PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Does this switch of SLAs seem fair/balanced?

Jowgen
2015-12-28, 03:37 PM
EDIT:

Thread's original purpose of finding guidelines for how to switch out racial SLAs didn't turn up much, so I went with what I had. In my latest post down, I listed the switches I am thinking of doing, and am now looking for feedback on how people think they look fairness/balance-wise.

A lot of races and templates grant SLAs; and I am wondering what published guidelines there are for switching these out for different ones.

I know that there is an article on the half-fiend template that touches on this topic a bit, but that's about it.

So yeah, are there any such guidelines or examples anyone could point me to?

Uncle Pine
2015-12-28, 04:56 PM
A lot of races and templates grant SLAs; and I am wondering what published guidelines there are for switching these out for different ones.

I know that there is an article on the half-fiend template that touches on this topic a bit, but that's about it.

So yeah, are there any such guidelines or examples anyone could point me to?
I know only of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingSpecialAbilities):

You can add any sort of spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary ability to a creature. As with a class level, you should determine how much, or how little, this ability adds to the creature’s existing repertoire. A suite of abilities that work together should be treated as a single modifier for this purpose. If the ability (or combination of abilities) significantly increases the monster’s combat effectiveness, increase its CR by 2. Minor abilities increase the creature’s CR by 1, and truly trivial abilities may not increase CR at all. If the special abilities a monster gains are not tied to a class or Hit Die increase, this CR increase stacks.

A significant special attack is one that stands a good chance of incapacitating or crippling a character in one round. A significant special quality is one that seriously diminishes the monster’s vulnerability to common attacks. Do not add this factor twice if a monster has both special attacks and special qualities.

DrMotives
2015-12-28, 05:07 PM
The web article on "build your own half-fiend" allows a lot of flexibility on the SLAs, and Races of Stone has feats to play with racial SLAs, as does Drow of the Underdark. Neither of those books allows a total swap out of SLAs though, just expanded options like increasing their caster level. There are also feats like "Spell Hand" that flat out give anyone a few new SLAs.

MisterKaws
2015-12-28, 06:35 PM
I find it better to not follow guidelines at all, just compare the SLAs to the character's current level, if you judge they're too strong, increase CR/LA by 1, repeat this until you think it's balanced, and it should be fine.

Jowgen
2015-12-31, 02:31 AM
Alrighty then, I've been of looking into the specific switches I'd like to do, and now I am hoping to get some feedback from you gents and ladies. The switches I am looking to do are for the Half-Fey template, with the point being to make it extremely Good-alignment focused.

I've mainly followed the "equivalent or lower combat usefullness" suggestion from Half-Fiendish variety, as the templates' SLA progressions are so similar.

SLA to lose
SLA to gain
Reasoning for switch

Hypnotism
Plant Growth
They just both struck me as similarly Fey-themed and with similar in/out of combat utility, even though levels differ

Detect Law
Vision of Punishment
Both are divinations of the same level, and while Vision has more offensive power, it comes with the Str damage cost

Protection from Law
Remove Curse
Levels are different, but while Protection from Law is a wide-reaching useful buff, remove curse is completely reactive

Suggestion
Create Lantern Archon
Equivalent spell level, suggestion is potentially encounter ending, Create Lantern Archon comes with the sacrifice cost and needs serious optimization/dedication to be of genuine use

Confusion
Door to Great Evil
Equivalent spell level, one can end encounters while the other's only use is to get into encounters

Eyebite
Heal
Equivalent spell level, channeling of positive energy vs evil energy

Dominate Person
Hallow
Equivalent spell level, one lets you minion-mance extensively, the other has niche uses