after i brought you here. You didn’t see it when you were sleeping in there?” he replied.

“Oh, no. I fell asleep instantly. Didn’t have much time to look around before I passed out.” I admitted, as i went to get it.

“Your boots are by the door, in case you were wondering.” he called to me.

“Thanks.” I said coming out of the room, and getting my boots.

“No problem. Hey, why do you wear combat boots?” he asked

“Nothing fancy like, ‘my dad was in the military’, or anything, I just like the way they look.” I replied putting them on, “Badass, right?” I said showing them off.

“Yeah, Badass indeed” he said, removing his Cloak from its hiding place, letting it fall across his back.

“Well, that’s just unfair.”I said defeated.

“Yeah, magic trumps mundane, anyday.” he replied, “So, we ready now?”

“Yeah, I’m ready” I said getting up.

“Where are we going anyway?”

“I dunno, I thought you might know.” I said shrugging

He blinked, “You thought I would know where to find your Magic Book?”

“Well, the Book you gave me didn’t really tell me where exactly it was, it just said ‘Utah’.”

“Any particular area in Utah?”

“Nope! But, it being ‘The Lexicon of Light’ I guess it’s either in a church or a really bright place.” I said cheerily

“That really narrows it down,” he said sarcastically.

“Well, how did you find your Cloak, then?” I spat back.

“Well, I just went outside and started walking.” He said, his eyes falling out of focus to recall it, ”I must have entered a trance, because I don’t remember much of how I got there.”

“Oh,” I said, feeling guilty, “Well, let’s try that then, the book must lead the way when we attempt to go there.”

“Okay, lead the way.”

When I got outside I saw a bright light rising into the sky, “Do you see that light?” I said pointing at it.

“Nope,” he said after looking down my arm.

“Well that must be where the Lexicon is then. Let’s go”

We walked for almost two hours before we got to our destination. Which turned out to be neither a church nor a bright place.

“A Library.” he said, “and an abandoned one at that.”

“Well, this is where the light is coming from.” I said stepping inside, ”You coming?”

“I can’t even see in there. So, no, I’m not coming. But, I bet you can see just fine.”

“Chicken.”

“Your Book, You go in, I had to go alone when I got this,” He said grabbing some of the Cloak, “so you can go alone on your first one.”

“Alright but you’re still a chicken” I called as I walked deeper inside. I walked until I got to a hexagonal room with a hexagonal staircase in the center, and walked up the six flights.

“Well that’s just disconcerting” I said as I got to the top. I turned toward the door next to me and opened it. To reveal a room covered in dust. I scanned the room and saw the light resting on a piece of wall to my left. I examined it and discovered it was a cubby. Inside I found the Lexicon of Light. It was white with gold lines around the edges of the cover, and a Sun design on the front. When I picked it up light blasted from the cubby, overwhelming my eyes, and when I could see again, I saw a sphere of light floating there.

“Foolish mortal, thanks for freeing me, but now I’m afraid I have to ki-”

Sighing, I said, “In the name of Knowledge, destroy the Light.” and made a symbol in the air.

“What! How do you know those words! How cou-”It started to scream before the sphere cracked, dimmed, and fell to the ground, shattering.

“Well I’m done here, Wings of Light!” I said causing bright feathered angel wings made from light to sprout from my back. I walked over to the front window, stepped out and flew down to land right next to James.

“Whoa, those are cool. New power?”

“Yeah, I said as I dispersed the wings, ”Takes a lot out of me though, since I’m new - “ I managed to say before I collapsed.

“Not again!” I heard him say before I blacked out.

When I woke up, I noticed a few things. First, I was not at his apartment. Second, it was still daytime. And third it was very dusty where I was.

“Hey.” I called out, sitting up from the lawn chair I was laying on.

“Over here.” he responded, waving to me from his position in front of the window.

“What, happened?” I asked, shaking my head trying to remember.

“You passed out right after you got rid of the shiny angel wings, that I assume you learned to make from the book-thing.” he said turning around to face me, “By the way, can I ask that you not pass-out again? I would prefer not to have to carry you again.”

“Oh, sorry about that.” I apologized, “Where are we, anyway?” I asked standing up slowly.

“An abandoned warehouse, about 3 blocks from the library. I thought this would be as good a place as any to wait for you to wake up.” he explained.

I examined my surroundings. I was in room overlooking a large empty floor. Graffiti coated the walls and papers scattered the floor.

“Hey, where did you put the Lexicon?” I asked looking around.

“The “Book of Knowledge” thing? I didn’t put it anywhere, it vanished in a bright flash when you passed out.” he shrugged, “I figured it hid itself on you somewhere, just like my Cloak, the Tarnkappe, does when I’m not using it.”

Thinking about that I realized something was weighing down the left side of my jacket slightly. I reached into my left jacket pocket, and pulled out the Lexicon.

“Huh, well, better get to reading this then.” I said placing my hands on both sides of the Lexicon.

“You can’t possibly read all that he-”

“Done!” I interrupted, having absorbed all the information within.

“I stand corrected, I guess you can.”

“Now what do we do?” I asked

“Well, when I got my Cloak, I check with the Book afterwards. Man, that thing needs a new name.”

“The Box of Command?” I suggested, recalling it from its hiding place.

“Too cool… how about, Locator Box?” He replied as I set up the circle cloth.

“Too techy. Finder Circle?” I suggested putting the stones down.

“Treasure Map?” he joked as I put the rest of the stones down

“Helpdesk?” I said smugly, picking up the Book.

“Ha, good one! Uhm... Guidebook?” he said as I put the Book down.

“Apparently, that’s actually what it’s called.” I said, looking at the light shining on the Book.

“Well, I guess I win.” He said, sticking his tongue out.

“Real mature.” I said before I turned to The Guidebook and put my hand over it, palm down.

It then told me about where to find the last Archives Library, so that I could gather all the knowledge in it. But, there were a few problems with it: It had no actual entrance; was protected by some really nasty guards; and wasn’t in this dimension... or this era. The guide book told me of some more Books of Knowledge I could get to.

The Folio of Fire, It would teach me Fire Magic, which is mainly used for offense. Located in Yellowstone National Park.

The Shadow Scroll, which would teach me Shadow Magic. Located in an ice cave in Greenland.

The Tome of Earth. Which would teach me Earth Magic, which is used for defense. Located in Italy.

The Temporal Tablet, which would teach me Time Magic. Located in Egypt.

“So, first I have to get to Yellowstone.” I said after I was done.

“Well, that’s probably closer than my next one, but also more difficult to get to” he said.

“What is your next one?” I asked putting away the Guidebook.

“I have to get to a farm in Kansas, to grab a pair of old boots. ‘Needle in a haystack’ has never been more appropriate” He said.

“Yeah.” I agreed, ”So, I better go back to my apartment, and get my stuff ready for traveli-” I started saying but was interrupted by the screeching sound of the warehouse door opening, to allow a group of delinquents to enter. Every one of them had at least one gun.

“Yo, this better be the right place, Joey” one of them said.

“It is Boss, I saw him walking in here a half an hour ago, carrying that woman. This is the place.” another one, Joey, I assumed, said.

James walked over to me, “Well, it appears the guy who lead the ones who jumped you, called for reinforcements.”

“Yeah, What should we do about them?” I asked.

“Well, they came here looking to kill us, right? How about we kill them?” he said equipping the Tarnkappe.

“Alright, but I get first blood. I want to test my new magic” I said standing up.

“Then let’s go meet our guests.” he said, walking to the door.

After we got to the stairs I couldn’t hold it in any longer. “Welcome, gentlemen, welcome, what can we do for you?” I said in my most casual voice as i walked down the steps.

“You and your boyfriend there, can stand still, while we fill you with holes.” The leader said.

“Well that doesn’t seem very fun at all. So I’m going to have to decline.” I said, before I fired a laser from my outstretched hand, hitting him in the chest, knocking him back several feet.

“HOLY ****!” One of them shouted, “Shoot her, she just killed the Boss!” At that cue they all lifted their guns and started firing. Only for the bullets to ricochet off of a curved wall of solid light and bounce back at them. Several of the ricochets managed to hit with some force and injured them. After a few seconds they ran out of ammo. It turns out that guns on full automatic empty their clips very quickly.

The few who were still standing and uninjured look around at their ‘comrades’ and, seeing them on the floor bleeding, decided to do the reasonable thing.

They turned and ran.

“Well, that was fun but I’m tired now, you wanna finish them off?” I said sinking to my knees.

“But, then I would have to clean the blood off my clothes and it would just be a hassle. Lets just leave them here.” he said.

“Okay, sounds good to me.” I said, yawning, “But I still have to get back to my apartment, and grab things.” I said laying back.

“Okay, where do you live?” he asked

“You really want to me to tell you, in front of all these guys who may, or may not, try to kill me in my sleep?” I said propping myself on my elbows.

“Hmm, I see your point, and I raise you, do you really think this is a good place to lay down?” he said.

“Alright, fine. let’s go.” I said, getting up, ”Let’s go out the other door.” I whispered to him, after a moments consideration.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-12-28, 03:44 PM
Chapter 3

James Lewis Iverson

It took us about 45 minutes to get to Ava’s apartment complex. It was actually a much nicer building than mine was.

“Well, since I’ve seen your apartment it is only fair you see mine.” she said opening the door and inviting me in, “But take off your shoes by the door, please!” she called from inside.

I walked inside, removed my shoes, placed them next to the door, and examined the insides of her apartment. It… actually looked a lot like my apartment, albeit more decorated, and bigger. There were two blankets draped over the couch; one had the four elemental symbols from ‘Avatar:The Last Airbender’, and the other blanket had, the anti-possession symbol, a pentagram inside a circle of flames, from ‘Supernatural’, on it. I looked around some more, and saw posters on the wall. Dozens of them. Most of them were anime, some were TV shows and comic books, at least one was book series.

“Hey, you gonna close the door or not?” she said snapping me out of my trance.

“Oh, right, sorry.” I said, closing the door.

“Have a seat on the couch. I’m going to get changed, these clothes are two days old, and previously had blood on them, which is kinda gross.” she said walking away.

I sat down on the couch and continued to study the apartment, but after a bit, I was interrupted by something pushing against my leg. I looked down to see what it was, and saw a small gray cat rubbing against me.

“KITTY!” I screeched, all pretense of manliness gone, and picked up the cat. I heard a snort of laughter come from the hallway.

“I see you’ve met Kyōfu.” she called from her room,

“Kyōfu?” I called back incredulously, while playing with the cat, “You named your cat, ‘The Terror’?”

“Yeah, watch out, he’ll cause you to die of cuteness overload.” she said, walking back into the living room.

“I can see tha-” I started to respond, but stopped when I saw her. She was wearing black cargo pants with a black tank top and was holding a duffel bag in one hand, which, in and of itself, would not be enough to make me stop mid-sentence, but coupled with her pose and the light, it was enough to cause me to stop.

“Again? Man, at this point I think no matter what I wear you would be speechless.” she said laughing.

“Well, you are probably right, seeing as how I cannot think of an outfit you would not look amazing in.” I responded

She blushed and looked away. “So, you like cats, I assume?” she asked pointing to Kyōfu lying in my lap.

“Yeah, but my apartment doesn't allow pets.” I said sadly, while playing with the little gray kitty.

“That’s unfortunate,” She replied ”But okay, since little Kyōfu here, will be coming with us!”

“What!” I exclaimed.

“Well, I can hardly keep him here while we go traveling the globe! Also, a mage, like myself, needs a familiar.” She explained.

“I see your poin-, wait, a familiar?”

“Yeah, a familiar, and Kyōfu here will be perfect once I enchant him a bit.”

“Enchant?”

”Yeah, like this.” She said walking over and picking him up.

She sat down on the floor and put him in front of her, with one hand on his forehead and one hand on her chest, and shouted, ”Soulbind!”

She took a deep breath as she took her hand off of her chest. She reached into her duffel, removed a little wooden turtle, the size of a golf ball and, holding it in her hand, she shouted, ”Shellskin!”

She started breathing heavily, and returned the wooden figurine to the duffle. She removed a large feline claw, a large sharp tooth, about the size of my palm, and a ball bearing. Again she held these in her hand while she shouted, “Ironfang!”

She was wobbling now, I could tell this was taking a lot out of her.

“Hey, maybe you should take a break?” I suggested.

“Just… just two more.” She said, her voice wavering. She returned the objects to the duffel, and removed a Human Skull with carvings on it and a price tag attached, holding this in one hand, she shouted, “Light of Truth!”

She almost collapsed after that. I rushed over to catch her.

“Hey, you really should take a break! You might die if you keep this up!”

“Light magic… can’t kill... directly,” she managed to say, “only… in... inca… knock out .”

“Well, then take a break before then!” I demanded, worried.

“Can’t… spells... won’t stick… need... to finish.” she said attempting to get up.

“Fine then,” I said helping her up.

She returned the human skull to the bag, and pulled out a large hourglass. Holding it on one hand, and returning her other hand to Kyōfu’s head, she said as forcefully as she could, “Permanency!”

She collapsed right afterwards. I managed to catch her before she hit the ground. I checked her pulse and breathing. They were both good. I then picked her up and laid her onto her couch. then I went into the kitchen and rummaged around for a cup, a bowl and a wash cloth. I filled them both with cool water, and brought them into the living room, placing them on end table next to her head.

“Now what do I do?” I said aloud.

“You could sit and wait for her to get up.” A voice said.

“Who said that!” I said, surprised.

“Down here, Reliquary.” the voice said bored. I looked down to see Kyōfu licking his paw.

“Don’t tell me, You can talk now.” I said mockingly.

“Yup.” He said, without moving his mouth.

“But you didn’t move your mouth.” I said confused.

“I also don’t have human vocal cords, but you didn’t question that.” He said sarcastically, licking his other paw.

“Touché,” I replied, “So, do you know when she will be getting up, what with you being her familiar and all.”

“Oh, give it a half an hour to an hour, and she’ll be up, but she won’t be walking around for a while.” He said, walking over to her.

“Okay. Why is it that she gets so wiped out after using magic?” I asked.

“Because, she is doing it wrong.” he replied jumping lightly onto her stomach.

“What? She read the whole book on light magic! How can she be doing it wrong?” I exclaimed.

“Because, she doesn’t have the tools to do it properly.” he said calmly, ”Ever wonder why mages in stories use wands, staves and other things? It’s because they need those things to cast spells without passing out.” He explained.

“Oh, well, that makes sense.” I said calming down.

“Although, eventually she won’t need to use them. Reaching True Enlightenment and all that.” He said offhandedly. He then curled up and went to sleep.

She woke up about 45 minutes later, at which point I had gotten impatient and was studying her poster collection.

“Hey, you here?” I heard her mumble.

“Yeah, I’m here” I said walking over to her.

She tried to clear her throat, “My throat is dry. Can you get me some water.”

I pointed to the cup next to her. “Oh,”she said.

I helped her into a sitting position, and she took a drink, “Thanks.” she said

She tried to get up, and fell back to the seat.

“Don’t try to stand up yet, you still need to recover.” I said,

“How long was I out?” She asked.”

“About 45 minutes, give or take,” I said “And, by the way, you really need to stop passing out.”

She laughed at that, “Well, I will try not to.” she said, “Hey, did anything… strange... happen after I passed out?”

“No, nothing much.” I said nonchalantly.

“You aren't gonna tell her about about me speaking?” Kyōfu said, startling Ava.

“Who said that?” She said, surprised.

I looked at Kyōfu, sighed, and said, “You could have done that more subtly.”

“Really? How?” he replied unconvinced.

Ava, noticed me looking at Kyōfu, put two and two together and said, “You can talk?” She said uncertainly.

“Why yes, I can, my dear Ava.” He replied.

“But, You don’t have vocal cords.” She said, confused.

“He doesn’t open his mouth when he speaks, either.”

“Of course I don’t open my mouth, it would be jarring to look at.” he explained, then he added, ”Also feline anatomy doesn’t allow for much lip movement.”

“Yeah, I see your point.” I said.

“But, how can you talk at all?” Ava demanded.

“Well, you did this. Don’t you know?” he replied, tilting his head.

“I did?” she asked, confused.

“Yes, when you chose me as your familiar.” He responded, “A familiar gains sentience and the ability to speak in any language its owner knows.”

“Oh, but how do you know all of this?”

“I know this, because you know this.” He responded, calmly.

“I didn’t know any of that!” she exclaimed.

“Oh, but you did. You may not have known it actively but, you knew it.” He stated.

“Well, back to the matter at hand.” I said attempting to steer the conversation, “How do we get to the next item on the list, and which item will that be?”

“Well, as we said before, the next closest on my list is the Folio of Fire, in Yellowstone, and you said yours was the Seven League Boots, in some farm in Kansas. But Yellowstone is a very large place, and Kansas is even larger.” She explained.

“I assume we will be directed to them and not need to search all of either Kansas or Yellowstone. But, that still leaves us the problem of getting there.”

“You don’t have a car do you?” She asked after a few seconds.

“Nope, do you?” I responded

“Nope.” she said.

We stayed quiet for a few minutes, until she said, “Aha! I have an idea.” and summoned the Guidebook, “Here, check for a new artifact.” She said and handed me the box.

I set up the circle and placed my hand over the Guidebook. Immediately, it told me of a new artifact. The Gem of Perfect Trade , It would make it so any transaction the owner undertook, would turn out in his or her favor.

“You were right, the guidebook just told me of a new artifact, The Gem of Perfect Trade, it will help us get some money to go get the next items on the list.”

“Great, where is it?”

“Here in Utah.”

“Great let’s go get it!” she said starting to get up, but lacking the strength, she lied back down.

“But, you see there is a problem, you are too weak to come with, and it will be leaving the country by tomorrow, and I’m not sure if I can get it on my own.” I explained.

“She will be fine in an hour, then you can go get it.” Kyōfu said, “So in the meantime, you two should come up with a strategy.”

“Oh, good. Hey, Kyōfu, you said she needs magical tools to do better magic right?”

“Yes, I did” He responded.

“Well, what do they need to be specifically?”

“Well, for one she will need a staff, preferably made of either ancient hardwood, or Silver.”

“Why those two?”

Ava interjected at this point, “Hey! Stop talking about me like I’m not in the room! And what’s this all about anyway”

“Sorry, I thought you knew. When I asked him about why you get so tired he said…” I stopped and let Kyōfu finish.

“I said it was because you lacked proper focus items, such as a staff, or a robe.” he finished.

“Oh, well I didn’t know, or at least didn’t actively know.” She said.

“Well, back to what I was asking why those two materials?”

“Ancient Hardwood, when harvested properly, has innate magical reservoirs, and Silver is a very good magical conductor.”

“Okay, what other items might she need?”

“A robe, doesn't matter what it is made of, but the design is important, it is a bit too complex to describe, suffice it to say, it is very specifically made.”

“Okay, anything else?”

“A rod or a wand, made in a similar fashion to the staff. There are other focus items, but they are not as easily acquired.”

“Well, that helps.” I said to Kyōfu, and then i turned to Ava, “Are you hungry?”

“That depends, are you cooking?” She said, hopefully.

“I can try, but, my cooking skills will be severely limited by being in a strange kitchen. What do you have?”

“I have…” she started, then said, “Okay, before you say anything, I never really learned to cook. So, I don’t buy anything too difficult to make, and as a result.” She paused and blurted out, “all I have is convenience store food.”

My jaw dropped, “That... seems very out of character with how you look.” I responded.

“Oh, you mean about how I’m not overweight? One of the perks of having a fast metabolism; I can’t gain weight.”

“Well, that’s just unfair.”

“Why, are you jealous?” She said mockingly.

“Not really, as I also haven’t had problems with my weight.”

“Oh, do you have the same thing?”

“I don't know. I just figured I ate healthy.” I said, “So, let’s see what I can make from what we have here.” I said as I entered the kitchen.

I looked in the fridge, and called out, “Why do you have 3 pickle jars filled with water, an empty bottle of ketchup and a half full bag of shredded cheese in here?”

“Uhm…”

“Nevermind.” I said, and started to rummage through the fridge.“Let’s see here... we have... an unopened package of american cheese… a bottle of soy sauce, 7 eggs, half a tub of butter, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and a bad jug of milk. Okay, now for the cabinets.”

I began to rummage through the cabinets and list off the contents, “A jar of Peanut butter and Jelly, A bag of Hotdog Buns, A whole box of Ramen, A bag of chips, 4 cans of Stew, and some Bread. I think I can work with this.”

I grabbed the bread, butter, and cheese, and asked, “Hey, do you have a skillet. Nevermind, found it.” and I proceeded to cook.

She came into the kitchen and asked, “What are you making?”

“Grilled cheese. It was the best I could come up with with what I had.”

“Is this another one of your secret recipes?”

“Nah, just normal grilled cheese.”

Kyofu came over, “Ava, You should still be sitting down, you are still weak from the spells.”

“I am not.” She said wobbling, “Okay, maybe you are right.” she said before walking back to the couch.

“Hey, Kyōfu, do you want a plate?” I asked him as he left.

“No, it would not be sustaining for me.”

“Why?”

“As a Feline Familiar, I now require a large amount of living meat every day to sustain myself.”

“Just out of curiosity, how much meat?”

“About 5 times my normal intake, so about 33 mice a day.”

“That… that’s a lot of meat. Is there any other way to sustain you?”

“Well, that is for dead meat. If I kill the animal myself, the number drops drastically.”

“Oh, that’s better. So, now we have to figure a way to feed you while we are searching for more artifacts.” I said picking up the plate of 8 finished grilled cheese sandwiches.

I walked into the living room, and asked, “Where do you want to eat?”

“Right here is fine.” She said pointing to the couch.

I set the plate on the seat in between us and we started eating.

“This is actually really good.” She said, “How do you do this so well?”

“No idea, I jus-” I started but was interrupted by Kyōfu jumping on my lap.

“There is someone at the door” he whispered to me.

“One second, I have to check something.” I said getting up, and putting on the Tarnkappe.

I walked over to the window next to the door, and peered out at the the side of the door. There was a man in a suit nervously standing there, holding a briefcase. He raised his hand to the door bell, but dropped it back to his side. He did this a few more times. Eventually I got impatient, and walked over to the door, removed the Tarnkappe, hid it, and opened the door.

“Hello...?” I said.

“Oh, uhm, is there an Ava Lillian Lucio living here?” He asked nervously.

Ava called from the couch, “Who is asking?”

“Uhm... Well... Uhm…” He stammered.

“Come on, you can do this. Who are you?”

“Oh, uhm, Mark Thompson, I mean, uhm, I am Mark Thompson.”

“Okay, Mark, now for the next question. Why are you here?”

“Oh, I was told to come here, to this address, and give this briefcase, here, to a woman named Ava Lillian Lucio.”

“Told by who?”

“My boss, George Greyson, the CEO of GreyTech.” He said with some confidence, but it quickly vanished.

“Okay, What’s in the briefcase?” I asked.

“I, uhm... don’t really… know. He just gave it to me, and said to take it here and give it to her.”

“Okay, anything else?” I asked taking the briefcase.

“Well, there is one other thing.” he said before he reached into his suit and pulled out a manilla envelope, “This envelope has the key to it and a paper that you are supposed to read before you open the briefcase.”

“Okay, is that everything?”

“Yes, so, I will be going now.” He said hurrying away.

“Okay.” I said closing the door.

“What was all that about?” Ava asked.

“Dunno. Some guy in a suit said he was told to give this to you.”

“What is it?” She said sitting up to see.

“As far as I can tell, it’s an ordinary briefcase with an envelope.”

“Well, let’s open it!” She said starting to get up, but failing and collapsing on the couch.

“Actually, I think we should wait on the opening of it you are still weak.” I said, “But, you probably can read this paper without difficulty.” I said handing her the manilla envelope.

“Okay let’s see what you have in store for me.” She said opening the envelope and removing the contents, a key, and a piece of paper.

“This is some really fancy paper.” She said before she started to read.

She blinked and shook her head, then started to read it again.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I can’t read it. It hurts my eyes. Here,” She said holding it out to me, “ You read it to me.”

“Okay.” I said taking it and starting to read it. The writing made it difficult, it was handwritten with shining gold ink. I forced my eyes to adjust and began reading.

“Dear, Ava Lillian Lucio;

If my calculations are correct, and this letter, and briefcase, arrive as I planned, you will have just exhausted your magic supply while creating a Feline Familiar.

Do not be alarmed, I mean you no harm, quite the opposite infact.

I have placed in the accompanying briefcase a few items you will find useful.

Feel free to open the briefcase at this time.”

I stopped here and set the briefcase down on the floor.in front of her and waited for her to open it before continueing.

The first item you will see is a length of fabric made from a combination of Atlantean and Atlesian spider-silk , woven using a Fate-Loom, coated in Nightdust, and washed in Dragonblood, making it a very potent magical fabric.

The second item inside is a hunk of Moonsilver, it is 70% lighter than normal silver and supposedly conducts magic much better.

The third item is a piece of bark from an ancient White Oak. I hear those are very potent. Alas, I could not send the entire limb of the tree in the briefcase so you will have to swing by and pick that up.

And, finally the last item in the case is a Gem that I figured you could use right now, I’ll let you guess what it does.

Consider these a gift, and use them however you see fit.

Sincerely,
George Greyson
CEO ”

“That’s all that is on the letter. What do you want to do now?”

“Well, I figure that since we don’t need to go get the Gem of Perfect Trade, we should eat and relax, while I recover my strength.”

“Okay, but, why don’t we need to get the Gem of Perfect Trade?” I said before taking a bite of my grilled cheese.

“Because it’s right here.” Ava said holding the Gem from the briefcase.

“What, he just gave us an artifact?” I said almost choking on my grilled cheese.

“Yep, seems like.”

“Okay.” I started eating, then a thought occurred to me. ”Hey, why send just the bark?”

“What?”

“The White Oak treebark, I mean, I guess he needed to send proof he had the tree branch, but a picture would have worked much better, so why just the bark?”

“Dunno” she said, before Kyōfu interrupted

“Potent magic items, like an ancient White Oak, tend to give off interference. Also Ava, you should keep the bark in your lap for now.”

“Why?” She said picking up the bark, “Whoa, what was that?”

“The bark contains Magic, and you are absorbing it, you should be back to full strength soon, now.”

“Oh, that’s good.“ she said setting the bark on her lap.

A half an hour later, we were finished with our grilled cheeses.

“So, are you back to full strength yet, now that you are done eating?” I asked.

She stood up and move around a bit, “Yeah, seem like. So, what now?”

“Well, it seems to me we need to go get you your magic stick, and meat this George Greyson, person.”

“Sounds like a plan, Let me get the stuff.” She said packing up the briefcase.

“Shouldn’t I carry the briefcase, since it weighs less to me?”

“Sure. Kyōfu, time to go.” She called out, just before he jumped on her shoulders

“Ah, but my dear Ava, you forget one important thing.” He said.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“Do either of you know where this Greyson person is?”

“Oh, right.” I said.

“Maybe, we could look it up?” She suggested.

“That could work.” I said.

After five minutes on the internet, we located the Greytech building.

“Alright let’s get going.” Ava said enthusiastically.

We left the apartment at 1:30 in the afternoon.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-12-28, 03:50 PM
Okay, that is all the the chapters I have done so far.
And one major thing i have to bring up.

I would not recommend doing anything Ava does in these first chapters.
That is one good way to get yourself killed, or kidnapped or worse.

So with that being said. have at it.